• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight Q&A Thread

Kaffei

Smash Hero
I don't think you can stage control vs Falco since he has lasers that reach across the entire stage + a tool to get away super fast

idk

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
There's different places you're supposed to be when he's on the ledge or recovering, but other than that, I'd say where the pewpews aren't. Or the ledge.

Staco

Smash Champion
Your in control vs. Falco, when he´s not on the ground/close above the ground (short hop). = juggling, edgeguard :)

FEAR977

Smash Apprentice
Does anyone have any tips on the fox MU. Fox is just so fast with is boost smash and his lasers are extreemly annoying.

theunabletable

Smash Lord
You can control the stage vs Falco. You just have to be smart about it.

Approach Fox on the ground with Dtilts/Ftilts, shield when he's coming down on you and nair oos *****. SDI his dair to the sides at low percents to avoid the up tilt. Gimp his ***, too. If you think he's gonna illusion onto the stage, jab beats his illusion because his hurtbox is way in front of him, and because of his fall speed he goes down really fast, so you can follow it up with a dair. Don't fall for stupid stuff.

That's what I noticed would do well against Fox from playing against Zeton in a few friendlies, and I hear he's a pretty good non-TKD Fox.

Staco

Smash Champion
Lol, tell me how to controll stage against Falco.
He can always get away.
Only thing you could so is interrupting his Side Bs, but thats a guessing game.

theunabletable

Smash Lord
Yeah it's a guessing game. But it's a guessing game regardless of if you're back is to the ledge, or his back is to the ledge. And his back being to the ledge is a better position for you. So you still want to pressure him the same way.

Atleast imo.

earla

Smash Lord
mk v mk.

best options to deal with:

1. mk ss back fsmash spam
2. mk ftilt 1/ftit3 mixups spacing game

tips on juggling another mk?

also, in mk ditto and in general, what is SH dair/ FH dairs purpose?

what does dair beat etc.

llama

Smash Rookie
I was playing my friend last night (He was Tlink) and every time I tried to upb him he Daired me.

Is there a better way to beat dair than walk left > dsmash?

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Ok.... Then adapt. Stop using Up B when he is in the air. Wait for him to Dair, then when he lands, he'll have a **** load of landing lag. If he's in kill range, use your freshest kill move. If not, I would personally go for a grab, because grabs can lead to gimps.

ItoI6

Smash Journeyman
If in MK dittos or a Lucario matchup if they start spammin Fsmashes while you're on the ledge start planking with downb and then when they least expect it downb behind them for a good hit.

theunabletable

Smash Lord
mk v mk.

best options to deal with:

1. mk ss back fsmash spam
2. mk ftilt 1/ftit3 mixups spacing game

tips on juggling another mk?

also, in mk ditto and in general, what is SH dair/ FH dairs purpose?

what does dair beat etc.
1. Ftilt works well for that (like staying out of the range of it, then moving in and Ftilting when he finishes). Utilize stage control, too. He can't go backwards forever lol.
2. Space Ftilt better, shield it then punish with up B, etc.

Up air him lol. When he's above you, imo it works best to stay at an angle where you're between him and the center of the stage. Then just up air him. Don't go directly below him. Atleast I don't think that works as well.

Uhm... falling dair can actually work to escape juggles. If you space it well, most people don't expect it, since it's not done often, and it's actually pretty good for avoiding juggles.

Rising dair is good for when you're getting juggled, and you wanna cover the option of them SLing you. Dair is good for gimping MK, too. Like if you've grabbed the ledge, and you know what they're gonna do, drop down and dair them. It works pretty well at times.

theunabletable

Smash Lord
What was he doing, just phantasming away?

Tornado him a lot and condition him not to phantasm immediately.

Then run up and grab him and gimp him because Falco's always camp right next to the ledge.

idk it's not THAT hard. Most Falcos since they use phantasm a lot have distinct phantasm habits. Just dance outside of his jab range and battle him with tilts and stuff. And then when you hit him, deal a lot of damage in followups. Watch out for Ftilt, too, it's pretty gay. Playing it on FD is significantly tougher than playing it on any other stage, but it's not too bad. If you're a better player you'll still win even on FD.

My suggestion. Play against Falcos on FD a lot. Ask that same Falco to play friendlies with you, and offer to play against him on FD. He'll probably accept because it's MK and FD lol. You'll learn his camp game better if you play on FD, atleast in my experience. I mean make sure to get platform experience, but if it's his camp game you're having trouble with, I recommend practicing on FD.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Well never play on FD. Simple as that. BF allows for great platform **** and you never get grabbed there.

theunabletable

Smash Lord
If your problem is a campy Falco, and you're having trouble against it, don't go FD lol. Although it also depends which stage you're more comfortable on in the matchup. Don't go BF just because I'm telling you to, go BF because it gives you the best shot at winning/learning. If you personally have any doubts with going BF because you'd feel more comfortable on FD, then DON'T take this advice.

This might seem obvious, but your comfort level on a stage is much more important than how well your character is supposed to do there.

And I made an edit to my last post, adding some more information.

See if you can MM or friendly that Falco, and play it on HIS counterpick stages. Atleast for me it helps. I find personally that playing my opponent on his counterpick helps me learn more, since I can see better where specifically their character excels, and I can practice against exactly what they excel at. Which transfers over to other stages pretty well. Atleast in my experience.

Well never play on FD. Simple as that. BF allows for great platform **** and you never get grabbed there.
I wouldn't say never play on FD. Play against the opponent, not the opponent's character. And play on it for practice. It can help you learn what the opponent excels at, and learn why FD is bad for MK (it really isn't, though. His amazing ground game does well on FD, just some characters gain more from being on FD than others. Remember, it's not your character vs the opponent's character. It's you vs your opponent.)
Like, for instance, if I were to play Larry, I honestly think I'd have a better shot at doing well on FD than on BF. He's smarter than me, so he's probably gonna get the grab on BF, anyways. But on BF he has more recovery options and better ways to avoid juggles. My ability to capitilize on his already few errors is halted a bit because of FD. And he has more options from the ledge. And because he plays there a lot.

It's a basic thing, but a lot of players seem to forget that playing on a stage that exploits your opponents weaknesses instead of a stage that exploits your opponent's character's weaknesses can be the best idea.

And one little thing I've noticed from some players. Sometimes it gets to their head when they're playing on their counterpick. Like sometimes they get overconfident because they think they have a higher shot at winning, when the difference from BF to FD is pretty minimal, so it can give you a bit of an extra advantage. Hell, trash talk about it; pointing out stuff like that can get in people's heads. I mean it's not something to rely on, but it's something to remember.

Player-4

See you in 25 years
If in MK dittos or a Lucario matchup if they start spammin Fsmashes while you're on the ledge start planking with downb and then when they least expect it downb behind them for a good hit.
Or you could just use your 6 jumps to fly over them...

Staco

Smash Champion
I was playing my friend last night (He was Tlink) and every time I tried to upb him he Daired me.

Is there a better way to beat dair than walk left > dsmash?
shield the first dair hit, then jump instantly and uair him out of the dair
you can follow ups with more upairs, fair, nair or up B (depends on percentages)

you can nado from the jumps and get punished for using it
seriously, jumping above doesnt work that well all the time
espeacally in MK dittos you can see that MK is in a bad posittion, if he is directly above his enemy!

and down b works pretty good, U dont have to attack, just lag cancel it and try to get away from the edge
works in certain situations
punishing mks, which load fsmash also works suprisingly well
dont overuse it

camp him back
approach slowely from the air/ground
dont get chaingrabbed, just do save approaches at low%!
if you hit him out of his side b with nair and he lands on stage he will get extra lag and you often are able to follow up with nado, grab or sth. different!

ItoI6

Smash Journeyman
I never said downb was the only option or even the best one in that situation, I was just saying it was one of the few viable uses for the move and there's a hell of a difference between a free surprise hit and just flying over them.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
How is it a free surprise when the hitbox comes out after over 30 frames. Average human reaction is like 12 frames. If you're gonna do it, at least do it when you're low% and they're high%... It's just that it's not safe

Staco

Smash Champion
How is it a free surprise when the hitbox comes out after over 30 frames. Average human reaction is like 12 frames. If you're gonna do it, at least do it when you're low% and they're high%... It's just that it's not safe
Human reaction (to a specific action, not just a window turning from green to blue) is like 20 frames (= 1/3 of a second, some people got this even worse).
Also it beeing an underused action it makes it harder to react to.

And if the MK at the edge is charging FSmash it also works + it hits even harder. (if you get hit while charging a smash, there is more knockback)

GALE 14

Smash Journeyman
I have another question:
When my mk was offstage in the air I have made a downb to the ledge and it had been canceled, why ?

sry for bad english ^^
I'm not sure whether the sentence is correct

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Because it was supposed to do that =P

It can be used as a recovery option, since it's invincible while invisible. Use it once in a while.

GALE 14

Smash Journeyman
Waht do you guys think about team with fox or marth ???
Who of them is better for Mk and why ???

sry fo bad english

Top Bottom