• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee Teams Q/A Thread.

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
People on the forum has been asking about team combos, e.t.c. So I decided to make a Melee teams Q/A thread for rookies and other players.

Post anything you feel about combos, ways to save your teammates, e.t.c. Me or other players will answer your question as soon as possible.

Any false information will be corrected.

Don't be shy to ask.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Not trying to rain on your effort to improve the community, but questions about teams can just be answered in the regular Q&A thread, or on the appropriate character boards. There isn't exactly a large influx of questions about teams or anything.

bertbusdriver

Smash Ace
Not trying to rain on your effort to improve the community, but questions about teams can just be answered in the regular Q&A thread, or on the appropriate character boards. There isn't exactly a large influx of questions about teams or anything.
I think we could benefit from a thread like this, or at least a general teams tips etc. thread. I've look on the "Everything" thread, and there isn't a single thread linked there about teams. I'm trying to help my roommate get better at teams, and watching videos and the random tidbits i think of everytime we play aren't exactly cutting it.

Bones0

Smash Legend
If the thread was a thorough guide on the basics of teams with common goals and strategies to work on, it wouldn't be an issue, but this thread is the same exact thing as the regular Q&A thread, except it only includes questions about teams. If it became an active discussion about teams tactics that'd be cool, but I didn't think that was where this thread was going.

Nvm, I probably overreacted or w/e. I am an OCD clutter-hater, so that's my john. XD

bertbusdriver

Smash Ace
what you described is exactly what i'd like to see happen, Bones0. We could get it going in that direction? Any Q+A that isn't super specific and is important knowledge should just go into the OP.

General tips on 2v1's? I'm talking about both sides. How to come back as the individual and how to efficiently win when you have the advantage.

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
If the thread was a thorough guide on the basics of teams with common goals and strategies to work on, it wouldn't be an issue, but this thread is the same exact thing as the regular Q&A thread, except it only includes questions about teams. If it became an active discussion about teams tactics that'd be cool, but I didn't think that was where this thread was going.

Nvm, I probably overreacted or w/e. I am an OCD clutter-hater, so that's my john. XD
I went through the regular Q&A thread and I dont see anyone asking about set ups for the kill or combos from both teammates. I made this thread for people to ask questions about combos e.t.c. Its not always about singles matchups or character specifics. Maybe no ones posting on this thread because everyone on this site has a BIG EGO. they have so much pride in themselves that flunk teams at every tourney they attend.

Maybe the players on this site isn't ready to wake up yet.

For example. A good Puff and fox combo would be foxes bthrow> puff would rest. But it seems to me that all of the players have too much of an ego to recognize that and ****s up in tournaments.

Mindgames Son!

Smash Cadet
whats a good way to practice with teaming in general, in case you dont get the chance to have a regular partner?

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
The best way to practice is to focus on grab set ups. If your playing alone and you have two controls, play 2v1 lv1 cpu.

One of my fav. grab set ups would be one character grabs and fox would usmash the opponent.

Mindgames Son!

Smash Cadet
whats a good grab set up if you are marth and your teamamte is grabbing? Tipper is kinda obvious but even if you take time to get the spacing for it your opponent's teamate might be able to disrupt your set up

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
Learn how to sweatspot properly.

Another option would be to use Marth's b attack. Don't charge it up fully but make sure that your spacing is in check.

Also if your opponent is grabbed on the edge. Your partner can up throw and then you can spike them with a dair.

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
Firstly to avoid hitting your teammate DD a lot. Make sure that fox is in front. Your teammate can bait the other team by short hopping in place. When the opposite team approaches fox would full hop causing the opposite team to mess up their spacing. Thats when you come in. grab the opponent>uthrow, your teammate would fullhop bair after the up.

Saving for Marth is one of the hardest things to do in teams. One way to save fox with Marth is to reverse bair after foxes firefox. I recommend you telling your teammate to use firefox more often then using illusion.

Vouge

Smash Journeyman
I think saves require an interpretable line of communication between teammates. Whether it be direct conversation or implicit signs its a whole lot easier for me to know when to help my teammates if we have a system beyond just being aware of his/her status.

Understanding your teammates recovery patterns and familiarizing yourself with his/her character would probably help.

I'd like a little help in terms of in match communication. Anyone have pointers for how to get your point across while stressed and with the other team right next to you?

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
I think saves require an interpretable line of communication between teammates. Whether it be direct conversation or implicit signs its a whole lot easier for me to know when to help my teammates if we have a system beyond just being aware of his/her status.

Understanding your teammates recovery patterns and familiarizing yourself with his/her character would probably help.

I'd like a little help in terms of in match communication. Anyone have pointers for how to get your point across while stressed and with the other team right next to you?
Hand gestures work a lot at tourneys. One of my favorites is waving my hand quickly to tell my opponent to hold back and camp.

Also practice against lv. 1 and learn how to stay in sync.

^^same question as him, except for Falco? And what are some thoughts on good teamates with Falco?
Falco's bread and butter is the laser save. If your good at wall jumping, you can wall jump uair to save your teammate. on the other hand, falco's recovery is poor so im not sure if it will work. I use fox and it works for me because my teammate can sdi the uair and at the same time i can get back onto the stage.

Top Bottom