• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight's Revenge: The Official Match-Up Thread *Wario* -> GO

Status
Not open for further replies.

TKD

Smash Lord
I think the MK vs. Marth MU should be changed from 65:35 to 60:40

oh, and I think marth could be played better than the atm best marth players do, so dont look at actual marth vs. meta vids
the only good example vids for the mu I know are the havok vs. tkd vids:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txygATa2P7k&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U74Du6xZh7M&feature=related
We play much better now. I agree with 6/4, but 5 points really don't make much difference. I've realized Marth doesn't need to be that careful, but still his difficulty to KO Meta Knight is what makes him not-good ever. He can win in neutrals, CP stages I'm not so sure (there's too many of them). Trying to kill early via spike or hoping for tipper fsmash too much may make you miss enough opportunities to be losing.

DO what I do. Norfair & Japes wins everytime. Except Japes when versing Falco, >.>
Japes is good on Falco. You NEVER die (to a greater extent than Falco possibly). Falco already has a really tough time landing a grab (if you play well), and if they push for it you can just keep on damaging them. It's too much to ask for a Falco to chaingrab you into the left side from the center. There are much better stages for you to CP him, but Japes isn't banworthy in my opinion. All it gives him is recovery.

About DK, Dair's big enough to hit easily, you can Shuttle Loop them from inside out (if you get hit by their upB, it's only a tiny hit and you can continue the edgeguard), you can also grab the edge for invincibility frames and Nair into him. There's lots of things to do. You don't HAVE to KO him in his recovery, if the fight continues on-stage, it's easy to block and punish tilts with Ftilt and camp into Mach Tornadoes. BTW learn how to break grabs quickly and he can't do the carry stage spike thing until higher %'s (70%? 80%?).

haloman800

Smash Apprentice
oh and against yoshi, ban castle siege, he will infinate u to death on 2nd part of that stage.

Staco

Smash Champion
If I play Falco I would ban FD instead of Japes.
A spamming Falco can be very good at FD, but he cant spam very good at japes.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I already tried. They're too good for us.
No, that wasn't meant to be a joke. x___x

Popertop

Smash Champion
BTW learn how to break grabs quickly and he can't do the carry stage spike thing until higher %'s (70%? 80%?).
Lern2 tech.
srsly.

but really you can just hold up to break out fast, and DI'ing the throw either up or down will make it miss.
try it.

also it's really easy to tech. srsly don't ever get cargo stagespiked its embarrasing.

TKD

Smash Lord
Well I've faced lots of DK players, but I haven't been cargo stage spiked, so I didn't know it's easy to tech. Pretty easy match-up still.

Shadow 111

Smash Lord
Well I've faced lots of DK players, but I haven't been cargo stage spiked, so I didn't know it's easy to tech. Pretty easy match-up still.
really? i actually have a really tough time in this matchup. i should start abusing nado more XD. i can never kill DK until about 160 though =/. very annoying matchup. ppl think diddy, snake, and DDD are harder but i do significantly better in those matchups than against any DK. :dizzy:

TKD

Smash Lord
Some characters are very good if you approach them. Marth's Dancing Blade trades hits with Ftilt and outright beats the rest of Meta Knight's moves to the punch. But blocking it makes for an easy punish. Donkey Kong's good if you approach him in ways that he can hit you.

We should be discussing Zero Suit Samus. I'm guessing it's 6/4 Meta Knight. She's good at very short, and at long range, but she doesn't have much to do somewhere in between (at Meta Knight's tipper range). Her grab is slow too, which coupled with her short ranged tilts, makes for Meta Knight's moves to be safe on block. Meta Knight can play it safe very easily, I think. ZZS doesn't pressure Meta Knight too much into approaching, and her couple of long range options are pretty straightforward.

She does have a good recovery, to the point I think the player can recover well enough not to get gimped easily, or be KOed consistantly while attempting recovery, so that takes that usual 10-20% of the match off of Meta Knight's advantage. Plus Zero Suit Samus has more KO power. OverB, Uair and Dsmash into aerials can KO. Her KO options are avoidable, but there's still more than a couple of them.

I don't think ZSS has enough approach options, and that being caught in MK's good zone leaves her with few options. Still, likely (not sure though), not a horrible match-up. I don't know much about the character. Maybe good ZSS players should step it up, because she's not an overused character for most of us to know the match-up.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
memphis, keep spamming the boards. I don't think they get it yet.

Sonic is a MK counter gaiz.

OverLade

Smash Hero
really? i actually have a really tough time in this matchup. i should start abusing nado more XD. i can never kill DK until about 160 though =/. very annoying matchup. ppl think diddy, snake, and DDD are harder but i do significantly better in those matchups than against any DK. :dizzy:
I played a good DK yesterday at a tournament and it's a pretty obnoxious matchup. Killing him is so difficult so at any time he can come back.

I got 0-90% on him without him touching me but he brought me up to 90%ish through Utilt combos and good spacing before I was able to kill him.

He's extremely difficult to gimp as well. You can keep dairing him off the edge and you can even shuttle loop him and the hit trade will keep you alive but even then he just keeps coming back....

Also I NEARLY lost to a Yoshi player (Reflex's brother) in a friendly. Its like you can't really approach and you can't really edguard. I got the hang of the matchup in time to bring it back, but is there any methodical way to win?

ckm

Smash Journeyman
yeah, yoshi is really annoying. the grab release is actually pretty frustrating.

Shadow 111

Smash Lord
I played a good DK yesterday at a tournament and it's a pretty obnoxious matchup. Killing him is so difficult so at any time he can come back.

I got 0-90% on him without him touching me but he brought me up to 90%ish through Utilt combos and good spacing before I was able to kill him.

He's extremely difficult to gimp as well. You can keep dairing him off the edge and you can even shuttle loop him and the hit trade will keep you alive but even then he just keeps coming back....

Also I NEARLY lost to a Yoshi player (Reflex's brother) in a friendly. Its like you can't really approach and you can't really edguard. I got the hang of the matchup in time to bring it back, but is there any methodical way to win?
i'm glad some1 else has seen what a pian DK can be lol. there aren't enough of thme for ppl to realize it really.
yoshi is pretty good against mk, but it's still mks advantage 6/4 at least, IMO. i play Pride a lot, one of the best yoshi mains, so i learned a lot about the matchup. it's difficult to gimp them but if they make one mistake you can get a gimp off easily. if they use his super armor from his second jump smart enough, you can't gimp him out of it. i usually hit him while he is rising with the second jump onto the stage with 1-2 nairs while following him onto the stage and then throw him off again and repeat with edge guarding. it's good to rack damage even if you can't knock him out of the second jump.
don't tornado from far away obviously because he will pivot grab it and CG you. you should tornado right above his tongue everytime, so that you cannot get grabbed.

OverLade

Smash Hero
i'm glad some1 else has seen what a pian DK can be lol. there aren't enough of thme for ppl to realize it really.
yoshi is pretty good against mk, but it's still mks advantage 6/4 at least, IMO. i play Pride a lot, one of the best yoshi mains, so i learned a lot about the matchup. it's difficult to gimp them but if they make one mistake you can get a gimp off easily. if they use his super armor from his second jump smart enough, you can't gimp him out of it. i usually hit him while he is rising with the second jump onto the stage with 1-2 nairs while following him onto the stage and then throw him off again and repeat with edge guarding. it's good to rack damage even if you can't knock him out of the second jump.
don't tornado from far away obviously because he will pivot grab it and CG you. you should tornado right above his tongue everytime, so that you cannot get grabbed.
Yeah I dont think I've ever played a Yoshi before since back in the online days.

I got Spiked First stock when he was at 50% so I had to super hustle to bring it back. I got Pivot grabbed quite a bit. Luckily it was on BF so I could mash out and get to the platforms. Nairing the Invincibility frames helped but I didn't try edguarding much too avoid getting spiked again.

On a side note I realized how punishable a move Tornado is. I got killed by Kismet several times because he's just DI out of my nado then Usmash me. It's probably part of why I lost the set. It only seems to be any good when you can shield pressure your opponent or they don't have a good move around it and can't DI out of it very easily.

Kamikaze*

Smash Ace
On a side note I realized how punishable a move Tornado is. I got killed by Kismet several times because he's just DI out of my nado then Usmash me. It's probably part of why I lost the set. It only seems to be any good when you can shield pressure your opponent or they don't have a good move around it and can't DI out of it very easily.
Finally someone sees this.

Popertop

Smash Champion
Some characters are very good if you approach them. Marth's Dancing Blade trades hits with Ftilt and outright beats the rest of Meta Knight's moves to the punch. But blocking it makes for an easy punish. Donkey Kong's good if you approach him in ways that he can hit you.

We should be discussing Zero Suit Samus. I'm guessing it's 6/4 Meta Knight. She's good at very short, and at long range, but she doesn't have much to do somewhere in between (at Meta Knight's tipper range). Her grab is slow too, which coupled with her short ranged tilts, makes for Meta Knight's moves to be safe on block. Meta Knight can play it safe very easily, I think. ZZS doesn't pressure Meta Knight too much into approaching, and her couple of long range options are pretty straightforward.

She does have a good recovery, to the point I think the player can recover well enough not to get gimped easily, or be KOed consistantly while attempting recovery, so that takes that usual 10-20% of the match off of Meta Knight's advantage. Plus Zero Suit Samus has more KO power. OverB, Uair and Dsmash into aerials can KO. Her KO options are avoidable, but there's still more than a couple of them.

I don't think ZSS has enough approach options, and that being caught in MK's good zone leaves her with few options. Still, likely (not sure though), not a horrible match-up. I don't know much about the character. Maybe good ZSS players should step it up, because she's not an overused character for most of us to know the match-up.
a mid range she has her plasma whip and paralyzer into grab shenaniganz.

also, her down-b gets her out of some stuff.

utilt is too good, and really fast.

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
Hello
infamous
meta knights! The zeldas are re-discussing this matchup here

Hope to see you there. Please read the OP also.

Staco

Smash Champion
Lol, I played around with my friend a bit and we tried some planking things.
MK vs. Falco MU should be at least 70:30 for MK, because Falco cant do anything vs. planking and if he gets to close MK can gimp him or simply attack him, sometimes with UAir strings, which make a lot of damage.
So Falco has to get the lead all of the match, which is very hard to do.

Same for Fox, Wolf.
And Chars like Pit, Wario etc. got problems vs. it, too, so the MUs of them should change at least for 10 or more.

Even Pit got problems vs. MK planking, wtf.
He cant attack MK from on stage. (maybe with arrow loops, but then MK can attack while Pit moves the arrows.)
If Pit goes offstage MK only needs to do one or two attacks and Pit gets in a situation to beeing gimped!

OverLade

Smash Hero
Lol, I played around with my friend a bit and we tried some planking things.
MK vs. Falco MU should be at least 70:30 for MK, because Falco cant do anything vs. planking and if he gets to close MK can gimp him or simply attack him, sometimes with UAir strings, which make a lot of damage.
So Falco has to get the lead all of the match, which is very hard to do.

Same for Fox, Wolf.
And Chars like Pit, Wario etc. got problems vs. it, too, so the MUs of them should change at least for 10 or more.

Even Pit got problems vs. MK planking, wtf.
He cant attack MK from on stage. (maybe with arrow loops, but then MK can attack while Pit moves the arrows.)
If Pit goes offstage MK only needs to do one or two attacks and Pit gets in a situation to beeing gimped!
A. Your friend probably sucks with Falco.
B. Planking is usually banned.
C. Falco never has to approach MK.

MK vs. Falco is DEFINELTY even if played properly. 55:45 at its worst only on certain stages.

fource

Smash Lord
NNID
LeThienWasMyHero
Just wanted to say you should update the Diddy picture on this thread Affinity. It just isn't all that special. Personally I like this one:

But I guess it's your decision. :)

Staco

Smash Champion
A. Your friend probably sucks with Falco.
B. Planking is usually banned.
C. Falco never has to approach MK.

MK vs. Falco is DEFINELTY even if played properly. 55:45 at its worst only on certain stages.
Falco has to approach if the Mk gets a % lead and if he starts running time out (planking).
And tell me what the Falco should do to stop MK at the edge?

OverLade

Smash Hero
Falco has to approach if the Mk gets a % lead and if he starts running time out (planking).
And tell me what the Falco should do to stop MK at the edge?
Ummm Planking is BANNED in like 90% of the tournaments on the east coast.....

edit: oh you're in germany.

If planking isn't banned then don't use Falco vs. MK because you will lose if you don't get a lead....

haloman800

Smash Apprentice
regarding the fox matchup, fox can grab release to usmash you at 80%, just like shiek and yoshi can...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom