• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee Player Finder

Proverbs

Smash Lord
So, after seeing that there were a ton of these in the character specific threads, I figured that we needed something like this for Melee players which seem to be growing sort of thin. Here people will be able to find other Melee players if they've been lacking in competition as of late. And so, here it is.

Just post your username (Please post your smashboards username so someone can PM you, not your Melee tag. For example, my username is Proverbs, but my Melee tag is Bard, but I list Proverbs because that'll help people find me), age, location, and how far you'd be willing to go to play Melee (casual matches, this isn't supposed to say how far you'd go for a tournament).

I'll separate it into regions later, but here's an example:

Proverbs
Boston, MA
Anywhere I can take the T to get to.

You don't have to list a specific distance or time you'd travel, because for some it's very circumstantial, like me. Reason I put age there is because some people not might feel all too comfortable playing with someone in their mid-twenties if they're only 15. This way people can have a heads up.

And now, the list [If no smasher from a state has yet posted, the state will not be listed]:

Arkansas

--

Altus Consul
North little rock (no idea on zip code)
Arkansas
When every he can get off and rides with me.(he works weekends 99% of the time)
GTFO (crew)

--

Soma21
Cabot, 72023
Arkansas
Doesn't travel, not even to my bi-weeklies
(no crew)

--

VTS(name)
Cabot,72023 (city/zip code)
Arkansas(state)
Any where if heads up by few weeks 3+ (traveling)
My number is (501)743-9497 (i got texting if you don't want to call)
GTFO (crew)

--

Florida

--
BAMN
Winter Springs, FL 32708
Anywhere in a 1 hour travel time.
--

Illinois

--
beTADK
Burbank, IL 60459
We can play at my place.
send me a pm.
--

Massachusetts

--
Proverbs
Boston
Anywhere I can take the T to get to.
--

New York

--
F8
Newburgh, New York
Can't really travel much.
--

Rhode Island

--
Overload
Tiverton, RI
--

Virginia

--
Cinder
Near Richmond
Anywhere in central VA, but needs a heads up.
--

Keep posting your information you guys. I'd love for this to end up helping the Melee community to continue to advance in skill.

Cinder

Smash Master
Cinder
Near Richmond VA
Anywhere in central VA, but I'd need a heads up...

For the record, though, this may be better in each regional zone...but it's a great idea...

And I do believe this is another good place to make my shameless plug...*points to sig*

Overload

Smash Lord
Now we'll get to see how many people here play melee.
Overload
Tiverton, RI

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
We already know there are a lot of people that play melee. This thread is not necessary.

It's not "growing thin"

Overload

Smash Lord
We already know there are a lot of people that play melee. This thread is not necessary.

It's not "growing thin"
I agree it isn't growing thin and there are a ton of people playing this much is obvious, but I've always been curious as to around how many people play

pockyD

Smash Legend
but this thread won't reveal that at all

it'll reveal how many people may or may not play, but did happen to visit the melee boards on this day (which most actual melee players don't do, btw), and actually bothered to post here instead of doing the smart thing and using the regional boards, which are created pretty much exclusively for this purpose (finding local smashers)

Overload

Smash Lord

it'll reveal how many people may or may not play, but did happen to visit the melee boards on this day (which most actual melee players don't do, btw), and actually bothered to post here instead of doing the smart thing and using the regional boards, which are created pretty much exclusively for this purpose (finding local smashers)
there ya go

Proverbs

Smash Lord
The GSC is wayyyyy too confusing for me. It seems like you already need to know who you're trying to find and doesn't help you find out who plays Melee.

It's not "growing thin"
Read below post.

Thank you. I made this so Melee players could find one another. On the regional boards this will either get overlooked or people could just get sectioned off along with all of the Brawl players. This is Melee specific, so I'm making it stay here.

Plus, I'm not going to make the list by regions, I'll do it by states, because realistically, you're not going to travel between states to play smash with someone. Maybe for a tournament, but not for casual play. And that's the purpose of this. I'll start alphabetizing players and states, but I won't list a state if there is no smasher in that area as of yet.

Vts

Smash Champion
hmmm this thread could be good once we have everything we can copy it to our state or something else lol.

VTS(name)
Cabot,72023 (city/zip code)
Arkansas(state)
Any where if heads up by few weeks 3+ (traveling)
My number is (501)743-9497 (i got texting if you don't want to call)
GTFO (crew)

and since my crew member doesn't post on smash boards I'll do it for him

Altus Consul
North little rock (no idea on zip code)
Arkansas
When every he can get off and rides with me.(he works weekends 99% of the time)
GTFO (crew)

I'll also do my other friend

Soma21
Cabot, 72023
Arkansas
Doesn't travel, not even to my bi-weeklies :(
(no crew)

DippnDots

Feral Youth
The GSC is wayyyyy too confusing for me. It seems like you already need to know who you're trying to find and doesn't help you find out who plays Melee.
This thread is wayyyyy too confusing because what you're trying to do has already been done.

pockyD

Smash Legend
Thank you. I made this so Melee players could find one another. On the regional boards this will either get overlooked or people could just get sectioned off along with all of the Brawl players. This is Melee specific, so I'm making it stay here.
that's just wrong. Player finders are almost all linked from a sticky at the top of each regional board

Plus, I'm not going to make the list by regions, I'll do it by states, because realistically, you're not going to travel between states to play smash with someone. Maybe for a tournament, but not for casual play. And that's the purpose of this. I'll start alphabetizing players and states, but I won't list a state if there is no smasher in that area as of yet.
gee, you want to do a division smaller than regions, so you're making the thread in an environment much larger than regions?

makes no sense, guy

Proverbs

Smash Lord
This thread is wayyyyy too confusing because what you're trying to do has already been done.
You're using the wrong words to try to make a clever point. What I'm doing isn't confusing, but you are claiming that it's pointless. However, I think that this is a much more simple and efficient method of gathering smashers. It's quick and to the point, whereas GSC seems to be quite the opposite.

If you want to show me how what I'm doing is actually pointless, and not confusing, I'd love to hear it. Seriously, it's less work for me if I can find the smashers near Boston who want to play Melee without organizing this whole thing.

But until someone can really show me that this is pointless, I'll be convinced that it is not only beneficial for myself, but also helpful for others. Therefore, I continue.

But if you want to shed some light on the situation not only for me, but also for the others here, I will be more than reasonable and more than ready to put my mind to understanding the GSC. As it is, it seems unwieldy, so to speak, and impractical--if helpful at all (No offense to Simna, he's one of my favorite players, but it just doesn't seem like it's doing a whole lot).

that's just wrong. Player finders are almost all linked from a sticky at the top of each regional board

gee, you want to do a division smaller than regions, so you're making the thread in an environment much larger than regions?

makes no sense, guy
1. Saying "That's just wrong" doesn't help anyone understand anything. Elaborate if you really wish to convince me. I don't just move this way or that for unproven logic. Sorry, but until you can help me understand your point of view, I won't accept it. It's only natural, bud.

2. Once again, Melee specific. I'm putting this here for the Melee players. This way we don't have to sift through everyone else. Also, I've posted on (not the regional boards, but character specific ones) player finders and end up not getting put up on there. This way I can be the one influencing what's going on and making sure people don't get overlooked.

And does the board matter besides organization? This is for Melee players and that is why it is here, the first part of the organization method. Secondly, I divide things by state for convenience. People are going to play, typically, with those in their state, not region. I am taking information and compiling it more effectively.

Also, I know that if people don't post their information here, they're not seeking Melee-specific people to play with. It indicates who really wants to play so people aren't wasting their time. The way I see it, this thread is helpful on a couple levels.

It doesn't seem too nonsensical if you ask me.

But prove me wrong. Once again, I'd love for there to be a more efficient way than mine already in existence. Saves me money. Yes, money. I'm spending time on here, and time is money. Not to mention I'm in college and my classes cost money, and the time that I could be using to study is spent not only organizing this here, but also responding to posts like yours. Or if not using it to study, using it as time that I'm not studying and doing things that I want to do, so that later I'll be more apt to study.

However, it isn't really interfering with my classes, not yet leastways, it's only been two days or so.

But, honestly, I really would like to see that there's a better method out there. But until then, I'm going to do what I think will be most beneficial for myself and other Melee smashers alike.

I'm a pretty logical and patient person. Just be respectful and make sense and I'll listen to you. If you prove to me that I'm not doing any good, I'll stop. If not, I'll continue. I'm pretty simple on that level.

--Bard

pockyD

Smash Legend
1. Saying "That's just wrong" doesn't help anyone understand anything. Elaborate if you really wish to convince me. I don't just move this way or that for unproven logic. Sorry, but until you can help me understand your point of view, I won't accept it. It's only natural, bud.
Have you even bothered looking in the regional boards?

for example, stickied in the atlantic north

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=88308

I also wanted to create a list of Smash Finder Threads, but it's come to my attention that some threads are rather outdated and inactive. If you can show in this thread that a Finder Thread is up to date and is maintained properly, then please post the link to that thread and it's general title so that I can list it here.

i felt no need to provide proof because i was asserting something that is literally right where i explained it would be. sorry if "stickied at the top of the regional boards" was really super duper hard for you to locate

2. Once again, Melee specific. I'm putting this here for the Melee players. This way we don't have to sift through everyone else. Also, I've posted on (not the regional boards, but character specific ones) player finders and end up not getting put up on there. This way I can be the one influencing what's going on and making sure people don't get overlooked.
This makes no sense. It's much easier to sift through a list and look for melee as opposed to brawl (one of two choices) than to look through a list to find someone in your state or province or country (one of 50-100 choices)

And does the board matter besides organization? This is for Melee players and that is why it is here, the first part of the organization method.
boards matter exclusively for organization. that's the whole reason they exist! You aren't going to post about new mewtwo techniques in the brawl diddy kong boards are you?

Secondly, I divide things by state for convenience. People are going to play, typically, with those in their state, not region. I am taking information and compiling it more effectively.
once again, if you had even bothered to check out what i referenced, you'd understand that finders are already state-based. too bad it seems you are too high and mighty to have clicked on 3 links and seen for yourself.

Also, I know that if people don't post their information here, they're not seeking Melee-specific people to play with. It indicates who really wants to play so people aren't wasting their time. The way I see it, this thread is helpful on a couple levels.

It doesn't seem too nonsensical if you ask me.
it's nonsense because any intelligent player looking for other people on a geographical basis would use the boards that are based on a geographical premise, that being the regional boards. if they were looking for someone who played a specific character, they would look on the character specific boards.

if they were looking to play a certain game, they may or may not look here, but most importantly, melee is NOT played online, so you have no reason to look for people on a non-geographical basis. You yourself even claimed you'd break it up by state, which is ALREADY DONE and not a novel idea, though you seem to think our community is so stupid that in 7 years, that thought never occurred to us.

But prove me wrong. Once again, I'd love for there to be a more efficient way than mine already in existence. Saves me money. Yes, money. I'm spending time on here, and time is money. Not to mention I'm in college and my classes cost money, and the time that I could be using to study is spent not only organizing this here, but also responding to posts like yours. Or if not using it to study, using it as time that I'm not studying and doing things that I want to do, so that later I'll be more apt to study.
work smart, not hard

once again, you would've seen that i had indeed proven that finders already exist if you had bothered to check it out

However, it isn't really interfering with my classes, not yet leastways, it's only been two days or so.

But, honestly, I really would like to see that there's a better method out there. But until then, I'm going to do what I think will be most beneficial for myself and other Melee smashers alike.
the better system is a finder by area. that's all.

if you can play online (a la brawl), then maybe. but that's a non-issue for melee

I'm a pretty logical and patient person. Just be respectful and make sense and I'll listen to you. If you prove to me that I'm not doing any good, I'll stop. If not, I'll continue. I'm pretty simple on that level.

--Bard
not that logical .. I said "Player finders are almost all linked from a sticky at the top of each regional board" and yet you consider the fact that they are already there insufficient

why do you think you have you earned my respect if you don't respect the simple statements that i've already made enough to at least attempt to verify their truthhood before asserting their falseness?

Proverbs

Smash Lord
Have you even bothered looking in the regional boards?

for example, stickied in the atlantic north

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=88308

i felt no need to provide proof because i was asserting something that is literally right where i explained it would be. sorry if "stickied at the top of the regional boards" was really super duper hard for you to locate

This makes no sense. It's much easier to sift through a list and look for melee as opposed to brawl (one of two choices) than to look through a list to find someone in your state or province or country (one of 50-100 choices)

boards matter exclusively for organization. that's the whole reason they exist! You aren't going to post about new mewtwo techniques in the brawl diddy kong boards are you?

once again, if you had even bothered to check out what i referenced, you'd understand that finders are already state-based. too bad it seems you are too high and mighty to have clicked on 3 links and seen for yourself.

it's nonsense because any intelligent player looking for other people on a geographical basis would use the boards that are based on a geographical premise, that being the regional boards. if they were looking for someone who played a specific character, they would look on the character specific boards.

if they were looking to play a certain game, they may or may not look here, but most importantly, melee is NOT played online, so you have no reason to look for people on a non-geographical basis. You yourself even claimed you'd break it up by state, which is ALREADY DONE and not a novel idea, though you seem to think our community is so stupid that in 7 years, that thought never occurred to us.

work smart, not hard

once again, you would've seen that i had indeed proven that finders already exist if you had bothered to check it out

the better system is a finder by area. that's all.

if you can play online (a la brawl), then maybe. but that's a non-issue for melee

not that logical .. I said "Player finders are almost all linked from a sticky at the top of each regional board" and yet you consider the fact that they are already there insufficient

why do you think you have you earned my respect if you don't respect the simple statements that i've already made enough to at least attempt to verify their truthhood before asserting their falseness?
You're right. There's already a better system. Sorry about that.

ophanimx

Smash Rookie
Richmond, Va. I know one other fairly addicted melee kid out this way and another four or five former addicts.

Can't travel. Too poor, no free time. Yay full time jobs.

Edit: Doesn't seem like there's anything wrong in posting here AND the regional boards, considering how slow the melee boards have gotten.. it's not hogging up front page space, exactly. Shrug.

Top Bottom