• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight Q&A Thread

IIIIRICK

Smash Journeyman
if you on a stage such as battlefield or something with a platform always land on the platform if you are just tornadoing their shield, its better to eat an uair then a grab. If they shield the first two hits of your ftilt DONT finish and cut it off at two and continue to dair camp. Like kaffei said if you happen to grab them fthrow not dthrow and going for nana isn't always the best option, sometimes going after popo is just as good or better in some situations. This is the biggest thing i hyave noticed with MK's in my region is that they think that the dair camping is doing nothing... believe me its really good and you gotta keep at it.

theunabletable

Smash Lord
Sometimes Bthrow is REALLY good vs ICs. Situationally good, anyways.

First two hits of Ftilt on shield are still punishable by dash grab, I believe. It has quite a lot of lag. I COULD be wrong, though. You might wanna check second hit Ftilt frame data to be sure. If second hit of Ftilt is, indeed, punishable by dash grab, and you're playing a player who you know is smart, throwing in that third hit might be a good idea.

Good players will generally adapt to you always stopping after second hit, so mixing it up if you're playing a player who you know is smart by hitting with first 2 hits, then pausing, then hitting with 3rd hit, could be a good idea.

Be careful about how you space your nado. If you space it kinda low, they can pivot grab it which = stock since a lot of ICs never mess up the MK CG due to it probably being the easiest (I haven't played ICs in like 6 months, but if I play them in like one match in a friendly I still don't mess up the MK timing).

If you're trying to juggle them, be careful about their down air. It's a bad attack that you really shouldn't get hit by much, but if you're not expecting it it can **** up your spacing hard.

Uhm... scrooging works really well vs them if you kill Nana, but be aware that a desperate Popo may try a really stupid mix up like jumping off stage at you and fairing. It's stupid, so you wouldn't expect it, so there's a small chance it might hit. Just a heads up.

Uhm when they're blizzard walling, you can try and dair camp at a certain angle where you can hit them out of it. Or if you get hit by it, you can potentially SDI it near them, then punish them with like a nair or a dair.

Oh and when you're dair camping them, there's a certain angle you want to keep at. Some characters you want to dair camp right above them, but against ICs you kinda want to do it diagonally away from them, so that you're out of range of the uair if they jump at you, but your dair will hit them.

Player-4

See you in 25 years
You should not be Ftilting the ICs anyways, only do so if you're 100% sure you can hit with it, otherwise it's a bad idea. And yes, the second hit of Ftilt can still get you grabbed/punished.

theunabletable

Smash Lord
^Yeah, that. Ftilt really isn't an attack you want to use in this matchup. You kinda wanna stay aerial vs them unless your name is Ally...

Orion*

Smash Researcher
You should not be Ftilting the ICs anyways, only do so if you're 100% sure you can hit with it, otherwise it's a bad idea. And yes, the second hit of Ftilt can still get you grabbed/punished.
even if it does hit its bad. you will stop using that move the second someone sdis it, grabs you in the 20 frames(?) of lag you have and take your stock LOL. if you HAVE to use a tilt, dtilt is MUCH safer

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Just asking... Isn't uthrow pretty useful against IC? It takes you out of the trouble, lands you on the above platform and separates them. Dunno how it really goes, but it sounds good in theory.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
i usually fthrow unless theres a large platform like bf//sv and popo will have trouble hitting me and nanas at a low percent.

dash grab bffer fthrow is relatively safe if you make the read

lilseph

Smash Ace
I don't know if im missing something but i've never heard anyone complain about this.

If Ike is on the ledge and drops and does an Up B, what do i do? Do i just wait it out or go for a gimp?
i seriously don't know LOL

Player-4

See you in 25 years
I don't know if im missing something but i've never heard anyone complain about this.

If Ike is on the ledge and drops and does an Up B, what do i do? Do i just wait it out or go for a gimp?
i seriously don't know LOL
Let him do his thing until he gets back on stage, it's really hard for MK to do anything about it since it's a multi-hit move and has super armor

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
If you're hanging on the ledge and he's below you then just drop and Dair.

If he lands on the stage you can punish easy with tornado or a grab or something.

Ike loses super-armor when he grabs his sword.

Justin Wong

Smash Rookie
I heard japan beat this M2K guy.

He supposed to be the best in the world? I really don't know much about whats going on here, just trying to get some clarification. Diago and I are going to start playing this game seriously and are curious about the best players in the community

Kaffei

Smash Hero
I heard japan beat this M2K guy.

He supposed to be the best in the world? I really don't know much about whats going on here, just trying to get some clarification. Diago and I are going to start playing this game seriously and are curious about the best players in the community
Mew2King is clearly the best Meta Knight in the world. I don't really know if he's the best player in the world. I believe he is, but opinions vary.

lilseph

Smash Ace
Alright guys i just learned today about SDI... I KNOW RIGHT im pretty much on my PR for my region and i just learned SDI. ANYWAYS i just wanted to know the neat little tricks of SDI or things i can SDI out of and anything really to do with SDI.

EDIT: I GOT ANOTHER QUESTION! don't u guys love me <3 anyways i was wondering if anyone has in depth guides to CP's for MK? If not i could work on that, if you want, and if there are already guides id love a link to them.

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
lilseph as in SephTrance as in Seph?

Ya press control stick and SDI and you will live instead of die. :D

Here's a guide on CP-ing:

They ban something stupid? Go Rainbow Cruise or Brinstar!
They ban Rainbow Cruise? Go Brinstar!
They ban Brinstar? Go Rainbow Cruise!
Metaknight ditto? Take them to your favorite stage!
Snake? Ban Halberd or FD!
Olimar? Ban FD!
Feeling... sharky? Go Delfino!

Brinstar is my stage of choice.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Why are you feeding the troll >_>
I didn't know he was trolling ;_;

lol @ Orion

lilseph as in SephTrance as in Seph?

Ya press control stick and SDI and you will live instead of die. :D

Here's a guide on CP-ing:

They ban something stupid? Go Rainbow Cruise or Brinstar!
They ban Rainbow Cruise? Go Brinstar!
They ban Brinstar? Go Rainbow Cruise!
Metaknight ditto? Take them to your favorite stage!
Snake? Ban Halberd or FD!
Olimar? Ban FD!
Feeling... sharky? Go Delfino!

Brinstar is my stage of choice.
I wouldn't take GW to Brinstar or RC. Trust me it's really gay.
I would personally ban Lylat vs Olimar.. The platforms are a frikken shield for Olimar and it's so hard to approach from aabove lol. If anyone can enlighten me on how to fight Olimar on Lylat/any stage that would be great xD

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
Metaknight beats GW on both of those stages, IMO, but I can see how he has some stupid stuff on them, especially Brinstar (extended hitboxes ftl). They should be easily avoided if you just play smart/safe, though.

But I fail to see how that matchup is, in any way, homosexual. o_O

Fun fact: MK's Utilt is a great killing move once you've reached over 140%. The very tip of it is the best place to hit with. Also, amateur GW's will try to Dair you from above. Utilt beats it.

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
Less an MK question and more a general question, but how do you do a jump cancelled throw? Or a jump cancelled anything really.
YOU DON'T YOU CAN'T IT ISN'T POSSIBLE AND IT MAKES ME SAD

sigh

jump canceling in a Melee technique. They took it out in Brawl.

Basically you can run, jump with control stick or X or Y then press Z and you'll do a standing grab out of a run. It's useful because every character in Melee (besides Zelda) has a faster standing grab than running grab, leaving you less vulnerable. On the other hand, there's boosted grabs which give you MORE range but more vulnerability... those, however, are uncommon.

And you can jump cancel Fox's shine. Like, into another wavedash. Hence waveshining. Or you can shine into Usmash. Or turnaround shine into Usmash. Or fun at you opponent, shine, turnaround Usmash. Or shine into grab. Run at your opponent and shine -> grab, which will work sometimes, depending on the character and how fast you are.

BUT NONE OF THAT IS RELEVANT BECAUSE THIS IS BRAWL

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Smash G0D you are wrong lolol
There is JC throw in Brawl

I do it with tap jump. I run/walk a direction and quarter circle it so i tap jump and press C stick at the same time. it's really easy

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
Jump canceled up throw in the diddy boards would be them talking about throwing a banana up by canceling your dash with a jump, and then canceling that jump animation before you leave the ground with an up throw.

basically while running press both sticks up if you use tap jump. Make sure the left one goes up a bit sooner.

Luxor

Smash Champion
You could just jump on and off and Uair when they come close, but to PPlank or frame-perfect plank and be totally, completely untouchable, you have to drop back off the ledge (without fastfalling) immediately to get maximum invincibility frames, Uair while falling and fastfall at one particular point during the second half, then jump up and do a rising Uair and grab the ledge. If you do it right, it's frame impossible for anyone to ledgehog you or have any chance against you.
Once you practice enough you can do it in your sleep. It's fun to do on event matches lol.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Same, I loved that match. And I learned a lot too. I used to hate timeouts, but they are generally accepted now as it's part of brawl.

EDIT: Can someone link more matches with MK timing people out. I sure could use that material to learn something.

Top Bottom