• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee v. Brawl: which has more playstyle variety?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
I've played melee, and I've played Brawl. In melee, I always felt there were a lot of clones, and completely different characters would often use the same approach tactics. It seems like there were only a few tactics that worked in any given situation, that offence and defence had to be perfectly balanced for every character, or else you would be severely punished.

In Brawl, there are characters who go full offence, characters who go full defence, characters who approach and those who don't, and those who can choose to do either. Characters like Olimar who play completely diffently than any character in the history of Smash.

Yet I hear a lot of melee veterans who insist that melee has more unique playstyles than Brawl. when asked, they simply say compare these two fox users. It is assumed that because at this point in the metagame a lot of people use similar styles for any given character, the variety in playstyle is diminished. However, a lot of people used similar playstyles in melee, as the mimicked the masters of their characters.

I simply do not see how melee has more playstyle variety than Brawl, with its smaller cast and somewhat uniform system for attempting combos, approaching and retreating. Please explain.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
this is going to turn into yet another brawl vs. melee debate... please stop.

It's the same thing, over and over again. Brawl says characters, Melee says ATs... Brawl says more balance, Melee says balance lies in Mk and Snake.

while you do bring up a point, my question is this... did it have to be brought up? maybe I'm just blowing this outta proportion...

Youko

Podcasting Pro
NNID
SMYNYouko
3DS FC
1418-6781-7411
Why do we always get the people making threads that think "Melee vs. Brawl" is such a great idea and hot topic to delve into...

:026:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom