• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee History Lesson 2002-Brawl or GET OFF MY LAWN YOU KIDS

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
What about how Hyrule got banned? I think it involved CORY and Mattdeezie or something?

KishPrime

King of the Ship of Fools
BRoomer
I think that was Yoshi 64, with MattDeezie lasering from the far cloud. I don't know who his opponent was...I was always under the impression that he did it to multiple people There wasn't any time limit then either. I have no idea how the matches ended.

The_Doug

Smash Ace
Nostalgia is like a grammar lesson: you find the present tense, but the past perfect!
Great read and very accurate. Hope to generate some more *Pound* V hype also by bumping this.

Regarding #25 V-Games - What a disgrace. I'd almost forgotten about them, thanks Prime. The worst thing this joke of a company did was make brackets on the fly eg if two friends signed up at the tournament at the same time, they fought each other either first or second round in the bracket.

Regarding #21 Snexus 2 - We weren't really a crew, just a few of the Norcal players united in a road trip to take down them evil mid-westerners and making sure we had gas money by getting Reciph/Isai to win 1st and 2nd. Other random note in my and Scamp's team match VS Iggy/Joshu I asked if we should counterpick them to Rainbow Cruise, and Scamp's reply, "Don't be an idiot, they're called the Ship of Fools for a reason!"

Regarding #18 TG6: Sastopher/Ken and Sastopher/Azen sets were very exciting but sadly lost relics due to recording problems and also due to Matt being absolutely exhausted after the final TG. The crowd at the grand finals with Azen/CJ was rather interesting because of a few reasons. Firstly everyone was still in disbelief that Ken had lost - pretty much everyone there expected a Ken/CJ final. CJ at the time was also pulling off some combos and never seen techniques with unlikely characters - DK, Doc, Ganon, Bowser, among others, and this combined with the fact he was playing on a TV with money matches for 24 hours previously led to him being a crowd favorite. There was also at the time the WC vs EC trash talk and heavy rivalry in going full swing, and because of this many, I'd venture to say all, west coasters refused to cheer or even clap for Azen.

Regarding #10 TG Goes National: At TG4 it was noteworthy that MrSilver flew in from the Netherlands, the first time anyone had flown overseas for a tournament, and he also placed fairly high with Zelda. At the time he was at best top 10 in his own country. This led to a lot more speculation overseas as to how players foreign to the US would do in tournaments and started raising questions and generating statements all over smashboards, "If MrSilver placed that high, the Japanese would destroy everybody!"

Prior to 2003 from a WC standpoint: TG3 had a couple of competitors that flew in from Kentucky and Texas if I recall correctly - Cory, Snap Pop, and possibly others. Cory at the time brought some players' eyes to Marth, me included, stating his potential and actually showing the usefulness of wavedashing and some combo potential and also confirming Marth's multiple disjointed hitboxes advantages. Ken confirmed this in high stakes money matches ($50-200) with MattDeezie, Recipherus, and Reciph's brother Adam a few months later towards the end of 2002. Around this time also the best player from Texas, Zulu, was thought by many to be the best in the nation. Also noteworthy in my eyes were two of the smashers to show off consistent DI, before even the term DI was adopted, were both Zulu and Caveman, but also Azen. I had never met Azen until later in 2003, but you could easily see in his earlier videos DI was a huge part of his game. Historically, presently, and even way back in the old days, the west coast has had the worst DI as a region and this was partly because very few really adapted it into their game or knew the proper mechanics but also for another reason: it was a well kept secret for a long time as were a lot of advanced techniques.

Armada and Europe taking American by storm at Genesis is also much more recent but in my opinion deserving of a place here. I'm sure Europe could even do their own write up of some amazing smash history.

@Prime's last comment: Matt had 15-40 minute long games with multiple people mainly on Hyrule before that stage was banned but don't forget about some of the lengthy ones at Great Bay and Venom also.

snex

Smash Master
V-Games Milwaukee Champ here reviving this thread to name my favorite moment. That would be smashing a concrete brick on my head at Flame of Bowser 2. I had done many before with my hands so I figured, how hard could this possibly be? We were on the 2nd or 3rd floor of Joshu's apartment complex, so I had 2 people stand beside me in case I managed to knock myself out. After psyching myself up, I just went with it, and it snapped like buttah. The cheers meant I was still alive and conscious. It is still on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-pRx2PQ5XU

Top Bottom