• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight Q&A Thread

Tesh

Smash Hero
After 17ish frames MK is "invincible" until around when he reappears. Nothing can interact with him, but I'm not sure if there is another term for what he does there.

Uair OoS is more of a combo starter. Also note that you will have a tough timer hitting shorter characters with a Uair OoS if they are on the ground. Nair and Up B are your killer OoS moves. Uair combos at almost all percents until you are ready to kill. If someone is in range to get hit by Uair any time under 100, I'd definitely go for it and follow up.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Depends a lot on your opponent's doings, position, or if you want to stale your kill moves or not.
Also, Dair OoS

Gah777

Smash Lord
So, I've been away for quite some time (a year come April) and I heard Metaknight got banned. Is this true?

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Only in some countries. USA is one of them.
and even then not really
community is like split now

uair oos is pretty good at low %s against like snake/falco/other tallish characters. U just have to be fast with ur hands and make the uair come out as soon as you SH

Sheck

Smash Cadet
Hi guys. I'm really new to MK and I wanna play him at an upcoming school tourney. I'm trying to get a control system together for him, and my first idea was to use L to jump so I can double stick like I do with Peach, but it feels really weird and I'm having trouble adjusting my control style. Is tap jump a better idea? Is it possible to jump with X/Y and then reach to the C stick and still play competitively?

Forgive my noobishness, I really have no clue how to play him yet :/

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Hi guys. I'm really new to MK and I wanna play him at an upcoming school tourney. I'm trying to get a control system together for him, and my first idea was to use L to jump so I can double stick like I do with Peach, but it feels really weird and I'm having trouble adjusting my control style. Is tap jump a better idea? Is it possible to jump with X/Y and then reach to the C stick and still play competitively?

Forgive my noobishness, I really have no clue how to play him yet :/
Who the hell uses L to jump LMAO.
Yes, it's very possible to jump with X/Y and reach the C stick and still play competitively.. Like 99% of smashers do that. You can also claw (Index finger on X/Y, thumb on C stick/A/B)
As for tap jump it's personal preference. Mew2King (best MK in america) uses tap jump, while Otori (best MK in Japan) does not.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
I mapped L to jump...
I only use it for OoS Suttle Loop or Dair camping, but still...

Aefice

Smash Apprentice
noticed something strange i've seen japanese mk's do.

at high %'s, when being knocked diagonal + up off stage they will up air then immediately drill rush.

does that help survival?

Kaffei

Smash Hero
noticed something strange i've seen japanese mk's do.

at high %'s, when being knocked diagonal + up off stage they will up air then immediately drill rush.

does that help survival?
Yes. It's a really good momentum canceler, but it's risky because.. well, you're in free fall. lol.
Great in doubles if your teammate covers you.

Sheck

Smash Cadet
Who the hell uses L to jump LMAO.
It's actually an idea I picked up from the Peach boards. Using L lets you float cancel and immediately c-stick an aerial (mainly for her uair string on fast fallers).

I mapped L to jump...
I only use it for OoS Suttle Loop or Dair camping, but still...
Watching MK players dair camp is pretty much what made me think they were using either tap jump or L to jump. Figured with L I would be able to DI better than tap jumping. Constantly switching between X and c-stick just seems impractical to me, but the GC controller's shoulder buttons are too springy and it just feels ********.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
It's actually an idea I picked up from the Peach boards. Using L lets you float cancel and immediately c-stick an aerial (mainly for her uair string on fast fallers).
I just claw for that but whatever works
i should try that lol L for jump sounds interesting

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Is MK's dtilt safe on shield?
And if MK uses ftilt1-->dtilt on shield, what is the frame (dis)advantage between ftilt1 and dtilt?

I'm asking because I played Doom yesterday and he destroyed me on the ground. I'm not used to grounded aggro MKs (I lack MK experience)
No johns though, I probably would have lost regardless, he was clearly the better player.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Those moves have low hitlag and end quickly, so its hard to punish them if you didn't see it coming. Dtilt is like 14 frames total? and hits on frame 4 so I think you only have enough time to grab or Up B OoS (assuming you play a character where this is a viable option), but if its well spaced, I'm pretty sure you can't grab MK.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
I play ZSS so no I can't grab or upB him. I want the actual numbers of the frame (dis)advantage because I know I'd be happy with punishing with utilt/dtilt/dash attack. And they come out on frames 3, 5 and 6 iirc.

Tesh

Smash Hero
I'm 95% certain the 7+ frames it takes to drop your shield makes it impossible to have a guaranteed punish.

This is what you are looking for eh?

DTILT
frame breakdown:
1-2 startup
3-4 hitbox out
5-15 cooldown

frame summary:
Hits on frame: 3
IASA frame: 16
Cooldown: 11
Shield hitlag differential: 0
Shield stun: 1
Shield advantage: -11
Shield drop advantage: -4

Shield drop advantage is 4, which means if he buffers a shield after, I'm pretty sure you can't guarantee a hit unless he is spaced poorly enough to get hit by jab.

Of course practicality is more useful than frame data. You should be trying to get a read on what he will do next, because no one is going to dtilt and then shield vs ZSS.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
If shield drop advantage is -4, and ZSS' utilt comes out on frame 3, that means that ZSS has a guaranteed utilt OoS on MK if he dtilts on shield without spacing it properly, correct?

Hurray for a free 12%.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Good chance it won't hit him if he is crouching from the Dtilt animation. Who knows.

theunabletable

Smash Lord
MK's crouch does like nothing, but maybe haha

that'd be so cool if MK's crouch is useful for avoiding ZSS uptilts, though lol

Tesh

Smash Hero
Well I know there are a few characters that won't be hit by ZSS uptilt in general. Its probably even less likely at range, but I guess it would be the only thing you could possible hit with fast enough, cept jab.

TSM ZeRo

Banned via Administration
Q: Isent MK banned??
Meta Knight is only banned at tournaments using the Unity Ruleset (Here's the Unity Ruleset: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=301032) and certain states of the United States, like Texas, most part of New Jersey/New York, for example. He's also banned at most tournaments in Canada (However, recently a big regional called "Revival of Salt" was hosted in Toronto that featured Meta Knight legal in both the Singles and Doubles competition) Colombia, Brazil and Costa Rica. I don't know what countries of Europe have him banned.

Meta Knight is legal, as far as I know in:

• Japan
    [*]Some states of the USA (West Coast tournaments mostly).
    [*]Some countries of Europe (France, Germany and Netherlands have him legal from what I have seen -Someone, feel free to correct me here-
    [*]Chile and Argentina, two big scenes in South America have him legal 100% of the time.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Also, Mexican community is divided with MK's legality.
Most of them have him legal. Some few places (like mine) have him banned. /$0.02

etecoon

Smash Hero
I was under the impression that no one in Europe had MK banned, it's pretty much unity/certain parts of America

Still find it hilarious that our top MK's get **** on by Japan after all the pro-ban people kept harping on "but Europe and Japan don't have the MK dominance problems because we've taken MK to another level of broken that they don't have to deal with!"

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Damn you Orion I am currently placed as Finlands 2nd best so I do place. Our scene is like at least 30 players if counting all the active players and I also heard France has some MK banned activity too. You are welcome. I mad.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
So lets say I'm Wario teaming with MK:

I grab someone and Down Throw them. How should my MK partner follow up at low percents? Trying to get some ideas for good team combos. Thanks!

Player-4

See you in 25 years
There's a few things you could do, from Wario's Dthrow you could try MK's Dtilt to Wario's whatever (Uair, Fsmash, re-grab probably, Nario, Bite, many other things. MK could also GSL or Nair instead of Dtilt. Just go into training mode with your teammate if you can and try testing things out.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
I'm curious, how big is Europe's scene total?

Japan isn't that big, maybe 60 I think.
no idea

theres quite a few between holland/germany/france/spain though

@tech chase

low percents nair is best 19%, if it's super low you can just fsmash and it like auto combos for like 50% so stupid. i think this works best for short amounts of time in top level 2v2 play. if you have like, more time than that or the partner is away, charging fsmash, tilts or even regrabbing is pretty gay.

you can get some nasty footstool combos in if you and your partner are willing to do that much work... but most arent.

linkez

Smash Cadet
one thing i used to do while my partner was using wario was:
wario dthrow
mk dtilt
second hit of wario's nair
mk's up b
wario's uair/down b.

pretty flashy and fancy. if you want effectiveness, use Fsmash with mk and uair with wario.

if opponent's partner is coming close, nado could be a good idea.

these are just opinions anyway, so if you want to correct me on something, feel free to do so.

Top Bottom