• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight Officially Banned!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
@ Ripple - Basically what I said like 6 pages ago.

''Ripple, give me all of the factual reasons why MK should be banned based off of your perspective and research.

Then I will try to show you that neither side is as ''factual'' as you may think.

You guys only have ''points''. Not facts. Most points being extremely bias, and/or lacking substance.''
he breaks the entire system they we have developed around the game for checks and balances. his inability to be CPed is what makes him "broken".

unless we change the system to accommodate him (which we chose not to) he should be banned.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Ok I guess I phrased it incorrectly, because the latter is what I wanted to explain. I didn't expect people to take my word "untouchable" literally. I guess I got a taste of my own medicine. It's also not my definition. It's the definition of the fighting game community and it can apply to any genre.
then use something else and explain it again.

NinjaFoxX

Banned via Warnings
its not BS, in the right hands MK is nigh invulnerable.

we gave you plenty of reason, youre just denying it like the scrub you are.

i dont think ppl who call MK to be banned scrubby either, just cuz he is that stupid.

Alien Vision

Smash Ace
he breaks the entire system they we have developed around the game for checks and balances. his inability to be CPed is what makes him "broken".

unless we change the system to accommodate him (which we chose not to) he should be banned.
Yes, but MK isn't invincible.

That is just a point as to why he should be banned, but doesn't neccessarily constitute a thorough reason to make the ultimate surgical removal. He doesn't break the entire system, that is your bias and over exaggerating talking. He just has incredible strengths, and priority along with tools in his disposal that can thwart the other character's attributes, depending on the character.

His inability to be CP'd is because he has no weaknesses. People can still make MK sweat, which means MK still is at a level where humans can still augment a strategy to outplay a professional MK player. Just because he has everything a character can want doesn't mean he is a God.

Besides, if one of the major reasons why MK is wanting to be banned is because that he wins most of the money. (Don't quote me on this) Can you alter the tournament's rules so that the MK mains only can win a certain amount of money?

Ask yourself, Ripple. What you've just said. Look at at what you've said, and think about what others would think when they read what you've have written to defend your purpose of banning a character from a game. Do you really believe what you have said is solid, factual in every way, aswell as viable enough to ban a character from a game?

Shwaffles

Smash Cadet
its not BS, in the right hands MK is nigh invulnerable.

we gave you plenty of reason, youre just denying it like the scrub you are.

i dont think ppl who call MK to be banned scrubby either, just cuz he stupid.
Great, that's better than saying he's boring and by removing him encourages character variety. Nobody until Ripple gave an example as to what is the highest level. So get off my ****. Do you think this warrants a ban?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhnHF2zh9lc

That is just a point as to why he should be banned, but doesn't neccessarily constitute a thorough reason to make the ultimate surgical removal. He doesn't break the entire system, that is your bias and over exaggerating talking. He just has incredible strengths, and priority along with tools in his disposal that can thwart the other character's attributes, depending on the character.

His inability to be CP'd is because he has no weaknesses. People can still make MK sweat, which means MK still is at a level where humans can still augment a strategy to outplay a professional MK player. Just because he has everything a character can want doesn't mean he is a God.

Besides, if one of the main reasons why M

If one of the major reasons why MK is wanting to be banned is because that he wins most of the money. (Don't quote me on this) Can you alter the tournament's rules so that the MK mains only can win a certain amount of money?

Ask yourself, Ripple. What you've just said. Look at at what you've said, and think about what others would think when they read what you've have written to defend your purpose of banning a character from a game. Do you really believe what you have said is solid, factual in every way, aswell as viable enough to ban a character from a game?
Jesus Christ, thank you.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
That makes sense. Pikachu is pretty destructive for a tiny rat when in the right hands. Can't argue with that.

BUT, wouldn't he be destroyed by other characters that can handle him?

So Falco would be able to hold his own, and maybe the Pikachus would be wiped?

Thus, solving Falco's problem. Lol.
this is why banning mk is such a great idea, because we really dont know the answer to this situation.
Can you alter the tournament's rules so that the MK mains only can win a certain amount of money?
O_O

Are you kidding? For real? You would rather do that than ban a character? wtf is wrong with you?

Alien Vision

Smash Ace
O_O

Are you kidding? For real? You would rather do that than ban a character? wtf is wrong with you?
I am, in no way, knowledgable of what goes on in tournaments. This is why I said specifically to not quote me.

I was merely throwing out that idea. I already knew my ignorance would result in a response like yours though.

It was worth a shot. Just like this ban, now that the decision has been made.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I assumed the dont quote me comment was in reference to the, 'I think mk wins this much money' comment and the 'lets take away money from people who win tourneys', part, was seperate from that.

Alien Vision

Smash Ace
I assumed the dont quote me comment was in reference to the, 'I think mk wins this much money' comment and the 'lets take away money from people who win tourneys', part, was seperate from that.
I worded it wrong.

Also, the ban is only good now that the decision had been made.

The decision should have never been made in the first place. It lacks a logical explanation as to why MK should be banned. It's only a watered down, bias infested decision made out of holes and empty reasoning. I see no substance in the currently listed why's for MK's ban.

Not one.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····

I never said he was invincible..

I don't know how you can say he doesn't break the system. I don't care what the system even IS. we put in place for a reason and that reason is to gain the advantage after a loss. MK prevents this on all levels ( and this is not an exaggeration ). he strengths allow him to do that, I'm not even making the claim he's too good.

that doesn't matter, the ENTIRE point of the CP system is so that you have an advantage over your opponent after a loss. every other character follows the system.

and again I never claimed him to be god.

Besides, if one of the major reasons why MK is wanting to be banned is because that he wins most of the money. (Don't quote me on this) Can you alter the tournament's rules so that the MK mains only can win a certain amount of money?
I'm not sure what you want here but I'll take a stab.

no. not unless that rule is "all money won by a MK player is cut in half " or something like that.

it's solid AND FACTUAL, you can't deny he breaks the system.

and IMO it can be used as justification for a ban regardless of anything else he does

Shwaffles

Smash Cadet
I worded it wrong.

Also, the ban is only good now that the decision had been made.

The decision should have never been made in the first place. It lacks a logical explanation as to why MK should be banned. It's only a watered down, bias infested decision made out of holes and empty reasoning. I see no substance in the currently listed why's for MK's ban.

Not one.
Good lord, somebody finally understands me. The reasons to warrant a ban needs to be without "shadow of a doubt". Not just popular opinion or anything wishy-washy like that.

Alien Vision

Smash Ace

I don't know how you can say he doesn't break the system. I don't care what the system even IS. we put in place for a reason and that reason is to gain the advantage after a loss. MK prevents this on all levels ( and this is not an exaggeration ). he strengths allow him to do that, I'm not even making the claim he's too good.

that doesn't matter, the ENTIRE point of the CP system is so that you have an advantage over your opponent after a loss. every other character follows the system.

I'm not sure what you want here but I'll take a stab.

no. not unless that rule is "all money won by a MK player is cut in half " or something like that.

and IMO it can be used as justification for a ban regardless of anything else he does
He is not invincible. He is not GOD.

Yet he breaks the system?

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
The fact that we had to make a ****load of rules to PRESERVE his legality should be a ****ing alarm to some of you. But no, instead you choose to ignore the elephant in the room and only acknowledge that he needs these limitations to be viable.

Why should a community have to limit the actions of one supposedly "not broken" character to make him "fair" for a competitive scene?

Do you know what it's like to lose a match because your opponent decided to Perfect Nado camp and plank you for 8 minutes? I don't think so. I've had it happen to me a number of times.

Or to have someone CP MK against you on a stage that makes the MU go from borderline unwinnable to "lol" because they didn't know the MU to an already even MU? I've had it happen to me and I'm sure several people have had it happen to them.

I literally cannot CP someone to Brinstar or RC because :metaknight: is waiting to appear on the screen. I can't CP spacies to RC because of The Mask. I can't go to Brinstar with Luigi because of :metaknight:. There are people who can't even practice certain MUs on those stages because :metaknight: is always a factor. Players have to give up favorable CPs for something more conservative because X player could have a :metaknight: sitting in the reserve.

But y'know, he doesn't break the CP system. He just doesn't have bad stages.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I don't understand why people are comparing brawl to other games. So other communities acted differently, so what? What makes them right?

If Brawl came out well before those games and banned MK, then by that logic those communities would follow brawl's actions.

Oblivion

Smash Journeyman
I don't understand why people are comparing brawl to other games. So other communities acted differently, so what? What makes them right?

If Brawl came out well before those games and banned MK, then by that logic those communities would follow brawl's actions.
Yes + 10
Also, Brawl is sooooo different then other fighters anyways.

Shwaffles

Smash Cadet
The words I put in bold are your problem, you are expressing a little bit of doubt. He only breaks one part of the system, but not everything. I already stated with my MvC2 example. The 4 gods of MvC2 literally destory 50% of the cast and I'm being extremely generous about this percentage. I can say that it's probably closer to 75%. When I mean destroy, I mean that it's literally IMPOSSIBLE for these characters to beat the gods at the highest levels.
He is not invincible. He is not GOD.

