• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

metaknight just got even better

Shears

Smash Master
alright i figured since m2k shared his combo ill share something ive got that i dont see any metaknights use...utilt. sometimes ill see a metaknight use the utilt out of a dash attack but ive never seen it used for what its got.

in case any of you didnt know the move has some startup lag and some ending lag, but its hitbox hangs out for a while and it has great range. this move has better reach than his usmash and when fresh can KO better than his usmash. the range of this move is great for vertical spacing for any character or move that approaches from above. now this moves glory comes from its priority. metaknights utilt has some of the best vertical priority in the game. there is only one move that can beat this and thats kirbys rock. other than kirbys rock metaknights utilt beats out every other vertical approach. with this outstanding priority and great range it gives metaknight a huge advantage. toon links and game and watchs who would approach with a high priority dair will just get knocked away while metaknight remains unharmed. when spaced properly metaknight can even stop bombs that a link or toon link would throw down along with grenades dropped by snake. the bombs and grenades will actually just blow up above metaknight at the tip of his sword and he will recieve no damage. now this utilt can be stopped by a horizontal attack, but i assume you wont be using the utilt to attack opponents horizontally.

i dont have a video because i dont have any recording equipment and didnt plan on sharing this with anybody until only moments ago when i had nothing better to do. i encourage you to try this out and get good with the spacing and timing of it. if you time it wrong, the opponent and yourself will be hurt, but when timed properly metaknight will be untouched while the opponent will take a sword up the butt. trust me it works and its one of his best moves, if it wasnt for kirbys rock this move would be broken. try it, i double dog dare you.

unit182

Smash Apprentice
I love using the utilt. Noone expects it and it has awesome uses. You can hit through the platforms on BF.

Zinc Elemental

Smash Journeyman
While I agree with you that the up-tilt is great for opponents above you, this isn't really a new discovery...

Shears

Smash Master
i never said i discovered it, what i said was i dont see any metaknights use it. then i went to explain what made the move so good and why it should be used. utilts were discovered the day ssb64 was released and metaknights utilt was discovered the day brawl was released, so you can see that im not claiming a discovery. merely awaring people of its greatness because none of the videos ive watched of any metaknight have i seen them use the utilt. and im pretty sure not everybody, or even many people knew that metaknights utilt can stop bombs without him getting hurt or recieving any knockback. i dont think im the first person to discover this, but that im the first person to publicly announce it so the whole smash community can realize it.

Shears

Smash Master
again i didnt say it was a discovery. and using it is pretty game-breaking seeing that it stops every vertical approach except for kirbys rock. utilt gives metaknight a huge advantage over everybody.

Master Raven

Smash Master
I use Usmash for punishing dodges, however I definitely use Utilt to poke people above me, usually on platforms. It's one of his best and surprisingly underrated KO moves.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
also has good combo potential in early % can land a good 3-4 hits with it

Taso

Smash Apprentice
Basically the problem here is that renowned MKers don't use it.

But the "Lessers" knew about its stunning potential already.

*Joins the bandwagon of those who have been using it since they picked up MK*

ChK

Smash Cadet
haha yes the utilt is deff. underused but it does have great potential. i myself use it sometimes but its funny that you mention others dont... good post =]

pastaboy

Smash Champion
lollolol the title says "metaknight just got even better" how did he get even better if he is the same metaknight with the same utilt, nothign has changed.

Shears

Smash Master
your a clever one! i made that title to attract attention so people will make their metaknights better by using utilt. its the same metaknight, but the way you play metaknight will get better (if youre the typical metaknight player who doesnt use utilt). i think the biggest thing about the utilt is its ability to gobble up bombs and any vertical approach towards metaknight. you all act like its nothing, but the utilt just stops bombs. am i the only one who finds that amazingly useful? ive never seen a post about that, even during the existence of the "utilt vs. usmash" thread about 3 months ago. everyone says its common knowledge but i havent seen any discussion, usage, or videos of utilt by any players (professional and scrubs).

Quez256

Smash Journeyman
if anyone's interested, a video that gives a good display of u-tilt was an old one, interestingly called "white flight". Just search on youtube, can't hyperlink from my Wii >_>

Edit: The video isn't that great, but I'm only mentioning it regarding u-tilt.

Shears

Smash Master
well its not really an utilt vid, but he uses utilt quite a bit. if you all notice it KOs great. also it stops fox dair which many of MKs attacks dont and it beats out bowsers downB which is a pretty high priority move. utilt ftw. metaknight owns the air and with his super fast dsmash, long range ftilt, and a trip combo dtilt topped with an incredible priority and reach utilt, hes conquering the ground. not to mention fsmash KOs great.

J-Money

Smash Apprentice
you know how meta got even better better? he has gained a projectile and weighs as much as bowser.

Shy Guy 86

Smash Ace
Meta Knight, after Falco is my 2nd main, I use Up Tilt to KO usually, or I use U-Tilt/Smash to send the oppenent upwards then up-air until my jumps finish and shuttle loop them to death, I <3 MK's tilts.

The only reason I mained MK is because of how cool "Victory is my Destiny" sounded =P

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
i wish u could do a running up tilit lol. i just shield cancel a dash into it. it kos bowser if its fresh like at 135 on fd.

it does have great priotiry but the hit box is a bit small and the lag that mk isnt used to. but still greaat move to have and use sparingly

Shears

Smash Master
the hitbox is actually pretty good, but the biggest thing is the startup lag. in order to get the biggest hitbox at the best range with the utilt you have to start it early because at the end of the attack is where the utilt is its best. theres some ending lag too but a shield can be thrown out in that instance to protect you. getting used to using the utilt is the biggest thing, but once youve got it down youll realize that its broken. also since the move hangs out there for a little while it can catch people out of airdodges.

Clouderz

Smash Ace
what about for the people who have tap-jump on....

****. I'll still try to use it for GnW's Dair, but i mostly just sheild grab it

Shears

Smash Master
what about for the people who have tap-jump on....

****. I'll still try to use it for GnW's Dair, but i mostly just sheild grab it
simple. turn off tap jump.

or...

tilt your control stick up for an up tilt... like it was done in n64 and melee (however tap jump wasnt as sensitive in those as it is in brawl). by keeping tap jump on you will have to get used to quickly but lightly pushing the control stick only half way up so you dont jump and can still do the utilt.

and to avoid usmash press a after you move the control stick, or use the c-stick when you move the control stick to do an utilt.

Quez256

Smash Journeyman
I actually remember that....tornado shockwave-type thing that moved across the ground after impaling the ground with Galaxia(sp?)(his sword) from Kirby Super Star. Might've been more final-smash'ish due to it's power though.

Rkey

Smash Journeyman
I actually remember that....tornado shockwave-type thing that moved across the ground after impaling the ground with Galaxia(sp?)(his sword) from Kirby Super Star. Might've been more final-smash'ish due to it's power though.
If we're talking power, Samus' screw attack originally killed everything it touched. Anyway, I like MK better without a projectile.

Quez256

Smash Journeyman
Yep, in terms of realism, it baffles me how Snake's Nikita missile has more power than Samus' super missiles. Just to name one. But yeah, MK with no projectiles is the right way to go.

Dojo

Smash Champion
Snakes broken. Enough of that.

On topic, I need to incorporate it into my game a little more. Idk the lag just throws me off.

t3h

Smash Rookie
I like using utilt, just don't use it nearly as much as i should for the situations and sometimes accidentally usmash instead which is a pain.

But is it seriously only beaten by kirbys rock? thats insane

Shears

Smash Master
yah quez has got it, apparently hes had some utilt experience. now wolfs reflector will give you trouble because of his invincibility frames, but if timed right his invincibility frames will run out before the utilt hitbox disappears and wolf will take a beating. yah game and watchs key, toon links dair, dededes upB, you name it. o and before anybody tries to seem smart and slam me, counters such as marths, ikes, and lucarios break MKs utilt so you can add that to the list with kirbys rock, however those break every move.

o and timing it against game and watchs annoying key isnt too hard. bombs, grenades, and toon links dair are the hard ones.

FunkMaster

Smash Journeyman
VERY useful.

u-tilt was along with f-smash the moves I almost never used. probably because those attacks were quite a bit slower compared to his other stuff. and it weirded me out to see somewhat slow moves on metaknight.

still. so you mean to say that NOTHING beats meta's u-tilt from above save invincible things? i wouldn't know, since i don't have brawl, but this just adds to metaknight's arsenal of awesomeness.

thanks for enlightening me on this tilt of his.

Quez256

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the link, couldn't post since I only have my Wii at the moment.
One other highlight is one clip that shows the dash-a>utilt, which would be a particularly nasty combo if the % is right.

Top Bottom