• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight Q&A Thread

Tbagz

Smash Journeyman
strangely enough i was going to ask that same exact question. (even tho i really already knew the answer)

any tips on fighting zelda?

basically all the people do that i fight with zelda is u-smash combo at 0%, when i go at them with a Dair, i can either get punished for an up smash. and when it try to space with certain attacks, i just get f mashed. what moves out-prioritze zelda? and her fireball of noobishness.

thanks ofr the assistance

pixelbind

Smash Cadet
basically all the people do that i fight with zelda is u-smash combo at 0%, when i go at them with a Dair, i can either get punished for an up smash. and when it try to space with certain attacks, i just get f mashed. what moves out-prioritze zelda? and her fireball of noobishness.

try dash to shield then attack for the dins fire, dins fire shouldnt be too much of a problem since it she cant really spam it that fast

if your in the air just air dodge.... mk is a bit floatly and her upsmash sticks out for a bit

once zelda is off edge try hitting her before she uses up+b ,works really well if you do it right

gl (im basing this off my friends zelda so no idea if it work with the general zeldas)

Deoxys

Smash Lord
strangely enough i was going to ask that same exact question. (even tho i really already knew the answer)

any tips on fighting zelda?

I have a ton of experience in this matchup. Use all types of DI to escape her smashes, and then punish her. It saves lots of % and gets a lot more in.

(By priority you mean range, BTW.)

The Real Inferno

Smash Hero
Zelda has -nothing- on Meta's down tilt at -all-. It's your greatest tool in this matchup. It beats her tilts out and is too fast for her to respond to with anything outside of rolling/jumping, both of which are your advantage. Rolling should be dealt with via grabbing or dash attacking and jumping you can uair or fair her all day. On the ground it is difficult for her to approach with a SH Fair or Bair because of your height, failure to nail you will result in extreme punishment and since the move is predictable you should never be hit by it anyway, just shield and punish. He Nair and Dair are pointless if you are on the ground and are even more easily punished.

Frankly, I just recommend staying out of the air unless you are under her or gimping off stage, otherwise you could eat nasting Fairs, Bairs or Uairs which kill you at low percents. On the ground you can absolutely dominate her with tilts and zoning. Just pressure her to the edge then prepare for your gimping opportunity. Her charge on teleport leaves you enough times to Dair or even Nair stage spike. Shuttle Loop works wonders too. If you think she will teleport onto the stage get used to power shielding to Dsmash as she will probably be trying to appear on you with the explosion.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Question: Tell me what you think about me
I buy my own diamonds and I buy my own rings
Only ring your cell-y when I'm feelin lonely
When it's all over please get up and leave
Question: Tell me how you feel about this
Try to control me boy you get dismissed
Pay my own fun, oh and I pay my own bills
Always 50/50 in relationships

Deoxys

Smash Lord
Zelda has -nothing- on Meta's down tilt at -all-. It's your greatest tool in this matchup. It beats her tilts out and is too fast for her to respond to with anything outside of rolling/jumping, both of which are your advantage. Rolling should be dealt with via grabbing or dash attacking and jumping you can uair or fair her all day. On the ground it is difficult for her to approach with a SH Fair or Bair because of your height, failure to nail you will result in extreme punishment and since the move is predictable you should never be hit by it anyway, just shield and punish. He Nair and Dair are pointless if you are on the ground and are even more easily punished.

Frankly, I just recommend staying out of the air unless you are under her or gimping off stage, otherwise you could eat nasting Fairs, Bairs or Uairs which kill you at low percents. On the ground you can absolutely dominate her with tilts and zoning. Just pressure her to the edge then prepare for your gimping opportunity. Her charge on teleport leaves you enough times to Dair or even Nair stage spike. Shuttle Loop works wonders too. If you think she will teleport onto the stage get used to power shielding to Dsmash as she will probably be trying to appear on you with the explosion.
Great advice. Good Zeldas always use bair over fair, though, as I hear it is strictly superior. I'll have to try this next time I play GodAtHand.

Rh1thmz

Smash Journeyman
I was hoping for more replies from my question, but it kinda got buried under this last question. =p While Deoxys did give some helpful advice, I was wanting more opinions on this matter.

Oh, and I'll quote my question and the response that was already given so that you guys don't have to go back a page and stuff:

I usually play with tap jump off because I play as Wolf and other boost smashers sometimes, but I have been noticing it to be overly challenging to up-B out of shield sometimes. If you have good timing, uair strings without tap jump are perfectly possible, though. I guess I'll try playing MK with tap jump on again...I just don't like how I accidentally jump sometimes with it on...anyways, I should give that a try.

Anywho, here's my real question.
I'm seeing people note that MK should save his dsmash for kills in matchup x a lot more nowadays. I agree with that, and I'm starting to get to the point where I conserve my dsmashes for kills in nearly every matchup. I've been wondering...is this necessarily a good thing? Is it ever advantageous to use dsmash when your opponent isn't in kill percentages? The glide attack --> dsmash maneuver seems to be popular, but it's so predictable, and most times, it just decays your dsmash. I've been thinking about this for a while, and I was wanting your opinions on this.

Thanks in advance for the replies, by the way :)
I don't conserve Dsmash as often as most MKs. First of all, if you use Dsmash early into a stock, it's not unlikely you'll get 9 attacks in before KOing anyway, especially since forward tilt counts as 3 attacks. Secondly, MK has four good kill moves: Fsmash, Dsmash, Shuttle Loop, and Nair. Even if you completely ignored stale move negation, consider how many of these attacks will really be in the last 9 attacks. Using dsmash doesn't "just decay" it; it hits your opponent for 11% and comes out in 5 frames, which is unprecidented. Usually, when it's time to KO, at least Dsmash, SL, or Nair is fresh; you just have to know which one it is and be prepared to Fsmash if all of them are decayed. That said, I don't just ignore the fact that stale move negation exists, and I avoid using all three of his best kill moves late into my opponent's stock, unless they're a character that I'm going to be KOing with gimps anyway. The reason I am less conservative with my KO moves in certain matchups is because I'm going to be gimping for the KO anyway.

I'm sorry if I'm coming across as selfish or something by doing this, but I figured that it would be wise to collect multiple opinions on this topic since discussion of it is only increasing in matchup discussions.

If you guys do give more replies, I thank you in advance. :)

TheM

Smash Rookie
I was hoping for more replies from my question, but it kinda got buried under this last question. =p While Deoxys did give some helpful advice, I was wanting more opinions on this matter.

Oh, and I'll quote my question and the response that was already given so that you guys don't have to go back a page and stuff:

I'm sorry if I'm coming across as selfish or something by doing this, but I figured that it would be wise to collect multiple opinions on this topic since discussion of it is only increasing in matchup discussions.

If you guys do give more replies, I thank you in advance. :)
i agree with deoxys, actually.
MK has the 4 basic KO moves mentioned, so even the opponent is in KO %s you have 4 choices, at least one of which usually isn't stale. so i believe there's nothing wrong with using dsmash some, especially near the beginning of stocks.

Deoxys

Smash Lord
When you get hit, should you uair or dair? I keep hearing different things.
Uair is better, assuming you're talking about maximizing your longevity. Unless you're M2K, then you use Dair instead for EPIC MINDGAMEZ/intimidation.

uair is faster
but dair makes automatic fast fall
dunno which is better
Dair doesn't make automatic fast fall, you must just be accidentally initiating a fastfall when you Dair. Try using the C-stick if you can't get the Dair to come out consistently without fastfalling using the control stick.

Dojo

Smash Champion
A method of how you hold your controller when playing.

When using hovering dairs, I take my right thumb and index fingers in the form of a C or a "Claw," if you will. Press Y to jump with my index, then down on my C-stick with my thumb, and repeat to perform dairs. I use it for a couple of other things as well.

Jar'd

Smash Ace
Mmm k, thanks. I normally uair, but my friend told me that dair reduced momentum so I didn't know what to think.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
This is the current description I have for Mach F-Tilt in the general AT sticky:

---
- Mach F-Tilt
How to Perform: Do a D-tilt. After the sword has poked out, buffer an F-tilt by holding the joystick diagonal down-forward and pressing A.
Effect: After the D-tilt, the first two hits of the F-tilt will come out near-simultaneously instead of one after the other. Press A again during the double-strike to make it a triple strike, deploying the full F-tilt combo in less than 1/10 of a second.
Video: http://youtube.com/watch?v=Nkh6z4w3-uw
---

What I'd like to know is how many times I have to press A during this sequence.
I'd test myself, but I'm not at home for the next 8 hours or so.

Deoxys

Smash Lord
Use D-air if hit up.

Use U-air if hit to the sides.
Why?

I don't get it, are you saying you can FF sooner with Dair?

I'm pretty sure it's just 3 times. The first 2 hits of the ftilt come out by pressing it once.
WTF, that would make no sense at all! I mean, I know it's Brawl, but seriously....

A method of how you hold your controller when playing.

When using hovering dairs, I take my right thumb and index fingers in the form of a C or a "Claw," if you will. Press Y to jump with my index, then down on my C-stick with my thumb, and repeat to perform dairs. I use it for a couple of other things as well.
Oh yeah, the M2K claw... I assumed that was what you were talking about, but wasn't positive. I don't need to do that because I have Z set to jump, so, even though my X is still jump, too (Y is grab), I get the "benefits" of clawing always.

i was watching a Rx video earlier and he spams his up+b really fast like one right after another. how do you do this?
Just glide cancel the landing and you can do another SL. Unless you're talking about Halberding, which involves going through platforms, but that doesn't seem to be what you're talking about. Welcome to Smashboards!

Krayn

Smash Apprentice
I've seen people do multiple UpB's or being able to do moves out of their upB. I was wondering how they did that.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
You need to put a can on top of Metaknight as he's gliding.

Staco

Smash Champion
Mach ftilt is just 3 hits.
The first two hits after the dair come out directly without stopping. ;)

Can any1 make a picture of the "M2K Claw" ? Oo

The Real Inferno

Smash Hero
I've seen people claw alot, and really it's not for everyone. If you don't feel good doing it, it's not really going to do much for your game in the long run anyway.

Arzengel

Smash Apprentice
i really want to ask what's the best way to deal with a meta-kkngiht will using a PIT? cause i'e heard MK is a hot-shot but i really don't think that.

The Real Inferno

Smash Hero
I suggest reading the matchup threads first on that. It seems you need to familiarize yourself with the basic information first since you're new.

Dojo

Smash Champion
lolz I don't even know what I do I just play

I can't imagine thinking about anything other than the game when you're playing, it would be too weird. Stuff just happens lol
Lol I never really noticed either until somebody asked me while I was playing some friendlies. XD

napZzz

Smash Hero
where does the the shuttle loop knock people behind him? I'm curious to learn this because I'd like to recover/easy gimp at the same time.

The Real Inferno

Smash Hero
God there's so much signature violation in this thread lol.

Glide Attack it will always be. Gair is the dumbest thing I've ever heard, or at least the dumbest thing I've heard since "Pivot Walking" and whatever it is they call that gay dance Pit does.

I like the word "gair"
This is why your parents never loved you.

Top Bottom