• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight - Behind the Mask

the_judge

Smash Journeyman
I'm curious about this too...
It's kinda risky but easy.
All it really is, is a juggle of d/nairs, and I end it with a Tornado to reach up to 55%. (I'm sure you shouldn't have trouble gettin them off the ground)

I stopped using it because of
1.) The risk factor (seriously, I got baired by a Pit because of DI)
2.) A lot of chars can either DI away, air dodge, or counterattack
3.) You can still follow the DI in the combo, but it is difficult
4.) Just doesn't sound practical

I gave up almost all midair juggle combos with MK.
Rather than chase them up and probably get smacked with a dair (Lucario much), now I'd much rather return to the ground and go either into defense or mix it up.

Also, does any1 agree with me that drill rush can sometimes be a better recovery choice over Shuttle Loop?
Especially if you know DR's sweetspot.

Zephyr

Smash Lord
I gave up almost all midair juggle combos with MK.
Whatever happened to spamming uairs on the way up? O_O I land at least 3-4 every time.

And every time after hitting with uairs, I finish with a shuttle loop at the end. Very effective upwards killing strategy.

the_judge

Smash Journeyman
Whatever happened to spamming uairs on the way up? O_O I land at least 3-4 every time.

And every time after hitting with uairs, I finish with a shuttle loop at the end. Very effective upwards killing strategy.
I've ran into several occasions when the enemy can just airdodge or counterattack.

I'm starting to believe MK does better on platformed stages.

Is any1 running into trouble against Olimar and Lucario like I am?
Rather ask it here than making a thread.

Terranrox

Smash Journeyman
I've ran into several occasions when the enemy can just airdodge or counterattack.

I'm starting to believe MK does better on platformed stages.

Is any1 running into trouble against Olimar and Lucario like I am?
Rather ask it here than making a thread.
Umm I dont thinks so... Meta Knight does well on both platformed and non- platformed stage as long as its 1 vs. 1 match

Also please relate more on your problems with lucario and olimar so i can evaluate...

the_judge

Smash Journeyman
Well, Lucario is my main problem.
I'm fully aware of Lucario's increasing attack power at high %.
If I'm offensive I might get smacked with an fair, dair, or counter.
If I go defense, I might trapped into his special grab (we're talking one shielded jab and then I get grabbed) and sometimes my shield grab won't catch him which = a free dtilt for Lucario. (1 stock gone)

He knows how to perfect shield very well and this throws off my offense game because I'll prolly be shield grabbed.
I can't juggle him at all because of his dair.
It sometimes beats my shuttle loop, and heplays an excellent ledge camp game.
Sweetspotting is out of the division because he knows how to position his dair next to the ledge. So the only choice I ever have left is to glide over him, which is not safe and can get me killed 85% of the time.

Olimar is no longer trouble to me.

Shadow 111

Smash Lord
Well, Lucario is my main problem.
I'm fully aware of Lucario's increasing attack power at high %.
If I'm offensive I might get smacked with an fair, dair, or counter.
If I go defense, I might trapped into his special grab (we're talking one shielded jab and then I get grabbed) and sometimes my shield grab won't catch him which = a free dtilt for Lucario. (1 stock gone)

He knows how to perfect shield very well and this throws off my offense game because I'll prolly be shield grabbed.
I can't juggle him at all because of his dair.
It sometimes beats my shuttle loop, and heplays an excellent ledge camp game.
Sweetspotting is out of the division because he knows how to position his dair next to the ledge. So the only choice I ever have left is to glide over him, which is not safe and can get me killed 85% of the time.

Olimar is no longer trouble to me.
i'm not too good against lucario either. think he'd be good against meta knight.
olimar i think gets ***** by mk lol. seriously just combo the crap out of him and gimp him. also tornado spam and kill his pikmin.

does anyone here think G&W is good against meta? maybe it's just difficult for me but i do a lot better using pkmn trainewr against G&W ... same with pika.

ripman3

Smash Journeyman
Something I like to do with Metaknight to get kills is when they are at higher percentages is to chase them vertically with up airs. I think the up air is surprisingly strong, if only just enough for this use. This doesn't always work, but I've had some success with it.

