• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MetaKnight's Weaknesses

JoJoRukus

Smash Apprentice
No projectiles, but frankly I think he shouldn't have a problem making a move on someone spamming projectiles anyway.

High damage output, low launch power... but if you damage someone enough, eventually it might not matter what your power is. :D

ReadySetGo

Smash Ace
Um play someone who plays Marth. Marth's attacks are far more powerful and equally as fast, plus Marth still has some really nice priority and disjointed hitboxes.

Also, MK has no solid kill moves.

iMichael

Smash Lord
He is missing power....that is all.

Kill moves: Up-B, Fsmash

combos: fair, fair, fair fair, fair, fair etc.

combos: uair, uair, uair, uair, uair etc.

combos: fair, fair, fair, fair downB....that will cause you to die....so do it right on his/her last stock and impress the crowd.

thats all i can get so far

Drack

Smash Apprentice
Metaknight's weaknesses?

-Light as hell, easy to KO outright. All the recovery options he has don't matter if you get hit into the sidewall or off the top. Does not fare well in free for alls.

-No projectile

-Killing power is a weakness, but not a very significant one. Uair -> Up+B, or even Up+B alone is a great killer, as is glide attack, as is fsmash, as is dsmash -> edgeguard, or edgeguarding in general, especially with dair. Metaknight has kill options, significantly more than, say, Zero Suit Samus.

UnSaxon51

Smash Journeyman
NNID
UnSaxon51
3DS FC
0619-3482-4034
Switch FC
SW 1864 9526 0695
So far, his has two major weaknesses that I have been able to determine.

1) As been stated several times, his killing power is fairly limited. He is almost exclusively limited to Up-B, Fsmash, and Dsmash. This is partially balanced by his excellent edgeguarding ability, though this takes some effort to pull off effectively.

2) Despite having a sword, his range is only slightly above average. Characters with disjointed hitboxes will give him trouble, namely Marth, Ike, DeDeDe, Lucario, and (to a lesser extent) Ness and Lucas. His priority is about on par with all of these characters, but their extra range will usually beat him out.

I need to test out some more to see about getting around these, but just throwing my two cents in.

MeestaWombat

Smash Rookie
i think metaknight is overrated. he is only "broken" in the sense that his attack speed is ridiculous. his output of attacks makes it appear that he is really impressive when he really can't do much to kill anyone.

i won't go as far to say he's BAD. he is definitely one of the more user friendly characters, but i think even good ikes or d3's can do the job if they're patient enough. worry about pit! that kid is troubled.

drSuper

Smash Apprentice
He definitely lacks major KO moves as you guys have stated.
However against other light characters I have been having some luck with his uair knocking them while they are up high on the map

Zeyeth

Smash Cadet
A KO move that I frequent is the slash out of the glide. It is another type of attack not available unless you're gliding. it kills at VERY decent rates. But from what I see, He can edge hog well and even WoP to a degree since his recovery is so nice. He's one of those characters that are meant to sneakily kill people not "Teh R4p3zors" like my other main, Ike. o.oa

kin3tic-c4jun-3

Smash Ace
Not broken, just harder to play if you ask me. The thing with Meta Knight seems to be that you can rack the damage up pretty quick, and you need to be situational with your KOers. If he had really effective KOers like Ike, then he'd be broken...

Psydon

Smash Journeyman
Metaknight's most glaring weaknesses are his weight (he's lightweight) and lack of killing moves. Even his strongest moves aren't that effective at killing. I've found that I get most of my kills as MK either by gimping recovery or sending my opponent just far enough from the stage that he can't return, as opposed to sending my opponent soaring into the edge of the map.

Staco

Smash Champion
hmm, idiots <<
first, no character is perfect
second, its not like in melee, tiers arent that much this time
third, metaknight looked very good in most matches
I watched about 50 mk videos and saw mk only loose 3 or 4 matches
and doenst matter if he is good or not, because brawl isnt melee
there isnt such a different between all the character powers ;)

MeestaWombat

Smash Rookie
hmm, idiots <<
first, no character is perfect
second, its not like in melee, tiers arent that much this time
third, metaknight looked very good in most matches
I watched about 50 mk videos and saw mk only loose 3 or 4 matches
and doenst matter if he is good or not, because brawl isnt melee
there isnt such a different between all the character powers ;)
the game has been out for less than a week, and less than a month in japan. we don't know the extent of the disparities between characters at this moment. anyway, if i'm not mistaken, this thread isn't really about tiers in the first place...

on a side note, i'd say this game is more balanced than melee, but after using ike and fighting a complete noob when he was pit, i think it's fair to claim this game isn't perfect.

