• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight Officially Banned!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRA

Smash Journeyman
you post that like communism is evil./

It's what happens when you have limited knowledge of a subject.
communism isn't necessarily evil, just misguided. It could never work. It doesn't provide the right incentives. have you ever heard of the free-rider principle?

My view on this is that the TO should decide on the ruleset. This is effectively the case, but the existence of things like Unity and MBR discourage creative rulesets and (even justifiably) going against the norm.
Agreed

hunger!

Smash Champion
Paul Ford
I like how we have this discussion every ****ing time a Smash article comes up. Do you people have Alzheimer's or something?

I also like all this talk about the Smash scene dying. If that's true, Smash must have Magic Johnson's version of aids.

This made me laugh.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
My view on this is that the TO should decide on the ruleset. This is effectively the case, but the existence of things like Unity and MBR discourage creative rulesets and it discourages even justifiably going against the norm.
But the TO does decide the Ruleset in this case... You have a point about a collection of TO's having a unified Ruleset discouraging the creation of creative ones, but people do that already.

Laws are put in place to discourage me from speeding or jaywalking but man, I still do it. My friends discouraged me from watching a show they hate and I watch it anyway.

I don't think people give enough credit to people already making their own decisions.

:phone:

MechaWave

Smash Champion
communism isn't necessarily evil, just misguided. It could never work. It doesn't provide the right incentives. have you ever heard of the free-rider principle
Oh so you reply to ME for that response.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
My view on this is that the TO should decide on the ruleset. This is effectively the case, but the existence of things like Unity and MBR discourage creative rulesets and (even justifiably) going against the norm.
True and the URC, all of them being TOs, decided to ban MK. Juu was right too, if you don't like the URC you don't have to follow them, people were holding MK banned tournies before he was even banned officially. So basically you're free to do whatever, but the more prominent TOs, the URC, are going to be going by the MK ban decision.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
I'm starting to think that running your own tournaments with things outside of the norm is strictly a Midwest or Canadian thing, from the tone of a lot of these posts.

TRA

Smash Journeyman
Slowly getting off-topic...
Truth.

So, slightly more back on topic:

Why does everything need to be equal?

Recognizing that MK is a superior character.... What's wrong with that? I like the challenge of trying to do well while not picking him.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
Not everything is equal. Everyone knows MK is a superior character. Everyone also knows that while less so, Falco, Diddy, Marth, Wario and Snake are also superior characters and people try and do well against these superior characters as well.

Above all, you can still compete against MK for as long as you want. Now people who want MK can play TO instead of armchair TO and organize what they believe is right instead of the opposite being true. Though this has always been the case either way.

I implor (but who the **** am I to ask this?) people who don't agree with the percieved majority (or whatever you think the URC is) to go out and find a venue, talk to likeminded players and organize a scene to fit what they believe. A lot of people will not do this.

But hey, even haze said it best. Anyone can go get a couple of Wii's and host a tournament and be a TO.

TRA

Smash Journeyman
Not everything is equal. Everyone knows MK is a superior character. Everyone also knows that while less so, Falco, Diddy, Marth, Wario and Snake are also superior characters and people try and do well against these superior characters as well.

Above all, you can still compete against MK for as long as you want. Now people who want MK can play TO instead of armchair TO and organize what they believe is right instead of the opposite being true.

well said.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
This isn't to say anything about the actual decision made. Rather, I'm a little worried by what factors into making the decision.
This

Same here, great work Mike.

:059:
me to XD

Why did you make this video? I dont get it. 99% of it is WRONG.
Is it LOL

The URC and the BBR view mk the same way(read the BBR posts in the URC group).
How is the general community supposed to view that?
Not everyone posted or even allowed their posts to be even shown in the URC.

Next, you have the obvious centralization of mk.....in every way. Whether its 1st place wins, results domination and most money won.....ect. We had to ban stages cause of mk, make rules JUST to keep him legal(and he STILL dominates). The point is, this game/scene/community FOCUSES on mk and this is unhealthy for all 3 and stops/slows growth. Banning mk undoes EVERYTHING i mentioned above and PROMOTES growth.
If you honestly think overcentralization, dominating character, scrub tactics, planking, scrub attitudes, ****ty community attitude and players focusing on bull**** will change after MK is banned you're ********.

Also, not anybody can get into the URC
Ironic, because you're there
And iirc you where kicked out the BBR or something like that

(unlike the bbr where EVERYBODY gets let in at some point lol alex strife has been in and out like 3-4 times LOLOLOLOL)
It's not everybody... Mind you a lot of people get in I don't agree with. And some dont that I do. But that's how it works. Taking personal strikes at alex strife, someone Obviously qualified to be in there, and has multiple problems in life outside of smash is disgusting.

and i dont know why u twists the requirements of getting into the URC. Had this been the case we would have many many many more members in the URC.
It was definitely like, host two unity tournaments and we like you XD

Last, why would you ask people if they knew members of the URC? That has nothing to do with anything. Come on Mike, your better than this.
It's to show that you're clearly not figure heads, or good representatives in the community at this point

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
But people have choices... Choices not to run URC tournaments, choices to run URC tourneys with MK allowed.

I don't understand why you had this knee-jerk reaction without reading everything.

It's either you run the current Unity Rules as your tournament's ruleset or your tourney gets limited sponsorship by the higher echelons (a.k.a. lack of a sticky). The URC rules that have Metaknight banned are considered the default, de facto ruleset that's "officially" sanctioned here on the boards.

It may not seem like a big deal to you, but when you can't even get a small lift like that because you don't follow those rules to the letter, that kinda makes the concept of a "choice" pointless. If you want your tourney to be the one that's promoted here on the site, you have to follow THOSE rules.

It also promotes divisiveness. Despite the lofty number of "seventy-five percent," you're still alienating (and by extension, ostracizing) about a quarter of the community (if we were to follow the figure that was supposedly collected by the URC). That's quite a sizable chunk there.

Smooth Criminal

*Cam*

Smash Lord
It's either you run the current Unity Rules as your tournament's ruleset or your tourney gets limited sponsorship by the higher echelons (a.k.a. lack of a sticky). The URC rules that have Metaknight banned are considered the default, de facto ruleset that's "officially" sanctioned here on the boards.

It may not seem like a big deal to you, but when you can't even get a small lift like that because you don't follow those rules to the letter, that kinda makes the concept of a "choice" pointless. If you want your tourney to be the one that's promoted here on the site, you have to follow THOSE rules.

It also promotes divisiveness. Despite the lofty number of "seventy-five percent," you're still alienating (and by extension, ostracizing) about a quarter of the community (if we were to follow the figure that was supposedly collected by the URC). That's quite a sizable chunk there.

Smooth Criminal
But what happens if 75% of the community thinks their opinions don't matter?

DarkLouis331

Smash Lord
Yo Brawl, Ima let you finish, but Marvel vs Capcom 2 is the most unbalanced fighting game in history.

Seriously, there were only 3 real characters in that game, along with 9000 others and you didn't see them banned.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Everything I just read just made me legit lol.

Also, that video was entertaining. NOW, granted I disagree with him completely but he brings up points. At the same time, a great deal of your information is completely wrong. Wish you would have actually posted like more than 4 times so we could discuss your viewpoint instead if doing this. lol Oh well.

NinjaFoxX

Banned via Warnings
Yo Brawl, Ima let you finish, but Marvel vs Capcom 2 is the most unbalanced fighting game in history.

Seriously, there were only 3 real characters in that game, along with 9000 others and you didn't see them banned.
i like 3 or so characters dominating than just one.

also. its the same 5 characters, not 3.

also also, i think 75% > 25%. just saying

Scufo

Smash Apprentice
hahaha I love this. Brawl is dying, and what's left of the community is tearing itself apart from the inside.

There were people saying Brawl is garbage from the very beginning, amongst all the hype, and history has ****ing vindicated us.

Metaknight was the only character who could remotely be played in an aggressive way in the camp-fest that is Brawl, and now he is banned. Good **** guys.

SaltyKracka

Smash Lord

Yes, but did you see how fast it died once MvC3 came out?

Flayl

Smash Hero

Magneto, Storm, Sentinel, Cable, Cyclops, Psylocke, Captain Commando. The first 3 are in the highest tier but that doesn't mean the other characters were unusable.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~

Smooth Criminal
Understandable, SC. I would like to say to that though that there's already a sense of divisiveness that separates both TOs and their organized tournaments and that's permeated long before the URC was even created or "established" as the go-to for tournaments.

I guess I can only speak for the Midwest, but our scene honestly doesn't take much notice between the URC and not-URC monikers. We're going to travel to places that logistically make sense (or are possible) and are run by people we know/respect. One of the most prolific TOs in the area of the MW:E has never run a tournament that was URC and it's never affected attendance.

I (kinda) agree that we don't want to exclude people but it kind happens either way you split it. What I don't agree with is that the choice to do something unpopular or that doesn't give you benefits is a pointless choice. It's a choice that you don't get a reward for. That's not always a bad thing and for something that you earlier admit is a small lift I don't think it's that hard of a choice to make.

Site-sponsored promotion is not the end-all-be all for how tournaments get huge. School is in Session which is two hours away and run by a still green TO (Today) is the clear indication of this. Word of mouth and organizing of people was what made that series blow up. APEX is another such example which is much bigger than any other series short of MLG.

Doc King

Smash Lord
hahaha I love this. Brawl is dying, and what's left of the community is tearing itself apart from the inside.

There were people saying Brawl is garbage from the very beginning, amongst all the hype, and history has ****ing vindicated us.

Metaknight was the only character who could remotely be played in an aggressive way in the camp-fest that is Brawl, and now he is banned. Good **** guys.
That's not true. Diddy Kong, Falco, Pikachu, Olimar, King Dedede, Lucario, and Zero Suit can play pretty aggressively in Brawl.

I think that banning mk was a good idea because it gives us a more diverse metagame than just a over centralizing mk metagame.

xzx

Smash Lord
Great, finally he got banned! Now the REAL development for Brawl will begin!

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
Whether MK is broken or not, a lot of people would just rather play the game without him.

A sad truth.

TRA

Smash Journeyman
Everything I just read just made me legit lol.

Also, that video was entertaining. NOW, granted I disagree with him completely but he brings up points. At the same time, a great deal of your information is completely wrong. Wish you would have actually posted like more than 4 times so we could discuss your viewpoint instead if doing this. lol Oh well.
Lol, sorry. I have the "Republic vs. Democracy" debate three times a week in class, and decided against having it online as well.

To be honest, I'm not good enough at the game to care too much. I just wanted to bring up a few different points. I mostly disagree on principle.

Not having MK will definitely make my Dedede secondary more viable, though :-)

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
btw, still going through every post in this thread

7 people coming back

2 people quitting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom