• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee in 2012: Year in Review

KrazyKnux

Smash Lord
I don't think any tournaments in Japan are paid-entry. Though (from what Linaly said) there may be prizes if there are sponsors.

Still, I'm very surprised myself a Japan tournament topped 100 entrants and it might be worth mentioning.

Good job as always, looking forward to what 2013 brings.

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
Had no idea.

Was Sunrise a paid-entry tourney?
Doubt it. I think they had prizes though. Can Toph, M2K, linaly, Kou, etc confirm? Or give more details?

Its cool that they cracked 100+ though. I wish we could get a rough history of their community documented cause I bet they've had a few more crack those numbers.... thats probably the only area where the 100+ list is inaccurate atm.

Melee history, yo.

jbro

Smash Ace
Awesome post. This was my first full year as a player, and it was for sure a memorable one. Unfortunately I have to miss Apex again this year because of other responsibilities, but this year looks to be good as well. The community somehow continues to sustain itself, and I think that says a lot about who we are as people and competitors.

Thank you for this, Juggleguy. And thanks for TBH, it was the biggest tourney I was able to attend this year.

Also I am in the picture with KK and Vudujin. Yeeeeeeeeeeaaaahhhhh

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
I'll add it on for sure, but I need the exact tourney name and some proof that the number of entrants wasn't just made up by an attendee.

Master Ppv

Smash Journeyman
Amazing read. I didn't realize that anyone was making these and I'm going back and reading them all now. Awesome stuff. Also amazed and honored to see my photos from SMYM in here. I can only wish I could have gone to more tournaments because I would have certainly tried harder to document everything.

Good stuff. Really good photography too. I think the pictures did a really good job of capturing what Melee's all about.
This man posts the truth. I didn't realize how many other people are actually dedicated to photographing and / or otherwise documenting our tournaments. I can definitely promise that come SMYM this March I'll try to do a much better job of it as I can see that I definitely have a lot of room for improvement there in addition to improving as a player. Hopefully at the end of 2013 my photos from whatever tourneys I can attend will be legitimately worthy of being in the end of the year review.

Goodin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Goodin
Even though I was pretty damn late to get into the community, I am happy that I did in 2012!

Rickety

Peace and Love
I can't believe that I didn't see this until now!
I'm usually so prompt about reading these, too!
These write-ups remind me of all the wonderful people that make up this community,
and how lucky I am to be a part of it all, even if only in the teeniest of capacities! <3

(Gulp, but reading these also reminds me that I need to invest in a new wardrobe:
I just realized that I'm wearing the exact same outfit in the pictures from 2009 and 2012!
Eep! I'm just glad that the 2007 write-up doesn't have any of me! <3)

But yeah, thank you so much for your commitment to these articles and for everything else that you do for the
community, Juggleguy! It's people like you that really make this community stand out from all the others! <3

Sephirothxxx

Smash Ace
NNID
Royzourboy
3DS FC
4313-2332-7958
Wow. This was amazing! I didn't know how big 2012 was!

I'm so glad to be with Melee in '13, Everything is changing! I can't wait for the future!
Yeah man same here I had no idea 2012 was this big! Especially with Ken making that whole one-time return and all. Can't believe how much I missed out on. Shoulda got myself informed!

Top Bottom