• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight EVIL???????

sugarpoultry

BRoomer
BRoomer
Hmm... I always thought he was an enemy in Kirby Games. Course, I've never played Kirby games. :p But hey thats cool. ;)

I like playing good characters.

Desruprot

Smash Lord
I always thought him nuetral, mainly since I did do some reading up on him, overall he is chivalrous, and at time seeks to either train kirby, but in Superstar he was just angry enough to be evil, Metaknight is the fine line between good and evil...

blubomber17

Smash Apprentice
Who knows... he might be good, and his ship was stolen. Or, he could betray the Subspace Army. Or, he could just be siding with the bad guys. >_<

metaknighter

Smash Apprentice
metaknight is Kirby's Slival , or something like that...point is metaknight is like slival and kirby is like rocket.... from Rocket slime...I dont know what im slimeing..er talking about. Anyway, metaknight might have been turned into a trophy, and until later in the game, he is trapped by the minister...and is resqued by Mario and co. later.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
In today's Dojo update in the vid it shows Metaknight teaming with Ice Climbers, leading me to believe he isn't evil, more of just a mysterious character maybe?

I've never seen Metaknight in any games other then Brawl, so I don't know all that much about him without the updates.

WingedKnight

Smash Ace
a-HA! PROOF for my argument that Meta Knight isn't, won't be, and never was a villain. I should know, I've played a multitude of Kirby games. He's clearly fighting the Subspace Army in screenshots (refer to my first post on this thread to see) and now he's teamed up with little do-gooder Eskimos!! Doesn't sound particularly villainous to me!! MK's good, ship was stolen, he's out for blood, Ancient Minister blood!! ;)

fums63

Smash Apprentice
a-HA! PROOF for my argument that Meta Knight isn't, won't be, and never was a villain. I should know, I've played a multitude of Kirby games. He's clearly fighting the Subspace Army in screenshots (refer to my first post on this thread to see) and now he's teamed up with little do-gooder Eskimos!! Doesn't sound particularly villainous to me!! MK's good, ship was stolen, he's out for blood, Ancient Minister blood!! ;)
ICE CLIMBERS ARE EVIL!

Wyvern

Smash Journeyman
Okay, I'll try to describe him in D&D terms because it's convenient.

Meta Knight is obviously Lawful, what with being obsessed with honor and discipline and all that, and being moved by the loyalty of his crew. I don't think there's much of an argument to be had there (though you'd have to assume that the murderous rage in the last 45 seconds of Revenge of Meta Knight was a little out of character for him). The problem is where he falls on the good-evil axis. If you asked him, I'm sure he'd think of himself as being Lawful-Good, since he obviously assumes that his system of morality is the right one. However, he really doesn't care about anyone else's opinion. He just assumes he knows what's right for everybody. Had he actually succeeded in conquering Dream Land in Return of Meta Knight, he would have basically ruled as a tyrant. Everyone else would probably think of him as Lawful-Evil, because he'd be doing cruel things to them, even if his intentions were "good" in his own mind.

Ultimately, it's a matter of how you think of morality on a philosophical level. If I had to call him something, I'd probably say he's an unusually opinionated Lawful-Neutral, obsessed with doing what is "right" rather than doing what is "good", though it might be more accurate to say he kind of hovers between Lawful-Neutral/Evil and Lawful-Neutral/Good depending on the situation and who you ask. He is definitely not "good" in the way that Kirby is "good" (i.e. genuine benevolence and desire to help others).

If I were to describe his personality in less ethically-charged terminology, he is not a good person in the way we use the term in everyday life (as in generous, kind, considerate, empathetic, etc.), but rather he's righteous (or self-righteous), and has very little tolerance for people who don't agree with his view of what is right.

Cervantes

Smash Rookie
I think Meta Knight will be a good guy, even though he might not seem like it in the beginning.

fluffasaurus

Smash Rookie
in the subspace emissary mode, its mk's ship that lets loose all those enemy guys. so does that mean mk's evil? or at least, they portayed him that way? cuz i always believed meta knight to be the mysterious good-or-bad character, similar to shadow from sonic series.

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

True, But i do not think that means he is evil but, you never know?

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Everyone else would probably think of him as Lawful-Evil, because he'd be doing cruel things to them, even if his intentions were "good" in his own mind.
What makes you think he'd perform acts of cruelty?

Wyvern

Smash Journeyman
In Revenge of Meta Knight, his goal was to take over Dream Land in some sort of military coup using the Halberd, in an effort to bring order and discipline to the citizenry, which he thought was unacceptably lazy and slovenly. Seeing as how the people probably liked their laid-back way of life, I can only assume that Meta Knight planned to institute this new world order by force to some extent. I'm not saying he was going to go around slaughtering people or anything to that extent, but in some manner or another, he was going to have to force a way of life onto an unwilling populace. I can only imagine that some degree of cruelty would result, through oppressive laws or whatever. I'd think he'd be willing to allow some suffering as long as it was for the "greater good".

Of course, he never tried that again after being defeated by Kirby, so it's possible that he's just given up on the idea entirely by now. After all, if the lazy lifestyle of Dream Land could nonetheless produce a warrior capable of defeating him, he might have lost his excuse for hating it so much. If that were the case, one could make the argument that he's more of a good guy now than he was back then.

WingedKnight

Smash Ace
Wyvern, good job on that summary!! That oughtta make it nice and clear for all the people who don't truely understand Meta Knight's nature (those who have no clue who he is and just think he looks cool). When people are stupid about MK I will direct them to that descrip. It seems Meta Knight just kinda gave up on the ruling idea when it didnt work out the first time, and just decided to become a helpful rival and occasional hero.

Lgndknight

Smash Ace
We can rule out, he does evil because he thinks it's good. Kiby is good, but Metaknight is also good, despite various, challenging boss fights. He is good because he usually appears before the last boss, and wants to judge your ability to fight said boss, thus preparing you. All he wants to do is help, and on the occasion he kills you, you still have to beat him in order to fight the boss, thus improving your skills. Think of it like.... well I can't think of any otehr game where that's the situation, but rest assured, i know what I'm talking about.

note: in nightmare in dreamland, in metaknightmare, the opening screen says he wants to "Practice his swordplay on the citizens of dreamland." what a nice person.

WingedKnight

Smash Ace
Actually, it simply says "practice his swordplay". "On the citizens of Dream Land" makes it sound a lot worse. ^^'
Still, I'm sure you know what your talking about!

LotusMyuushin

Smash Apprentice
I believe Return of MetaKnight is a bit out of character, maybe Meta lost his puppy and got upset with the people in Dreamland?

And I thought MetaKnight worked for Dedede in one of the games, where he guarded a piece of the star rod. (All bosses did)

WingedKnight

Smash Ace
The minions of Dedede (who is also not evil, for that matter). Citizens makes it sound like they are poor defenseless people who flee for their lives at your approach, and youc ut them down in cold-blood! Most of them attack you, even Waddle Dees walk into you if you give em a chance. I dunno, "citizens of Dream Land" makes him seem like a bad guy, sorry to be nit-picky Lgndknight!

EDreams

Smash Journeyman
Meta Knight isn't evil and never was evil, and Revenge of Meta Knight's translation really really sucks, which is why he's extremely OOC in that game.

Wyvern

Smash Journeyman
Meta Knight isn't evil and never was evil, and Revenge of Meta Knight's translation really really sucks, which is why he's extremely OOC in that game.
I've heard people say this multiple times now. Would you happen to have a more literal translation? I've never seen one other than the official English one.

And besides, I sincerely doubt that a different translation would change anything. As far as this discussion is concerned, the full extent of the relevant text in the game consists of: "The time has come. The time to show our power! Dream Land's lazy lifestyle will end. I will rule!"

I've already been ignoring the whole "lust for power" angle, so the fact that that's probably a mistranslation is irrelevant to the things I've been suggesting. The "Revenge" in the title is also probably mistranslated, but I've been ignoring that as well since it makes no sense as far as I can see (Revenge on who? For what?). And even if there was no intro text, the basic premise of the game is still "Meta Knight is trying to take over Dream Land with a huge warship for some reason." An intention to install a new world order for the perceived good of the citizenry is probably the least evil-sounding, most in-character explanation I could have thought of to begin with.

And the whole murderous rage at the end when Kirby is trying to escape also happened regardless of the textual translation, though that's the sort of thing Meta Knight probably would have been ashamed of after the fact anyway. I certainly wouldn't expect it to happen again in any later game.

So, I have trouble seeing how a retranslation could alter the fundamental points of the discussion.

EDreams

Smash Journeyman
http://kirby.wikia.com/wiki/Meta_Knight#Meta_Knight.27s_.27Revenge.27.3F
One of the many things that may have contributed to the confusion about Meta Knight's character in Revenge of Meta Knight could be a somewhat inaccurate translation. The subgame is one of the few Kirby games with any dialogue, and a few key lines were changed significantly in the English version.

In the intro of Chapter 1, Meta Knight says, ""Dream Land's lazy lifestyle will end! I will rule!" However, the translation of the original line is more like, "Dream Land, filed with corruption, shall be changed by my hand." It's not clear just what he's referring to- however, it is well known that Dream Land's current ruler King Dedede is a corrupt tyrant who does little but torment the population.

In the final chapter, before battling Kirby, Meta Knight says, ""Kirby, this is it! Prepare to die!" But originally he says, "This is the end! Kirby! Now we duel!"

There is also the issue of the title. Though it says 'revenge', it isn't clear who Meta Knight is getting revenge on! To the casual player, it would seem to be Kirby- but Kirby is not the original target. Indeed, when Kirby first boards the Halberd, Meta Knight's only thought is to knock him off the ship and continue with their plans.

It may have been better translated as 'Counterattack', referring to how the Halberd crew is basically responding to Kirby's attack on them.

There is also a long-standing rumor that Meta Knight was possessed by Nightmare during the events of the game. However, this has since been debunked.

shinzou

Smash Cadet
Well... the revenge of metaknight thing is correct... the inaccurate translation is the cause for this debate. But as well as that, to prove metaknight isn't evil, he wouldn't give a sword to kirby to make the fight fair. Also, I can't remember which game but metaknight flies past and drops an invincibility lollipop in some leels for kirby. And metaknight wouldn't be an attack for kirby's magic ability if he wasn't on kirby's side. Metaknight has only ever attacked kirby to protect him from doing something, to train him, to stop him from interfering with his plans etc.

all in all, metaknight ain't evil... it's just the apperance

WingedKnight

Smash Ace
Well...I think his role in Adventure Mode answers the question. He's a hero!
*SPOILERS*
It's pretty clear Meta is a hero. He sides with Marth and Ike as soon as he realizes they are fighting the smae evil force. He fights bravely throughout the duration of the Subspace Emissary storyline, helping his comrades and battling the minions of the Ancient Minister. Once he sees that his ship is being used for evil, he immediately rushes to take it back. After briefly teaming up with the Ice Climbers, he joins Lucario and Snake onboard the Halberd. Thinning the ranks of the Subspace Army, he battles his way to the control room. He takes the steering wheel and turns the Halberd against the Subspace Army. Hardly evil! Meta Knight, though a bit quick to fight (in the cases of Lucario, and briefly Marth), battles for righteousness and joins the ranks of the other Nintendo heroes!!
*SPOILERS*

RoxasXIII

Smash Journeyman
alright, i made this thread years ago! i'm sure we all know enough now to say that mk is not evil! :)

Top Bottom