• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight + Ike= Good Team?

Dragothel

Smash Journeyman
I just started thinking about this. From what we've heard, Meta Knight is totally badass. But it seems that hes more proficient at racking up damage than actually killing his opponent. From what Gimpy said in his "Brawl Talk Episode 1" video, Ike was chok full 'o kill attacks, but thats all he was really good at.

If this is true, who else thinks that Mk and Ike would be a good team together? :confused:

Dargarian

Smash Cadet
I do, but the thing is, from what I hear, Ike is incrediably slow and MK is kinda middle speed so the balance could be offset, like MK ripping someone to shreads then getting ganked by two players, Ike walking to the fray while MK gets K.Oed then they wipe out Ike, but that's just my opinion, and I think it would be a good team if someone is good with Ike

CHAOSDRAGON88

Smash Ace
People would say the same about ganon but there are people that can turn a disadvantage into a win. Look at gimpyfish and bowser, its the determination and skill not character(s) that determine wins.

Not A Naruto Wannabe

Smash Apprentice
Meta knight could very easily start comboing someone and then ike pwn him into oblivion...
i dont know meta knight seems to have the right moves to make the opponent go where he wants them to go, so we will have to see their co-op potential.

Fearthesmash

Smash Apprentice
The quality of the team will depend mostly on the players, are the strength of the characters without regards to it being a team match. So while they may be a good team, someone using two of the new "best" character will likely be stronger. This is unless sakurai and his team achieve some godly act of balancing the likes of which has never before been seen.

Oh and Jislike, Ikes recovery functions like Luigi's, except for 2 notable exceptions. 1.If you get in the way of the side-b you are instantly spiked and Ike regains his jump, 2. his up-b has enough HA frames to be difficult to interupt while still having substantial vertical distance. Ike's weakpoint is not his recovery but simply the ability to land moves, however team combos can somewhat solve this glaring weakness. So he may generally be one of the best team match characters.

Superninjabreadman

Smash Lord
Ike + Pit.

Pit has more defensive moves. and is about the same weight/speed as Metaknight(Maybe not weight...)

Ike + Metaknight is good too.

We'll just have to see when the game comes out.

SNBM=250 posts

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
This is basically like peach + any quick KO'er. Peach racks up damage (dsmash >.<) and _____ finishes off. Metaknight seems to be just the character for some quick damage and Ike no question can finish off.

Jisike

Smash Journeyman
Oh and Jislike, Ikes recovery functions like Luigi's, except for 2 notable exceptions. 1.If you get in the way of the side-b you are instantly spiked and Ike regains his jump, 2. his up-b has enough HA frames to be difficult to interupt while still having substantial vertical distance. Ike's weakpoint is not his recovery but simply the ability to land moves, however team combos can somewhat solve this glaring weakness. So he may generally be one of the best team match characters.
Ya, Ike's HA on his upB seems SUPER useful... too bad he can't grab ledges while doing it unless he is INCHES away >_>

*edit* and btw, Ganondorf is NOWHERE near as slow as ike, and his recovery isn't as bad either.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I've thought of this. But I also thought about when Ike inevitably hits Meta Knight, too. Ha ha

HeroXL

Smash Journeyman
It's not a matter of racking up damage at all. Ike can KO at ridiculous percents (around 60% even). The problem is getting that hit in. Ike is awesome in FFA because there is so much going on everyone is fighting everyone that he can get a hit in much easier if its a 1v1. That being said it would be relatively the same with team battles. You match Ike with ANYONE to keep an opponent busy for the time it takes to get a smash in and you have a winning combination. Therefore, it would be much more advantageous to pair MK with a character that kills at higher percents to take advantage of MK's amazing ability to build up damage quickly. As for comparing Ike to Bowser and Gannon, that is ridiculous. Bowser and Gannon may be slow moving but they both have attacks that come out relatively quick and that is what makes them playable. Ike, however, is terribly laggy with all his moves.

Sasori's_Shadow

Smash Apprentice
It's hard to tell without ever having played the game, but based on what I've heard from "E for All" and Gimpyfish's character analyses I'm inclined to say yes.

From what I remember of Gimpy's impressions, Meta Knight is already very good on his own. He's fast with great recovery and can combo and rack up damage very well, although he lacks any decent killing moves. Ike, on the other hand, is almost the complete opposite. He's very slow and has horrible recovery, but almost all of his moves are killing moves. He didn't at all fair well in one-on-one matches because of this, but in free-for-alls he faired very, very well, to the point where he was almost dominant. If I were to guess I'd say that he'd also fair well in team battles, so I wouldn't at all say we have any problems individually, in fact individually the team's very strong.

Aside from it's individual strength, the power/speed pairing of the team would porbably also greatly benefit it. Each character covers the other's weakness(es). By this I mean Ike's speed (or lack thereof) and inability to combo is in turn covered by Meta Knight's speed and ability to combo. Meta Knight's lack of decent killing moves is made up for by Ike's variety of killing moves and ability to kill at low percentages.

In theory, I'd say (so far) that this is the best pairing you could have for a team battle.

billythegoat

Smash Journeyman
this is a good team ,IMO, for 2 reasons. First, Ike gets the kills easily after MK gives them the dmg. Second, Ike seems to be ground based while MK is areal based so they would be less likly to get in each others way.

Eaode

Smash Champion
MK isn't aerial based!!!!!! Mk has poor air speed and his ground attacks are better than his aerials in usability. don't make these assumptions because he has wings. read this...
well, his Fair is good combo material, and some of his other aerials too. Plus his >B Omgz but that's a ground attack too I guess.

iron blade

Smash Ace
but he isn't really air BASED, he does have a couple of usable aerials, but that doesn't make him air based.
that's what I was getting at.
i agree. although he has some good aerials, the majority of his attacks are better on the ground

I've thought of this. But I also thought about when Ike inevitably hits Meta Knight, too. Ha ha

*Remembers being Killed in an FFA AT 68% by Ike's U-smash*

>_>

Let's not try to debate this yet. ; D

MK isn't aerial based!!!!!! Mk has poor air speed and his ground attacks are better than his aerials in usability. don't make these assumptions because he has wings. read this...
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=122005

now can people stop posting these and go to the thread that was here first?
You're right on a few subjects, but the thing about his grond moves being better than his aerials is completely false. Not saying that his ground game is bad, but his aerials are amazing. Meta Knight has to make his ground game and air game a fluid routine based on the opponents percentage.

Lgndknight

Smash Ace
alright.... ok... so I guess that makes it all the better since I love using Jiggs, and mixing it up with grounds and airs. that's fantastic. it's not like the game came out yesterday.

smashbot226

Smash Master
Well... it isn't perfect.... you get in close and you'll get quick n easy KO's. However, let's say they play an Pit and Link team, they have the advantage over MK and Ike, as they don't have projectiles. Sure, MK can dodge them easily enough, but Ike...

;/

Deception

Smash Ace
However, most projectiles seem less effective now, and if that carries over to final game, Ike+Meta Knight won't have such a problem. All we can do is speculate at this point.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
While I think it could work, I find that teams with themes don't really work to well. If it is overused, it is easy to see coming, and can be crippled in a counterpick, and if it has too many weaknesses when the other is out you could lose out on a lot of potential wins, I really don't see meta knight or Ike winning a 2 on 1 against anyone competent.

That said, I think it could work as long as they don't have a set in stone plan, as there are variables in any fight that will break the stiff players, and the players that can bend will be a live to kill.

SilverKnight

Smash Cadet
Meta Knight + anything = Good team, except Meta Knight + Meta Knight which = WIN.

I think this would be a good foil.

Meta Knight slices circles around the opponents and Ike takes the KO.
This would account for Ike's lack of speed and Metaknights apparent lack of KO moves.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
jaja, also, when you combo someone its fairly vulnerable to being hit by your teammate.. is not only about killin hellish fast (metaknight fast making 60%) but als oas metaknight locks the enemy in a forward b up combo, ike places down and makes the up smash....

althought, ,with friendly fire that could get complicated XD

PyroRyuken

Smash Ace
jaja, also, when you combo someone its fairly vulnerable to being hit by your teammate.. is not only about killin hellish fast (metaknight fast making 60%) but als oas metaknight locks the enemy in a forward b up combo, ike places down and makes the up smash....

althought, ,with friendly fire that could get complicated XD
Yeah, freindly fire would put a dent into this team.

geemann2236

Smash Journeyman
Ike doesn't need the damage racking up, as he can ko at percents like 50% and lower. He just needs to get that hit in, which is easy in Free for All because there is so much going on that people aren't paying attention and get nailed by Ike.

verditude

Smash Journeyman
That's why I play with team atack off. :)
But yeah, friendly fire would hurt a lot in tournies.

Desruprot

Smash Lord
I think right now we have to wait till we play the game before we decide any teams, afterall we do not actually know how they play...

fire_wulf

Smash Journeyman
I think right now we have to wait till we play the game before we decide any teams, afterall we do not actually know how they play...
But the fun part is the speculation....

As for the Ike + Mk team... the friendly fire is a great consideration... but how about if MK does his down B and gets away before Ike's smash hits... huh.. huh... sounds cool.. would just take practice.

WingedKnight

Smash Ace
I'm HOPING they're a good team!! My bro is maining Ike and I'm maining Meta!! We've been watching videos, reading up on bios, and similar preparing our smashing strategies. We plan on crushing all our friends in tag teams! It does make perfect sense: Keep 'em busy with MK's pain-inflicting attacks and fairly fast-paced fighting style, and then crush them with a powerful kill-type move from Ike. All I know is I wouldn't want to fight the powerful swordsmen who wield Ragnell and Galaxia at the same time!!!

iron blade

Smash Ace
Only one problem: Ike has to hold his own throughout the match with his speed against the opponents'. I'm not worrying, we'll figure something out.

Top Bottom