• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee mentors?

Silver the Last

Smash Rookie
Not sure if this is the place to ask but is there a place we can ask for melee mentors? We could train over netplay, I just feel like I need help getting on the right track.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Not sure if this is the place to ask but is there a place we can ask for melee mentors? We could train over netplay, I just feel like I need help getting on the right track.
Your best bet to get a mentor is to go to local events and just be friendly with everyone. If you end up getting along with someone and they happen to be better than you, then it becomes really natural to ask them questions to improve. This is possible online with netplay and discord, but it is much less personal so I think you would have a hard time convincing anyone that mentoring you is a worthwhile process. I'm not even very good but a lot of the people that have reached out to be mentored by me either don't want to take the advice I have, and/or they end up quitting very soon after starting. It can make players with more experience hesitant to formally give advice because whenever this happens, they feel like they wasted tons of their time answering basic questions about the game.

Luckily, even if you don't have access to locals for some reason, there are tons of online guides, videos, and streamers that focus on improvement. Using these resources and netplay alone should fast track you to a solid baseline level of play as long as you're consistently practicing and focusing on improving fundamentals (neutral, punish, defense, edgeguarding, and recovery). If you're not sure what constitutes fundamentals or just want help finding resources, the Melee Library should become your new homepage. Good luck!

Last edited:
Top Bottom