• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight Q&A Thread

PowaStar

Smash Apprentice
Ok what should I do against Ness? Im confused on what to do against him :confused: I did notice some things though:

His F-air seems to have more range than MetaKnight's Fair it can also out-prioritize the Mach Tornado too.

Everytime I get Ness off the stage I tend to get spiked by his D-air there was one time I thought one of my aerials could clash or out-prioritize it but it seems that Ness' D-air > All of MetaKnight's aerials.

PK Fire camping wasn't effective at all against MetaKnight.

What throws should I use against him? I noticed that D-Throw to F-air doesn't work on him even at low percentages.

Is it even possible to gimp a Ness?

What stages should I counter pick against him?
What stages do we both do equally on?
What stages should I ban?

And what moves should I seriously be cautious for (I know the B-Throw for one :laugh:.)

Thanks for reading.

Dojo

Smash Champion
Lol Ness is easy.

The way he uses his fair is sort of like us. Sh Fair forward then pull back to space yourself. After you see him pull back, run up and grab. You can catch him before he gets up again. Also just dair camping above him will work against that.

To edgeguard, just use an extra jump than you're used to, to get above him and dair. Ness's like to return with jump uair if your above him. If you space yourself correctly, you can dair him while he's using his 2nd jump and knock him back down. He's a character you can dair to his death. xD

PK Fire's should never be a problem.

D-throw works well. At 0 follow up with a dash-attack to turn-around regrab or nair. Also, Ness's have the habit to fair after you dthrow him. Just wait for his fair, predict whether he's going to move forward or backward as he's doing it, and run up and grab him.

You can typically pick any stages against him and do fine. RC will **** him.
Only stages he could typically do decent on is Brinstar (his PK fire lasts among the obstacles there, and it's harder to edgeguard) and maybe Pirate Ship, Green Greens, and Yoshi's (Pipes) if you can still find tournaments where those are legal.

At 80+ percent just generally be aware of his Bthrow, uair, and bair.

Ness isn't hard at all. Just keep practicing. You'll get it down.

Dojo

Smash Champion
I plan to. I'm in class right now bored, and we have a free day so I figured I would post around a bit.

I haven't played Sonic's tooo much. I've played Espy and 3000 a little bit though.

Fairs, Dtilts, and Tornado work pretty well. You'll have to mindgame in kill moves. It's hard to edgeguard him because he gets some invinci frames as he comes back up. Lots of Sonic's like to Upb to Dair. If you space correctly and uair it'll knock him out of it. You can also tornado him out of it.

There's not alot to it really. Just spacing and zoning him correctly. He doesn't have alot of high priority moves so it's not too hard. Anything in specific that gives you trouble about him?

Gates

Banned via Warnings
I thought every character's dair beat the Tornado? Are you sure you can safely Tornado Sonic out of a dair?

Also, did you know that Overswarm lost to a Sonic? Because he did.

Nic64

Smash Lord
He was probably hung over from drunken mountain climbing the day before and had scratched up hands, normal people wouldn't have even been playing under those conditions.

Shadow 111

Smash Lord
Sonic's dair does break the tornado if it hits the top directly, Dojo.
Malcolm has told me that being very aggressive works very well against sonic... he told me that up close sonic is no match... you shouldn't give him much space to run around... so basically just pressure him well.
also, just tornado the spin dashes, or d tilt if you feel confident that you'll time it correctly.

noodles

Smash Champion
yeah its his spin dashes. but the light blue one lets him shield out of the spin so i cant always nado

smashking420

Smash Cadet
I got a fast qestion to ask here. Why is MK seen as a broken/top tier chactater? He is just so...nooby. I dont understand why he is seen as that cause it does not take much to win with and pwn, over cheap, and I think hes just a character to start out for noobs who dont know smash? just asking tho.

PowaStar

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the Ness help Dojo can't wait to see how my next match against a Ness user goes.

Anyways I've seriously noticed that I have a HARD time with major campers I can't really get in on them I try to go aggressive but then I just eat combos, strings , follow-ups basically anything thats a good punisher I noticed that I mostly lose my matches from camping I try to be paitent but I end up getting punished for that also are there any tips at all for dealing with major campers?

Thanks for reading.

Lord Exor

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LordExor
3DS FC
0430-8460-0827
This has probably been asked before, but is it better to use tap jump on or off when playing MK? And do c-sticked dairs and uairs allow for better DI? Or should it be the same otherwise?

PowaStar

Smash Apprentice
This has probably been asked before, but is it better to use tap jump on or off when playing MK? And do c-sticked dairs and uairs allow for better DI? Or should it be the same otherwise?
I would leave tap jump on because you can't do Up+B OoS without putting down your shield first.

Also doing Up+B from ledge will make you go low for some odd reason.

Zekirra

Smash Rookie
I have 2 questions. Sorry if these have already been asked...
1. Sometimes when I do d-tilt or f-tilt (last hit), the opponent is sent into the ground and slides a good distance. Is there a certain spot you have to hit with for this effect or is the opponent DIing? This has only happened when I do it on CPUs (I haven't had the chance to try it on a human player yet), so do CPUs DI?
2. When you use up+b on an opponent hanging on the edge, where do you have to be in relation to the opponent to send them straight down instead of hitting them backwards? ...Or do they have to have a certain amount of damage? I keep trying to figure this out in training mode but I can't do it...

Edit: lol of course CPUs DI x_x sorry for asking such an obvious question hehe.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
to do the stage spike they just have to be on the ledge with no invince frames but u must be at an angle to him them right not right under then cuz that hitbox is the one that sends them back

Lord Exor

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LordExor
3DS FC
0430-8460-0827
Tap jump or not, I'm interested in knowing what the control scheme the top echelon Meta Knight players use to achieve consummate DI.

Lord Exor

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LordExor
3DS FC
0430-8460-0827
Hmm, what about the claw grip? I know what it is, but is it really preferable for Meta Knight?

Babar-Thorbald

Smash Apprentice
An alternative to the claw is to jump with the control stick...
It's harder to use than the claw ( because if you don't use an aerial attack while jumping, you need to be very precise if you don't want to jump 2 times, and it's hard to sh perfectly at the beginning);
but in the end, it makes your hand move less, and leaves your right hand in it's usual position, so, if you wished to do an aerial, and had to shield or whatever you like at the very last moment, your hands will be in their normal position.

I personally jump with either the contril stick or 'y', depending on the situation (usually, when I already am in the air, I'll jump with the control stick).

Also note that, if you are fast enough, it actually IS possible do backward SH Fair with "Y--> ctrl stich forward--> a--> ctrl stick backward
(means, without using either the claw or cstick to attack).
But it's not possible to do it while already in the air.

Lord Exor

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LordExor
3DS FC
0430-8460-0827
Using the control stick to jump would still mean you'd have to use the C-stick to ensure that all of your aerials remain uairs or dairs when trying to DI.

V

Smash Ace
What is the "claw" grip? Just curious. It might be something i already know about but i just didn't know it had a name.

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
One of my hardest match ups is against campy online Falco's when I'm using MK. Is there any grab combos, or combos in general that would destroy the Falco player? Falco seem's easier to deal with offline.

Lord Exor

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LordExor
3DS FC
0430-8460-0827
What is the "claw" grip? Just curious. It might be something i already know about but i just didn't know it had a name.
Flip over your right hand so your palm doesn't rest on the right controller handle. It's not quite as comfortable, but it allows you to place your index finger on the y button while you use your thumb to manipulate the c-stick.

V

Smash Ace
My Y button is messed up and i jump with X. Should i try to get used to jumping with Y or does it matter?

Lord Exor

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LordExor
3DS FC
0430-8460-0827
It doesn't matter. Your index finger can rest on the X button as well while using the claw grip.

xsephirot

Smash Apprentice
I need help with the pikachu matchup. I looked at the vs matchup thread and i don't see how MK has such an advantage. I don't see how you can gimp a pikachu since he can recover with his over b and then do his up b. Lemme describe the pika***:

he spams the thunderjolt which forces me into the air. I approach trying to land a ftilt or glide which he shields. And then immediately starts cstick down. Then does down b which i avoid. After i get higher damage on me im forced to grab the ledge so he camps there just where his forward smash hit box can hit me and if it misses he spams the downsmash yet again. repeat and rinse this scenario. Basically this kid just spams 4 moves: thunderjolt when far away and then downsmash forward smash on the ground and then down b if i'm above. I've tried using well timed MT but his dair has priority.

Maniclysane

Smash Lord
I need help with the pikachu matchup. I looked at the vs matchup thread and i don't see how MK has such an advantage. I don't see how you can gimp a pikachu since he can recover with his over b and then do his up b. Lemme describe the pika***:

he spams the thunderjolt which forces me into the air. I approach trying to land a ftilt or glide which he shields. And then immediately starts cstick down. Then does down b which i avoid. After i get higher damage on me im forced to grab the ledge so he camps there just where his forward smash hit box can hit me and if it misses he spams the downsmash yet again. repeat and rinse this scenario. Basically this kid just spams 4 moves: thunderjolt when far away and then downsmash forward smash on the ground and then down b if i'm above. I've tried using well timed MT but his dair has priority.
Lol, Pika isn't that hard. I'm pretty sure you can just keep hopping over the thunderjolts or your moves outprioritize them. You have like, 6 jumps so you don't have to worry too much about timing your jumps, or just powershield them.

DI the dsmashes. If he really spams it just dair him or something. Pika's fsmash is mad slow.

I think the problems you're having is you need to get better. People stop getting these problems when they get better so just keep practicing or something.

Nic64

Smash Lord
^ MK's sword attacks can't stop projectiles actually, but seriously it's slow as hell, just powershield it

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
Lol, Pika isn't that hard. I'm pretty sure you can just keep hopping over the thunderjolts or your moves outprioritize them. You have like, 6 jumps so you don't have to worry too much about timing your jumps, or just powershield them.
Thrzy's pika is hella hard. Pika can punish MK a lot better than most characters.

Palpi

Smash Hero
Uhhh maybe? With you power shield some attacks have less lag than if you normal shielded, but both still leave the attacker at a frame disadvantage.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
going to a huge tourny today and really wana make it out of pools. whats the top things to remmeber or use against a falco and kirby as mk?

Top Bottom