• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight Q&A Thread

Shadow 111

Smash Lord
Just slowly approach him with F-air, F-tilt, D-tilt to create a wall against his pikmin while forcing him to the ledge. At that point he can't pivot grab you and his options are limited. Then get him offstage and go for the gimp.

Here's a trick that I came up with a while ago and do lot against Olimar's:

When you see the chance, dash grab him near the ledge and force a ground break while he's hanging over the ledge. 99% of the time he will immediately jump after ground breaking. If you D-tilt him and immediately edgehog, you've taken a stock.

I did this at least 4 times to Fino at Kahoka Me Your Moves. You'd be surprised how often this works.

Hope I helped.
yeah, i do this same thing against snake... if i hold one off the ledge i ground release him, d tilt and if he immediately uses the cypher (which of course most won't if they see it coming, but if you catch them off guard they might... i have done it to a few) just grab and send him flying to his death, or c4 recovery, racking up damage... if he doesn't immediately cypher and falls for a bit just chase him down and gimp.

Semmick

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys.
I'm teaming with a Snake at an upcoming tournament in a week. Any suggestions on strategies/counterpicks/etc.?

pure_awesome

Smash Lord
Cancelling horizontal momentum with Upair > Jump > Glide seems like it works better than cancelling with Upair > Spam Jump. The horizontal distance it cancels is the same, but the vertical distance is significantly less, allowing you to DI more vertically without getting KOd off the top.

Has this ever been looked into?

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
Hey guys.
I'm teaming with a Snake at an upcoming tournament in a week. Any suggestions on strategies/counterpicks/etc.?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISuuR2Gr6Ow#t=0m33s

Cancelling horizontal momentum with Upair > Jump > Glide seems like it works better than cancelling with Upair > Spam Jump. The horizontal distance it cancels is the same, but the vertical distance is significantly less, allowing you to DI more vertically without getting KOd off the top.

Has this ever been looked into?
Yes. This has been known for a while.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
MK is a good choice for doubles. You'll probably get kicked around more than Falco but you'll be able to recovery better and gimping MK is nearly impossible for anyone who doesn't have a spike. I'd say it's worth it.

etecoon

Smash Hero
^ and if you're patient a spike usually doesn't happen, MK getting gimped is pretty much always the MK players fault, not quite the same as falco

It's worth it unless you have an interest in GAW or Wario I think, MK retains his greatness a lot better in teams than falco does

V

Smash Ace
What move(s) wear down shields the best?

What move(s) shield stabs the best?

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
Is there any move that MK has that beat's ZSS down+B? Her down + B is wierd, it's like she has invincibility frames on her down + B or massive priority.

Shadow 111

Smash Lord
Is there any move that MK has that beat's ZSS down+B? Her down + B is wierd, it's like she has invincibility frames on her down + B or massive priority.
she is invincible during her down b (not going to be frame specific, because i don't know exact frame data well lol) You can tell she's invincible by her glowing hwile she does it though, i believe she's invincible for as long as she's glowing.
your best option against it, if you're trying to gimp her, is to wait out the invincibility of it and nair her just before she has time to do the attack out of it, yes it seems there is time if you do it correctly.

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
she is invincible during her down b (not going to be frame specific, because i don't know exact frame data well lol) You can tell she's invincible by her glowing hwile she does it though, i believe she's invincible for as long as she's glowing.
your best option against it, if you're trying to gimp her, is to wait out the invincibility of it and nair her just before she has time to do the attack out of it, yes it seems there is time if you do it correctly.
I thought her foot sticking out while she is using down + b would out range MK's N-air!? But I guess the best thing to do is to wait out her down + b and then punish if you can. That down + B of hers really destroys MK's options. :(

Shadow 111

Smash Lord
I thought her foot sticking out while she is using down + b would out range MK's N-air!? But I guess the best thing to do is to wait out her down + b and then punish if you can. That down + B of hers really destroys MK's options. :(
it does, by far... i'm saying to be right next to her as she down bs and if you nair while the invincibility is ending... the ending frames of your nair will hit her before her attack out of the down b can come out. that's just one advanced way to edgeguard her. you'll be safest by just avoiding it altogether though. don't try to challenge it once that foot comes out for sure

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
it does, by far... i'm saying to be right next to her as she down bs and if you nair while the invincibility is ending... the ending frames of your nair will hit her before her attack out of the down b can come out. that's just one advanced way to edgeguard her. you'll be safest by just avoiding it altogether though. don't try to challenge it once that foot comes out for sure
Thanks, that helped a bit.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
So I've noticed that when Falco is cging me, after the second dthrow I can occasionally uair out of it.

Has anyone else found this to be true?

etecoon

Smash Hero
if he walks forward and times it right you can't uair, it's kind of like DDD's CG on Marth in that regard except MK can't just walk away, and it's not at all difficult for falco to keep the timing right. MK can uair out of running CG if falco messes up a little, but unlikely to get out of the walking CG...makes me wonder if MK could uair out of his reverse boost grab with any consistency though...haven't tried it...

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
yea a lota people been asking about mks u air outa falco.

falco messed up by not walking up grab fast enuf or tried to dash grab the second time

V

Smash Ace
Which character, if any, do you all think has the tools to possibly have an actual advantage over mk in the future?

V

Smash Ace
JIGGS.

She's so broken, all she has to do is press downB to win.
My friend plays a good, annoying Jiggs, but i don't think she could ever have an advantage on mk.

I was thinking more along the lines of Snake, Falco, or Wario.

But who knows if some low tier character will discover something.

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
JIGGS.

She's so broken, all she has to do is press downB to win.
My friend plays a good, annoying Jiggs, but i don't think she could ever have an advantage on mk.

I was thinking more along the lines of Snake, Falco, or Wario.

But who knows if some low tier character will discover something.
Joke ------------>
___.....:)
____.__|_
____.__|
_....___/\

V

Smash Ace
OHHHH lol i totally didn't catch that

Yeah my friend just, plays, very... annoyingly

But on a totally serious level , who could give mk a run for his money, Snake, Falco, and/or Wario?

Kamikaze*

Smash Ace
OHHHH lol i totally didn't catch that

Yeah my friend just, plays, very... annoyingly

But on a totally serious level , who could give mk a run for his money, Snake, Falco, and/or Wario?
.All three do fine against MK. Snake is the only MU that is really even though/

etecoon

Smash Hero
Snake isn't even with MK

aside from places where planking is still legal I'd say he's no worse than wario/diddy/IC's. I think all four could potentially have an advantage on MK in the future with some metagame discoveries but at the moment are slightly disadvantaged against MK and will likely remain so.

also i think captain falcon is one stupid footstool/physics exploit away from being MK's hardest counter, believe

rocklee10

Smash Journeyman
also i think captain falcon is one stupid footstool/physics exploit away from being MK's hardest counter, believe
I can only hope. :( If Falcon can take MK, their's no way he'll still be bottom tier. Only problem would be everyone and their mom would CP Falcon lol.

V

Smash Ace
Yeah i played a pretty decent IC at a tourney one time and if you don't space them well it can be rough if they land a grab. You gotta Dair camp the crap out of them.

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
How do you beat Metaknight with Metaknight??? <.<
Seriously, it feels easier to beat MK with my Lucario, other than MK. I suck at MK dittos. ;_;

rocklee10

Smash Journeyman
Something I learned getting my butt whooped in a few MK dittos, is Ftilt, use Ftilt, spam Ftilt, love Ftilt. It goes through almost every move MK has. Other than that, the match becomes a game of who attacks first looses, simply because everytime one MK attacks, the other just shields/dodges and performs the same attack. i.e. if you tornado and I shield it, I can tornado/Dsmash/Shuttle Loop you when your done.

Also, Fair collides with Nado, letting the last two hits of Fair hit MK.

For Hype, I can't even get it to work on Dedede, can you tell me how to do that? I've gone to practice mode, put Dedede at the very edge of SmashVille (The non-moving platform) and I dash grab him, but we never leave the darn stage! Is it simply because I grab to early? Or does Dedede have to face the opposite direction of me?

Top Bottom