• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee Netplay - The Future is Now (New and improved!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dkuo

Smash Lord
I get a painful amount of input lag even though the game runs fine :(

I know it's not the gc adapter's fault because I can feel it with the keyboard too

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
I havent been able to make it fluid at all. I dont get desynchs but i feel input lag and lag spikes even though I have a beast computer and internet
Are you running dual core? When I use single core my gameplay feels really choppy as well, it just desynchs a lot when I use dual... >_>

JMC4789

Smash Journeyman
If you're having input lag on GC adapters and keyboard, it's because you have Windows Aero enabled. In order to fix that, switch to a basic Windows setup in the personalize option when you right click the desktop in Windows Vista/7. 360 controllers do not suffer from this problem, likely because they're made by microsoft.

I'll have that added to the FAQ, but, it'd be best to assume that if you're having a problem others aren't, there is likely a solution.

Fishaman P

Smash Apprentice
If you're having input lag on GC adapters and keyboard, it's because you have Windows Aero enabled. In order to fix that, switch to a basic Windows setup in the personalize option when you right click the desktop in Windows Vista/7. 360 controllers do not suffer from this problem, likely because they're made by microsoft.

I'll have that added to the FAQ, but, it'd be best to assume that if you're having a problem others aren't, there is likely a solution.
Okay, what if keyboard and other controllers are fine, but the Raphnet GC/N64 adapter is lagging?

himynameisruss

Smash Journeyman
you guys still looking for more testers?

i5 2500k @ 4.2
GTX 670
8g 1600
Win 8 x64

decent internet connection, i believe my up is around 5 and down around 20

Jonny Westside

S4mus Fiend
NNID
Jonny-Westside
3DS FC
4098-3340-4061
So users playing each other with differing OS versions (32bit vs 64bit) in Melee Netplay will desynch right? My friend and I have trouble playing because of the lag and the desynchs. We both use 815 revision

Lawlb0t

Smash Lord
So would any AMD K8 or K10 when it's OC'd be viable lmao? Or is it excluded because for an AMD to suffice after OC its extremely extraordinary circumstances [Cuz AMD been pooh since release of C2D]?

JMC4789

Smash Journeyman
Some AMDs are fine when overclocked for single core play. Dualcore will desync quite a bit, HLE audio tends to desync sometimes. 32 bit versions desync with 64 bit versions, but Linux does not desync with Windows. That's about all we know about version differences.

nmn

Smash Cadet
Mind you that the 32-bit version can be used on a 64-bit OS and will sync properly with someone else running the 32-bit version. It is not known where the desync is being caused.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
I made a Facebook group for people interested in playing Melee Online. I'd rather people only join if they actually have a computer that's capable of running Melee on Dolphin and a good enough internet connection to play it online. If you're interested in playing in the future join it too!

Here's the link: http://www.facebook.com/groups/368089696615131/

Gskellig

Smash Rookie
I'm in the IRC now. How do I join the skype group? My skype name is the same as my forum username.

I'd also love to be a tester.
i5-2500k (stock atm)
2xAMD HD5830 (CrossfireX) - I think it might be a good idea to remove crossfire on these to prevent desynch.
8gb 1600mhz memory
Win7 x64 (eh I'll upgrade to win8 sometime soon. I'm not a huge fan).
Getting a much better internet connection soon, but for now ~8/3.

-I've never actually even tested this with anybody before. But I'm really excited to get it working.

Luigimitsu

Smash Apprentice
If anyone from europe or near wants to play add me on skype please 'luigimitsu' I am desperate to try this, I may be mediocre but I know how to play, and by that I mean I know the technical stuff and I've played with other competitive players and done well.

Oh I better join this skype group.. 'luigimitsu' someone find me and add me there please xD.

Phoenix~Lament

Smash Ace
Hey guys, I'm down to play melee online with you guys if possible. I bought an adapter, hooked it up and got everything to work, but it seems like no one's on right now.

I requested to join the Facebook group so we'll see from there :D

Luigimitsu

Smash Apprentice
I've played a couple of people now, I enjoyed it but I failed with every character that isn't Peach, hard to get used to this 360 controller with some characters so I probably will get an adapter.

I have one question, has anyone tried playing Brawl with this? I want to know how good Brawl plays, or if it works (I'm sure everyone is aware that Nintendo's online is bad). There are a lot of Brawlers who play wifi, but I'm sure some of these wifi players have gaming PC's like me and would like a better online.

I hope I'm not just getting my hopes up since I'd love to play more people at Brawl, but I am happy enough to be able to play Melee vs more people :).

Goodin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Goodin
Hey, I got this up and running today, And i was wondering if I could get into the skype group.

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
if you want to get added to the skype group, the fastest way would be for you to post in this thread that you want in AND

go to USER CP on smashboards (top of the page, just under the King DeDeDe box using default smashboards layout)

type your skype name in the correct box

i'll add anyone that wants in, posts about it, and has skype attached to their smashboards instant messenger section

Fishaman P

Smash Apprentice
I've played a couple of people now, I enjoyed it but I failed with every character that isn't Peach, hard to get used to this 360 controller with some characters so I probably will get an adapter.

I have one question, has anyone tried playing Brawl with this? I want to know how good Brawl plays, or if it works (I'm sure everyone is aware that Nintendo's online is bad). There are a lot of Brawlers who play wifi, but I'm sure some of these wifi players have gaming PC's like me and would like a better online.

I hope I'm not just getting my hopes up since I'd love to play more people at Brawl, but I am happy enough to be able to play Melee vs more people :).
Unfortunately, Wii emulation is a LOT less deterministic; even running in single-core mode with LLE not on thread will desync often.

Luigimitsu

Smash Apprentice
So far no one has told me that it doesn't work with Brawl, just that it's harder, I already have the Brawl .iso and the emulator set up so I'd like to try anyway, JMC4789 told me I need a file ripped from the Wii to do it though, does anyone know how to get this and what to do with it?

Melee online works really well, as long as I check every little thing is the same, last time I forgot to check if they were playing with 32bit but once I realised they had 64bit they downloaded 32bit and it worked fine. I didn't know most computers came as 64bit these days, but I kept mine on 32bit.

Jonny Westside

S4mus Fiend
NNID
Jonny-Westside
3DS FC
4098-3340-4061
The 32bit download for revision 815 is broken, please fix! Thanks in advance

JMC4789

Smash Journeyman
You can fix the link yourself right now until we get Makkun on to fix it. It's actually two links merged into one, just delete the 793 link in the bar and leave the 815 link, and it'll download properly.

We're working on getting into contact with one another to update the main post in a variety of ways. Things are busy with final exams and such hitting right when there are some exciting developments within the emulator and our understanding of netplay are on the way.

http://www3.jchadwick.net/ssbm/dolphinssbm-815-win32.7z

This is the proper link in the meantime

Jonny Westside

S4mus Fiend
NNID
Jonny-Westside
3DS FC
4098-3340-4061
You can fix the link yourself right now until we get Makkun on to fix it. It's actually two links merged into one, just delete the 793 link in the bar and leave the 815 link, and it'll download properly.

We're working on getting into contact with one another to update the main post in a variety of ways. Things are busy with final exams and such hitting right when there are some exciting developments within the emulator and our understanding of netplay are on the way.

http://www3.jchadwick.net/ssbm/dolphinssbm-815-win32.7z

This is the proper link in the meantime
Thanks, and something needs to be done about the OP. I think it's pretty dumb for this thread to be in control of a guy who rarely updates.

Rood

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Rood2790
I'm not very good at melee, but would still love to play! No ones ever in irc though.
P.S. Anyone know a good GC to USB adapter that works on windows 7, cuz right now I have to use a ps3 controller...?

Fishaman P

Smash Apprentice
I'm not very good at melee, but would still love to play! No ones ever in irc though.
P.S. Anyone know a good GC to USB adapter that works on windows 7, cuz right now I have to use a ps3 controller...?
Raphnet and Mayflash both have very good reputations.
Having a Raphnet myself, I can say that I love the rumble and analog L/R support!

Dr. Ed

Smash Rookie
Hey! I am having trouble connecting to other people's games. I have quite a bit of experience using dolphin and playing with its settings but never tried the netplay function before.

Where should I start looking for problems? I would assume that connection would have nothing to do with settings though and more to do with correct IP address and such. Will there still be an initial connection even if settings and such are all out of wack followed by an immediate crash? All I'm getting is connection failed.

Thanks in advance!

D

Deleted member

I'm definitely keeping an eye out on this thread. This is basically all I ever wanted out of Melee, and I've recently bought a quad core comp that should have no problems running this.

D

Deleted member

quad core is for ****es

3rd gen i7
4gb graphics card
16gb ram
120gb ssd

:phone:
Well my current laptop broke, and I need a replacement for it for work, so I ended up getting a decently powerful laptop, one that won't choke when running 2011 games and dolphin.

I looked into the Acer Aspire 5560, with that AMD chip (A8-3500M) that has gotten good reviews in regards to graphical output (poor reviews in multitasking though, guess that means no photoshop while on skype, with 50 million tabs open, and winamp playing music, oh well), its good enough for a rather cheap laptop.

I was looking into building a rig, but since I'm moving (to a different country) in a couple years it's a bit of a hassle, so I'd rather wait on that a bit.

My old laptop could run Vanilla Melee at 80% speed on Dolphin, and Hacked Brawl at 60%, and it was an Asus (forgot the model) from 2007, so I'm sure this new one will have no problem with that.

But yeah, my build for a rig was more along the lines of what you mentioned, there's no point it in right now (not to mention, I don't have the 1000 Euro to invest in it). On the plus side, in 2-3 years time, we can expect cheaper prices on current tech and newer better chips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom