• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee or Brawl? First week results up. [Second week results go up 6/05]

Which would you rather play?

• Melee

Votes: 89 62.2%
  • Brawl

Votes: 54 37.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

AfroQT

Smash Master
I don't MM. Never have, and don't intend on starting.
I'll play you in GA at the Atlanta tourney though, friendlies or hate matches, whichever you prefer..

Who said anything about trying? This is just an amusing pass time for me.

Although for someone who was so condescending and pretended to be so far above "forum" disputes, you sure have stuck in it for the long haul.

Went to a tourney, got fourth.
What tournament was that? Who was there? Who won?

And i still dont post multiple paragraphs to look smart on the interwebz.
Bad Troll is Bad

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
Actually, you look like you dodge a whole lot, and nobody's punishing that yet...oh wells... You play pretty stupidly, though...gotta say.

AfroQT

Smash Master
So stupidly that i've never placed below 5th at a tourney?

You play pretty stupidly imo, cuz you dont win.

EDIT: Good players punish it, Lambchopz ***** my sidesteps.

spider_sense

Smash Champion
afro is actaully smarter than you think fenrir. trained by my c0ck survived hardships overcame all obstacle and the thats the fro you see b4 you not the weak pathetic johnning ddd player known as mr h mario. *this is lambchops the man with the small c0ck*

AfroQT

Smash Master
Nah im bad i play stupidly no one knows how to punish dodging cuz its really hard i guess LOL

EDIT:
Because i play stupidly i am now no longer going to dodge incoming attacks i will now just take them like a man so i can be a smart player.

bladeofapollo

Smash Ace
Because i play stupidly i am now no longer going to dodge incoming attacks i will now just take them like a man so i can be a smart player.
Being a smart player doesn't mean taking hits like a man... it means retaliating w/ an attack after you take the hit.

Duchock

Smash Journeyman
Here's why I like Brawl:

I suck at Melee.

An attempt was made, but it's just something that didn't come naturally. I can't wavedash, L cancel, wave land; whatever the crap you crazy people are doing, I can't. The thing is that I don't want to learn how to do these things. It takes time to get good, and I didn't start looking into competative Melee until last year... That's plenty of time to make headway in terms of skill, but I just gave in.

Plus I was kinda turned off by a few members of the community. It's a video game, not a vice. Everytime I see someone throw things or insults after they win/lose a match, I facepalm. It's just not the kind of people I want to be around.

Plus I can't stand playing any of the high tier characters. I'll give you a cookie if you can guess who I enjoy maining with :x

Gmoney

Smash Ace
Jacksonville, FL (UNF) Location: Tavares, FL
see thats the problem with brawl: it doesn't take time to get good in that game lol, in other words its too easy...
IDK about all that. Obviously the metagame is young, so it'll be easier to pick it up and adapt to it for now. But there is something that makes certain players better than others. If this game really were that easy to pick up then we wouldn't be getting consistent results at tourneys.

MusicalMike

Needs to try harder
Slippi.gg
MUSI#321
I prefer which ever game is the popular tournament going game at the time. Right now it is Brawl, but on the inside I truly wish for Melee to revive as the amazing game it was/is on the competitive level.

S0FT

Smash Ace
What consistant results?
Everyone talks about how melee's metagame developed and that brawl's will to "just give it time."
But in brawl you hardly have anything to work with. Random tripping no combos. It looks like the metagame is just going to get more and more campier. Which is boring to play, boring to watch, and no fun at all.

OTRU...

Smash Champion
What consistant results?
Everyone talks about how melee's metagame developed and that brawl's will to "just give it time."
But in brawl you hardly have anything to work with. Random tripping no combos. It looks like the metagame is just going to get more and more campier. Which is boring to play, boring to watch, and no fun at all.
QFtruuuuuuuuuuu

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
What consistant results?
I've won money in every Brawl tournament I've been to. I plan on keeping it that way by winning more.

By the way, I'm basically done with Melee. I'll probably play both after time goes on, but for now I'm just playing the new game.

Melee's the new Super Turbo; people won't move on because "it's such a perfect game." That's cool; I love Super Turbo, but it's not fun when there's no one around that wants to play Third Strike.

Gmoney

Smash Ace
Jacksonville, FL (UNF) Location: Tavares, FL
What consistant results?
Look at the tourney results, but to condense it for you...

Afro is the best in FL right now. He has placed really well in all his tournaments he has entered from the start and placed first at the last Gigs and Seibrik's. FIU is pretty **** all-around. Chops and Linguini are both up there too and are pretty consistent. xYz is definitely the best in CFL. I'm arguably the best in NFL. No hard feelings to those I didn't mention. ;)

I really haven't seen any of these top players that I've mentioned do much in the way of camping, and I haven't been bored yet watching any match in any tournament. I especially can't see this game getting boring when you get ridiculous crowds going for games like Nicholas.Riddle vs. me at the last Gigs that really don't even matter in the grand scheme of things.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I haven't seen any sign of sizable inconsistency so far.

I also have no problem performing combos with any of my characters.

Also, the results of this thread will be tallied up on my birthday. Discuss.

Finch

Smash Lord
Dodging is too good in brawl because the only way to punish it is with a grab which is useless for most characters anyway.

Afro stop pitching a fit everytime someone says melee is better. You didn't play it so you don't know. Obviously you are good at brawl. That doesn't make you cool.

exarch

doot doot doot
Usually not playing Brawl. Location: Enterprise
What tournament was that? Who was there? Who won?

And i still dont post multiple paragraphs to look smart on the interwebz.
Bad Troll is Bad
Manko's last weekend, Colbol won. Of course I could also list several tournaments I went to and won, this was just the most recent I've been to.

And you just did post multiple paragraphs intended for one person on the interwebz.
You should work harder on not contradicting yourself at every turn.
Here's why I like Brawl:

I suck at Melee.

An attempt was made, but it's just something that didn't come naturally. I can't wavedash, L cancel, wave land; whatever the crap you crazy people are doing, I can't. The thing is that I don't want to learn how to do these things. It takes time to get good, and I didn't start looking into competative Melee until last year... That's plenty of time to make headway in terms of skill, but I just gave in.

Plus I was kinda turned off by a few members of the community. It's a video game, not a vice. Everytime I see someone throw things or insults after they win/lose a match, I facepalm. It's just not the kind of people I want to be around.

Plus I can't stand playing any of the high tier characters. I'll give you a cookie if you can guess who I enjoy maining with :x
You think it came naturally for any of us? I hate to say it, because you seem like you have good intentions, but you've got the epitome of a scrub mentality. "It's too hard, so I quit." However, if you had taken the time and effort to learn these techniques, you might understand why people got so upset over a video game. It was a common factor linking people as different as me, Doodah, Synikal, QDVS, and Harriettheguy together. You missed out on that community this past year because you told yourself you "couldn't" do something.

And low tier players were never looked down on. Dguy played M2 his whole time in the game. I've also played many Nesses, AngryLobster, Bluchu, JCpwn, Lumbro, Mow, being some of the better ones. They're all good people and I count them as my friends, because they took the time to learn smash. Plus low tiered players get more fame for doing worse than high tiered players. True, they never really had a shot at money, but then low tiers in brawl don't either. And no one should be going to video game tournaments to make money. Get a job.
brawl. i didnt have fast enough hands to play melee xD
See above paragraphs addressed to Duchock.
In Brawl? Hardly.

LOL.

Put your e-peen anyway, son. Nobody wants to see that ****.

And Exarch, you snipped me.

But friendlies are awesome. Hit me up at the tourney.

Smooth Criminal
You got it.
Not sure how I'll find you, but we've got a couple days.

crispyone

Smash Journeyman
It was a common factor linking people as different as me, Doodah, Synikal, QDVS, and Harriettheguy together.
I'm saddened by the thought that Fred and I are not in this list. In all seriousness though, I agree completely with your post. That is the worst mentality a person can have- "It's too hard so I quit!" I will admit that the techniques in melee are harder to learn and accomplish in an actual match than the brawl ones, but this still shouldn't dissuade anyone from trying to get better.

Duchock

Smash Journeyman
I can see what you're sayin'. Exarch, and you make a good point. But, I don't really feel I missed out on the community. I went to a few tournaments and one smashfest in that time frame. I didn't play in many of them, but I enjoyed hanging around and watching matches. It felt like I was being really creepy and stalkerish, but I enjoyed it for the most part. Made some great friends in the process, but I observed some things I saw in a negative light and made a judgement that nudged me away from playing competatively, whether or not it was defense mechanism developed by my scrub mentality: It's just how I am.

Oh, and I'm not claiming it's natural for you guys. It's just that I tend to stick to only the things I'm natural at. Melee just isn't one of them. I can blame the impending carpal tunnel.

cultofrubik

Smash Journeyman
Otru is sooooo tru. As is exarch.

I didn't start playing Melee competitively when it first came out. In fact, I was awful. All of my friends were. Ironically, our crew started up on Melee about two years ago... Dark Sonic and Raistlin, our crew's two best, were our crew's two worst. They tried. They put some effort. And Raistlin couldn't wavedash until a few months ago! They are the least technical in our crew...and are our best. Hmmm....

This should go to say that no matter how bad you are at something, to give up is plain stupid. You'd be surprised what you can do with a mindset and some effort.

AfroQT

Smash Master
Kk im done posting to people i dont care about., if anyone wants to talk **** to me do it at a tourney in a match as i stomp your a$$.

QDVS

BRoomer
BRoomer
Everyone has the same mindset, it's that, "I'm good at the game that matters (to them) so if you aren't good at that game, then I don't give a **** what you think"!!!

It's why these arguments never get anywhere!!!

And yeah I agree there weren't all these disputes and arguments with the melee scene, but that is partly because we weren't arguing over two games (whether SBB was better than SSBM)

Though it might have been that way at the beginning of SSBM's scene (before all of our time in the community, even mine)!!!

:colorful:

AfroQT

Smash Master
Everyone has the same mindset, it's that, "I'm good at the game that matters (to them) so if you aren't good at that game, then I don't give a **** what you think"!!!

It's why these arguments never get anywhere!!!

And yeah I agree there weren't all these disputes and arguments with the melee scene, but that is partly because we weren't arguing over two games (whether SBB was better than SSBM)

Though it might have been that way at the beginning of SSBM's scene (before all of our time in the community, even mine)!!!

:colorful:
Im the best super mario world player in history i dare you to challenge me QDVS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom