• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee Netplay - The Future is Now (New and improved!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMC4789

Smash Journeyman
Audio Throttle is in the DSP section of 305, in newer builds it's moved to the configuration main panel. Are you guys by chance experience audio cutouts during the opening movie? If HLE audio is on, that'll trigger desyncs after the first round of play.

JMC4789

Smash Journeyman
So, you have HLE audio selected with No audio backend using identical builds of dolphin? Dualcore is the biggest culprit for desyncs, is that set to off? Also, make sure no action replay codes are on. I'd say check Melee versions, but that wouldn't be so consistent with causing desyncs after the first match.

The easiest way to see when Synchronization is broken is with the G&W judgment move. One of the biggest ways I tested with my other players was taking settings, playing the game, quitting out of the first round, then seeing if judgment numbers were the same on their computer as mine during the second round. If that happened, there would never be a desync after that point. If the numbers were different, the first random thing to happen would cause a desync.

WE HAVE LLE AUDIO WORKING WITH THE SLOWDOWN CODES!!!! My brother is a genius!

Makkun

Smash Journeyman
If you look at the "Desync Stress Test" video it shows 3 matches being played in direct succession, with each next match increasing the likelyhood for desync (AI players, and then all items on Very High), but it doesn't desync.

And I'll get some screenshots of our exact configurations. What's a good image host to use?

Edit: I posted without reading all the replies, whoops!

JMC4789

Smash Journeyman
uhh... the absolute best way would be to use your a Wii or GC and rip your legally owned copy.

Internet Explorer and Massive, if you two can't get it synced, would it be possible for me to contact you via AIM or something? I think it'd be easier to test more things more quickly, and figure out exactly what's going wrong here.

NNID
dansalvato
uhh... the absolute best way would be to use your a Wii or GC and rip your legally owned copy.

Internet Explorer and Massive, if you two can't get it synced, would it be possible for me to contact you via AIM or something? I think it'd be easier to test more things more quickly, and figure out exactly what's going wrong here.
That's fine.

Izuhu

Smash Journeyman
Oh its there.....your just not trying hard enough, and I can't give it to you buy link or I'll get infracted by mods. Its against the boards policy.

JMC4789

Smash Journeyman
It should actually work. But, if you do have problems, I can't be sure I can help you out with it.

nmn

Smash Cadet
So, I'm the guy who's been working on modifying Dolphin to lower netplay requirements. Firstly, I'd like to say that I'm no expert at the GameCube hardware nor emulation itself. With that being said, we have our own 30 FPS hack, similar to the action replay code already posted, except it should work with most games (and not just SSBM or specific versions of it.) There is no black magic involved: the hack was accomplished by modifying the timer ratio in Dolphin's core timing code, which is actually a documented hack - see these 5 lines of SystemTimers.cpp:

Code:
// Ratio of TB and Decrementer to clock cycles.
// TB clk is 1/4 of BUS clk. And it seems BUS clk is really 1/3 of CPU clk.
// So, ratio is 1 / (1/4 * 1/3 = 1/12) = 12.
// note: ZWW is ok and faster with TIMER_RATIO=8 though.
// !!! POSSIBLE STABLE PERF BOOST HACK THERE !!!
Clearly not the first to think of this! Anyway, LLE audio was still an issue with this hack, but there's another painfully simple solution: multiply the Audio DMA period by the speed factor. So, with these very simple modifications, we've gotten Dolphin to play at 30 FPS, full speed, LLE audio, without choppy audio issues.

Demonstration video here.

No builds or source to post yet, but if any other programmers are interested, I can post a diff from 305. Nothing terribly interesting; the relevant changes are all in SystemTimers.cpp and there are about 3 lines to change.

P.S. sorry about the fact that I suck at this game :)

Makkun

Smash Journeyman
We're looking for testers to help further our research! You can contact us via PM or send an email to melee.netplay@gmail.com

There are some prerequisites for application:

Minimum requirements:
  • Core2duo @ 2.66 Ghz or higher for Dual Core playtesting.
  • If you are using a PC, First-Gen Core i5 and i7 processors or any Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge processor for Single Core playtesting.
  • If you are using a laptop, Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge Intel processors or comparible AMD processors for Single Core playtesting.
  • You must be able to download multiple Dolphin builds including the currently recommended build (3.0-305).
  • You must download the memory card file provided in the OP.
  • You must have a working version of Melee (we will not provide one for you).

Notes:
  • We may record any gameplay at any time. This may be for our own research, or to post on the internet as data.
  • If you are only able to test for Dual Core mode, expect occasional desyncs after the first match. Part of the process is ironing out these issues.
  • If your computer does not meet the specs listed above, or if your computer can play Dual Core mode perfectly, but not Single Core mode, we can still use your help! We need to test game speed codes that may help lower-end computers play on Dual Core or even Single Core settings without hiccups!

(I'm going to post this in the thread's second post)

NNID
dansalvato
Massive and I used your recommended build and gameplay was unbearably slow. He has a Core 2 Quad Q6600 and I use an i7-920.

I advise you don't bother testing dual core. Its issues aren't ones you can "iron out". We've been working for a year on dual-core syncing and have only had marginal success.

Izuhu

Smash Journeyman
I might be interested. Btw x64 builds are confirmed faster, if no one knew. But you need a x64 OS to use them.

Specs

RAM: 8Gs
Processor: AMD Phenom ii x6 1090T Processor (6 cores) OC @ 3.6ghz on stock parts. (can go higher when I get my corsair h50)
Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce 8600 GTS w/ 3Gs of VM (no OC)

Might upgrade my amd to a i7 and get a better graphics card when I get the money.

Also btw the OpenGL plugin seems to work better with gamecube games than DX9

Makkun

Smash Journeyman
That's awesome, Izuhu. And thanks for the info. It would be great if you could play with us!

And IE, that's so strange that gameplay was so slow. I'm assuming you're on Single Core mode, right? I've got an AMD Phenom X4 Quad Core 2.5Ghz processor (about 4-5 years old now) and I can run single core mode at about 30-40 fps.

Edit: Also, our dual core syncing so far hasn't been too bad. As it says in the OP, you can expect a desync after the first match but we've been able to play extended periods as long as we don't have any random elements. For most people I think they would be okay with that, just as long as they can play full speed online. But that's something we're trying to figure out. You and Massive have a lot of problems keeping synced in Dual Core mode and we are trying to figure out how to avoid that (we know there are problems that we simply can't fix with dual core syncing).

JMC4789

Smash Journeyman
The Core2Quad is not enough to run the game at full speed, but according to my testing you should be getting at least 20 - 30 fps with it. Your i7 920 is superior to my testing machine and without netplay with our settings, you will get full speed on some maps. If you aren't then you're settings are not lined up with what we specified or there is another issue.

For Clarification, I think the 30 fps code you gave would allow you to get full speed with our settings, as my core2duo can get very close on some levels with the patched dolphin core.

And while we don't believe that dualcore mode will be useable in the near future, we do believe at some point, if enough people show interest in using netplay and it catches the dev's attention, it's possible they will give it a serious look!

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
DirectX Diagnostic screenshots, I am interested in testing.

[COLLAPSE="comp info"]
[/COLLAPSE]
CPU and GPU are at stock speeds with stock cooling, z77 mobo, my memory is @1866mhz(not oc just xmp, displays less in dxdiag cuz im using a ramdisk atm), a 120gb SSD(ocz agility3) boot drive and two sata2 HDDs for storage(one is completely empty, I could test using the empty drive if you wish to test HDD vs SSD), lastly using onboard audio.

aside from a wired (lol not wireless with charger..) xbox360 controller and a ps3 controller(BT adapter and mini usb to usb cable), I have these adapters (with apropriate controllers, SANS og XBOX) to test with as well for different controller setups if that would matter.
[COLLAPSE="available adapters"]
[/COLLAPSE]

EDIT: i also have 2 other monitors with resolutions i cannot remmeber right now and a 1920x1080 hdtv i could use besides this 1600x900 if fullscreen is desired in testing

EDIT2: ROFL the DL links are in the OP, feelsbadman....downloading now

JMC4789

Smash Journeyman
We tested latest builds, several 600 builds, several 500 builds, etc. We recommend build 305 because it is a mixture of stable and fast. Going to a newer build would cut down your framerate considerably with no real benefit for Melee. We did not experience desyncs on newer builds, but we also did not experience desyncs in older builds.

We will do further testing as we go, but as of right now, most 3.0 builds should not desync with this particular game.

Further more, one of the goals of Dolphin 4.0 is to increase the speed of the emulator, so we aren't making build specific code. All of our patches and code will be able to apply to any Dolphin build, and hopefully, won't be needed as Dolphin continues to improve.

Makkun

Smash Journeyman
KnitePhox, you seem really prepared. We'd love to have you test and play with us! Do you happen to use AIM or Skype? Instant messaging will be the best way to communicate during testing.

Izuhu, if you have time to test you can PM me or send an email to melee.netplay@gmail.com

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
KnitePhox, you seem really prepared. We'd love to have you test and play with us! Do you happen to use AIM or Skype? Instant messaging will be the best way to communicate during testing.

Izuhu, if you have time to test you can PM me or send an email to melee.netplay@gmail.com
i use skype calling all the time, not much other messaging service besides smashboards pm and skype though

skype namesearch: knitephox

im on right now

Izuhu

Smash Journeyman
Ok, I'll get at you when I download the stuff from the OP, and I'll make a skype for the sake of convenience since I don't have one xD

EDIT: Forget it. I couldn't dump the files from my wii, but I got the dsp files from somewhere else

Izuhu

Smash Journeyman
In the root folder of Dolphin go to User > GC

place MemoryCardA.USA.raw in there

Forgot to mention that timing on dolphin feels weird like it has input delay or something compared to playing on a crt. I don't think its my monitor because I was told monitors don't lag.

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
just played a 40+ minute session, FIRST TRY with JMC and i LIVESTREAMED and recorded it, ill have the link when its available and will also upload to youtube when we are done playing 64.

**** works, doesn't ds if you have legit comp and internet connection

Izuhu

Smash Journeyman
just played a 40+ minute session, FIRST TRY with JMC and i LIVESTREAMED and recorded it, ill have the link when its available and will also upload to youtube when we are done playing 64.

**** works, doesn't ds if you have legit comp and internet connection
MADDDDddddD Hype :O

Izuhu

Smash Journeyman
I might **** up my muscle memory playing this. I can't resist though its "MELEE ONLINE!" xD

I guess I'll have to play train myself to be the Jaime of ssbm online then lol.

JMC4789

Smash Journeyman
The crazy thing is how easily it worked. Once you have the right settings, assuming you have a fast enough computer, it just won't desync.

If you screw up one setting though, it won't last but a match or two at most. So, I'll try to make a tutorial vid on how to setup Dolphin for this later on. I realize that while the text guide mentions all the important settings, there are a lot of things in obtuse places for those of you new to Dolphin. If anyone is having trouble with this, feel free to PM Makkun or I, or shoot us an email! We're always looking for more people to test, and things are looking up after a very successful session.

And if you're experiencing lag in Dolphin, it may be more or less lag than the GC depending on monitor, but if you feel like it's a lot of lag, try using a different controller. Some controllers have some lag due to converting signals. Otherwise, because computer monitors are low response time, it shouldn't have an issue. It could be something with dolphin, but I generally feel that it's about the same; or if I'm using a crap converter, all my games have a slight lag.

Izuhu

Smash Journeyman
LOL master of 8 frames *17frames vs tacos
LOL I played Jaime once long ago, and saw him with like 9 frames on Kaillera. I was like sweet I'm finally gonna get the satisfaction of beating a top player even if it is unofficial. Still got wrecked....I was like :scared: for a good minute. Gotta master the art of BEEF! or die trying lol

The crazy thing is how easily it worked. Once you have the right settings, assuming you have a fast enough computer, it just won't desync.

If you screw up one setting though, it won't last but a match or two at most. So, I'll try to make a tutorial vid on how to setup Dolphin for this later on. I realize that while the text guide mentions all the important settings, there are a lot of things in obtuse places for those of you new to Dolphin. If anyone is having trouble with this, feel free to PM Makkun or I, or shoot us an email! We're always looking for more people to test, and things are looking up after a very successful session.

And if you're experiencing lag in Dolphin, it may be more or less lag than the GC depending on monitor, but if you feel like it's a lot of lag, try using a different controller. Some controllers have some lag due to converting signals. Otherwise, because computer monitors are low response time, it shouldn't have an issue. It could be something with dolphin, but I generally feel that it's about the same; or if I'm using a crap converter, all my games have a slight lag.
I'm actually using the same adapter KnitePhox is using. The blue magic joy one, but I'm gonna test other controllers later. Thanks JMC :)

C.SDK

Smash Ace
JMC4789, would you happen to have a preset controller configuration file for a Gamecube controller? I can never get the shoulder buttons set up correctly. I once managed to do it, but I formatted my computer and lost it.

JMC4789

Smash Journeyman
Unfortunately, I don't have a GC controller converter and don't have a way to make a configuration. I know with 360 controllers, they have a problem with the R2/L2 setup being configured right which is caused by a driver issue... maybe someone around here who has a converter can figure it out.

It's come to my attention that there is an error for the first post. The Core2duo being able to play stages at full speed mentioned was when we originally thought dualcore could somewhat sync. It basically requires a processor one generation up, and will be fixed as soon as possible.

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
for gc controller, before you press the BUTTON for L or R, hold down the button till JUST BEFORE the click, then press it for the BUTTON input. for the SLIDER press L or R till JUST BEFORE the click for the input.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
this is for the 3-in-1 joybox adapter

GCPadNew.ini

[GCPad1]
Device = DInput/0/TigerGame XBOX+PS2+GC Game Controller Adapter
Buttons/A = Button 0
Buttons/B = Button 1
Buttons/X = Button 2
Buttons/Y = Button 3
Buttons/Z = Button 6
Buttons/Start = Button 7
Main Stick/Up = Axis Y-
Main Stick/Down = Axis Y+
Main Stick/Left = Axis X-
Main Stick/Right = Axis X+
C-Stick/Up = Axis Zr-
C-Stick/Down = Axis Zr+
C-Stick/Left = Axis Z-
C-Stick/Right = Axis Z+
Triggers/Threshold = 99.000000
Triggers/L = Button 4
Triggers/R = Button 5
Triggers/L-Analog = Slider 0+
Triggers/R-Analog = Slider 1+
Rumble/Motor = Constant
Rumble/Motor/Range = 1.000000
D-Pad/Up = Hat 0 N
D-Pad/Down = Hat 0 S
D-Pad/Left = Hat 0 W
D-Pad/Right = Hat 0 E
Options/Background Input = 1.000000
[GCPad2]
[GCPad3]
[GCPad4]

also, I am anxious to try this out with someone today (after my nap after work, of course)! I have a desktop with an i7 2600k and nvidia gtx 260 graphics card. Its rare if dolphin is not running at 60 fps on my comp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom