• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee is not over. Melee still has a long way...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blea Gelo

Smash Lord
Well, im making this thread, because im sick, of seeing comments of people giving up about smash, and saying melee is dieing because of brawl and they play brawl, and the worst of the case, is that this people still like melee..

One of my points are, Brawl just came out, it´s a new game, and a lot of us don´t like it. Ok, people say, that melee is dieing because ther´s a lot of people in brawl, and well, Brawl is giving money, and melee is dieing because is old. What do u wanted, do u wanted the old game be more than the newone without not even let the melee people and the newb people prove it? i mean, Brawl is new, but the people playing it are deacreasing, slowly, but it is deacreasing. Like brawl ppl say, but in my way: ``give melee some time´´.

People (the people that likes melee) , i know u like melee more than brawl, u dont have to play a game u dont like for money, melee can give the same ammount of money, if the people that don´t like brawl, or think that melee is better, stop going to brawl tourneys, and start going to melee tourneys, hosting melee tourneys, playing melee, making melee grow. As the same speed brawl is deacreasing. melee is growing, more and more each day.. Look MvC2, this is a game that has like a thousand years old, and what? is still there... Melee is a much better game than brawl for me and for a lot of people too. For that people, stop playing a game u dont like, and make melee big again, fk i don´t understand. Imagine earning the money u earn playing brawl but in a game u do like, in a game you people enjoy. Brawl is bigger right now just because it´s new, thats the only reason..

In melee, u depend on your ownself more than brawl, because the game consists more own your technique/mental game, Brawl depends more on the elements of the game (counterpicks, characters, etc), a lot more than what melee does..

And people, i don´t know what your answer is gonna be but im really sick of seeing that kind of comments. Melee has a long way to go, but to make that happen, the people that dont like brawl, has to stop playing it, and start playing melee again. I know YOU are just 1 person, but when 20 persons see this thread, 5 of em start hosting melee tourneys, and more people are going to go to the tourneys, and of the 50 ppl that reads the thread, maybe 30 are gonna stop playing brawl, and keeps going, that may happen if we put an effort, all of us, the people that really miss the melee comunnity, the melee people..

Im just saying, give melee some time...

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Melee is dying, like it or not. The new people are going to Brawl since it's a lot easier to get a hold of, plus it being new, people are going to get it before the old one. Some of the old are staying Melee, true, but most have either moved on or quit smash. We've been playing Melee for 7 years, a lot of 'pros' were wanting to do something new, not play melee for another 6 years til Smash 4.

Look at the tournament listings. There's a few Melee ones, sure, but the majority are Brawl, and there's less Melee as time goes by.

Is Melee dead? No, just severely crippled.

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
Melee is dying, like it or not. The new people are going to Brawl since it's a lot easier to get a hold of, plus it being new, people are going to get it before the old one. Some of the old are staying Melee, true, but most have either moved on or quit smash. We've been playing Melee for 7 years, a lot of 'pros' were wanting to do something new, not play melee for another 6 years til Smash 4.

Look at the tournament listings. There's a few Melee ones, sure, but the majority are Brawl, and there's less Melee as time goes by.
How does this in anyway (for lack of a better word) "prove" that Melee is dying? ZOMG people are playing Brawl so Melee is obviously dead and gone? Wrong. In time, I'm sure that the Smash community will learn to accept both games for what they are and use both regularly in tournaments. It's already starting. Tournaments are offering more than Brawl, and Melee only bi-weeklies and tourney's are becoming more and more prevalent. Melee is not dying.

Blea Gelo

Smash Lord
yeah, like u said, its easyer to holde of in brawl, but, at least in my country, thers a lot of new ppl playing melee, and it comes more and more people every time. Talk to ppl and usa, at least i have seen a lof of people say, i want to play brawl because it gives money, see? melee is growing, again, and u have to accep it, melee is not dieing, melee went down because of brawl release, and is recovering, like it or not..

Blea Gelo

Smash Lord
How does this in anyway (for lack of a better word) "prove" that Melee is dying? ZOMG people are playing Brawl so Melee is obviously dead and gone? Wrong. In time, I'm sure that the Smash community will learn to accept both games for what they are and use both regularly in tournaments. It's already starting. Tournaments are offering more than Brawl, and Melee only bi-weeklies and tourney's are becoming more and more prevalent. Melee is not dying.
i didnt sayd melee is dead, i said, im sick of people saying that and play to much brawl and not much melee, because of the reasons upthere..

game set

Smash Apprentice

Is Melee dead? No, just severely crippled.
Melee doesn't need pros or vets, it just needs people. For some it could die, but it can still be born or healed with new vigor. I've been attempting to build a competitive scene in my area out of nothing, at first it'll just be scrubs who have seen what's possible, but one day it could be more.

Is it impossible to save melee? NO

therefor im going to try as hard as i ****ing can.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Quoting myself, because I'm vain. :)

A majority of the Brawl community either came into it without any past competitive experience to Melee, or were Melee veterans that simply enjoy the game for what it is. Neither of them are to blame for Melee's losing popularity.

If anything, the fact that everyone got their hopes up for Brawl to essentially be "Melee 2.0" is what did it. Many people lost interest when they saw what was supposed to be "the perfect game" turn into something radically different than what they expected, and people are finding it difficult to go back to after their recent loss of interest. Melee players killed it themselves.

Either way, I don't think that either community is poised to die any time soon. They both have a large enough fanbase to carry on for a fair while. Brawl doesn't need an exclusively-Melee player's input, much like Melee doesn't need an exclusively-Brawl player's input. It's the same with N64 Smash.
The fact that Brawl is popular has little to do with the lack of Melee tournaments. People simply lost interest to host and go to Melee tournaments. A lot of pros don't play because they're tired of playing the same game for so long. A lot of the hardcore Melee players that are still around just have "Super Turbo goggles"; they think that Melee is undeniably the greatest fighting game on the face of the earth, so they refuse to play anything else, even to simply have fun with it. As a result, they blame the Brawl community for their own lack of interest. A revival is possible, but I don't see it happening. It will still be around, but it won't be nearly as big as a year or two ago.

game set

Smash Apprentice
i fkin love u dude and i dont even know u XD

oh srry dark hart
Ignore your lust, I have that effect on many people, but in the end i'll only hurt you. [/OT]

imo a really good way to build the community is by showing non-smashers AT's and explaining the way melee's metagame is organic and infinite. This works really good with people who are already into competitive gaming.

game set

Smash Apprentice
Quoting myself, because I'm vain. :)

The fact that Brawl is popular has little to do with the lack of Melee tournaments. People simply lost interest to host and go to Melee tournaments. A lot of pros don't play because they're tired of playing the same game for so long. A lot of the hardcore Melee players that are still around just have "Super Turbo goggles"; they think that Melee is undeniably the greatest fighting game on the face of the earth, so they refuse to play anything else, even to simply have fun with it. As a result, they blame the Brawl community for their own lack of interest. A revival is possible, but I don't see it happening. It will still be around, but it won't be nearly as big as a year or two ago.
The trick is not to look at the world as predictable, because the future has yet to happen, and is thus 100% unpredictable. In the end, you cannot assume that what you want will come to you. It might, but thats called luck.

Instead you must use this tool we have been given called the present moment. Use it to always assure what you call success, in effect assuring what you call happiness..

/thought I was on edit but wasn't/

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
The trick is not to look at the world as predictable, because the future has yet to happen, and is thus 100% unpredictable. In the end, you cannot assume that what you want will come to you. It might, but thats called luck.

Instead you must use this tool we have been given called the present moment. Use it to always assure what you call success, in effect assuring what you call happiness..

/not a reply more of a rant/
You mean, we should prevent a self-fulfilling prophecy?

Its predictability is simply what I think, and I don't care what happens to competitive Melee. After the two-and-a-half years I've spent with it, I'm done, and I'm moving on to other things. Everyone else is welcome to do as they please.

game set

Smash Apprentice
You mean, we should prevent a self-fulfilling prophecy?
I'm saying we can prevent anything with enough mind power, a self fufilling prophecy requires specific actions to take effect, so there will be actions that could stop it. It all comes down to the power of insight and how faryou can take it.

Everyone else is welcome to do as they please.
there are people who have yet to hear of competitive ssbm, but could enjoy it if introduced. These 6000,000,000 + people are melee's best option for survival. But in the end, compliance cannot be forced, to each his own.

BTW i havent been trying to disagree, i was using your post to start off my points, pretty sure were on the same level.

BEES

Smash Lord
If Nintendo steps up and supports Melee with expansions and patches, it could survive a very long time. That's now how they do business. They think too linear. They want their new games to completely replace their old games. :(

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
If Nintendo steps up and supports Melee with expansions and patches, it could survive a very long time. That's now how they do business. They think too linear. They want their new games to completely replace their old games. :(
The game's been out for about seven years now, and it was never meant to have a competitive following. It's a wonderful game as it is; the last thing it needs is an expansion.

Just play Brawl, or suck it up and play Melee. Choosing one of those options is not a hard thing to do.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
It really is the next Super Turbo; people will cling to it for a long while, but a majority of people will move on to other games.

game set

Smash Apprentice
My reply to this thread is:
http://smashboards.com./showthread.php?t=187084

Melee will stay alive, but not without the help of Brawl.
That isn't our only feasible option, but I've always supported the concept 100%. I don't even enjoy brawl at all, but im still planning to host it once i start my biweekies, simply because I would do unto other as i would wish done unto myself. I would love if all those brawl only tournaments had melee.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
Melee is dying a bit but brawl is coming down with it a bit iswell, ALOT of people lately have switched back to melee in my area. All of the IMPORTANT people in my area are playing melee so im ok with it.

Zodiac

Smash Master
Melee is dying a bit but brawl is coming down with it a bit iswell, ALOT of people lately have switched back to melee in my area. All of the IMPORTANT people in my area are playing melee so im ok with it.
hmm as I recall, Melee has been nothing but a rising start until brawl's release, there's always a calm before the storm.

IShotLazer

Smash Journeyman
This thread is full of typos and grammatical errors but I guess that's not what we're here for now is it?
Anyway, Melee isn't really dying in the first place. There are still tournaments being held all the time for Melee. Yes there is more Brawl tournaments but that's expected. I think we're comparing it too tightly to Brawl and not looking at how Melee actually was without a comparison.

rhan

Smash Hero
What's with these people talking about Melee dying? It's not dying at all. Just because Brawl is the main game everyone is playing doesn't mean squat. Melee will never die. Only the truly dedicated players will stick to the game. Anyone who moved on to Brawl just because it's the newest thing out right now to me are just sell outs. But of course people give me these excuses on why they switched, "The pot is bigger." "More people are playing it." Eff that. How about taking these thoughts into consideration. "Is it more exciting to play?" "Is it worth it?"

KILLA.FOR.CASH.

Smash Champion
brawl is nothing more than a side event in the history of melee.

i was at a STD/smashfest two weeks ago. when my crew and I arrived, most people were playing brawl.
we didnt really like brawl so we hooked up a melee tv. next thin you know, everybody quit playing brawl to watch/play melee. 30 minutes later, all of the tv's that had brawl were now replaced with melee.

the players playing brawl took one look at melee and, without thinking, they pressed the eject buttons on their wii's and replaced it with melee. the next 12+ hours of the smashfest was pure melee.

ive played brawl like once, so i dont really know how deep the game is. but seeing as how the brawl veterans quickly switched to melee after just hearing the background music from melee... to me that says that melee> brawl... forever.

i have no doubt in my mind that melee will eventually reign supreme as the more popular game, as if it isnt already

jugfingers

Smash Champion
brawl is nothing more than a side event in the history of melee.

i was at a STD/smashfest two weeks ago. when my crew and I arrived, most people were playing brawl.
we didnt really like brawl so we hooked up a melee tv. next thin you know, everybody quit playing brawl to watch/play melee. 30 minutes later, all of the tv's that had brawl were now replaced with melee.

the players playing brawl took one look at melee and, without thinking, they pressed the eject buttons on their wii's and replaced it with melee. the next 12+ hours of the smashfest was pure melee.

ive played brawl like once, so i dont really know how deep the game is. but seeing as how the brawl veterans quickly switched to melee after just hearing the background music from melee... to me that says that melee> brawl... forever.

i have no doubt in my mind that melee will eventually reign supreme as the more popular game, as if it isnt already
10 barrels of props for that post.

KILLA.FOR.CASH.

Smash Champion
i still remember the times when ken vs bombsoldier videos were released. the entire nation of smash was going ape **** over how insanely technical bombsoldier was. the japanese smashers were believed to be on a completely different level of smash than the US. this made everybody train hard in smash. the community was constantly evolving. new tactics were being discovered daily. hell, new tactics are still being discovered. i dont believe that melee's true depth has been unraveled because i believe that melee is as deep as a game as the human mind itself. i remember reading threads on smashboards about how godly ken was, or how robotic mew2king was, or how much mindgames pc chris had. melee had so much hype, so much enthusiasm. the yells from the crowd when people were playing finals. the energy of it all was amazing

there were just too many memorable moments from melee that will stay engraved in our souls forever. i remember spending hours on my computer watching the MLG montages from Bach... hoping one day that i could be a part of the great community. when the day came where i finally met other competitive smashers(my crew FTA) i was at a local game crazy store, watching other people play smash. little did i know that this was the beginning of a great journey in which we would travel all over california, meet people from different sides of the world, where we were all united under one common thing: the fact that we all fcking love melee so much.

if melee was released after brawl, there would be no brawl community

now im not really a brawl player but from what ive seen in brawl, there are too many limitations.

play melee with no L canceling or wave dashing. you already have a game that is deeper than brawl.
play melee with L canceling and wave dashing. you have a game so great that brawl shouldnt even be mentioned in the same sentence as it. melee also had DI. which added a whole new dimension to mindgames and gameplay.

Overload

Smash Lord
I think melee will never completely die. I believe it will hit a point where not much is happening, but eventually it will get bigger, or so I hope.

Red the Ghost

Smash Ace
i still remember the times when ken vs bombsoldier videos were released. the entire nation of smash was going ape **** over how insanely technical bombsoldier was. the japanese smashers were believed to be on a completely different level of smash than the US. this made everybody train hard in smash. the community was constantly evolving. new tactics were being discovered daily. hell, new tactics are still being discovered. i dont believe that melee's true depth has been unraveled because i believe that melee is as deep as a game as the human mind itself. i remember reading threads on smashboards about how godly ken was, or how robotic mew2king was, or how much mindgames pc chris had. melee had so much hype, so much enthusiasm. the yells from the crowd when people were playing finals. the energy of it all was amazing

there were just too many memorable moments from melee that will stay engraved in our souls forever. i remember spending hours on my computer watching the MLG montages from Bach... hoping one day that i could be a part of the great community. when the day came where i finally met other competitive smashers(my crew FTA) i was at a local game crazy store, watching other people play smash. little did i know that this was the beginning of a great journey in which we would travel all over california, meet people from different sides of the world, where we were all united under one common thing: the fact that we all fcking love melee so much.

if melee was released after brawl, there would be no brawl community

now im not really a brawl player but from what ive seen in brawl, there are too many limitations.

play melee with no L canceling or wave dashing. you already have a game that is deeper than brawl.
play melee with L canceling and wave dashing. you have a game so great that brawl shouldnt even be mentioned in the same sentence as it. melee also had DI. which added a whole new dimension to mindgames and gameplay.
QFT. The only reason Brawl has a following is because it's a newer game.

E.M.

Smash Apprentice
Melee is dieing so get used to it. Instead of complaining about how brawl is for noobs and how melee requires skill and all that BS, why don't those melee players accept that they were good at melee and now it's old so let's move forward to a game called brawl and dominate like we used to in melee?

I understand people get really good at a video game (especially a competitive one like melee) and feel robbed when something new comes along and takes the spotlight. They feel all that work was for nothing. But why feel that way? Acknowledge that you were good and move on to the next game if you want. But don't sit around BSing yourself talking about 'so and so is not over and still as a long way', trying to make yourself feel better.

It's the same **** everywhere. Halo 2 came out and everybody was *****ing and moaning about **** and how it's not like Halo 1. Years later, Halo 3 comes out and you still have people crapping themselves because "Halo 2 was the greatest blah blah blah".

Why can't gamers just ****ing move on and accept a new challenge.

rhan

Smash Hero
E.M. said:
Melee is dieing so get used to it. Instead of complaining about how brawl is for noobs and how melee requires skill and all that BS, why don't those melee players accept that they were good at melee and now it's old so let's move forward to a game called brawl and dominate like we used to in melee?

I understand people get really good at a video game (especially a competitive one like melee) and feel robbed when something new comes along and takes the spotlight. They feel all that work was for nothing. But why feel that way? Acknowledge that you were good and move on to the next game if you want. But don't sit around BSing yourself talking about 'so and so is not over and still as a long way', trying to make yourself feel better.
It isn't dying. If you notice the important names in the smash community are comming back to Melee one at a time. And if you was trying to persuade people to move on to Brawl, you failed. Your post made me appreciate Melee even more. Here's some food for thought. How about you go play Brawl, while we play the game that will last. :)

S0FT said:
Switching to brawl is not moving forward....
QFT

Roman.

Smash Champion
i don't care if brawl is the new thing for anybody, i have more fun playing melee so that's what im gunna do

if a new game comes out that i have more fun playing, i'll go ahead and play it

edit: **** you brawl XD

Eggm

Smash Hero
Melee just caught a cold when brawl came out, its fine now. Better than ever. Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

My area has had the same amount of tournies after brawl has came out. Even with bigger turnouts at some of them. The very best cheezit biweeklies which were a looong series in my area was post brawl release. I could go on and on but my area loooooves melee. I was at mass maddness on last Sunday, I could have been at Chu's on saturday for melee, then this week i've played in a NY tourney on Wednesday, if I didn't' have work friday i could be at inui's melee tournament, and then theres smashtality on Saturday. Thats a lot of god **** meele in the north east. I dunno about other areas, but god **** i don't see how the game can be dead after this. also some random guy from the dominican republic who saw my youtube vids IM's me and says his last tournament had 200 people for melee and they are expecting 160 + for this one next month and he wants me to go. People there don't like brawl all that much. Plus I heard in a post that midwest has beast 90 person tournies. FL is going strong for melee. Brawl was so boring during fast we had a melee tourney with like 64 people LOL. We also had 5 setups for melee during it and like 5 setups for brawl. In my area theres always just about the same melee setups just for fun at brawl tournies like all the time. Melee dominates. Brawl sucks. Anyone who thinks melee is cripped or dying is dumb. Melee got a cold but is now over it stronger than ever. Quit life.

Blea Gelo

Smash Lord

It's the same **** everywhere. Halo 2 came out and everybody was *****ing and moaning about **** and how it's not like Halo 1. Years later, Halo 3 comes out and you still have people crapping themselves because "Halo 2 was the greatest blah blah blah".

Why can't gamers just ****ing move on and accept a new challenge.
we wont move on to a less tecnical, tactical, and a worse game.. What, u gonna paly a game that is worse just because is new?

Im going to tell u something dude.. When u are playing a game, and u become a pro, u become a pro paying that game for fun, and thats one of the reasons y brawl community sucks.. They all wanna be pro at brawl, because they dont wanna paly a game that is harder, but if u a paly a harder and good game, u gonna enjoy it, and thats the first step of becoming a pro.. No playing a new game, to start from the beggining, and still like that, M2k, azen, and DSF, and a lot of big melee games are the b est in that game, they play it for FUN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom