• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MELEE-FC10R Legacy...is done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chroma

Smash Apprentice
top 8 round robin = no hype

also get ***** people who were able to stay in winners LMAO
On one hand, continuation sets gave people in winners a slight advantage... that they earned... over one player... okay yeah it's not so good.

On the other hand, hungrybox lost one set and was done.

Still, going to be a lot of great matches on youtube. Temporary hype < this... sometimes.

Construct

Smash Journeyman
The round robin endformat gave SO many cool matches that we wouldn't have gotten to see otherwise. And who wouldn't want to see darkrain string 5 knees together on mute city :p?

Congratulations Mango!

Habefiet

Smash Journeyman
Speaking as someone who was there...

I will agree that in a lot of ways the round robin thing unfairly favored certain players. I will NOT agree that it killed the hype. You can pretend you'd have gotten hyped for Hbox v Kels and Mango v Sfat in Winners Semis if you want, but I just don't believe you. Players winning or losing in the pools was equatable to winning or losing in bracket. And we got so many matches that would not have happened at all. I mean. No crap matches between two people that had already lost a few were not as hype. But they still happened instead of nothing. Meanwhile every one of Mango/Hbox/Axe/Sfat's matches seemed tense because a single upset or surprise loss could change everything.

I will save more eloquent remarks for the results thread and once I'm not posting on my iPod. Suffice it to say that I honestly thought the round robins were so legit that with a few tweaks to handling winners/losers I'd enjoy seeing another major try it.

:phone:

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
Shoutouts to jeffgordon and everyone that helped clean, you are the greatest and I am so tired.

So pumped to sleep, so more in results or whatever.

KishSquared

Smash Master
Speaking as someone who was there...

I will agree that in a lot of ways the round robin thing unfairly favored certain players. I will NOT agree that it killed the hype. :phone:
First, lots of agreement on the hype. If anything, there was far more hype with the RR format than brackets could ever have generated. Spectators got far more matches than they would have otherwise, and the matches were just... so amazing, so many of them. And yes, we had our finals match last, just as we would have in bracket.

Second, I'll contest the idea that some people were granted 'favors'. People are so focused on winners and losers bracket that they forget that you can lose 8 matches in the first two rounds of pools (combined) and still have an equal chance of winning the entire tournament. Yes, losing that many matches will earn you a poor seed, so there are consequences for losing. However, your slate is always wiped clean, whether from a RR->Bracket or vice versa. In this case, brackets was simply 'round 3' of the tournament, with the continuation sets being the mechanism for seeding, in a sense. In past FCs it was RR-RR-RR-Bracket, but at FCL it was RR-RR-Bracket-RR.

Regardless, we're quite thrilled with how the RR format turned out, and I strongly believe that the people at the tournament were as well. I didn't hear one complaint about fairness throughout the event, so I suspect this is largely an academic argument. I know there will be disagreements and we're fine with that. We run the tournament we want to run and have a blast doing it.

More to come, no doubt, but for now I wanted to comment on the RR things. Mad props to Mango, the entire top 8, and everyone who attended. You guys are the best and the reason why we host tournaments. Thanks for coming!!

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
this was the best tournament i have ever attended

you people at home *****ing about random things can shut up, everyone at the tourney had hella fun and seeing top 8 all play each other was awesome. we had 7 sets of darkrain combos!

thank you tim & jeff, and the rest of the ship, for an amazing tourney experience. this tournament deserves extended shoutouts, which i will write up and post when the results thread comes up.

KishPrime

King of the Ship of Fools
BRoomer
Shoutouts to Rusty Shacklefurd for running out of American dollars and making me take Canadabucks. I assume he is now wearing his FC Legacy shirt proudly over his shirtless self.

The pool format is awesome and I could very easily slaughter any argument you could possibly make against it, but I'm too tired and too right.

Good night, all. Thanks for coming - you guys are all really awesome for making the trip. I didn't get to make my goodbye speech so guess I'll have to do it online later. Results will not be up for a bit - as we'd mentioned earlier tio pretty much died on us so almost everything is manual and I have a ton to catch up on in my real life thanks to every spare moment from the last 2 weeks going to this. I apologize for that, but there's not much to be done about it.

Hope everyone had a good time!

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
this was the best tournament i have ever attended

you people at home *****ing about random things can shut up, everyone at the tourney had hella fun and seeing top 8 all play each other was awesome. we had 7 sets of darkrain combos!

thank you tim & jeff, and the rest of the ship, for an amazing tourney experience. this tournament deserves extended shoutouts, which i will write up and post when the results thread comes up.
this sums up what I wanted to post

even just spectating was exciting.

Scidadle

Smash Champion
Good **** Mango. Next target is Armada.

Amazing to see Darkrain making top 8 after his hiatus. Can't wait to see the videos from him and hax.

KOkingpin

Smash Champion
TOs at this are a joke.

terrible seeding then double elim to round robin? complete joke

Yeah. You are the joke buddy. This kishes are the best. Melee ran super smoothly and just being able to run PM was awesome. Sure the round robin isn't how a normal tournament is ran but we know who the best player is for sure this way.

Edit: shout outs tomorrow.

Omnigamer

All the things
BRoomer
I hope I was able to provide entertainment for some of you, sorry I could not keep a stable stream connection with the WiFi :-/ Everything was recorded though, so I will work on getting those up in the next week or so. It's a lot of stuff to go through though, so I may put out a thread in the near future to help in identifying the players of some of the early pools matches.

Otherwise, wow that was a blast! I am so much suck at these games now, but it's still awesome to be in that atmosphere. Great matches with everybody, great setups, and a big thanks to the hotel for putting up with us. No thanks given to the several wasted people that went knocking on everybody's doors at 5 AM looking for their room though.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
this tournament was amazing.

in the process of my return trip back to NC, but overall the kishes ran a great event, and i'm glad i made the trip up to be a part of it.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
doh are you still looking for games? people are just watching movies and id roam with ya

Hax

Smash Champion
Getting grabbed by darkrain

**** isn't fun

One of the best tournaments ever

baka4moé

Smash Champion
really enjoyed this tournament, i think(hope) i learned a lot. props to the top placers, the mental endurance required to play focused for three days is impressive.

wish i had done better lol but cant complain =P

thanks again kishes!

Naota21t

Smash Champion
seems to me ppl are only praising round robin for top 8 because it provides more sets.

u want more sets then do two rounds of pool.

its just stupid to **** w/ the tourney format for such a big tourney. just because u get more matches in doesnt make it the best or most accurate way.

the fact that someone can lose 8 matches and still make top 8 is absurd.

jeffgordon24

Smash Rookie
First, lots of agreement on the hype. If anything, there was far more hype with the RR format than brackets could ever have generated. Spectators got far more matches than they would have otherwise, and the matches were just... so amazing, so many of them. And yes, we had our finals match last, just as we would have in bracket.

Second, I'll contest the idea that some people were granted 'favors'. People are so focused on winners and losers bracket that they forget that you can lose 8 matches in the first two rounds of pools (combined) and still have an equal chance of winning the entire tournament. Yes, losing that many matches will earn you a poor seed, so there are consequences for losing. However, your slate is always wiped clean, whether from a RR->Bracket or vice versa. In this case, brackets was simply 'round 3' of the tournament, with the continuation sets being the mechanism for seeding, in a sense. In past FCs it was RR-RR-RR-Bracket, but at FCL it was RR-RR-Bracket-RR.

Regardless, we're quite thrilled with how the RR format turned out, and I strongly believe that the people at the tournament were as well. I didn't hear one complaint about fairness throughout the event, so I suspect this is largely an academic argument. I know there will be disagreements and we're fine with that. We run the tournament we want to run and have a blast doing it.

More to come, no doubt, but for now I wanted to comment on the RR things. Mad props to Mango, the entire top 8, and everyone who attended. You guys are the best and the reason why we host tournaments. Thanks for coming!!
I think this sums up why they did the round robin at the end. Also great tournament everyone who did stuff to make it happen is awesome!! Really enjoyed my first real tourny even though I only won one game haha.

MaskedMarth

Smash Ace
Naota, FC did do an extra round of pools; they just put that round of pools after the bracket instead of before. We get more sets both ways, yes, but it's nice to have more sets of a high level.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Best tournament ever.

I'm gonna make an extended shoutouts post when the results thread is up and everything, but for now, I gotta address some of the idiots posting in this thread: the hype during the final eight was ridiculously amazing and infinitely better for spectating purposes than a bracket format would have been. Without the final eight format, we wouldn't have gotten to see Darkrain combo #7. We wouldn't have gotten to see so many first-ever in-tourney top player matchups. We wouldn't have gotten to see an accurate, 100% no johns ranking of the performance of the top eight players. My advice to any viewers at home complaining is to stop pretending like you were there, because the in-person tourney experience was mindbogglingly awesome.

Thank you KishPrime, KishSquared, Iggy, Joshu, Omnigamer, emilywaves, VGBootCamp, samox, and all the other staff members for all their hard work! This was such an amazing event. I would fully support another FC if it happens (Prime says he's done, but I don't believe it :bee:)

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
For those that missed the closing ceremonies--

[yt]_gLDI2L7tFE[/yt]

Wak

BRoomer
BRoomer
Well this is just in time with my thoughts of having a Round Robin to determine the ranking in between our elite 4, Armada, Mango, Hbox and PP.

It's just a bit sad that 2 of them didn't attempt.

ORLY

Smash Master
super hype tournament

darkrain is the champion of manliness

special thanks to everyone who signed my cards

glad to have met so many new people and familiar faces

ship of fools <3

Gastogh

Smash Apprentice
Kisses to the Kishes for having the balls to make the call on the RR finals. As a spectator, I heartily approved of that. I've wished for something like that for years, and it should totally be made a tournament standard. The bracket system has always had the problem of only being reliable for the top two, and it's great to have more credible results for the runner-ups. :bee:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom