• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MELEE-FC Tournament Ruleset Discussion

KishPrime

King of the Ship of Fools
BRoomer
I want to siphon off discussion of the rules here so the other thread does not get overwhelmed. If you wish to participate in the conversation, please read the Melee rules listed here.

To kick things off, here's a WALL OF TEXT

Objectives of the Ruleset
1. A compromise between FC-era rules and Modern-day Rules in honor of the theme of reunion
2. An inclusion of as much of Melee as one can include without leading to game-breaking tactics, true to the spirit of the MELEE-FC franchise
3. A way for players to find neutral matchup ground amongst the diverse stages through a combination of stage-strike and bans

Primary CritiquesNo Input from Community
I solicited at least 3 players who were all heavily pro-MBR5, experienced, and of different ages. All suggested that it was outside the norm, but that it wasn’t so ridiculous that it would stop them from coming and enjoying the tournament. I talked to multiple players about it who were excited. In fact, upon posting of the rules in the thread, there have been an almost equal number of people excited about the addition of the old-guard stages as there have been complaining. Look, running a major tournament sucks. Everything you do pretty much makes someone angry. Trust me when I say that I take everything that gets posted seriously. Please be sure that I do want feedback, and I do respect people’s opinions.

Difference from the Norm
It is different! Really! In a totally customizable game! Ok, so this community has evolved a long way and has been narrowing down its preferences for 10 years. However, the MBR list does not speak for everyone in the community. When’s the last time a major ran with these 5 additional stages, just to add that particular aspect of depth and variety back in? It’s not like we’re adding items. It’s not like we’re adding game-breaking stages in. We’re talking about shifting 95% of matchups, mostly far less than 10% either way from an MBR5. That’s a neutral statement, neither an argument for or against. It just is. Even if you hate everything non-MBR5, you can even ban your 3 least-favorite stages PERMANENTLY for the entire tournament. If there is a compromise to be found between the two schools of thought, I’m not sure one can be found that is much closer than this list.

Stage Hazards
The stage hazards in these stages are actually some of the most-localized and least-random hazards in the game. They provide additional input that players must analyze while making decisions about zoning and stage control. Outside of a philosophical objection to the existence of these things (which honestly, isn’t an argument you are going to win here), I don’t think there is much room for debate.

Character (Im)Balance
First of all, there’s a distinct lack of evidence here and a TON of theorycrafting. Which I’m happy to see, actually, but it needs to stay in the realm of theorycraft unless you have some evidence or can present things formally, as PEEF did in the other thread. Otherwise, I’m not certain how there can be widespread agreement on how these stages will shift things within all of the 35-55 primary matchups in the game. I suspect that some characters will get better and other characters will get worse. The same thing happened when the stages were eliminated in the first place, which leads me to the point below.

Character Diversity
The common statement is that adding stages always favors the top tier. Really? Look at results from old tournaments. FCD had Fox, Falco, ICs, Sheik, Marth, Peach, Falcon, and Luigi represented in the Top 10. You cannot get more diverse than that, and the stage list was even wider then. Some have told me that the game has changed. Well, there’s two answers to that.
1. Where’s the evidence that character variety was getting stale? List some majors with abundant stages that had character variety issues that led to stages getting narrowed down
2. If the game has indeed changed, as people keep telling me, isn’t it possible that characters have not actually been fully tested on these stages?

Consistent/Random Results
This simply is not a problem, nor is it especially debatable. Again, the stage hazards in these stages are actually some of the most-localized and least-random hazards in the game. If players in 2007 understood how to deal with stage variety enough to provide consistent placings at a time when RANDOM first stages were also used, certainly the vastly more technical players of 2012 can do so with a stage strike (no sarcasm here, by the way). Yes, you could lose because the Brinstar lava interrupted your final combo. But is that really why you lost? What if the other player ceded the advantageous low ground to you in the first place because he was being more cautious of the lava? What about the 50 other decisions you made that round that caused you to get hit throughout the round? How was your recovery after the lava’s interruption? My suggestion on this point is that you own the match from beginning to end and try accounting for these hazards while you play, accepting the risk/reward tradeoff of certain positions.

Mushrooom Kingdom 2
There have been several criticisms levied against the stage, but I’m not sensing a coalescing argument against it. Forgive me if I’m missing something. Edge campers have to deal with three things:
1. They are placing themselves in danger of a low% kill, and actually limiting their own options by doing so
2. It is not a convenient position from which to use most projectiles, so practically they must earn a lead before they can take up residence there
3. They are ceding control of the eggs (and to those that argue against eggs as a matter of course, eggs certainly have no more influence on a match than a zombie turnip, and I would suggest they are actually more predictable/reliable, more dependent on match flow/stage control, more skill-based to acquire, and less affective of end result)
The middle plat is certainly strong, but the person with stage control IS supposed to have an advantage. It can be approached via the carpet and two different ledges, and the log, so there are options available.
The last argument is that of ledge stalling with Sheik or others. I’m not actually seeing how this is remarkably different from edge stalling on the outside edges of stages, and in fact can see several possible downsides to these ledges compared to those.
I welcome more debate on any of these points.

Jungle Japes
People suggest that they might die to a random Klaptrap. Well, they aren’t totally random, so you can plan on some safety after one comes, and you also have to actually be forced down there by your opponent before one can get you. This is a part of the risk/reward gameplay and stage control here.

Fun
These rules have nothing to do with fun and more about what we believe to be essential to the core of Melee. Believe it or not, some of us can take Mute City deadly serious in the midst of competition and play accordingly. Some of us actually do believe that the strategy of positioning, stage control, and zoning, are just as valuable as having flat space and platforms in which to do combos. This game is unbelievable, and there are about a million ways to play it.

I ask you to keep an open mind during the discussion.

KishPrime

BRoomer
one question: would you consider any of these stages more "neutral" than others?
I'm playing a game with asymmetrical characters in which every single matchup is dependent upon stage shape, size of horizontal and vertical borders, size of base platform, number and location of platforms, transparency of surfaces, and types of stage hazards. Getting to the word neutral requires so much generalization that I have a hard time doing so.

But yeah, if I'm totally generalizing, I'd probably say Battlefield.

KishPrime

BRoomer
I'm sorry, I honestly don't understand the question. I can't grasp the neutral concept well enough to do so.

That said, the system screams player control to me. As best as I can tell, the entire bans+striking system offers more player control over the extreme ends of matchup situations than ever before with this many stages, and always ends up on the middle-ground stage for the starter.

The TO obviously influences it with the choice of starter stages, but that's unavoidable. Every stage added and taken away changes matchups. Sakurai changed them too, with his choice of varied stage designs and unique features.

I believed in the neutral concept so long as there was a random stage for the first stage, because it makes sense to try and prevent wild swings attributed with random factors. With stage striking placing the power entirely in the hands of the players, it seems wiser to give them full access to the competitive stages and let them figure out the median of the matchup.

If this isn't clear, I don't generally believe in attempting to purposely manipulate matchups to neutrality with rule design, because I don't think it can be done. I prefer to toss in everything that's reasonably competitive until the game tells us it's not anymore, and let the matchups sort out themselves. It's not like Ganon or ICs are winning nationals with the MBR5 set, so I have a hard time believing that there will be a notably consequential difference under the FC set. I suspect that, as always, the skill tiers are just too vast in this game compared to the stage matchup variations.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
I don't really like Mk2 at all because it's not a traditional stage to fight on. For example, if the game's purpose is to send someone off-stage as fast as possible then on that map it deviates from that completely because there is no edgeguarding available. The faster characters obviously have an advantage on this since they can just run around and bait you with ease without you being able to do anything about it.

Kal

Smash Champion
The above post gives me so much to sigh about.

leffen

Smash Champion
wow

glad I'm not going to this

nationals should NEVER differ their ruleset from the standard... If this ruleset was actually used somewhere else then I might be okay with it

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
true, but anything that wobbles goes to, he often ends up rather high on the list. linguini and kage both tend to do much better in teams, but i haven't even really thought about the teams stages, and how those factor in very well. but specific examples of them doing well aren't really all that relevant, so i'll just leave that there.

just so you know, i agree with the idea of including these stages in the tournament. I maintain that the stages outside of the current MBR5 are reasonable to include as counterpicks. but the ability to strike to stages that tend to appeal much further to mobility or some other facet of the stage/character interaction is what bothers me. I do recognize that striking from mbr5 and then proceeding to ban 3 may take longer, but i also believe that starting sets on what would normally be an opponents counterpick stage in todays ruleset feels...wrong...or something...idk, i'm lost for a word as far as that feeling goes.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
Because it was mentioned, I will repost what would be likely results of a matchup. Do it yourself for matchups you are experienced to show how things will probably play out:

ICs vs Peach/Jiggs/Samus (collectively: Floaties).

MBR Stagelist:
ICs ban Dreamland, Floaties ban Yoshis/Stadium.
Likey first match: Battlefield
ICs counterpick: Stadium/Yoshis
Floaty counterpick: FoD

FC Stagelist:
ICs ban Rainbow Cruise, Mute City, and Brinstar
Floaty bans Yoshis, Stadium, and FD
Likey first match:This will leave Battlefield, MK2, Japes, FoD and Dreamland. ICs will have to strike Dreamland and FoD, because they are easily the floaties best stages with MBR. Floaties can force MK2 or Japes for the first match.
ICs counterpick: Battlefield (The usual first neutral map under MBR is now our best counterpick)
Floaty counterpick: Dreamland (What we would ban under MBR)

What does this mean? Against Peach, Puff, Samus (and other characters as well) the first match will strike down to Jungle Japes or MK2, I kid you not. Then if that was not enough, as a counterpick, Puff, Samus, Peach and others will be able to counterpick the stage that the ICs would flat out ban on an MBR list, be it FoD or Dreamland.

TL;DR, this new stagelist will make a HUGE difference vs the MBR stagelist. In ICs vs Floaties, the first map will likely strike down to Japes/M2K. The IC's best counterpick will be Battlefield, and the floaty will be able to pick the stage that would be banned under MBR rules. Not everyone has to care about the ICs, but this is really really bad, and I suspect that similar situations will hold with other characters. (Also, Fly Amanita said he wants to make this his first OoR tournament, so this all applies to him [one of the best players coming to this tournament.])

EDIT: Some ICs might prefer Dreamland over FoD, but the situation stays the same, you can still be forced to play on it, just switch the stages.

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
why not allow kongo jungle 64 and corneria? if mk2 and jungle japes and mute city are in, why not those 2?

Kal

Smash Champion
Leffen argues for fair play in a game where Sheik hard counters 2/3 of the cast with chain grabs on "neutral" stages. Come on guys, let's not pretend that bad matchups are unique to the counterpicks. If you have a point like the one PEEF made (not that I necessarily agree with him) that these stages make it excessive, that's fine. But bad matchups aren't unique to the non-starter stages.

leffen

Smash Champion
Leffen argues for fair play in a game where Sheik hard counters 2/3 of the cast with chain grabs on "neutral" stages. Come on guys, let's not pretend that bad matchups are unique to the counterpicks. If you have a point like the one PEEF made (not that I necessarily agree with him) that these stages make it excessive, that's fine. But bad matchups aren't unique to the non-starter stages.
When did I mention matchups.

These stages are far too "random" and they require such different set of skills compared to the neutrals that it isn't really "fair" since no one ever plays with such a ******** ruleset outside of this tournament

Also: Rainbow cruise lags in teams. Test it.

Kal

Smash Champion
You're abusing the word "fair." In general, if an option is available to both players, it is fair. The misconception that it's unfair that Peach beats Falco on Brinstar, for example, arises from the notion that you are somehow forced to use Falco when a player picks that stage. I merely assumed that is what you meant when you mentioned fairness. I don't think it's unfair to have a ruleset which tests a different set of skills than what is usually tested. And it's not like these stages didn't exist prior to Kish's announcement. I understand you not liking it, but calling it unfair seems excessive. In actuality, I think the MBR5 ruleset is unfair. I am prevented from using Rainbow Cruise, Brinstar, and Mute City not because these stages are broken, but because the majority deems them "unfit for competition" (read: they don't like them).

And I think that the stages being "too random" is open for debate, at the very least. Results from previous events with these stages legal have been consistent, which suggests that variance does not increase significantly from these stages. Most complaints are just theorycafted nonsense or anecdotes.

KishPrime

BRoomer
These stages are far too "random" and they require such different set of skills compared to the neutrals that it isn't really "fair" since no one ever plays with such a ******** ruleset outside of this tournament
Having played on the stages competitively for four years and finding virtually no randomness issues, I don't think it is out of line to ask for an explanation of why you feel that there is anything random about them.

Also, I would appreciate it if you please consider this is an open discussion. An MBR5 starter list has been proposed as a reasonable alternative possibility.

Shadrach - two reasons. One, the logistics of the ban system are tough enough with 11 stages. Two, we actually dropped off 3-4 stages that we felt were fair in the interests of compromise. Clearly some people are not viewing it that way.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
Also, I would appreciate it if you please consider this is an open discussion. An MBR5 starter list has been proposed as a reasonable alternative possibility.
Cool, my statements have been heard, understood, and considered.

I guess i'll lean back from this point and watch the more unfortunate part of this discussion pan out.

Leffen vs all who oppose him, begin!

leffen

Smash Champion
Another problem I have with this moveset is for people with 2 character mains vs a player who only has one, say a puff/fox main against a marth main.

Both puff/fox have a roughly even matchup against marth, but with this ruleset, having 2 character gives you a huge benefit.

Puff/Fox goes Puff for first match: Bans FD, Battlefield and Yoshi's
Marth bans Brinstar, Kongojungle64 and Mutecity.
Left is MK2, RC, FoD, DL64, Pokemon stadium
Marth sucks balls on DL64 and RC, while puff is weak at PS/MK2 so the first match is on FoD which is clearly a Puff stage.
Normally Marth would strike DL64+FoD and the first match would be played at YS, BF or FD, all relatively neutral stages for the matchup.

Puff wins, and the marth now has to choose between Pokemonstadium, DL64, RC and MK2.

RC/PS/MK2 is clearly fox best stages in this ruleset, and DL64 is clearly Puff's best stage in the normal ruleset.
What's worse, is that the marth player doesn't know that the puff player also plays fox, and if he counterpicks RC/MK2 he really counterpicks himself.

Even if he would win the second match (lets say on PS) the Puff/Fox main can counterpick to play on RC, MK2 or DL64 >_<

The more I think about it this is ****ing ********

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Are you seriously complaining that someone who plays 2 top tier characters shouldn't have anadvantage over someone who plays 1 when it comes to picking a stage?

As a DK player, I fully support MK2

:phone:

KishPrime

BRoomer
Are you seriously complaining that someone who plays 2 top tier characters shouldn't have anadvantage over someone who plays 1 when it comes to picking a stage?
Yes, that's exactly how it is designed.

<_<

Seems like rewarding players who have more whole-game knowledge should be a good thing.

leffen

Smash Champion
As for the randomness- are you serious? Yes, both brinstar, mk2 and junglejapes have PATTERNS, but there is still a VERY huge difference (5 seconds often... and that is A LOT)

Even if you know what pattern the fish takes on JJ for example, that there is still enough variation in the timing that would mean death/no death from a shine at 0% and you can't react to it either.

and the fact that they play a top 2 character shouldn't be enough? Do you seriously support the fact that having a secondary helps you that much? Puff/Fox vs Marth on a normal ruleset would barely change it all (marths worst stage is still DL64, Marths best is YS/FD)

The example could be used with LOTS of other characters too >_>

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
leffen, your argument is basically that the mbr5 stages are more neutral. which is reasonable. but the fact that these potential stages are less neutral doesn't necessarily make them unreasonable as counterpick stages.

KishPrime

BRoomer
First, all of those hazards are positional and can be evaluated in terms of risk and reward.

Second, I said randomness in results, which is distinctly different from randomness. Randall saving you can be random, too, and is arguably just as influential as any of those things. I think more of my matches have been swung by zombie turnips than by the random effects on those stages.

leffen

Smash Champion
wow you are serious >_>

Randall is ZERO percent random.

Turnips are random yes, BUT, you still have to hit with them (which americans are god ****ing awful at avoiding btw, especially when comparing to swedes, according to armada) and peach is HEAVILY limited when holding a turnip.

Aside from that, banning Peach or pulling turnips is much harder and worse than banning a stage that already has tons of other problems.

and please, enough with your terrible anecdotal advice. We both know that you dont know **** about top level play in todays metagame, how about you act like it.
Provide some evidence that proves that there isn't randomness in the result of matches on these stages with hazards that can OHKO you.

