• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Metagame Minute, DI Part 4, Out Now! 12/13/2011 UPDATE!

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
@ GIMR Im so glad you are doing these things; I think it inspires the community to actually look deeper into the game mechanics. I also had a question for you. Does this work on the edge as well? Just wanted to make sure, if the frame data still stood. Cuz Im sure thatd give some characters some definite gimp set ups. Again thanks for these awesome videos! keep it up!

Choice

Smash Champion
i think its kinda funky this is here and not in the metagame data.

anyways, thanks a lot for the vid GiMR. its already lead to some data being brought back to light for my characters which makes it seem like the implementation of this stuff is soon to follow. at the very least for myself i now know i have a few more options that can lock than i knew about.

LanceStern

Smash Lord
I want to say i remember Snake backairing, or dedede jumping from being "edge slipped" off battlefield. But I don't remember.

Keep up the good work

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
Because in some instances it seemed they instantly edgehogged. In other they fell and werent able to jump until a particular period. If this is the case and can be done on command ( which i think I may have) this could be amazing for certain characters.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Be wary that some attacks instantly change the way you are facing, so even if you are facing towards the edge of the platform/stage, an attack might turn you around.

Judo777

Smash Master
Be wary that some attacks instantly change the way you are facing, so even if you are facing towards the edge of the platform/stage, an attack might turn you around.
To followup on what your saying, I might be mistaken but i am pretty certain that everymove forces you to face the direction you were hit from. There might be some weird stipulations but I'm fairly certain this is true. Therefore you might always be forced to face the wrong way when hit from a certain spot.

Also that was longer than a minute GIMR lol gj tho

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
I am aware of that. I believe that for instance, Sonics jab has the capacity to induce the edge slip effect at the edge. Iono what other moves do on hit but that one seems to. It potentially might lead into a gimp ( so far ive been working with bair and dair) but the point is I want to know if edge slip rules also apply for the stage edges ( im sure it does). Ppl should really look into this as jab locks might get better options at the edge after this tech than we once believed. Right now ive got a solid setup to a jab lock using this tech already that could ledge to a gimp if this works on the edge. I would love to know if it does.

Judo777

Smash Master
I am aware of that. I believe that for instance, Sonics jab has the capacity to induce the edge slip effect at the edge. Iono what other moves do on hit but that one seems to. It potentially might lead into a gimp ( so far ive been working with bair and dair) but the point is I want to know if edge slip rules also apply for the stage edges ( im sure it does). Ppl should really look into this as jab locks might get better options at the edge after this tech than we once believed. Right now ive got a solid setup to a jab lock using this tech already that could ledge to a gimp if this works on the edge. I would love to know if it does.
I apologize if I am misunderstanding as I am jumping into the conversation, but are you implying jab locking someone to the edge and then off the ledge? Because if they slide off during a jab lock they don't experience edge slip and therefore can grab the ledge instantly.

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
No no no. you jab lock them, then allow the auto get up. then u jab again. try it with a character and ull see what i mean.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
edge slip works on the ledge but they grab the ledge as soon as their edge slip animation is over. Some setups after jab lock lead to a guaranteed foot stool because you can foot stool them during their edge slip animation

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
Okay can u try this gimr? Jab snake with sonic at the edge of the stage. For me if spaced correctly he doesn't grab the edge.

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
I'll try it, you also got to remember that they can DI towards the stage and might be able to grab the edge because of that.

Uffe

Smash Hero
The edge thing is interesting. I've bounced off the edge of Battle Field a few times, but nothing like what you've shown. That MK 0-to-death combo is ridiculous, and I knew something was up with D3's spotdodge. Ugh. Good finds, though. Keep it up.

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
sorry guys, you're gonna have to wait an extra day. this weeks vid isn't gonna be AMAZING. It's still pretty tight though

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
To be fair, I think you've bought yourself a few weeks. Given it's supposed be a minute a week and the last one was like 5, you're not due until May at some point :)

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
I've known about this for a while. Kirby also gets a huge boost in grab range. It was the first character I found this out with.

Flayl

Smash Hero
I think the Dedede boards already knew this, but the wording on how they do their dash cancelled shield grabs isn't exactly clear.

Life

Smash Hero
I for one know about this (or at least straight up shield-out-of-dash to grab, don't think I did anything with skidding), which means it's likely floating in some obscure corner of the Sonic boards.

Nice to know there's a vid explaining the mechanics, however, good stuff as always.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
I think you might actually be able to JC Grabs, it just doesn't really do anything spectacular.

I could be completely offbase though.
:phone:

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
so u have to enter run animation first then let go of the control stick?

EDIT: Okay its what I thought it was; Us sonics have been using it for a bit cuz our shield dash grab sucks so much. This is mad cool though, theres tons of scenarios im sure where other characters needed those frames for follow ups ( like moves that make that stupid slightly off the ground hit stun) for grabs to be solid follow ups. I am eager to know whats next for next week I really want to see one on punishing RCO landing lag.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Well, this explains why I could never do this as Dedede before. I thought you had to shield before you started to skid.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I was under the impression that this was common knowledge, though, I suppose I got to play Kismet's Falco quite regularly for two years, so that might be why I knew.

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
I think people theorycrafted it but never actually saw if it was legit

Top Bottom