• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MetaKnight Infinite Dimensional Cape - hope you enjoy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Debonu

Smash Cadet
The dpad is different than the control stick! its that plus shaped thingamabober. go into controller settings and change it so that the up on the D Pad is "Up Smash" then just go use metaknight. hold down on control stick press(or hold) the B button then spam the up on Dpad as fast as you can and you should do the stall(putting it in 2/3 speed makes it so i can do it for over a minute while i can barely go the whole stage with regular settings)

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Exactly how is stalling under the stage easier to notice than having your character model disappear from the screen and not return while you're mashing the controller? I missed that because I didn't want to read three pages back.
Because you could be trying to use it as an approach, and then not get an opening, so retreat with it and try again.

That's really the most effective method of using this technique besides stalling, fading in and out of approach range until your opponent doesn't react properly, and attack.

IT DOESNT TAKE A ROCKET SCIENTIST TO RELAIZE OH CRAP THAT GUY IS STALLING LIKE A HOMO.
If it's not defined, how can you call and DQ a person for stalling?

It's quite simple really, anyone is allowed to do whatever they want to win, as long as it's within the rules, and not the spirit of the rules, the exact letter. Because, if not, how can a person know if what they're doing is defined as stalling?

So, explicitly define it. Otherwise I'll gladly pick MK, get one damage more then you, and use this tech to stall out the match and win, because I play to win. If you object, I'll say, "I wasn't stalling, it's has xyz attributes". There can't be any argument, because without any central definition, it's just clashing opinions.

It is the best strategy, but it makes match-ups irrelevant, along with other related issues, so it must be banned.

And yeah, you might want to pick a better insult then "homo", there happen to be a reasonable number around here.

TomTom

Smash Cadet
The dpad is different than the control stick! its that plus shaped thingamabober. go into controller settings and change it so that the up on the D Pad is "Up Smash" then just go use metaknight. hold down on control stick press(or hold) the B button then spam the up on Dpad as fast as you can and you should do the stall(putting it in 2/3 speed makes it so i can do it for over a minute while i can barely go the whole stage with regular settings)
Sorry.. yes, I'm aware what a D-pad is. It looks like I was confused about the technique full stop. Thanks for the clarification, though. :laugh:

SketchHurricane

Smash Ace
BTW I've tried working around this tech in my mind. Lets say you put a 5 second limit. MK moves fast enough that he could be on either side of you at the end of this. So you basically have to guess which side he will be on and then react accordingly. Not only this, but you have to guess the general spot, and in some cases the exact spot if you don't have any moves quick enough or broad enough to punish. The lag on this is not quite long enough that any move will do.

This isn't even taking into account that fact that he can land right on top and hit you. So now you have to shield for at least the first few seconds, and then retaliate with nothing more than a rough estimate of where he will end up. I'm pretty sure most moves out-prioritize this, so that's a good thing. But if you mess up the timing, you get shielded and punished yourself. Or you get nothing, and MK succeeds in getting out of whatever jam he was in to begin with.

I've thought of a few useful moves in dealing with this, but in the end, MK can just get as far away as possible to nullify any useful retaliation. And that's basically the point of this move in the first place.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
BTW I've tried working around this tech in my mind. Lets say you put a 5 second limit. MK moves fast enough that he could be on either side of you at the end of this. So you basically have to guess which side he will be on and then react accordingly. Not only this, but you have to guess the general spot, and in some cases the exact spot if you don't have any moves quick enough or broad enough to punish. The lag on this is not quite long enough that any move will do.

This isn't even taking into account that fact that he can land right on top and hit you. So now you have to shield for at least the first few seconds, and then retaliate with nothing more than a rough estimate of where he will end up. I'm pretty sure most moves out-prioritize this, so that's a good thing. But if you mess up the timing, you get shielded and punished yourself. Or you get nothing, and MK succeeds in getting out of whatever jam he was in to begin with.

I've thought of a few useful moves in dealing with this, but in the end, MK can just get as far away as possible to nullify any useful retaliation. And that's basically the point of this move in the first place.
Pretty much,,,

Yeah, so if the tech is allowed but infinite stalling isn't, MK just becomes Akuma tier(Super Street Fighter II Turbo of course).

Seriously, this tech is so far beyond broken that, how can we even consider allowing it in competitive play?

Quez256

Smash Journeyman
This may seem like a stupid question, but is it possible that other moves could be used in a similar fashion?

I was thinking in particular of Zelda and Shiek's UpB moves, since they both make the character invisible and travel a short distance etc. They seem to function in a similar manner to the Dimensional Cape. I have a feeling it's not possible, though.

I can't think of any other moves that work this way.
Nope, tried it yesterday.

gallax

Smash Hero
this should be allowed in tourneys though. it having a timer means keeping it then do it. but otherwise this is a tech that MK has and it can put him to the top.

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
Well, I try it out, and overall, it's actually is easy to do and have a dangerous potential to be stalling with enough patience and stamina to the fingers. However, just to note that it's harder to do it on curves and floors that are not completely flat. Still, I wouldn't suggest it should be banned though. Until I see a flock of MKs taking over the scene, then I have no choice but to agree.

SketchHurricane

Smash Ace
To be honest, I don't think people will even bother with this in the end. MK's offense is already too good to be running away with this. Why run when your moves are lightning fast as it is? Now if a campy character had something like this, then GG.

It could, however, be used offensively to tech chase, if he indeed capes faster than he runs. But he already runs pretty fast, so dunno either way. Think about it, if people decided this was only good as a tech chase, it probably won't end up banned, since offensively it's quite punishable on block. I would love to see it put to offensive use and not relegated to a retreat.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I'll bother with it. As long as this is legal, I have a CP planned with Metaknight for instawin XD

Just need to practice it now

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
It could, however, be used offensively to tech chase, if he indeed capes faster than he runs. But he already runs pretty fast, so dunno either way. Think about it, if people decided this was only good as a tech chase, it probably won't end up banned, since offensively it's quite punishable on block. I would love to see it put to offensive use and not relegated to a retreat.
The attack is quite punishable on block...

However, you need to perfectly predict the attack's timing. MK has all the time in the world to be invincable, and if you don't use your countermeasure before he decides to attack, his attack wins. So you need to predict when MK is gonna strike, the guessing game is FAR too weighted in MK's favor.

And he can just use it as a ready made approach, he can just appear within safe distance for the attack, but past defenses if he so desires, and you can't stop him.

Snake disadvantage? Pfft, what Snake disadvantage?

And if you use the guessing game technique, he has an advantage over EVERY CHARACTER IN THE GAME, it's so weighed towards him that it's not even funny.

I'll bother with it. As long as this is legal, I have a CP planned with Metaknight for instawin XD

Just need to practice it now
I'll just adopt him as my new main, what are you gonna do now, punk?

Counter-picking doesn't do much if the counter-pick is the same character.

Union of Darkness

Smash Ace
this should be allowed in tourneys though. it having a timer means keeping it then do it. but otherwise this is a tech that MK has and it can put him to the top.
Maybe you haven't noticed, but MK is practically at the top already. He doesn't need a tech that from what I can see is completely broken if done right.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Play ROB and out camp you because that's what I do.
Against MK's Infinite Dimensional Cape?

Lol, yeah right, I'll get more damage on you via attack from cape (which MK has an almost insurmountable advantage in) then stall out the match.

So, you HAVE to switch to your counter-pick...

And the entire metagame degrades into mk v mk.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
The attack is quite punishable on block...

However, you need to perfectly predict the attack's timing. MK has all the time in the world to be invincable, and if you don't use your countermeasure before he decides to attack, his attack wins. So you need to predict when MK is gonna strike, the guessing game is FAR too weighted in MK's favor.
Not only that, but (I'm quite sure this has been previously stated), he does NOT need to attack, and can opt to use the regular version, which is basically lagless, and cancel it into whatever move he wants. Dsmash? Yup. Shuttle Loop. Mmm, delicious mirite? Tornado? Naturally.

There's no ending lag if you just wrap from it and choose not to go on the offense. Also, with the Nunchuk combo and custom controls, it's so ridiculously easy to do that any naysayers that haven't already been refuted by Yuna, and still believe this technique isn't humanly possible for extended periods of time might as well not have said anything at all.

So are the next few weeks of tournaments going to be hell? Or what? Should we all play Metaknight or what?

Also, it's been difficult to keep track of this thread. Yesterday, I read up until the 12th or so page. I sleep for 8 hours and then we're on page 28. I skimmed here and there since it seems the same arguments are being played out, now we're on 39 and counting, no ****ing way will I want to read through all of this as it progresses so quickly. =/ I assume that's how other feel as well.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Against MK's Infinite Dimensional Cape?

Lol, yeah right, I'll get more damage on you via attack from cape (which MK has an almost insurmountable advantage in) then stall out the match.

So, you HAVE to switch to your counter-pick...

And the entire metagame degrades into mk v mk.
Game start. Laser. I grab edge.

This would be what the game would dissolve into. :(

PredictablyStubborn

Smash Apprentice
Oh look, it's another advanced te...

GAH!!!
MIND BLOWING AT?!!?!?
AHHHHHHHHHHHH
METAGOD!!!

Of course people are gonna abuse it, especially when $$$$ is on the line.

SketchHurricane

Smash Ace
Well I read the first 10 then realized there were 30, decided I had a life and skipped to the last (actually, if I had a life, I would've probably just stoped reading :p)

Swarm, when I said people wouldn't bother, I meant for anything other than stalling purposes, but then I thought of the tech chase idea and well...it'll be banned lol.

MK Infinite Dimensional Cape?

I propose we change this to the Dimensional Infinity Cape of the Knight, or D.I.C.K. for short.

Matches will resort to who can D.I.C.K. around the best.

Dopey

Smash Lord
"I propose we change this to the Dimensional Infinity Cape of the Knight, or D.I.C.K. for short."

glad we kno whats on that mind of yours LOL jk <3

btw, has anyone even tested if u can get hit out of this? my friend linked me the vid, then linked me the thread, and im **** sure not reading all of that first page LOL like can snakades or robeams or anything go through this? what about MKs tornado?

MisterMoo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Aaron_Rodgerz
hmmmmm I'm way to lazy to read EVERY post.... I've read most of um tho....

I still think this tech is more trouble than it's worth.... The stamina it takes to do this move for a long time is crazy... + like said before, MK can be punished for this, and its pretty easy to avoid...

metaXzero

Smash Champion
Huh. Shoryuken says banned if used to stall.

Anything wrong with that wording?

EDIT: I am not supporting for or against D.I.C.K. I just want to see what people think of Shoryuken's ruling.

PredictablyStubborn

Smash Apprentice
"Huh. Shoryuken says banned if used to stall.

Anything wrong with that wording?"

Just define stall, and we have a tournament legal move.

Something like: you can't put your opponent in a position where he can not even touch you for x amount of seconds.

Of course, this doesn't do anything about the chain grabs i guess.

SketchHurricane

Smash Ace
hmmmmm I'm way to lazy to read EVERY post.... I've read most of um tho....

I still think this tech is more trouble than it's worth.... The stamina it takes to do this move for a long time is crazy... + like said before, MK can be punished for this, and its pretty easy to avoid...
So you're saying Meta Knight's D.I.C.K. can be used for long periods of time, granted your hand doesn't get tired from the vigorous motion?

You're dang right I'm risking the infraction lmao

Dopey

Smash Lord
if u can do this for long periods of time, and your invincible, how can it not be considered a stall....your UNTOUCHABLE if thats what im understanding. u could take someones first stock, or just hit them once, and do this till time runs out. and you kno some little kid who eats 30 popsickles a day and has 20 mountain dews to wash them down is gonna have the energy to do this. thats why im training my thumbs right now =) LOLLL

acv

Smash Journeyman
"I propose we change this to the Dimensional Infinity Cape of the Knight, or D.I.C.K. for short."

glad we kno whats on that mind of yours LOL jk <3

btw, has anyone even tested if u can get hit out of this? my friend linked me the vid, then linked me the thread, and im **** sure not reading all of that first page LOL like can snakades or robeams or anything go through this? what about MKs tornado?
best name propposed yet.

bLeAkWuN

Smash Cadet
Its Perfect to call it D.I.C.K.

Thus calling players who are able to stall time after 1 K.O. can be accussed for D.I.C.K.ing around. But seriously, i cant see a good use for this AT. Except for the first K.O. nd then stall for the rest of the time limit...

Quez256

Smash Journeyman
Well I read the first 10 then realized there were 30, decided I had a life and skipped to the last (actually, if I had a life, I would've probably just stoped reading :p)

Swarm, when I said people wouldn't bother, I meant for anything other than stalling purposes, but then I thought of the tech chase idea and well...it'll be banned lol.

MK Infinite Dimensional Cape?

I propose we change this to the Dimensional Infinity Cape of the Knight, or D.I.C.K. for short.

Matches will resort to who can D.I.C.K. around the best.
Whoo yeah, legendary 40 page debate thread regarding one of the godliest AT's to date, and it ends with the creation of the wittiest acronym, thus rendering everyone to spend the rest of their time with Brawl D.I.C.K'ing around.

Gotta love the internet. :chuckle:

Rampage

vx
Why on earth can't I do this? I'm on training mode and I'm tapping up on the c-stick with the control stick down as fast as I can ON 1/4 SPEED

WTF?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom