• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Metamorphosis: The Universal Yoshi Matchup Discussion Thread

D

Deleted member

Hades is ranked top 30 on AiB ladder...
obviously he is not mid level on wifi.

Dair ***** i dunno what ur talking about delta, and that kind of camping doesnt work.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I recall that at one time, WiFi was generally accepted as forming a ground level for the MU. I recall Bwett vs. Xyro(Think it was those 2) on WiFi was big, and was accepted. Times sure change. =P

I also disagree with how well Ness can exploit the blindspot. Shaky seconds Yoshi can I've yet to have too much difficulty beating his Ness. I've told countless Ness mains about it and still beaten them without much problem. =/

MX778

Smash Journeyman
Our grab ***** Ness all day.
Yoshi has the advantage on the ground all the way.

But, what about the PK thunder mindgames? :oo
Can't forget about that. :p

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
That reminds me. I still don't believe that we are disadvantaged against Samus. I cannot even fathom that. >_>

@MX778: Mindgames are player-based and should not take part in match-up discussions. Still, he does get a lot of opportunities to use it, and sometimes it'd be hard to dodge it.

:069:

MX778

Smash Journeyman
I recall that at one time, WiFi was generally accepted as forming a ground level for the MU. I recall Bwett vs. Xyro(Think it was those 2) on WiFi was big, and was accepted. Times sure change. =P

I also disagree with how well Ness can exploit the blindspot. Shaky seconds Yoshi can I've yet to have too much difficulty beating his Ness. I've told countless Ness mains about it and still beaten them without much problem. =/
Delta, Uffe told me that you whooped his Ness' ***. Was it a ladder match? :oo
I've yet to play all you fellow Yoshi mains. <3
Except for HadesBlade that is. :p

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Our grab ***** Ness all day.
Yoshi has the advantage on the ground all the way.

But, what about the PK thunder mindgames? :oo
Can't forget about that. :p
I'm starting to feel we should move to the Ness MU discussion soon...

Anyways, you can just throw an egg at Ness. If it hits the head of the PKT it's nullified. If you hit Ness it goes away. Yay~

If you're in the air above Ness, it's a bit more tricky. You can Down B through it by hitting the head, or you can try and escape it. You'll probably take damage. =P

At mid range, don't recklessly approach a PKT using Ness. You might just get PKT2'd and get killed early.

That reminds me. I still don't believe that we are disadvantaged against Samus. I cannot even fathom that. >_>

@MX778: Mindgames are player-based and should not take part in match-up discussions. Still, he does get a lot of opportunities to use it, and sometimes it'd be hard to dodge it.

I'm no expert, but I have problems vs. Samus. >_>''

I disagree. PKT is a large part of Ness's game and while mainly being mindgames, it should be discussed in a broader sense because Ness's use it a lot and have plenty of chances to do so.

MX778

Smash Journeyman

I know, but if the Ness uses that and PK Flash right, then that pracitcally ***** our offstage game. Especially if we're returning from below the stage. I haven't seen too many Ness' do this though.

Silent Beast

Smash Journeyman
I'm 99% sure Bwett vs. Xyro was IRL. Xyro did play several Yoshis on WiFi just to give a quick idea of the matchup, but he did emphasize WiFi could not totally capture the matchup, and that his IRL experiences vs. Bwett and, I believe, Furbs, were much stronger evidence of Samus's advantage over Yoshi.

Metatitan

Smash Master

Florida has no samus mains and you've never been outside of Florida. No **** you can't fathom something you've never experienced.

Wifi only gives you a GENERAL IDEA on what the matchup MIGHT be like. If you're SMART OFFLINE player, then you can see some of the stuff they would do that would **** you offline.

hadesblade

Smash Lord
Florida has no samus mains and you've never been outside of Florida. No **** you can't fathom something you've never experienced.