Terranrox

Smash Journeyman
I see the problem... Lucario's dair does affect the falling speed of the character and your friend most likely has the technique to the point of probably avoiding all ur anti- airs like peach (umbrella) and game and watches (parachute)... so I strongly recommend giving up vertically KOing your friend... so I would reccomend horizontal Ko's instead... Why? your fairs and bairs have very good knock back and your multi jumps and glide will help you chase him/ her note that if you glide attack (while gliding tap A for swift sword slash) it will vertically knock them back so unless your friend is at least 130- 140% (on the safe side) I dont recommend using the glide attack so instead cancel out of it (in most cases its either press jump again if you cant try tilting Meta Knight's glide into a 180 degree angle or so) then follow it with another fair.... if you are too far from the stage to jump back to the stage use the shuttle loop's auto glide to get back... If this dosent work it might be because you didnt rack up enough damage on Lucario... in some cases Lucario might recover and since he can wall cling/ jump and then do a curved extreme speed to get back on the stage... (thus rendering the dimensional edge game useless) this can be avoided by when Lucario wall clings you drop down the ledge to the point where Lucario is and shuttle loop not only will this most likely get you back on to the ledge safely but also will bump off the wall and if its Final Destination the slanted wall (you know the one below the actual stage) should bump/ spike the Lucario below the stage, or distance him away from the stage beyond recovery

oh and if someone else can give you tip on verticle kills thats cool too but my style is almost always horizontal and if they go below the stage by chance I Dimensional edge game if they cant wall cling/ jump since most characters cant

ipreferpi

Smash Apprentice
Meta knights d air owns if you know how to use it right
Wow. This post is completely worthless.
I could say that ANY move owns if you know how to use it right.
You didn't even provide any examples.

also yes I am a hypocrite and this post is completely worthless go away

Terranrox

Smash Journeyman
There are those times where I am utterly shocked by what people say and this is one of them... As the saying goes "DE DE DEE"- Mind of Mencia

And this is a question for rip man: Since my meta knight is more focused on horizontal killing style (as mentioned in my previous post) can you relate more on your verticle killing style? Knowledge is power and mastering both directions will be beneficial to me...

cmasterchoe

Smash Journeyman
Lord, i haven't been on these forums for a while. I was a hardcore 64 smasher and never got around to melee. As i was playing brawl I was looking for a character that most resembled my 64 pikachu who was definitely the fastest player for 64 smash. I found metaknight to be the analogous character for pikachu given that when i play him all i use are pretty much his short hop aerials.

I've found that my fav KO move is to get the % up and then hit them with the up-B near the edge (preferably at the end of an aerial combo). Just my two cents, wondering if there were any other old 64 heads who could identify.

Terranrox

Smash Journeyman
Today, I hereby confess as a Smash Hunter...
Why? Today I met someone who has brawl and we had very pleasant conversation about the game. That was until we talked about our.

He was at first talking about him being a pretty good Lucas user... I respected that since I acknowledge Lucas as pretty good character, then it all went sour when I said "Oh yeah um.. my mains are Meta Knight, Ike, and Peach but sometimes I use Rob and Olimar for fun." Then he said "Huh?!? But why? Meta Knight and Ike sucks." Ummm... yeah there is actually people like this in the world. Then I did my fake smile (it was really hard to do, not many n00bs can reach this lvl. n00by-ness, and I strongly dislike people messin with the good names of my mains) and casually asked for his brawl code so we could play online later that day.

When I got home to play against him, we had a clean connection I totally pwnd him with Meta Knight from all the 5 matches I 3 stocked him out of 3 stocks for each match and the most I ever took in one match is 72%. It was a massacre...

Now I feel i dont have the right to say it is wrong to go n00b hunting

Zephyr

Smash Lord
Online prevents humiliation.

Down with online! (not really, though. XD)

One thing, though. You say that you sometimes use ROB and Olimar for fun. Are your mains less fun for you to use...?

Zephyr

Smash Lord
I dunno. I just don't see why someone would play competitively if it weren't fun. That's why I do it.

Terranrox

Smash Journeyman
When I say its for fun... I kind of play them but I'm not superb with those characters I only play them while I play against my friends. Its like characters I woudnt dare to use in competitive matches since I know other people will grind me flat if I use those characters... While Meta Knight (my main main) is what I use in competitive matches where my skill reaches 4.4 stars (5 is best of the best) Its strange though for no apparent reason I cant be good with Meta Knight unless I'm using the red color scheme its absurd. So yeah I reserve my big guns for bigger wars but when I'm with my friends I use Rob and Olimar.

My Peach is still awkward from Melee to Brawl transition, of the characters I use in skill is like:

Keep in mind this star system is out of 5:

Meta Knight: 4.5 star
Ike: 3.9 star
Lucas: 3.9 star
Peach: 3
Rob: 2.6
Olimar: 3.8
Marth: 4 star
Peach: 3.5 star

Btw. here is something new to start...
I am Red Meta Knight what about you?

Terranrox

Smash Journeyman
I agree Black Meta Knight to me is = to Hannah Montanna in the terms of way too over rated

Green is awesome since nobody but you and Gimpy uses that color scheme...

ollenberger121

Smash Apprentice
LOLZ ive been useing green since day one becuase my handle is "gobln" ...(green goblin) ....get it ?

LastReaper

Smash Cadet
Hay guyz. I think I found something useless! When you're performing dimensional edge hogging, (if u think u missed ur shot) just tilt up right before you reapear for an 100% sure edge grab! And u can use this on any map.

Oh and I use black MK :p

ollenberger121

Smash Apprentice
hey my brother the other day used kirbys down B .....and i was flying rite under it .....and i was like OMFG im done for and out inpulse i slashed out of glide and guess what happend my slash hit his brick and i was alive .....witch mean MKs ability to not die has increased by 100%

Terranrox

Smash Journeyman
hey my brother the other day used kirbys down B .....and i was flying rite under it .....and i was like OMFG im done for and out inpulse i slashed out of glide and guess what happend my slash hit his brick and i was alive .....witch mean MKs ability to not die has increased by 100%
That just means you clashed with Kirby's d- special it really isnt that surprising though since we all know Meta Knight's superb priority and speed in his attacks cept for his jab(s). To make my point more clear its like I was never successfully hit by a full charged Giant Punch from DK (kirby 2 times) because I always managed to clash with it or hit DK first due to its awesomeness

ollenberger121

Smash Apprentice
The only reason i was suprised is because that move should not "clash" with his downB and even if it does you go right under it after and should be hit by it.

EDIT: And can we find a way to stop all the threads about ....

I CANT BEAT ________i need help.... its really anoying because it bumps actual good threads off the front page.

Zephyr

Smash Lord
Compile a character matchups thread.

Oh wait, the metagame hasn't advanced enough to make individual strategies against specific characters. We just have to live with the stupid majority crying for help instead of practicing the right way and figuring it out on their own.

Terranrox

Smash Journeyman
Well it does happen... and if you notice that during a clash there is a small moment where the two characters freeze I'm guessing that is where the all knock back and damage is negated but your quite right the new "almost everything can be negated by clash" concept was a surprise at first...

As for the second part I was strongly considering asking a group of people who has a lot of experience with Meta Knight to join me and create a joint effort thread that is sort of like a "I Cant Beat ________" Meta Knight support thread

I dont like to give advice or do an important project on my own so... If any one out there who knows a lot about Meta Knight, core basics, advanced techniques, combos, combo potential, and etc. I would be more then happy to start a thread like that if someone helped me make such a thread.

And also I gave out a lot of suggestions through out the Meta Knight can someone give me feed back on how helpful you think my advises and strats are...

Zephyr

Smash Lord
Well, you don't have to be good to know how to be good. (Totally stole that from The Last Tier War) I'm pretty sure I can help with this if you need anything.

Top Bottom