Grining_Ghoul

Smash Apprentice
Well then, with pretty much everyone agreeing on two things:
1. He lacks power
2. He lacks kill moves

It's official what his biggest and most obvious flaws are! I used him and to tell the truth am not very fond of him i'd rather use Pit or Ike aside of my mainer Link when it comes to another swordsman in brawl.

:3

sesshomaru

Smash Journeyman
so he just busted in this thread, called us idiots, and rambled about something else entirely?? epic fail. id ban.

on topic, yes weight and killing power are his overall cons but i think his biggest problem in a fight, is a ditto. mk is very good against pretty much every character but himself and this is soon going to be a huge problem as more people begin to main him. this problem also goes much deeper than just "oh my mk got beat by the better mk." no, mk dittos are horrible because after u fair u get hit by a fair. the stupidity continues on like this until ur match ends and neither player really ever held a lead, one just happened to land that last dsmash.

just wait, sucky mk dittos are on the horizon and they threaten to piss alot of people off. practice ur ikes people.

cHooKay

Smash Journeyman
In a general sense, I believe Meta is weak against people who have extended hitboxes like Mario, Ike, DDD. But, Meta is great against people who don't have that . I think Sakurai intentionally made Meta in order to destroy Mario, I can really do much against that. (****it...)

orochizoolander

Smash Rookie
I main MK and been playing with him all day today and yesterday so with my limited experience his lack of reliable KO moves and lightweight are his main weaknesses though that's fair considering he has great recovery, racks up damage fast, amazing priority especially on nair and fair.

His best KO moves is down smash and to a lesser extent forward smash.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
No projectiles and being a light character are the 2 most obvious weaknesses that Meta Knight has. He does have less range than those two annoying Fire Emblem characters too, or at least that's what my Golden Meta Knight says.

Tonyyyyyy

Smash Cadet
One of the lightest characters in the game. + his attack range vs Marth (whom I main). Not too sure how he compares to other players with a comparable range. I'll have to try him out with my Falco when I get home to see how his lack of projectiles fairs vs falcos lazzzerzzz.

HeroXL

Smash Journeyman
so he just busted in this thread, called us idiots, and rambled about something else entirely?? epic fail. id ban.

on topic, yes weight and killing power are his overall cons but i think his biggest problem in a fight, is a ditto. mk is very good against pretty much every character but himself and this is soon going to be a huge problem as more people begin to main him. this problem also goes much deeper than just "oh my mk got beat by the better mk." no, mk dittos are horrible because after u fair u get hit by a fair. the stupidity continues on like this until ur match ends and neither player really ever held a lead, one just happened to land that last dsmash.

just wait, sucky mk dittos are on the horizon and they threaten to piss alot of people off. practice ur ikes people.
You could say the same about any character...

sesshomaru

Smash Journeyman
true but i really feel mk suffers the worse. two good mk players goin for aerials at the same time and the game just seems to give the hit randomly. really gets irritating fast.

everlasting yayuhzz

Smash Champion
I don't see the whole "LACK UV FINASHURS" I kill just fine with him. It really isn't that hard to get a kill. Dsmash, fmash, up+b, gliding attack, edge gimp, uair off the top, uair into up+b, ect. It's really easy actually. As of right now, I'd say he's the best in the game.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Meta Knight lacks projectiles, but his smash attacks are quite fast. He also has great recovery thanks to his gliding capabilities.

If he gets that Smash Ball, attack from a distance, because a good Meta Knight player won't use that Final Smash unless he's real close to his target.

Overall, Meta Knight is one of the best fighters out there.

Link67

Smash Rookie
Personally I find him very good to play with, his lack of KO power can easily be rectified by his speed, sure if your just going to run and slash at someone senselessly he will eat you alive, but MK has a supreme ability to dish off quick combos while jumping and evading all around your opponents, his ability to attack while in the air is great.

I find myself much better at playing with him when I am jumping and dashing all over the place while attacking, jumping and dashing while comboing and D-Smashing is the best way to go with a character like MK.

Orpheus

Smash Cadet
-Light weighted, slightly heavier than Kirby.

-No range attacks

-Does not have a good KO move until the other player have a high percent rate.

Top Bottom