Yet he breaks the system?
It's possible for him to break part of the system and not be a god. He is not invincible and therefore does not warrant a ban.

Yes + 10
Also, Brawl is sooooo different then other fighters anyways.
Yeah, Brawl is different when you put on items and crazy stages like the creator intended it to be. However, that's another can of worms that I don't wish to discuss here.

Alien Vision

Smash Ace
The fact that we had to make a ****load of rules to PRESERVE his legality should be a ****ing alarm to some of you. But no, instead you choose to ignore the elephant in the room and only acknowledge that he needs these limitations to be viable.

Why should a community have to limit the actions of one supposedly "not broken" character to make him "fair" for a competitive scene?

Do you know what it's like to lose a match because your opponent decided to Perfect Nado camp and plank you for 8 minutes? I don't think so. I've had it happen to me a number of times.

Or to have someone CP MK against you on a stage that makes the MU go from borderline unwinnable to "lol" because they didn't know the MU to an already even MU? I've had it happen to me and I'm sure several people have had it happen to them.

I literally cannot CP someone to Brinstar or RC because :metaknight: is waiting to appear on the screen. I can't CP spacies to RC because of The Mask. I can't go to Brinstar with Luigi because of :metaknight:. There are people who can't even practice certain MUs on those stages because :metaknight: is always a factor. Players have to give up favorable CPs for something more conservative because X player could have a :metaknight: sitting in the reserve.

But y'know, he doesn't break the CP system. He just doesn't have bad stages.
Let me get this straight. You only support the ban because of your personal experiences with MK?

MK is not invincible.

MK is not God.

MK is MK, and is going to be a tough fight. MK can be defeated. Nobody has given a solid point as to why he should be banned. It's all bias, whining, exaggerating, overcentralising, and just being completely, and utterly ludicrous.

The maturity of some of you can be very dim.

El Duderino

Smash Ace
And yet you're still pushing something. I hope you're not suggesting what you're doing is any better as is. If you're not, fair enough.
I'm having a discussion with you weighing in the pros and cons of a patch. Of course we both are pushing our opinions, that is how discussions work.

And the best in term growth is to improve the game without cheating, simply put. Tell me, would you cheat in a professional football game because you don't like the rules that were set up?
This is really the core of your argument here. If you view modding a game as fundamentally wrong, it is easy to write off all the benefits and disregard any potential long term positive impact. I'm not saying it doesn't come at a cost, just that if this is what you believe, you are not ready to have an open debate about it. It's like watching the captain and crew go down with the sinking ship based on principle when there are lifeboats on deck.

Let's also keep in mind that the fear of MK has caused people to quit as well. So it's not like it's him being banned that only possibly causes fear. People left because he was the most dominant winner. People are coming back because he was banned. You can't win over everyone, and the majority agree with the ban. So we can also note that the majority of the community wants the ban. Which means we're catering to the majority of the playerbase. Is that wrong to do now?
Meta Knight is always going to be responsible for people leaving one way or another if there is no push to fix him. That fix also has potential to scare people away, I'm not denying that. That said the decision should always be first and foremost about keeping fun in there. Character bans are no fun, of course neither is having an overpowered character. Guess that's why Balenced Brawl, in more receptive community, could keep the players happier and that disc spinning longer. I really doubt Brawl is going to be able to stick around like Melee has when SSB4 hits if it can't kick these problems. The real twist is by that time, Mod interest will play a large part in keeping Brawl on life support.

Shwaffles

Smash Cadet
Let me get this straight. You only support the ban because of your personal experiences with MK?

MK is not invincible.

MK is not God.

MK is MK, and is going to be a tough fight. MK can be defeated. Nobody has given a solid point as to why he should be banned. It's all bias, whining, exaggerating, overcentralising, and just being completely, and utterly ludicrous.

The maturity of some of you can be very dim.
Hit the nail right on it's head. +1

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
The words I put in bold are your problem, you are expressing a little bit of doubt. He only breaks one part of the system, but not everything. I already stated with my MvC2 example. The 4 gods of MvC2 literally destory 50% of the cast and I'm being extremely generous about this percentage. I can say that it's probably closer to 90%. They are still not good enough to warrant a ban.
what other part of the system could he break? if he couldn't be selected normally we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

and how the hell am I being doubtful ? thoroughly explain this to me

stop comparing us to other games too. it's stupid. MvC is NOTHING like smash

He is not invincible and therefore does not warrant a ban.
I already told you why this is wrong.

Alien Vision

Smash Ace
as you can see, that is the case
Actually.. It just means you have no cajones to face MK.

If he isn't invincible.

If he isn't God.

We must be doing something wrong if he is STILL vulnerable. If he is still able to be defeated.

It's not MK that's breaking the system. It's our lack of balls to confront this behemoth of a character, and willpower to put our all into putting MK in his place.

Unless, I am not getting something still. Please, tell me why you think he should be banned just because people don't have the manhood to stand up to him?

That is what it seems to be. Why else would you want to ban a character that isn't godly, and undefeatable?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'm having a discussion with you weighing in the pros and cons of a patch. Of course we both are pushing our opinions, that is how discussions work.
You misunderstand. I'm not talking about our opinions, you're pushing cheating here. Do you like to cheat in competitive games? Because not everybody does. Some believe the key to winning is fully through hard work. "Fixing" a game is cheating to win. If the original developers aren't making changes, then yes, you're cheating. TO's are in a similar light. They make rules to balance the gameplay, but they don't take anything close to illegal. The fact that soft-modding a system is actually "questionable" is legality means that it can be seen as cheating too.

This is really the core of your argument here. If you view modding a game as fundamentally wrong, it is easy to write off all the benefits and disregard any potential long term positive impact. I'm not saying it doesn't come at a cost, just that if this is what you believe, you are not ready to have an open debate about it. It's like watching the captain and crew go down with the sinking ship based on principle when there are lifeboats on deck.
You still don't get it. You presume that I abhore cheating in video games. I only abhore it when playing in competition. As well as online. If you want to play with a small group of friends with cheats, that's fine. But when money is on the line, you should be playing on the up and up. If you can't win without cheating, then there's a huge problem. You're telling us to cheat, basically.

Meta Knight is always going to be responsible for people leaving one way or another if there is no push to fix him. The decision should always be first and foremost about keeping the fun in there. Character bans are no fun, of course neither is having an overpowered character. Guess that's why Balenced Brawl, in more receptive community, could keep the players happier and that disc spinning longer. I really doubt Brawl is going to be able to stick around like Melee has when SSB4 hits if it can't kick these problems. The real twist is by that time, Mod interest will play a large part in keeping Brawl on life support.
Mod interest is great for fun, but it has nothing to do with playing for money. I do admit that yes, modding will help extend the fun life. But this has nothing to do with tournaments. Also, fun is quite subjective here too. We tried fixing him by putting limits on what he can do. Stop saying we haven't. We already did. We've banned stages for him alone. We've made rules just so he couldn't be as strong as he already is. We already nerfed him without resorting to actual cheats, and he's STILL winning. Let's note that he won a full year of nationals. That's right, a full year. If he wasn't broken, he couldn't have done that, honestly.

But let's not go into "is he broken or not" anymore. I've already explained why he actually got what was coming into him.

Now tell me this: Why do you think cheating is the answer?

AllyKnight

Banned via Administration
It's metaknight mains' fault for not hosting tournaments, no wonder the URC is only non mk users.

Suck it up MK got banned on URC RULESET tournaments, host your own **** if you want MK legal. All this MK crap on FB,AIB,Smashboards,aim getting my *** sicko. So pointless, can't believe how many people spend time arguing lol.

I'm neutral on this.

Pathetiqu3

Smash Apprentice

If he isn't invincible.

If he isn't God.

We must be doing something wrong if he is STILL vulnerable. If he is still able to be defeated.

It's not MK that's breaking the system. It's our lack of balls to confront this behemoth of a character, and willpower to put our all into putting MK in his place.

Unless, I am not getting something still. Please, tell me why you think he should be banned just because people don't have the manhood to stand up to him?

That is what it seems to be. Why else would you want to ban a character that isn't godly, and undefeatable?
What is this ****? Your opinion is ********.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····

If he isn't invincible.

If he isn't God.

now you're just becoming a troll and joining the rest of the people who just say "get better".

as such, I'm not responding to you anymore unless you have something intelligent to say.

I just proved he breaks the system yet you ignored it.

Shwaffles

Smash Cadet
what other part of the system could he break? if he couldn't be selected normally we wouldn't even be having this discussion.
stop comparing us to other games too. it's stupid. MvC is NOTHING like smash
I already told you why this is wrong.
I saying that the MvC2 gods are more broken in their game than metaknight is in brawl. As ******** as metaknight's stalling techniques are, they still aren't good enough for him to warrant a ban. They by themselves still aren't enough to warrant a ban. They are good reasons, but you need more than just these.
You guys do have your reasons for removing items and banning stages, but it seems that your just trying to turn smash into street fighter or marvel. So quit trying to dodge my comparisons just because you don't properly understand them at first. However, I don't want to derail this thread into that subject so lets not pursue this specific matter any further.

now you're just becoming a troll and joining the rest of the people who just say "get better".

as such, I'm not responding to you anymore unless you have something intelligent to say.

You proved that he broke part of the system, but you haven't proven that he is an autowin at highest levels. AV isn't a troll, he just gets it.

iRJi

Smash Champion

If he isn't invincible.

If he isn't God.

Going mighty hard aren't you? lol

He has 6 jumps
He has trensendant priority in over 80% of his moves
he has 5 recoveries
He has invincible planking
He has on average top 3 fastest movesets, while in combination some of the most ranged moves in the game.

We molded our metagame and stage list just to keep him into the game But:

he can't be counter picked to any Stage
He has no losing matchups in combination of him not being able to be counterpicked to stages suitable enough.

I mean this is just me being silly because I can't really take you seriously.

It has nothing to do with fear. Stop it. This is played out and old. It really has nothing to do with the community just not wanted to fight him because he is too hard. It has everything to do with a character who isn't broken, but better then the rest of the cast to the point where he does not belong or stand next to them in comparison.

Alien Vision

Smash Ace

I'm saying what I am saying based off the terms ''undefeatable'' and ''god''. Instead of assuming I am a troll and not even trying to form an argument; why don't you try coming up with an ''intelligent'' answer yourself?

You obviously aren't making a good point yourself. You are basically enforcing that you think everything you've said was fact--when it's obviously not--and that MK deserved that ban, and nothing you can say about ti will change my mind.

You aren't even trying.

Maybe you do that with MK aswell and don't even realise it, eh?

JPOBS

Smash Hero

They are "right" because they have more experience with tourny play and general competitive mindsets than the relatively young brawl community.

for comparison, Brawl plays with No-items almost entirely because Melee plays with a no-item ruleset. To my knowledge, there was no significant amount of testing done in brawl to determine the competitive value of item standard rules, and yet, they were banned outright because Melee banned them. Keep in mind, the main reason for the ban in melee (random exploding crates) can actually be turned off in Brawl, which means they have almost no reason to ban items other than because Melee has shown it to be better.

Likewise, there are lessons to be learned for other competitive fighting games which have encountered similar situations. Thats not to say that brawl has to follow in those footsteps, its merely a point to make that literally no other fighting game community on the planet bans a characters/tactic unless it is absolutely necessary. They may not necessarily be objectively "right" but it is impossible to know either way.

Disclaimer: I am not arguing that because brawl compared itself to melee on the items decision, t should likewise follow suit regarding the banning of MK. I'm pointing out that it is not entirely unheard of to take lessons from community older and more knowledgable than your own.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216

Pretty much. His argument is like the equivalent of Ash thinking he can beat a Rhydon with his Pikachu by shooting electricity at its horn, except...anime logic certainly doesn't apply here. In the real world, Rhydon would stomp Pikachu into a bloody mess and Ash would cry himself into deep depression.

Those of you who preach the "get better" speech regarding MK, need to join reality with the rest of us.

:phone:

IhaveSonar

Smash Journeyman
The whole "get better" argument is stale. We've had three years to do it. Hasn't happened. For a reason.

Alien Vision

Smash Ace
Going mighty hard aren't you? lol

He has 6 jumps
He has trensendant priority in over 80% of his moves
he has 5 recoveries
He has invincible planking
He has on average top 3 fastest movesets, while in combination some of the most ranged moves in the game.

We molded our metagame and stage list just to keep him into the game But:

he can't be counter picked to any Stage
He has no losing matchups in combination of him not being able to be counterpicked to stages suitable enough.

I mean this is just me being silly because I can't really take you seriously.

It has nothing to do with fear. Stop it. This is played out and old. It really has nothing to do with the community just not wanted to fight him because he is too hard. It has everything to do with a character who isn't broken, but better then the rest of the cast to the point where he does not belong or stand next to them in comparison.
I said what I said because of the two terms I used. So what else would it be? MK isn't god. MK isn't undefeatable..

So what would you most likely say when somebody doesn't want to face something that is perfectly tolerable?

I already said MK has all the advantages he can have. He is still not undefeatable, nor is he God.

So what does this imply? That people aren't approaching this the right way. See how I came to that conclusion?

This is the part where you stop assuming I am a troll and work with me instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom