• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight Q&A Thread

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
So...Hi guys...I'm DTL...
Well, here's my story. I have always LOVED Zelda games and anything Zelda related. In SSB, I mained Link. In SSBM I mained YL. In Brawl, I main Toon Link. The thing is, I don't know how happy I am with this... I'm getting more and more active in the tournament scene and I just perform so well when I CP Meta...Regardless I'm a dedicated and active member of the Toon Link community...It's just that...well I even find MK much more fun to play. I don't have to camp, I can switch between agro and defense during matches seamlessly, and I don't have to wait to kill good players around 200%... What I'm trying to say is...How would you guys recommend I play MK in tournaments, as well as Tink, but stay a real Toon Link main? I know this sounds extremely Scrubbish, but with Supercon coming up I really want to focus more on Meta... I'll probably just start every match with TL and switch to MK if I lose a game. Sorry for the rant...
I would say play TL through out the tournament, and counterpick MK if there is a bad match up for TL. Like, if I know I'm going to be fighting an Olimar player at the tournament, I'd rather choose MK than TL. If I fight against G&W, I rather play as TL than MK.

Kamikaze*

Smash Ace
I would say play TL through out the tournament, and counterpick MK if there is a bad match up for TL. Like, if I know I'm going to be fighting an Olimar player at the tournament, I'd rather choose MK than TL. If I fight against G&W, I rather play as TL than MK.
But doesn't MK have a better MU against gdubs?

earla

Smash Lord
what is mk's best secondaries?
so which char has the best matchups vs mk's even/ish matchups.

don't say 'a different coloured mk or watev, we're all well aware his the best secondary.

just an interesting question

Kamikaze*

Smash Ace
what is mk's best secondaries?
so which char has the best matchups vs mk's even/ish matchups.

don't say 'a different coloured mk or watev, we're all well aware his the best secondary.

just an interesting question
Snake and DDD

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
if u play a real nice mk/ diddy or like olimar u got everything down

i have a question tho for those who fight kirby a lot. he keeps baiting my attakcks then punishes with a really well space bair so i cant shield grab. he mixes it up a lot too so hell come down grab and if i try to grab fsmash to the face.

like what do i do agaisnt baiters. wait and rush in later?

Hype

Smash Lord
if u play a real nice mk/ diddy or like olimar u got everything down

i have a question tho for those who fight kirby a lot. he keeps baiting my attakcks then punishes with a really well space bair so i cant shield grab. he mixes it up a lot too so hell come down grab and if i try to grab fsmash to the face.

like what do i do agaisnt baiters. wait and rush in later?
To avoid him from baiting and punishing you have to do more mix ups. If he's shielding and punishing just grab him.

In the kirby match up in general don't Fair as much as you normally would. Your ground game is a much better option here. Walk away Ftilts are good, grounded SL will rip through Kirby's Bair, Tornado goes through Bair. Also, drill rish is your safest recovery option. Also, SDI out of his grab combos.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Does anyone have the frame info on metaknight glide attack when it doesn't get canceled by landing?

I only see the landing lag information in the frame data thread.

etecoon

Smash Hero
how long you lag after the glide attack if you go into fall special all depends on how high off the ground you were

I assume that's the same reason why dash attack has no shield data, too many variables

Tesh

Smash Hero
fall special? I mean if he initiates a glide normally without shuttle loop.

etecoon

Smash Hero
ah I thought you meant out of shuttle loop, from normal glide yeah, there's no data on it...maybe it's instant? the landing lag is just standard landing lag...still would need the duration though...

lucha5

Banned via Warnings
alright so I Been watching all the videos of the top mk players and read most of the guides But i still cant figure out how to play mk the right way, I try d-air camping but snake users just u-smash or u-tilt my butt and i try being agrresive but i get burned. and i air camp I still get pwnt. Idk maybe is it cause i dont have fast gaming hands like m2k or something. I just fail hard with him. Cause I know mk has something more then just d-smash up^b and nado <.<. So how do i play him efficiently?

Tesh

Smash Hero
All of the glide attacks have 0 landing lag don't they?
Well from what I can tell you can overpower it with multihit aerials so I just want to know how long you have from the glide attack start until MK gets control back and can do something else. Although I doubt the hitbox is out the entire time.

smasher01

Smash Ace
alright so I Been watching all the videos of the top mk players and read most of the guides But i still cant figure out how to play mk the right way, I try d-air camping but snake users just u-smash or u-tilt my butt and i try being agrresive but i get burned. and i air camp I still get pwnt. Idk maybe is it cause i dont have fast gaming hands like m2k or something. I just fail hard with him. Cause I know mk has something more then just d-smash up^b and nado <.<. So how do i play him efficiently?
For the snake matchup (camp - air camp) and wait for a opening you cant just approach a snake or you will get ***** just try to stay out of his range while dodging his stuff run up and roll back can help a lot to trick a approach.

A BIG KEY TO THIS MATCH UP IS TO NEVER BE PREDICTABLE IN APPROACHING you never want that snake to know when you are going to go in for that attack that can rack up hella damage(grab,dash attack,perfect spaced f-tilt(continue the f-tilt if the first hit connects not if it hits his shield) cuz snake can punish almost all the things you can do to him (mostly)

when you see him with no grenade and you are up close tornado him but be careful cuz he can
up-tilt you out of the tornado for the kill or just knock you out of it with it
(what i like to do is nado and act like im coming in than drop back and he will try to up-tilt
he wiffs the u-tilt than i come in for a free nado :))

practice playing a lv 1 snake on smashvil and keeping him in the air with u-airs.
In the matchup you want to keep snake in the air and mindgame his air dodge to more up-airs.

for kills save Down smash till hes at like 130. or up -b gimp him but thats really hard when you play a really good snake.

theres more to the match up just watch more vids and stuff.

o and practice tech skill on lv 1 computers you will never be good if you dont practice your
tech skill lol noob are good when they have good spacing and tech skill.

i was bord(did i spell bord right i suck at spelling lol) and wanted to help you out :)

remember practice tech skill-spacing watch vids, and everything will fall into place.

i heard DSF say this " practice spacing and everything will fall into place"

GL omg see i am really bord i cant stop typing did i spell typing right? lol

Luxor

Smash Champion
Mainly for confirmation- when gliding, you want to aim short of your opponent (and glide attack out to reduce lag) so that you don't get punished?

etecoon

Smash Hero
SDI outward if you get hit and uair him. If he just throws it out and you aren't in range you can do a lot of things, tornado, dash grab, run up and shuttle loop...what you should do all depends on what kind of explosives set up snake has running at that particular time, nothing he does is safe without grenades giving him cover, so you just have to adapt to the current situation.

smasher01

Smash Ace
SDI outward if you get hit and uair him. If he just throws it out and you aren't in range you can do a lot of things, tornado, dash grab, run up and shuttle loop...what you should do all depends on what kind of explosives set up snake has running at that particular time, nothing he does is safe without grenades giving him cover, so you just have to adapt to the current situation.
"nothing he does is safe without grenades giving him cover"
true dat your a genius for saying that lol

earla

Smash Lord
how do you avoid getting snake fair spiked like m2k keeps falling into?

Gates

Banned via Warnings
how do you avoid getting snake fair spiked like m2k keeps falling into?
When you sideB ragequit into the blastzones, make sure you actually are spaced so that you'll GO INTO THE BLAST ZONES.

But seriously, Uair is 2 frames, use it.

etecoon

Smash Hero
When you sideB ragequit into the blastzones, make sure you actually are spaced so that you'll GO INTO THE BLAST ZONES.
L M F A O

and yeah, the move has slow start up, it generally shouldn't get you much...

Hype

Smash Lord
So I was at a tourney last week and I did a team omnigay with my parter and somehow I died and my opponent lived (I had controller port 4).

Explain?

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
So I was at a tourney last week and I did a team omnigay with my parter and somehow I died and my opponent lived (I had controller port 4).

Explain?
I think your timing was off; the C4 went off before or after you entered the blastzone.

etecoon

Smash Hero
It's hard to throw a statement like that out there that they are *the* best, but they definitely rank among the best at least.

Hype

Smash Lord
How do you punish Diddy's dash attack. I can't seem to attack it on reaction becasue the best diddy in my region is really unperdictable with dash dances. Can you shield and punish this move?

Vecayse

Smash Apprentice
What are some good ways to approach a Pit who camps with arrow spam? And when I do come in close and he gets a few hits in it's back to camp and arrow spam. Any help?

Vecayse

Smash Apprentice
Tornado through the arrows or power shield them.
Whenever I tornado through them, cos of the lag he usually fsmashes or ftilts, and then he would usually follow up and then continue camping waiting for me to approach the same way. When I power shield them, it doesnt work all the time, probably because my I kinda fail at powershielding. He usually wins 3-1 quite a few times its 3-2 and rarely when I'm really frustrated and it's not going so well he 3 stocks me.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I was looking for some info on the best possible way to DI with Meta Knight. I ended up looking in the Meta Knight guide thread for some info. I found this:

"Surviving Horizontally:
When you get hit and hopefully DI perpendicular during hitlag, Uair immediately instead of airdodging during hitstun. As soon as you get your Uair out, you will still be moving away from the stage, but you can jump into the safezone corner of the screen (sometimes 2 or 3jumps are nessecary) and DI directly back to the stage. It isn't easy, but plan on surviving to 140 and above quite often.

Surviving Vertically:
After getting hit and DI'ing perpendicularly, Uair as soon as possible and hold directly down. What this will do is put you into immediate fastfall as soon as the Uair comes out. This allows you to live 10-20% longer off the top."
-the Meta Knight guide

That's similar to what I've been doing. When surviving horizontally, though, I do something different. I'll DI straight up, upair->jump and repeat upair->jumps until I'm sure I'll live. I vaguely remember m2k saying a while back that this was, in fact, the best way to do it. So here's my question:

Is that the best way to DI? By repeating upair->jumps? Or upairing and then repeating only jumps?

Hype

Smash Lord
@DanGR: I'm not entirely sure but when I get hit vertically I always just Dair witht eh Cstick (which will put you into the fast fall 2 frams slower) But I can DI with the control stick the whole time. I don't knwo if this is the best way, it just seems like it is.

Eyes

Smash Rookie
hats up guys, I used to be a falco main but in the last couple of weeks i have dropped him and picked up MK as my main. I should have some videos up in the rate my mk thread in a couple days

I was just curious as to what a good secondary is for a MK main. jiggs is my low tier and I play DK pretty well for fun. who are MKs hardest matchups? Snake? I was thinking oli could be okay because he counters snake pretty well. so if anyone could help me out it would be appreciated

-Eyes

etecoon

Smash Hero
MK doesn't need a secondary, he has a 55:45 advantage or better against everyone. However, his worst matchups IMO are Diddy, Ice Climbers, Sheik, Wario, Lucario, and Falco. Snake is probably part of that group but I think MK beats him worse than anyone not named Olimar anyway, so if Snake gives you problems maybe you could consider Olimar. DDD is considered an excellent secondary to MK as he counters Wario, Lucario, and goes even with Snake. Just look at those characters matchup threads and try to find common counters, especially to any matchups that you yourself have problems with.

swordgard

Smash Hero
@DanGR: I'm not entirely sure but when I get hit vertically I always just Dair witht eh Cstick (which will put you into the fast fall 2 frams slower) But I can DI with the control stick the whole time. I don't knwo if this is the best way, it just seems like it is.
Actually, you will fast fall usually faster using dair.

The speed at which the attack comes out does not matter, since you can fast fall on first frame it is being used as. Using up air simply ends faster allowing you to jump, however dair assures you 100% that you will fast fall on first frame possible which is not the case on up air unless you press up on cstick and down on control stick or you can press up + A then down in literally 1 frame difference.

Also, you must always fast fall, but technically you live longer if you are sent horizontally then use up air ffed perfectly and finally jump into glide animation.

If anyone wants more precision, aim/msn me : D

Top Bottom