There is strong evidence suggesting that the RNG will affect the outcome of the matches in a unpredictable way, and your anecdotal advice is not strong enough to disregard that.

Kal

Smash Champion
It's important to keep in mind that something can be random and have almost no impact on consistency, and conversely something can be non-random and have a large impact on consistency. If the cloud were random, for example, results would not be largely skewed, and I expect variance would increase very little (if it all). On the other hand, if a Shy Guy passed by every 45 seconds and took a stock from the player with more stock, this would be decidedly non-random, but would have a really large impact on the consistency of results.

Leffen, is there really any such evidence? Because, to the best of my knowledge, very few tournaments in today's metagame have run with these stages. What evidence is there that results would be randomized because of small random occurrences (that can be accounted for in meaningful ways) on stages like Brinstar and Mute City?

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
wow

glad I'm not going to this

nationals should NEVER differ their ruleset from the standard... If this ruleset was actually used somewhere else then I might be okay with it
Sucks you'll be missing out on one of the best tournaments because you're working on a scrub mentality =/

PEEF!

Smash Hero
First, all of those hazards are positional and can be evaluated in terms of risk and reward.
I believe it a legitimate point to raise that we would like to play our opponent, and spend less time/effort evaluating the risk and reward of Klaptrap possibly killing us during an attempted edgeguard.

leffen

Smash Champion
Scrub mentality? LMAO

It's simply not worth it to travel overseas to play in a tournament with a god awful ruleset.
I'm 99% sure Armada feels the same way, but don't quote me on that lol.

Kal

Smash Champion
First, PEEF, keep in mind that there is always a "player vs. stage" element. Being forced to avoid grabs on FD because chaingrabs are more potent there isn't really any different than being forced to account for Rainbow Cruise's movement.

Second, what you've stated is just opinion. It's not like "player vs. player" goes away when you introduce "stage hazards" (if the idea of a stage hazard is even well-defined in the first place).

KishPrime

BRoomer
Aside from that, banning Peach or pulling turnips is much harder and worse than banning a stage that already has tons of other problems.

Provide some evidence that proves that there isn't randomness in the result of matches on these stages with hazards that can OHKO you.
Banning Peach is actually fairly easy. Boom. Done. See, the difference is that I don't think that randomness is inherently bad - it is how you DEAL with the randomness. And I don't distinguish between stage and character randomness like you choose to.

Here's your evidence - If you were on Jungle Japes, alone, would you ever get hit by a klaptrap? No, you wouldn't. Same with the lava on Brinstar, etc. They are positional hazards. Thus, your opponent must be the reason that you are being placed into more risky positions where you are vulnerable to the hazard. This rewards the player who maintains stage control over your opponent.

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
You're limiting yourself because of something you consider cheap or unfair, Leffen.
That's the definition of a scrub mentality.

I think someone should try and log each tournament set's strikes and counterpicks. That way any arguments made that "This will happen X-amount of the time" like it is in PEEF's post will be shown to be true or false. It would be difficult, but doable to collect the data.

Note: I think this should apply to bracket matches and not pools.

Kal

Smash Champion
I think Overswarm has mentioned wanting to do this. I am currently working on formalizing a concept of stage neutrality based on matchups. I've actually got the entire thing ready to go, I just need to write a program, and want it to be nice with a GUI. I've never used PyQt before, so it's going to be a little while before I publish anything.

leffen

Smash Champion
Sigh.

Massive, the reason I write is because I care about the scene. Having such a terrible ruleset will in my opinion have a bad affect on the community, and it makes sure that I will not be attending this event, which obvious is not to my liking
How is that possibly hard to understand?

MDZ:

Please, "A scrub is a player who is handicapped by self-imposed rules that the game knows nothing about. A scrub does not play to win. "

I would use this ruleset to the limit IF I ATTENDED, which I will not. I'm not handicapping myself, I'm simply making a decision based on facts.
You are essentially calling people who don't play brawl because of tripping/people who don't go to movies they have no interest in seeing a "scrub"

I am not calling these "cheap" or "gay" and I'm not imposing a rule for myself to not use them, like a scrub would do.

stfu please.

Top Bottom