Wifi only gives you a GENERAL IDEA on what the matchup MIGHT be like. If you're SMART OFFLINE player, then you can see some of the stuff they would do that would **** you offline.
I beat ismar in a mm, and while he might not be the best samus mains he isn't a bad one either. I don't see samus being anywhere near 65:35, maybe 55:45 if not completely neutral.

Shiri

Smash Chump
I beat ismar in a mm, and while he might not be the best samus mains he isn't a bad one either. I don't see samus being anywhere near 65:35, maybe 55:45 if not completely neutral.
:yoshi: A dissenting opinion?!

BURN THE WITCH

P.S. - Marik, if you have a vision for what you want your thread to discuss (this is your thread, after all), please feel free to direct the flow of discussion.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member

I'm 99% sure Bwett vs. Xyro was IRL. Xyro did play several Yoshis on WiFi just to give a quick idea of the matchup, but he did emphasize WiFi could not totally capture the matchup, and that his IRL experiences vs. Bwett and, I believe, Furbs, were much stronger evidence of Samus's advantage over Yoshi.
I seriously doubt Ismar knows the MU/is as good as xyro
Read below!

I can't see the matchup as anything other than 65:35, maybe 70:30.
The champion has spoken^

Chaco

Never Logs In
Bwett and Xyro live in Texas. Bwett goes to HOBOs, which Xyro hosts henceforth:

Xyro and Bwett played on Wifi, silly guys.

auroreon

Smash Ace
The champion has spoken^
Whilst I don't disagree with the 65:35 matchup as I lack experience against Samus mains who know the Yoshi matchup, I think that taking one players oppinion of the matchup as the be and end all in a matchup discussion is deffinatly not the way forward.

.Marik

is a social misfit
Marik, I forgot you must have played Niko a lot. He is fun to play. :D
Yeah, Niko has such an interesting playstyle. He's a sh*tload of fun to be around, too. He may seem stony on SmashBoards, but Niko's so nice when you get to know him personally. Our set together was amazing, but Fair>Yoshi. Haha, it was a lot of fun to play him. :yoshi:

FALCO IS EVEN STOP BEING BAD YOSHI MAINS!
Freakin...
Even? It's 55:45 at least.

P.S. - Marik, if you have a vision for what you want your thread to discuss (this is your thread, after all), please feel free to direct the flow of discussion.
This is fine, but please refrain from turning this thread into a drama-fest, guys. <3

D

Deleted member

You think we have the advantage marik?????
Thats just silly.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Whilst I don't disagree with the 65:35 matchup as I lack experience against Samus mains who know the Yoshi matchup, I think that taking one players oppinion of the matchup as the be and end all in a matchup discussion is deffinatly not the way forward.
I agree with you. ONE SAMUS vs ONE yoshi should not determine the ratio.

However.......

Me vs bwett is all you guys have. Most if not all of you have admitted that the samus you played had little or no yoshi exp. And on the samus front its the same thing. Me and bwett are the ONLY ones who have HUGE amounts of exp vs each other. We are not just some casual players from tx. We are the BEST in our respective fields(well bwett quit yoshi).

SO yea our words isnt LAW but its as close as it gets untill the OTHERS(samus players and yoshi players) fight on fair grounds.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
For the record, I know(or at least knew) the match-up pretty well. I just had to get used to avoiding eggs and U-air after not playing any for a while(the last one was rel12 I think, and he quit like a month ago). Hades beat me 2-0 clean in our MM, then I beat him 2-0 in our tourney match like 5 minutes after. lol

As far as the match-up goes in her favor, 70-30(65-35 sounds a bit more accurate) at best, 60-40 at worst.

bigman40

Smash Master
For the record, I know(or at least knew) the match-up pretty well. I just had to get used to avoiding eggs and U-air after not playing any for a while(the last one was rel12 I think, and he quit like a month ago). Hades beat me 2-0 clean in our MM, then I beat him 2-0 in our tourney match like 5 minutes after. lol

As far as the match-up goes in her favor, 70-30(65-35 sounds a bit more accurate) at best, 60-40 at worst.
Ismar be so sexy :D

Furbs

Smash Journeyman
blam

Meta Knight - Disadvantage
Snake - Disadvantage
Wario - Even (completely stage dependant too)
Falco - Disadvantage
Diddy Kong - Disadvantage
King Dedede - Even
Marth - Disadvantage
Pikachu - Even
Olimar - Advantage
Ice Climbers - Advantage
R.O.B. - Disadvantage
Kirby - Even
Lucario - Disadvantage
Zero Suit Samus - Advantage
Toon Link - Disadvantage
Pit - Even
Donkey Kong - Disadvantage
Peach - Even
Mr. Game And Watch- Even
Luigi - Even
Fox - Even
Wolf - Disadvantage
Sonic - Advantage
Sheik - Even
Bowser - Advantage
Zelda - Even
Pokémon Trainer - ADVANTAGEEEEE
Ike - Even
Lucas - Advantage
Mario - Disadvantage
Ness - Even
Yoshi - ------
Samus - Disadvantage
Jigglypuff - Advantage
Captain Falcon - Advantage
Link - Even
Ganondorf - Advantage

Fair really does **** yoshi, the fact that her Dair hits yoshi's blindspot doesn't help much either :dizzy:
that an her dair is THE BEST ****ING MOVE EVER!!!!!

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU------------

auroreon

Smash Ace
I agree with you. ONE SAMUS vs ONE yoshi should not determine the ratio.

However.......

Me vs bwett is all you guys have. Most if not all of you have admitted that the samus you played had little or no yoshi exp. And on the samus front its the same thing. Me and bwett are the ONLY ones who have HUGE amounts of exp vs each other. We are not just some casual players from tx. We are the BEST in our respective fields(well bwett quit yoshi).

SO yea our words isnt LAW but its as close as it gets untill the OTHERS(samus players and yoshi players) fight on fair grounds.
Yea, totally see what your saying.
Hopefully other skilled players of both characters will play and be able to offer more feedback in future, but right now you and bwett is the best and only indication of the matchup that we have.
There is only one Samus main in my country (as far as I know), but we go to the same tournaments reguarly so I should be able to offer at least some feedback on the matchup soon.

.Marik

is a social misfit
^ Sago is a beast.

Beat our top MetaKnight @ EVO, I believe it was.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: I was thinking about Furbz just last week.

So it's clear that the western U.S. Yoshis clearly do not enjoy the Snake matchup because you have lots of Snake players out there. I'm not sure about the midwest, but in the east we only have Jesse and Candy (who I would really like to play at P4) and like a few others--I can see why you guys would clearly not favor the Snake matchup.

I do enjoy that Furbz also listed the Ice Climbers matchup as an advantage for Yoshi. :D

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804

ily
There is only one Samus main in my country (as far as I know), but we go to the same tournaments reguarly so I should be able to offer at least some feedback on the matchup soon.
Would that, by chance, be KJ?
Namesearch more plz

PLEASE ISMAR

just kidding you obviously lurk the great old yoshi boards alot
Ilurkeverywheregetyourfactsstraight

D

Deleted member

I would consider myself very good at the snake matchup, and i believe it is snakes favor.
THey just have to play super walky..

Metatitan

Smash Master

Dair sucks when people know how to SDI out of it, if you do I think you can Uair her. The good news is that usually only the last part hits yoshi so it doesn't matter :D

auroreon

Smash Ace
Would that, by chance, be KJ?
Why yes, it would.
How would you class him as a Samus main? From watching him play I get the impression he is pretty decent, but other than videos of Xyro and a few other Samus mains I've watched I don't really have anything to compare him to seeing as I haven't actually played him yet.

Furbs

Smash Journeyman
Bwett agrees about ic's just to name drop and add a result to his name search :p

I can go into matchup specifics if u wish

also at meta, it's not just the spike it hit to the side auto cancels and has hitstun just watch xyros vids

Top Bottom