• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee State of the Game: We will be back in late January!

Divinokage

Smash Legend
I definitely feel a commentator should be in this show. Ie. HMW+ phil or w/e

Commentators know alot about the community and make things interesting as well, they were pretty much born to talk into mics. Kinda like how day9, artosis, or tasteless appears on the show. Exciting personalities make for exciting shows as well.
This is a good idea but well we gotta start somewhere, right? Eventually things will go a lot smoother.

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL. KAGE DID U REALLY THINK THE PHILLIES WERE THE HOCKEY TEAM?!?!

lololooooooooool.

As a sports fan i am offended deeply.

:phone:

PEEF!

Smash Hero
Alright I'm broadcasting now, gonna try to work out some kinks that will surely come.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
Was it just me, or did it seem like there was some bad blood between Peef and MacD?
We are actually on really good terms. He just has gotten a little entitled in calling me out in front of people whenever he feels like it. Not really appropriate IMO.

Show was actually pretty good I think for our first go-round. We have all talked quite a bit separately, (except Prog, that was my first time talking to him) so the group dynamic wasnt bad except when MacD randomly snapped when he could have been more respectful in directing conversation.

MacD

Banned via Administration
ummmm, i didn't feel like i snapped, but sorry i didn't know how to more tactfully change the discussion

i still stand by what i said though

also i was thinking, you should have like a base question or 2 for everyone on the show. not sure what it would be, but like how they got into smash, what kept them going, how they got their tag, etc. (can be anything really, just not sure what would be a good question to ask everyone). seems like it would be interesting if you got to find out the same thing from every player, since obviously topics are going to change week by week

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Ya I'm rewatching the state of the game at work atm, and im working on the timelines too at the same time. Well, I just paused at the part where Peef claims you snapped, but it didn't seem to be the case.. it was just how you worded it that may of been misunderstood but ya wtv. It's chill and stuff.

As for new ideas, I'll get back on that once I'm done this.

Signia

Smash Lord
lol "only 30 people at that tournament and there's good people? that must suck"

welcome to SoCal

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Timeline for Episode 1

0:45 - Melee is fun
1:20 - Genesis 2
6:15 - MW sucks balls. (For a lot of reasons lol)
9:00 - More Genesis 2 awesome stuff
15:20 - Recent tournament results
19:45 - Camping vs Aggression (I actually thought of this, it's definitely true.. certain players make the game not fun because of camping)
29:50 - So far Genesis 2/Mango
30:20 - Will the melee community be alive in 2-3 years?
40:20 - European smash scene and ideas
47:20 - A little project M
50:40 - Elo Rating
59:00 - Amateur brackets
1:12:00 - ATLNorth video compilation/regional videos
1:28:00 - Favorite smash moment and why
1:38:00 - Strategies and quirks, lol
1:49:00 - Who was the first person that made you, Wow!!?? In the beginning of the competitive
1:57:00 - What do you guys do to improve?
2:02:00 - How do you get over nerves? (There's a thought in there that I wanted to finish but I got cut out because of the internet.. It was the more you go to tournaments, the less you'll get nervous because you'll find easier ways how to deal with it and it's not going to be much a big deal anymore eventually.)
2:08:00 - Give us your thoughts, tell us some questions you would like to hear and stuff. Thanks!

Edit: I think overall it went pretty well. I think I need to say things a bit more clearly, like talk the way I write.. I'll try that but it's pretty tough to think on the spot for me. Connor needs to talk more, he giggled and sneezed once in a span of 40 mins lol. Umm.. Getting off subject is fine i think since when we talk we can definitely cover a lot more than simply write things.. just not for too long to keep people interested. I didn't really have anymore issues really.

Edit 2: Peef if you want to put that in the OP or rework it a little bit to make it pretty, that's fine.

Wake

Smash Master
Hmmm well I didn't think it was inappropriate haha I thought MacD was hilarious. I thought it was good for the show. It put some comedy in there... I'm sure, Peef, that you've seen the latest SC2 State of the Game with the whole IdrA/Day9 deal. I think it could be interesting if there was some kind of debate about something in the current metagame or maybe the stagelist, tier list, doubles tier list, etc.

Vts

Smash Champion
Well give me the date for episode two and i'll see we can make something work out with Saber Gaming time

questions, concerns, and other things can be talked about during this time.

Also if all things go well with this venue we are looking at we might have a huge tournament to rival that of the FC series. This tournament will include the other fighters like mvc blazblue and more, we got justin wong to come for ark 3 and he loved it and said he is coming back to more arkansas tournaments.

More details on that but the time for it will be around September this year hope to make the big announcement on episode 2 or episode three

ConnorTheKid

Treat Yo' Self
Premium
I'll be sure to talk more next time. it was just kinda hard because I didn't wanna interrupt anyone

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Well give me the date for episode two and i'll see we can make something work out with Saber Gaming time

questions, concerns, and other things can be talked about during this time.

Also if all things go well with this venue we are looking at we might have a huge tournament to rival that of the FC series. This tournament will include the other fighters like mvc blazblue and more, we got justin wong to come for ark 3 and he loved it and said he is coming back to more arkansas tournaments.

More details on that but the time for it will be around September this year hope to make the big announcement on episode 2 or episode three
I think we wanted to do one every week, isn't that right? I mean thursday night I'm usually free to do whatever. What exactly do you want to do here other than announce your tournament?

Edit: Lol Connor, don't worry about it, if you want to say something then do it when someone finished their idea.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
when's the next one gonna be?
and any idea who you're gonna have next time?

Bones0

Smash Legend
Very enjoyable stream guys. I felt like the flow of the conversation was actually pretty natural and efficient. The only times it seemed to stall were in between topics when people seemed hesitant to change the subject. I feel like when you're doing that sort of talk show format, you have to just roll with the conversation and the feedback (in terms of quality of discussion) amongst the other panelists tends to be much higher.

I'm eager to hear some ruleset/stage list discussion. It's definitely been one of my most passionate topics on the forums so I'd be more than willing to go on and present some arguments against what I feel are major weak spots in our current rule sets. I'm particularly curious how pro players' opinions of stages and rules will vary from some of the suggestions I've heard on the boards. It was touched on a little in a discussion about Brinstar being ridiculous and the fact that no one practices on counter picks, but the conversation kind of got steered away.

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
This was great. Of course there were a lot of hiccups (technical issues, a few awkward moments, etc) but thats to be expected on the first episode. Overall, it was great, and I can't wait for next week's show. This could become a legendary show...it has potential. :)

PEEF is the man.

(small suggestion: spend a little time looking at recent tourney results/videos before the cast. I feel like the first ~30 mins should be dedicated to that, and then move on to gossip/misc topics)

PEEF!

Smash Hero
Please post subjects that you want discussed and if you want to ask specific questions to any of us you can ask that too!

We will switch out at least one person each week, with the stable crew being MacD, Kage and myself. If you are a pro/think you have something to contribute then send me a PM and I will get you on the show!
Thanks so much everyone for your support, I hope this becomes a big success.

PS: We will be doing the stream from Reneblades house this week!

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
Next time there is discussion from a topic you might consider a guest appearance by someone that is in opposition to everyone else. Otherwise when nobody knows anything about the topic and one person explains it we're getting a bunch of uneducated opinions, most of which are just comments that are only based off the explanation of one person that is opposed to the idea. And Peef just in case you didn't see it in the Elo topic, Elo is not an acronym and is pronounced just how it reads. It's the inventors last name.

TheZhuKeeper

Smash Champion
Wow I'm listening to it and this sounds incredibly fun. I'd love to make a guest appearance or something next time if I get the chance. Very sad I missed this =(

MTKO

Smash Journeyman
I'd like to hear everyone's opinions on play styles a little more. Someone was talking about How Mango doesn't like camping and things of that nature and that led to a bit of chat on the subject, but maybe you could elaborate on the dominant play styles in the current metagame and what ones seem to be doing the best. As well as what styles you see lower level players use compared to high level or pros. It would also be cool to hear what particular aspects of your game each of you are working on, or maybe even what aspects of the game haven't been fully tapped yet. That would be interesting. What is the current meta game shifting towards?

Signia

Smash Lord
Wow I'm listening to it and this sounds incredibly fun. I'd love to make a guest appearance or something next time if I get the chance. Very sad I missed this =(
Yeah they should put you on the permanent panel you always have something interesting to say

MasterShake

Smash Lord
I'd like you guys to find clips of videos you find interesting (perhaps a certain spacing or weird mindgame) and analyze it super in depth.

I say that because a part of this that stood out to me was when Kage said something like "I'll just space or retreat" etc. and PEEF said "That's really ambiguous". I was like damn right it was, can you guys please go really in depth with situations? Certain spacings? If there's a platform? If you've already been in said situation a couple times? That's what I'd like to hear more about. How high level players think while playing.

Frozener

Smash Rookie
Great job for a first episode! I think another interesting discussion would be debunking the relevance and accuracy of the tier list in current metagame. For example, do all characters deserve their place? What characters are really breaking out and what characters are falling out of favor? What new characters can you realistically see winning a national in the near future? What are the main factors that are keeping some great characters (Peach, Falcon, Ganon, ICs, etc.) from achieving this kind of success? Is it the players themselves or their character's limitations that are holding them back? I'd really be interested to here your thoughts in the next episode. Keep up the good work!

Divinokage

Smash Legend
I'd like to hear everyone's opinions on play styles a little more. Someone was talking about How Mango doesn't like camping and things of that nature and that led to a bit of chat on the subject, but maybe you could elaborate on the dominant play styles in the current metagame and what ones seem to be doing the best. As well as what styles you see lower level players use compared to high level or pros. It would also be cool to hear what particular aspects of your game each of you are working on, or maybe even what aspects of the game haven't been fully tapped yet. That would be interesting. What is the current meta game shifting towards?
Well, I for one, will definitely like to talk about this. That could be a good subject to talk about.

I'd like you guys to find clips of videos you find interesting (perhaps a certain spacing or weird mindgame) and analyze it super in depth.

I say that because a part of this that stood out to me was when Kage said something like "I'll just space or retreat" etc. and PEEF said "That's really ambiguous". I was like damn right it was, can you guys please go really in depth with situations? Certain spacings? If there's a platform? If you've already been in said situation a couple times? That's what I'd like to hear more about. How high level players think while playing.
Ya alright, at that part, I was being stupid.. just spam moves, fair, upair, dtilt, ftilt.. etc. lol. But ya in episode 2 I suppose it could also be a good idea to do this too, I can try to get into this.

Peef, is it doable from the stream to show the viewers a video and then someone on the call can try to analyse something? I mean showing the thought process can be cool, I know different communities definitely do that from popular players. I've seen some people like Marn and Jwong doing this. They did it live but ya we can do it from the skype I think..

Great job for a first episode! I think another interesting discussion would be debunking the relevance and accuracy of the tier list in current metagame. For example, do all characters deserve their place? What characters are really breaking out and what characters are falling out of favor? What new characters can you realistically see winning a national in the near future? What are the main factors that are keeping some great characters (Peach, Falcon, Ganon, ICs, etc.) from achieving this kind of success? Is it the players themselves or their character's limitations that are holding them back? I'd really be interested to here your thoughts in the next episode. Keep up the good work!
I don't think talking about the tier list itself is very interesting. Though I guess talking about the limitations of a character when you compare it to the player is much more interesting as you get to talk about your experience and things like that.

Top Bottom