• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee on HDTVs

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Essentially, Stream Engine itself merely takes the compressed audio/video stream and decompresses it for other programs to use. OBS expects the stream to remain constant, but there are points where the video tends to get ahead (probably dropped frames?) and instead of waiting on the current frame for the audio to catch up, it just proceeds to the next frame. RECentral's preview window and, apparently, Amarec, properly handle the audio/video stream. Thanks for the heads up on Amarec, though.

Fizzi

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
FIZZI#36
Stelzig, my audio desyncs over time as well. I feel like it desyncs faster when I capture/stream in 60 fps as opposed to 30 fps.

stelzig

Smash Lord
Still no solution to the lost signal problem? :(

Edit: Considering just getting one of those wii2hdmi thingies to simply avoid using the component cable to solve this. Anyone know if this causes input lag?

Fizzi

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
FIZZI#36
Still no solution to the lost signal problem? :(

Edit: Considering just getting one of those wii2hdmi thingies to simply avoid using the component cable to solve this. Anyone know if this causes input lag?
I have one... I suppose I could test this. If you still put it through the avermedia lgp it might still do it though depending on what's causing it.

Also - using Amarec seems to have solved the audio desync issue for me.

stelzig

Smash Lord
Well aisight said it was happening with component and my searching have given a few results of this happening with ps3 (which also use the AV port) and I have yet to have this problem with my wii u and I have played it enough that it *should* have happened, but I guess it's still possible that i've been lucky.

It does bother me a bit that it's an issue I didn't use to have though so I also want to blame unofficial component cables (but it happened with my ps3 cable too...) or that I somehow broke the port - but since it has happened to others i'm gonna trust that it's something else.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
It tends to happen when a spark occurs, which usually is when a controller is plugged into a console. Since the Wii U is pretty much entirely wireless I'm not surprised it didn't happen with it, even if you were running on component cables.

I still haven't found a working solution, and no response from AVerMedia, unfortunately. I might have to escalate it to their official support form.

Fizzi

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
FIZZI#36
Once again - my blackouts are 100% unrelated to plugging in a controller when the LGP is plugged into my computer as a power source. I even just tried using my Wii as a power source and unplugging/replugging controllers and could not force a blackout.

stelzig

Smash Lord
Well after asking someone else to test his component dongle (mine would drop signal if I wiggled or ocasionally even touched it), I e-mailed avermedia and they're replacing it for me. Hoping it's really a bad component dongle that is the cause of them now. :)
Didn't initially think this was it because the signal would always remain on the capture, but one can hope. Nice to get one that doesn't do this regardless anyway.

SK8orDIE

Smash Apprentice
Read the FAQ on the Wii2HDMI, which states that the product does no upscaling. It merely allows you to send a signal from the Wii (480i, 480p, or 576i) over an HDMI connection. So the Television will end up doing the upscaling. Something to keep in mind when designing a test for this thing.

source: http://www.neoya.com/wii2hdmi

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I ended up not testing the Wii2HDMI yet.

Not upscaling is fine, seeing as how the AVerMedia LGP doesn't upscale the component signal, either.

quickrabbit5

Smash Rookie
I'm vaguely confused though. Doesn't the image have to be upscaled to fit the 1080 vertical resolution of the monitor?

Is that upscaling just done on the TV? So it's just up to how slow the TV upscaler is?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Upscaling time should be trivial for a digital signal on something built to be a gaming monitor.

Top Bottom