• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight's New Match Up Thread: Olimar

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Well I was playing Lie's Olimar and I did nair and he whistled all of it. Maybe I did it too early or something idk. If anyone could test it that would be great

Exdeath

Smash Master
Well I was playing Lie's Olimar and I did nair and he whistled all of it. Maybe I did it too early or something idk. If anyone could test it that would be great
You need to space it and fast-fall it so that the hit lag allows you to move below Olimar and catch him with the weak hit after Nair ends.

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
Olimar can whistle MK's n-air very well.

Go for well-timed rising d-airs instead. Fast fall n-airing is asking to be whistled into a spike off stage.

Staco

Smash Champion

Go for well-timed rising d-airs instead. Fast fall n-airing is asking to be whistled into a spike off stage.
Olimar can even whistle MKs fair, if really well timed. ><

I dont think DTilt is better than FTilt in that MU.
It makes you getting grabbed. :(

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
D-tilt interrupts grabs from Olimar really well.

Spaced repeate d-tilts on Olimar's shield = cannot be shieldgrabbed. I believe the only thing Olimar can do is hope to powershield one of the d-tilts and buffer a OOS up-smash.

F-tilt forces you to commit on Olimar's shield since you can't follow up with anything other than two more f-tilts.

Basically.

F-tilt when mid-screen. Barely outspaces shieldgrab I believe.
D-tilt spam when Olimar is near ledges.

Exdeath

Smash Master

You aren't spacing/timing it properly if you're getting Down-B>Daired. If you're spacing to hit falling Olimar, rising Dair can be Faired instead. If you're Uair>FFNair>Uairing properly, Olimar should not be able to hit you without a yellow.

D-tilt interrupts grabs from Olimar really well.

Spaced repeate d-tilts on Olimar's shield = cannot be shieldgrabbed. I believe the only thing Olimar can do is hope to powershield one of the d-tilts and buffer a OOS up-smash.

F-tilt forces you to commit on Olimar's shield since you can't follow up with anything other than two more f-tilts.

Basically.

F-tilt when mid-screen. Barely outspaces shieldgrab I believe.
D-tilt spam when Olimar is near ledges.
The more I learn about the Olimar MU, the less I use Ftilt (personally). All hits of Ftilt are so laggy/open for punishment that it's not much better than Dsmash. Don't just throw out Dtilts either, though (or any attack for that matter, although more so for ground attacks than aerial attacks).

On power shield, Olimar actually has the ability to guaranteed D/Ftilt you, Usmash you (if you're close), jab you (if you're close), or jump before your second Dtilt/comes out. I mention jump because Olimar then has a guaranteed hit on Meta Knight with F/Bair if you whiff a Dtilt on his jump. It's not likely, but I'm putting it out there anyway. Olimar can also Fsmash/Dsmash/etc. if you try to dash grab him after the Dtilt (it's a fairly popular follow-up).

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
It's fun how with this data alone, it almost sounds like it's a bad matchup...

Player-4

See you in 25 years
Idk if it was mentioned earlier but if you Dtilt Olimar he seriously has zero options. Obviously if he doesn't shield it he gets hit, but if he's shielding he has 1 of 2 options, roll behind (number one option) or roll away.

If he rolls behind, read it and grab or Dsmash and if he rolls away just dash attack :)

Also instead of throwing Olimar you should pummel him until he ground breaks, then Dtilt him to your option I said above

Exdeath

Smash Master
Idk if it was mentioned earlier but if you Dtilt Olimar he seriously has zero options. Obviously if he doesn't shield it he gets hit, but if he's shielding he has 1 of 2 options, roll behind (number one option) or roll away.

If he rolls behind, read it and grab or Dsmash and if he rolls away just dash attack :)

Also instead of throwing Olimar you should pummel him until he ground breaks, then Dtilt him to your option I said above
It was mentioned and discussed on this same page.

Kaffei

Smash Hero

or spot dodge
or jump OoS and aerial (if you try to nado to beat his aerial he can whistle to upsmash iirc)

either way with a good read he's ****ed

Player-4

See you in 25 years
or spot dodge
or jump OoS and aerial (if you try to nado to beat his aerial he can whistle to upsmash iirc)

either way with a good read he's ****ed
If he spot dodges you just keep Dtilting lol

If he jumps then you SLoop his *** and gimp him

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I will keep that in my mind thanks. I always thought Dtilt sucks against Oli, but it sounds great.

a male platypus

Smash Apprentice
One thing I've noticed, is that if you DO get a dash attack in on Oli, they all always seem to spot dodge right away on instinct.

If you can, at low percents: dash attack < Utilt < grab
or just: Dash attack < grab < release < dtilt < repeat < wait for them to faux-predict you doing it again, and go for a dair/nair to get them off stage.

Another good thing you can do, although a tad bit more risky, is work on tornado mind games. SH and start a tornado, do some shield poking and retreat far beyond what Olimar can punish (except for maybe with a thrown pikmin) and then every now and then mix it up and act like you're going to retreat, wait for him to unshield and then go get 'im. By mixing it up like that you may get punished occasionally, but if it leads to getting Olimar offstage you might be able to get a free gimp.

Still, Olimar is one of my worst matchups. I have trouble with their Fsmash spacing and Usmashes. Grabs are also a bit of a b****.

I feel like his Fair can kill decently well too, so be sure to try and read those if you can. His dair's hitbox is decieving, but I never really find myself getting spiked. Uair is insane for combos, watch out for that grab at low percents into an Uair, you'll hate yourself.

Also, his fkn dash attack and Utilt always seem to get me... I don't know how good they are or if I'm just doing something wrong. But keep an eye out for them. If he does do a dash attack, be wary of an Utilt follow up. Tilt your shield up to shield the whole thing and take your Dtilt or grab.

theunabletable

Smash Lord
idk I'd feel really unsafe repeatedly Dtilting Oli's shield, unless I space it like really well

upsmash OoS is scary @_@

But yeah Dtilts pretty good against Oli

Player-4

See you in 25 years
He can't Usmash you OoS if you're Dtiliting his shield, trust me I play against multiple Oli's down here. Dtilt completely shuts down his viable options.

Exdeath

Smash Master
He can't Usmash you OoS if you're Dtiliting his shield, trust me I play against multiple Oli's down here. Dtilt completely shuts down his viable options.
Yes he can haha. If you're spacing it well then it won't hit MK, but even then yellow Usmash will trade with Dtilt at that range.

theunabletable

Smash Lord
I thought so lol.

Rich's upsmashes just barrel through everything in every situation, apparently it's like frame 8 lol

that's like faster than GSL oos

Player-4

See you in 25 years
Then maybe the Olimar's I play don't know what to do *shrugs*

But I mean the whole Upsmash OoS thing I said doesn't work because the Oli I play with is big on it and uses it whenever he can, idk he says he can't do it during the situation.

Exdeath

Smash Master
Then maybe the Olimar's I play don't know what to do *shrugs*

But I mean the whole Upsmash OoS thing I said doesn't work because the Oli I play with is big on it and uses it whenever he can, idk he says he can't do it during the situation.
The first part answers the second then haha.

Player-4

See you in 25 years
The thing is though, they're still solid Olimar's, that's why it doesn't really make sense to me, I mean it wouldn't hurt to try your Dtilt options.

It's kinda like Nado-ing Snake, if they don't know they can Uptilt it when it approaches, then you abuse it. Same thing can be said about this, if the Olimar you're fighting doesn't know he has the options or doesn't know how to use the best options then abuse it.

There's nothing wrong with using stuff that shouldn't work if you can get it to work, people need to stop treating their opponents like they're the best of their character and stop giving them so much credit where credit isn't due.

Exdeath

Smash Master
The thing is though, they're still solid Olimar's, that's why it doesn't really make sense to me, I mean it wouldn't hurt to try your Dtilt options.

It's kinda like Nado-ing Snake, if they don't know they can Uptilt it when it approaches, then you abuse it. Same thing can be said about this, if the Olimar you're fighting doesn't know he has the options or doesn't know how to use the best options then abuse it.

There's nothing wrong with using stuff that shouldn't work if you can get it to work, people need to stop treating their opponents like they're the best of their character and stop giving them so much credit where credit isn't due.
That has nothing to do with whether or not it is possible for Olimar to Usmash Dtilt.

Exdeath

Smash Master
What I understand is that you can do things that have a counter when people don't know how to counter it or aren't countering it properly. Dtilt is still very good vs. Olimar and still frame traps Olimar better than almost any other character.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
Honestly, do we have more than two good stages in this matchup? O.o
Considering we win on neutral stages anyway,

yes

but we don't have any autowin counterpicks no LOL

I actually works, if the Pikmin are damaged enough.
Or am I missing something?
It's not worth the risk reward

@ thread I agree with table mostly

also Inui is amazing at this mu for no reason lol

TKD

Smash Lord
/\ brinstar seems pretty auto-win.

I really don't think you "win" vs oli. MK may have a small advantage, but I see nothing large enough to call out. No need to get jealous. MK is more awesome. It's just that the only high-level Oli I've seen are Rich, Brood and Nietono (the later being considered the best), and they don't make it look like Oli "loses".

What I like to watch vs Olimar is jumping up to him with Fair when he's suspected to whistle soon. If he whistles or air-dodges, you can dair him. He also sort of frame traps himself sometimes, which is pretty cool.

Exdeath

Smash Master
/\ brinstar seems pretty auto-win.

I really don't think you "win" vs oli. MK may have a small advantage, but I see nothing large enough to call out. No need to get jealous. MK is more awesome. It's just that the only high-level Oli I've seen are Rich, Brood and Nietono (the later being considered the best), and they don't make it look like Oli "loses".

What I like to watch vs Olimar is jumping up to him with Fair when he's suspected to whistle soon. If he whistles or air-dodges, you can dair him. He also sort of frame traps himself sometimes, which is pretty cool.
Nietono makes it look like Olimar counters Meta Knight haha.

~PWN~

Smash Cadet
Olimars aren't real hard to me. Just keep the Pikmin off with a Nair and make sure to change up your approach fairly often and you should do pretty well.

V

Smash Ace
@PWN we're talking about high level play where both players know eachothers options in every situation and are ready to react to and punish every mistake you make

@player 4 lmao for calling him out

:phone:

Top Bottom