• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Melee, Hacks, and You -- New Hackers Start Here, in the OP!

Steelia

Smash Champion
Oh, okay..
Here's one:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Y7PW74HS
i think that's the one i got to work, but didn't look right.. here's another:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Y7PW74HS

This... wasn't your objective, was it?

OOoo, my friends are hyped up to play in the final version of the stage haha... As for the brawl bowser, im dyin to have it in my hands :)

Hey, do you know if its possible that bowser's flame can be changed to blue? It would be sooo sick!!
I'll get around for making an update for him at my site, then. Makes things a little less complicated. :p

Also, it's VERY possible to turn Bowser's fire blue -- matter of fact, that was something I was working on doing... However, I cannot find it. (His fire is all _9.tga, so the hex numbers are changed dramatically compared to the original. I have no idea where they're located yet.)

Gardevior

Smash Lord
Anyone know how to hack CSPs? I mean, instructions for it? There's a melee tourney coming up this weekend and I'd really love to show off a hacked melee that has as much polish as possible.

Steelia

Smash Champion
yeah it was ;x
just starting with something basic..
what'd you do?
I think I should be asking, what did you do? XD
I just followed the standard... well, procedure. I'm not sure, what lines are you copying from the .TPL? Because there's a certain point where you copy the HEX data, then you copy the PALETTE data (the very top of the _8 or _9 file).

If you missed out on it:
~The copying point for the TEXTURE HEX data in the .TPL will always be
00000260 - to the very end of the file
This is if you're using Hex Editor Neo... I'm not sure about other Hex Editor programs, like Hex Workshop, or something.

~The copying point for the PALETTE HEX data in the .TPL will, under normal 32-line circumstances, be
00000020 - 00000210
It will always be about 4 lines above the TEXTURE HEX data where the PALETTE HEX data ends. [Again, differs with your Hex Editor of choice.]

However, under OTHER circumstances, the Palette Hex data could begin on different rows, depending on how many colors/lines the HEX data is in the actual .DAT file (Mario's eye, fortunately, has 32 lines -- but sometimes others, such as Link, may have 30, 20, or even 2 lines). In any case, the number of palette lines should ALWAYS be in even intervals... AKA, even numbers. (2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, etc. etc. to 32 max).

Anyone know how to hack CSPs? I mean, instructions for it? There's a melee tourney coming up this weekend and I'd really love to show off a hacked melee that has as much polish as possible.
Oh, whoops! Sorry, I forgot to answer this one previously. ^_^;;

You can find my CSP package back on Page 4. It's really no different than your average textures... Just edit, hex into the file, and you're good.
Though, the ONLY "difference" here is, whenever you make the CSP, you have to apply... transparency. (I think this is covered on the guide on Page 1.) Transparency, the highly recommended color is Magenta -- ff00ff or
R: 255
B: 0
G: 255
if using Photoshop. You apply it as the background of your character portrait -- as in, you paste your character picture into the texture, then make the entire background image Magenta.
When you've done that, Indexed it, the whole nine yards, IN the .TPL file you will seek the numbers "fc 1f" in the hex data. That is the Magenta coloring-turned-hex. So to get rid of it, you simply replace it with "00 00" directly over it, and... transparency! (This can also be applied to normal textures, if applicable.)
Piece of cake. Supplied CSP package should also include the PLACEMENTS.txt so you know where everything goes. (And, unlike crappy Brawl, everything's in glorious 256 colors. Max that jolly stuff out.)

Steelia

Smash Champion
So does this mean blue Falco lasers are also possible or does he share them with fox?
That was something I was looking into for a while... but, hate to break it to you, either his lasers are CLR0 colored, or a _8 or _9 texture. I haven't found them, if the textures for them exist at all.

`DNS`

Smash Lord
ohh yeah i just copied it all from line 5 down :x
that part of the guide was confusing & i wasn't sure
but line 20-210 is a lot more than 32 lines.. and the first page says palette data is from line 3 down?

Milun

Smash Ace
I've just tested my model viewer, and the good new is that it can edit point data without crashing the game, and it will show up reasonably similar to editing in the game itself (but I'm still unsure where decimals are located, so I can't make it a flawless edit yet). However it's still quite buggy, so I won't be releasing it any time soon.

skrach8

Smash Lord
has anyone figured out how to hack character moves, hotboxes, percents etc? It would be sweet to play an updated version of melee characters.

zBOREDOMKINGz

Smash Apprentice
I still don't get why people want to make a Melee 2.0
Melee is amazing either way.
You **** kids are never satisfied.
I mean unless you want to do a PSA kidna thing then that'd be cool as long as they're not broken as hell.

Edit: And are the CSP's up to date?
If not how far in?

`DNS`

Smash Lord
I've just tested my model viewer, and the good new is that it can edit point data without crashing the game, and it will show up reasonably similar to editing in the game itself (but I'm still unsure where decimals are located, so I can't make it a flawless edit yet). However it's still quite buggy, so I won't be releasing it any time soon.
awesome.. you think you'll be able to do it? :D

Milun

Smash Ace
awesome.. you think you'll be able to do it? :D
Well, I'm not entirely sure about being able to actually have an editable 3D model as of yet, so I'm aiming to have 3 different views of the vertices, and an un-editable 3D model that updates to change.

Edit: People, we may have a problem. Since my program only displays three different 2D views of the object, It becomes next to impossible to edit an entire model all at the same time. To use it, you have to know the general location of the hex for the part you want to edit, and that becomes a pain. This program at best could only be used to edit individual character hats, which isn't so bad, but still. I think if major model hacks are in mind, it would be easier if someone with more skills than I made it using the information I've discovered, OR we find a 3D modeling program which allows for the insertion of numbers and outputs vertices. I still intend to finish my program, but sorry to disappoint.

Steelia

Smash Champion
Edit: People, we may have a problem. Since my program only displays three different 2D views of the object, It becomes next to impossible to edit an entire model all at the same time. To use it, you have to know the general location of the hex for the part you want to edit, and that becomes a pain. This program at best could only be used to edit individual character hats, which isn't so bad, but still. I think if major model hacks are in mind, it would be easier if someone with more skills than I made it using the information I've discovered, OR we find a 3D modeling program which allows for the insertion of numbers and outputs vertices. I still intend to finish my program, but sorry to disappoint.
Aw, that's too bad. But a partially-worked out model editor is certainly better than none. Really appreciate all the work you've been putting into this, Milun. Hopefully that little nagging problem is fixed another day soon. :)

On a different note, Would anyone happen to be familiar with a way to change the lighting of stages? A lot of the Melee characters have an annoying glossy effect, and it's very prominent throughout the Smash stages... save Fountain of Dreams. Would there be any way of changing up the lighting so that the characters can stop having that glossy look?

Milun

Smash Ace
Well, It took me ages, but here it is: MY MELEE MODEL CHANGER CAPS LOCK.

Now, this program is far from perfect, and may glitch if used deliberately incorrectly, but I have tested it, and it will change the models without flaw. So without further ado, here it is:

http://www.mediafire.com/?znyzi1iezzy

Now, please cut me some slack if you find glitches, and if you don't read the readme, you won't get far. I added Pikachu's blue hat in the file for you to practice with (offset 000030B0). If you have any questions, they will either be answered tomorrow, or in a week, don't ask why, I'm on vacation.

This program exists to prove that it CAN be done.

Edit: If in the readme, it sais 6 Q's, disregard this. Type no less than 15. If the vertice counter goes up infinetely, then you need more Q's. I've updated the link with the readme changed now.

Steelia

Smash Champion
Hoho, that's some exciting stuff, Milun... I'll likely start to try and edit some stuff as soon as I possibly can.

...But one problem.
http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/2740/whatsthisdonteven.jpg

An error on my side; I tried to load your test Pikachu-blue-cap TXT, and this turns up... Am I missing something, or is it supposed to look like that? (The number of Q in the TXT were 6, so I increased it to 15 as well, and still no luck. Should I continue to increase the Q...?)

Milun

Smash Ace
........uuuuuuuuuh... I'm sorry S., but I honestly have no idea what's going on. I compiled it as a .exe in Game Maker, so unless you have a dodgy operating system, I am really at a blank. I made mine on Windows 7 and XP, and It worked flawlessly in both. Try opening a blank .txt, and see what happens. It should look like this:

I really have no idea. If it still doesn't work for you tomorrow I'll release the editable.

Steelia

Smash Champion
did anyone make a phazon suit samus texture?
i was thinking earlier that the dark samus should look more like
[/QUOTE]

I DID, but it looks nothing like that. Kept it closer to the in-game look, with more of a brighter silver-and-black versus that red tinted silver/darker silver.

[quote="Milun, post: 9066414"]........uuuuuuuuuh... I'm sorry S., but I honestly have no idea what's going on. I compiled it as a .exe in Game Maker, so unless you have a dodgy operating system, I am really at a blank. I made mine on Windows 7 and XP, and It worked flawlessly in both. Try opening a blank .txt, and see what happens. It should look like this:

[IMG]

I really have no idea. If it still doesn't work for you tomorrow I'll release the editable.[/QUOTE]

No dice. Looks exactly the same as the previous.
I'm running Windows Vista; could that possibly be a problem? Odd, as XP and Vista are... pretty much the same thing.

Milun

Smash Ace
No dice. Looks exactly the same as the previous.
I'm running Windows Vista; could that possibly be a problem? Odd, as XP and Vista are... pretty much the same thing.
Hmm, well you could try running in XP mode from Vista, but I can tell you now that it won't work. If anyone else has this problem it'll be nice to know, but I'll upload the editable:

http://www.mediafire.com/?znyzi1iezzy

You'll need Game Maker 7 to run it, but it should run off the free version: http://www.yoyogames.com/gamemaker/try to download. Just open it in GM7, then press F5 or the green arrow to run it. Here's hoping it works!

What you seem to be having is a graphical glitch (and changing the contents of the .txt won't help you). The program contains 4 different views, and that seems to be the culprit. I'm not sure, but installing Game Maker 7 should install the framework that runs the views, but that may be a long shot.

GodFed

Smash Apprentice
Alright. I got my comp up and running. Finally. I'm afraid there's nothing new on my part since I last posted. But I'm really impressed with what Milun's done.

In that vein, is there source code to the model viewer? or a brief explanation on what steps you took to find/convert the data in the file to vertex points? I'd like to see if I can write something for Blender or 3DS Max.

Milun

Smash Ace
Ok. First of all, DO NOT USE IT FOR EDITING JUST YET! I was playing around with it and found an issue I hadn't noticed before. Apparently, Y values (up and down in smash) are a bit more dodgy than the others, and half of them screw up when exported. Sorry, but until I figure out the problem, exporting models will have nasty effects on the Y's. You can still view them alright though. I'll try to fix it before I leave for the week. If I don't, then I only recommend you use it to locate the models you want to edit in future.

Godfred: This is litterally all you need to know:

In the .dat's or whatever, you find model Hex's (In Pl****.dat's, it's at the start):

F5 50 F5 60 0A E0 FF E0 00 00 0B 00 0A 90 0A A0
04 C0 00 00 0A A0 0A E0 FF E0 FC 90 01 E0 F7 A0
FB F0 0B 00 09 C0 04 10 0A D0 F6 10 09 D0 0A F0
04 00 04 10 04 E0 09 D0 F6 30 0A E0 FB D0 09 D0
04 B0 FB E0 FB F0 04 A0 F6 20 0A 50 07 E0 04 30
FB C0 07 F0 0A 40 F5 B0 07 C0 FB B0 04 40 07 B0
F5 A0 0A 50 07 C0 FB B0 FB C0 07 B0 F5 A0 04 40
87 F0 0A 40 03 70 0D 90 F7 80 F5 B0 07 E0 04 30
F6 30 04 D0 04 10 F5 60 74 C0 F0 00 03 70 F2 10

Now, the first pair are the X value of the point, the second are... nothing? Third is the Y value, fourth are again, nothing. Fifth is the Z, and 6th is again, nothing. Then 7th is X again and so on. Now, the co-ordinate values work like this: 7F is the minimal coordinate, 80 is the maximal, and 00 and FF are in the middle of the models range. Notice that all the 'nothings' end in 0, making them easy to identify, and a break in the chain means the end of the model data. So, say I had 5 X values, they would go like this on screen:

7F..........................3A......................00.FF................................................................79

Confusing, but it's what I understand. That is all you need to know to get the point co-ordinates, and all I know. Just convert the hex into decimal and your set. Good luck! And I'm sorry to all, but I don't have enough time to fix my program before I leave. I'll fix it ASAP, ASAP.

libertyernie

Smash Ace
I'm not sure if this will be of any help, but I've automated inserting .tpl files into PlKbNr.dat, the default Kirby texture. (Note: the .tpl files have to be made first)

First I made this useful tool that isn't specific even to Melee called hexget. It's a bash script that extracts a given portion of a file from START bytes to END bytes. The downside is if you use Windows, you need Cygwin to run it (because it's a bash script.) Sorry, I don't know any other programming languages :ohwell:

Then I made - who would have guessed - another bash script to insert the TPLs in their proper places. It's complicated, but I commented everything. It's at http://libertyernie.heliohost.org/scripts/script-KbNr. The original file name and the .tpl names are assumed, and the output name is Output.dat. It could be modified to support other .dat files as well, as long as all the textures are either non-indexed or 256 colors.

I haven't tested it, because I don't have access to a hacked Wii and Dolphin won't run on my current video card (my good video card only has DVI slots and I don't have access to a DVI>VGA adapter.)

I'm sure someone could make an ASH-like tool to insert textures. I'm just not sure anyone's willing to go to the effort of doing so.

Zyx

Smash Journeyman
Find the movie you want to put into the game, and open it with whatever program you're using. This is probably the hardest part. Not everyone has access to high-end programs that can export the movie as JPGs. If you do, please post with what the program is, so I can update with it.
I use my very old "RAD Tools" to convert my video files into JPGs
Here the link to download it : http://www.radgametools.com/down/Bink/RADTools.exe

Don't know if it helps.

dexia

Smash Apprentice
please help me >_< , searching and searching but I can't find this

-Wii/GC SDK (specifically dspadpcm.exe and dsptool.dll...maybe soundfile.dll, too, perhaps)

I've search the wii sdk or GC sdk, I download some but these don't have dspadpcm.exe, and I search dspadpcm.exe alone but can't found it u_u, no talk about dsptool.dll and soundfile.dll.
some user that have it maybe can send me a PM and send me the tools to the Mail???

please..... :D

Gardevior

Smash Lord

-Wii/GC SDK (specifically dspadpcm.exe and dsptool.dll...maybe soundfile.dll, too, perhaps)

I've search the wii sdk or GC sdk, I download some but these don't have dspadpcm.exe, and I search dspadpcm.exe alone but can't found it u_u, no talk about dsptool.dll and soundfile.dll.
some user that have it maybe can send me a PM and send me the tools to the Mail???

Download Dantarion's BCSM-GUI from the Smash Workshop (all of his programs are in his signature). It should have the tools you are looking for included.

`DNS`

Smash Lord

you don't need those unless you're making your own

if you're using ones people already made you just need gc-tool
and a hex editor if you're just using parts of it

zBOREDOMKINGz

Smash Apprentice
Finals are gonna be over for like everyone after this week hoepfully.
Then I'll try to get into making my own textures.
I never got that involved with Brawl textures due to me not liking the game.

I'm fine to learn all the stuff by reading it but I'm don't have time atm.
So basically I'm wondering if there will be a visual guide anytime soon?

GodFed

Smash Apprentice
Where is godfed and S. to help this guy!?! :mad:
Whoa, it's December, end of the semester. I'm afraid I have some stuff in the way of Melee hacking right now. Moreover, my finals are after winter break, which really makes things weird. Now, my profs are piling tests and essays on me, so just hold off until this weekend or something.

Thanks for the info Milun. I'll definitely do some experimentation

And a visual guide doesn't sound like a bad idea. I'll see what I can cook up in time for the new year

Top Bottom