• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Melee, Hacks, and You -- New Hackers Start Here, in the OP!

nube

Smash Apprentice
I have an inquiry about hexing and the .dat/.usd files. How do I discover what happens at ____ offset? How do I find out which file corresponds to ____ in the game? (Other than the obvious Pl****.dat and Gr****.dat)
For example, this:
http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/8888/gfrsdd.jpg
How did Qual know which file to replace, and at what offsets to change stuff?
(btw, what happened to him anyways)

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
it's in the tutorial in the first post.
you extract all the textures
turn the original textures into tpl
find where the texture begins in the tpl (i forgot the offset)
find in dat
make note

nube

Smash Apprentice
So to find offsets for anything with textures, I go .tga (unedited) > .tcs > .tpl then match it in hex workshop with the original .dat? Should all of the data in the .tpl hex file match with the .dat, or just part of it?

SleepyK

all that info is in the guide. the actual texture in the tpl starts at a specific offset.

nube

Smash Apprentice
oops i must have missed/forgot that part when i read the guide before. thanks

SleepyK

why would you do that
plus that's extra illegal

unlikely because
1) modding a wii is incredibly easy
2) all the info up here is free
3) all the downloads and links are free
4) anyone who is interested in this usually sees it at a tournament or on youtube, so they ask the guy with the hacks/post a comment on youtube. we're not all pb+j, trying to profit off of others.

Campii

Smash Rookie
hacked melee

Thanks Sleepy =D

I guess it would be a bad idea to post a dl link to an iso here, but yea, if anyone wants a version of Sleepy's hacked iso, with some textures and audio and whatnot, PM me. And thanks for the tip D1

D1

You might get banned for this. Its best you take that link down and just tell ppl to pm you if anything.

For those interested in Campii's ISO you can hit him or me up since I DLed it b4 the link was taken down. Its a modified version of SleepyK's w/ happy hardcore music and some texture hacks for the lazy ones out there.

nube

Smash Apprentice
I've been getting this error almost every time I try to convert from TCS > TPL using texconv:

I didn't get this before; only recently has the TCS > TPL process given me an error. Anyone know how I can fix this?

Ryucloud

Smash Journeyman
A Place Where *****s Are Real=Rhode Island BABY!!!
why would you do that
plus that's extra illegal

unlikely because
1) modding a wii is incredibly easy
2) all the info up here is free
3) all the downloads and links are free
4) anyone who is interested in this usually sees it at a tournament or on youtube, so they ask the guy with the hacks/post a comment on youtube. we're not all pb+j, trying to profit off of others.
lmfaoooo at the pbj roast na that came out the wrong way man it just that is there like premade ones for the lazy guys

Ryucloud

Smash Journeyman
A Place Where *****s Are Real=Rhode Island BABY!!!
You might get banned for this. Its best you take that link down and just tell ppl to pm you if anything.

For those interested in Campii's ISO you can hit him or me up since I DLed it b4 the link was taken down. Its a modified version of SleepyK's w/ happy hardcore music and some texture hacks for the lazy ones out there.
i dooooooooooooooooo

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
New School: Steelia rises again. He put batch files in the texture packs called "TexConv.bat". When you double click, it'll run TexConv.exe for each texture and make TPLs for all of them. A nice time saver.
What's supposed to happen here? I double click TexConv.bat, it runs TexConv.exe quickly (so I can't see what it's doing) and when it closes it doesn't seem like anything changed. Which files am I supposed to edit?

Steelia

Smash Champion
What's supposed to happen here? I double click TexConv.bat, it runs TexConv.exe quickly (so I can't see what it's doing) and when it closes it doesn't seem like anything changed. Which files am I supposed to edit?
Depends on which pack you're using; I know I didn't put clean TCS in all packages... Which character color are you working with?

Campii

Smash Rookie
i noticed a similar problem with red falcon tbh. i may just give it another try in a couple of days though with neutral falcon. i actually like nintendo's blood falcon

SleepyK

if someone pm's me the link to campy's iso, i'll add it to my email.

if i can freakin remember the password

Ghetto

Smash Cadet
Sup all,

I'm getting the hang of this, and I think I'm close to getting some textures done. Having a little trouble and I'm confused on a step. So for step 6, where you copy the hex data from the new tpl file (that you made using TexConv.exe after editing the targa) to the Pl****.dat file, I'm confused on how much of the data you overwrite. What I've been doing is taking the entire new tpl file (except for the first 4 lines) and copying that over all the data between offsets provided in S.'s PlaceMints! file.

I.E. If texture 02 is at offset 0001d860 and texture 03 is at offset 00021860 I will copy all of 02.tpl minus the first 4 lines over all the data from 0001d860 - 00021860. I have a feeling this is wrong. It lets me use Gamecube rebuilder to replace the DrNr.dat file with the newly overwritten one, and it doesn't give me an incorrect size error, but when I try to play it on dolphin, whenever I use the character that I've edited the texture, it just stays on the "Loading" screen when I select a stage.

Is this a dolphin issue or a hacking issue.

Thanks!

nube

Smash Apprentice
Is this a dolphin issue or a hacking issue.
When dolphin fps drops to zero and stays there (a.k.a. when it freezes), its almost always because of incorrect hexing. At least in my experience.

Ghetto

Smash Cadet
The music still plays, but I have a feeling it's a hexing issue.

In the case of the hexing issue, how should I overwrite the data in the Pl****.dat file? What portion needs to be overwritten?

Junpappy

Smash Lord
You just need to overwrite from the offset of whatever texture you edited. So in your example, for texture 2 you just copy the data from the tpl (minus the top four lines) and paste it starting at 0001d860. The offset of the next texture doesn't matter because if you have it set to overwrite then it won't affect the number of lines in your final dat file.

Ghetto

Smash Cadet
Changed hex editors, the last one I had didn't allow me to "overwrite" the data. This one does, should probably make things a lot easier to work. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

The thing that's giving me the most trouble now is the Backup Loader for the Wii. It's a killer install.

S l o X

Smash Champion
Forwarded Campii's link to you via PM, The Good Doctor.

If anyone feels they have a tourney legal .iso with decent music and stuff, would you mind uploading it? My D:/ drive got deleted (more or less) and don't want to start downloading everything again.

Haven't made Campii's yet so I can't say but hopefully it'll do but I'd rather have a backup, in any case.

S l o X

Smash Champion
I have one but it has Lady Gaga all up on it (idk if you consider that decent music lol).
send :D

and by tourney legal I meant with specific colors like Orange Falco on Red falco, or purple falco on blue falco and not red so if teams happen then . . . yeah you get the point. I mean, nobody is gonna be playing doubles on these (?) at tourneys but I think it'd be cool if there was an .ISO like that.

nube

Smash Apprentice
If it's Gamecube Launcher that freezes your wii, is it because you have a gamecube controller plugged in? You can't have any GC controllers plugged in the wii while that screen is loading.

Anyways, I'm currently updating my rainbow FD:

L/A/W

Smash Journeyman
The MIOS patcher blacks out whenever I start it. I just got the CIOS thing to work recently, but the MIOS patcher still blacks out and freezes my wii.

L/A/W

Smash Journeyman
I started with Brawl hacks, so I started by getting bannerbomb and then putting geckOS on my homebrew channel

SleepyK

so i'm guessing you'll probably just have to update your cioses first

Top Bottom