• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight Matchup

neji32

Smash Lord
you actually got that combo part wrong, you cant Usmash after a Dthrow, the mk can just airdodge. I think the same goes for you utilt but im not sure

Anther

Smash Champion
If he airdodged you can wait a second and upsmash and punish the landing vulnerability, or regrab him...

Rofe Rofe... I'll keel you if I have to to keep my secret >=o!

indianunit

Smash Journeyman
General

What most people seem to have a problem with when fightin MK is that he uses faster moves that have a ton of priority. This means that in close range, MK will usally hit you first and has an easier time killing, even though MK has only 4 good killing moves. These are the fsmash/dsmash/ftilt/upB(shuttle loop). Any good MK will try and bait you into getting in range of these attacks. But, more to come later in this section about what to do.
ftilt is not a kill move. also you forgot glide attack and nair.

cali'c

Smash Cadet
Amoungst all my experiance against metaknight it seems as though all of the meta either neglect or poorly DI from pika down smash. All other opponents instantly fling themselves away after the first hit of down smash, but metaknight never does this. Is it possible that metaknight is incapable of **** canceling downsmash.

cali'c

Smash Cadet
this seems srange as for when I play aginst metaknights like kel and overswarm they do not DI before it quells high damage and it reaches its knock back hit. I know that it is fairly easy to tech chase opponents that DI themselves out from down smash, they land ackwardly or suspend strangely in the air and become vunerable. Is it possible that a smart metaknight might avoid this scenario and would rather reposition from off the stage.

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
yes it is, there is a variety of ways they can do it. with strong enough DI they will be thrown out pretty high and can land normally. then they can just fsmash in the direction of the chasing pikachu. i do it with pikachu frequently. it works pretty well. also you may be able to air dodge before you land if it is a low angle, and you will land on your feet.

cali'c

Smash Cadet
true, but thunder jolts can even be effective against mach tornado

cali'c

Smash Cadet
then simply situational, although if you were spaming thunderjolt you would probably be in the air whilst the tornado is gusting, shouldn't that be a decent position to thunderjolt metaknight out of his tornado.

gallax

Smash Hero
the best thing to do against the nado is to try to get under it or above it. you can qac along the bottom of the stage to defeat it.

neji32

Smash Lord
Good mks wont always let that happen stealth. They block the first listen for the second and nsdo. tjolt only clashes if its on the start up

cali'c

Smash Cadet
I prefer to stutter step the forward smash into it. Its unpredictable, always on its first occasion. I would go for always avoiding contact from it. Even when properly DI-ing metaknight is far too superior in the air. keep decent footing if you can, if you are thrust in the air, he can easily take control of the stage.

also, I find now that metaknight has low evasion when in the air. How great is the thought to place metaknight in an arial defensive position, as when; you are grounded and he is above you, airborne, and pursing him by frothing to and from the ground. rallying with arials as he attempts to reach the ground.

neji32

Smash Lord
ive seen it clash in the middle
it isnt broken. you can: fsmash it, let it hit you, SDI out the top, air dodge through and punish, or sheild and punish. all those ways work well.
Then there not a good mk cause every good mk knows the nado gains priority the more b is pressed. And gl with hitting them with and Fsmash lulz your other idea sounded good though

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
yeah i figured the first one out as it hasnt happened in a while. hitting with an fsmash isnt as hard as you think if you have good reflexes and predict it well.

K 2

Smash Lord
ok thanks. I'm trying to decide if I should go Pika or G&W against a MK. They are both 60:40. -.-

G&W has the firepower, but pikachu has the finess.

cali'c

Smash Cadet
This may sound off topic, but I have been traveling a fair quite, and I have had my tourney matches called to tellevisions with horrible base; the sound mach tornado produces on a poor base quality television with its sound at high volume creates a trembling that quells through the entire room and utters your body; not quite, but almost intimidateing.

I prefer a powerful sound when I play, and enjoy this, but I wonder if anyone else has noticed the poor base on most tourney used setups.

Babar-Thorbald

Smash Apprentice
MK has only 4 good killing moves. These are the fsmash/dsmash/ftilt/upB(shuttle loop). Any good MK will try and bait you into getting in range of these attacks. But, more to come later in this section about what to do.

LOL at ftilt being a killmove...
I think you thought of nair, which is one of MK's killmove, but personally, I've never killed anyone with ftilt...
And there is the glide attack too.
MK has 5 killmoves.

ok thanks. I'm trying to decide if I should go Pika or G&W against a MK. They are both 60:40. -.-

G&W has the firepower, but pikachu has the finess.

The 60:40 mk vs. g&w is outdated.
It's more like 50:50.

Top Bottom