• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

**metrocon** July 24th Twilight Showdon

OverLade

Smash Hero
True. So what do you think the turnout will be for Metrocon?
Lots of people probably long forgotton or that we never knew about are likely to show up. Plus many anime fans my play brawl casually and happen to show up.

Depending on how much the tournament is stressed/advertised/hyped the turnout could be much larger than last time (us only having one setup and running so late probably contributed to a couple people not entering). Anyway all speculation, but this time Orlando/SFL brawl and melee will be coming which will boost attendance hugely.

SaintAnger

Smash Journeyman
This is an email I received from a new guy who appears to be running Metrocon's game room. PLEASE GIVE ME YOUR THOUGHTS!

"Hello Jon,

My name is Joshua Campbell of Storm Gaming League. I've been designated as the Tournament Coordinator for the Metrocade game room. I understand that you are interested in hosting the Super Smash Bros tournaments. This would consist of just Melee and Brawl, correct? Could you give an estimate as to how many setups you think you would be able to have/provide? If it's a lot, I would like to designate an area for you.

Also, do you remember what time last year's tournaments were ran? If so, was it a good time or is a later or earlier time preferred? I will do my best to try to accommodate.

As far as entry fees are concerned, for those who do not have a Metrocon pass, I got with Doug and we agreed on a one-time $10 venue fee to enter any tournaments. That fee will be given toward the game room. Each tournament for all games will cost $5 or $10 each and 100% of the entry fee will go toward the pot to be split 70/20/10 (or however). What are your thoughts?

Appreciate your feedback. Let me know.

Thanks,

Joshua Campbell
Event Coordinator"

nevershootme

Smash Master
This is an email I received from a new guy who appears to be running Metrocon's game room. PLEASE GIVE ME YOUR THOUGHTS!

"Hello Jon,

My name is Joshua Campbell of Storm Gaming League. I've been designated as the Tournament Coordinator for the Metrocade game room. I understand that you are interested in hosting the Super Smash Bros tournaments. This would consist of just Melee and Brawl, correct? Could you give an estimate as to how many setups you think you would be able to have/provide? If it's a lot, I would like to designate an area for you.

Also, do you remember what time last year's tournaments were ran? If so, was it a good time or is a later or earlier time preferred? I will do my best to try to accommodate.

As far as entry fees are concerned, for those who do not have a Metrocon pass, I got with Doug and we agreed on a one-time $10 venue fee to enter any tournaments. That fee will be given toward the game room. Each tournament for all games will cost $5 or $10 each and 100% of the entry fee will go toward the pot to be split 70/20/10 (or however). What are your thoughts?

Appreciate your feedback. Let me know.

Thanks,

Joshua Campbell
Event Coordinator"
that guy, his username is tyger. might as well do it 60/30/10. and keep it at $5 door, $10 entry for those without con passes. if they're greedy on venue fee. then just deal with it

SaintAnger

Smash Journeyman
Here is my reply to him:

Hi Josh,

As far as how many set ups there will be I will have to get back to you for it depends on what people bring. When I get a solid number I will let you know.

The opening day of the con I was planning on doing SSFIV, BlazBlue CvS2, and MvC2 followed by the Smash tournaments on Saturday. Now, the cover charge I talked to Doug about was that Metro would take 30% of the pot. Charging $10 for a door fee will not go over well with the pro community. I have been doing this for almost 6 years and I had to charge at one point a $5 door fee. While they found it inconvienent, they did pay. I will talk with the community for both tournaments and see what they have to say. I have always done my tournaments by what they consider fair since it is their money and time they will be spending.

I use MLG and CPL for all regulatuons as well as some modifications on Evo's set for rules on my tournaments. I do this because that is what the pro players are used to and compete regulary in nationals.

I will get some input from the players and message you back.

Thanks Josh.

And here is his back to me I'm not too sure about what's going on at Metrocon this year. Seems like it less focused on the players and more about money Ipost these cause I want the players to know what's going on. I don't like keeping you guys io the dark. I do not think it's fair. I was going to do SSFIV, MvC2, CvS2, and Blazblue on Friday for Playstation.:

Jon,

If you don't have a solid number, please try to estimate. We need to make sure that we have enough room to accommodate the additional setups. I've been to events where additional setups can get to as many as 20-30. If it's that many, then we need to prepare accordingly.

In regards to the $10 venue fee, I spoke with Doug on the phone and he has given me the authority to decide on the best choice when it comes to entry/venue fees. I would like to keep everything as consistent as possible. It's understood through the competitive gaming community that some venues may charge a one-time venue fee for entrance. With their venue fee paid, they can access the game room for all 3 days. I'd also like to plan to have a BYOC area for them to setup for casuals. Once paid, they can enter multiple tournaments for $10 each and the entire pot will be used toward the prize money to split 70/20/10 (or however). Please also mention the fact that there will be many multiple consoles and games available to play at the convention as well. We'd like to use this as an opportunity to bring the community together and also support Metrocon in providing this area for us to hold these tournaments.

As far as what games are to be on what days, it was already planned for Smash Bros, SSF4, Tekken 6, DDR Extreme and possibly BlazBlue: Continuum Shift to be on Saturday. Any other fighting games will take place on Friday night. We will be looking for additional TOs. As I'm sure you are quite capable, I would like each game to have a separate TO. Since you are well-experienced with Smash Bros, I can have you take care of Melee and Brawl. Do you plan on running both singles and doubles? And what's the timeframe that you may need? See if you can come up with an estimate of how many are to show.

Just to have you understand how I am, my priority here is organization and preparation. The more to know ahead of time, the better we can prepare and the smoother things will be. If you have any problems or suggestions, please feel free to share. If you don't agree with any of the above, please let me know and I will see if we can come up with some type of compromise. Please share with the community and let me know how they feel. (Of course, they are going to want a free venue, but to my understanding, it's quite understandable to have venue fees throughout the community)

Thanks,
Joshua Campbell

Tyger

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys. Figured I'd give a summary. :)

Door Fee - $10 (Free if you have a Metrocon pass)
Tournament Fee - $10 per entry

I figured more people would be happier with a door fee rather than take money from the prize pot. I'd already discussed the $10 door fee with the guy in-charge. If he's cool with $5, I'll change, but for now, assume it's $10.

We need an estimate as far as who can bring setups. I want to coordinate a BYOC area for Smash tournaments (and other gaming as well).

Please reply and I will try to keep everyone informed.

blindghost

Smash Apprentice
wow this thread has died... is this still happening?

And the blocks of text are a little overwhelming.

Anyway... yummynbeefy has a point, but I don't know how the con should even have knowledge of how big the pot is in order to **** it.

Another thing, gigs did pot ****... idk how much it was. i think it was 40/20/10/ 30->house.

Door fee: scares little people
Pot ****: scares the big people
However, it is now the norm to just charge a door fee and get on with it.

VSC.D-Torr

Smash Hero
From the SRK thread:

Metrocade STORM, Tampa FL (July 23-25)

Storm Gaming League, along with Metro Conventions (aka MetroCon), is proud to introduce:

Metrocade Storm!

Venue Fee: $10 (FREE with MetroCon pass) - Includes access to the Metrocade Game Room all weekend long.
Tournament Fee: $10 per entry

Tampa Convention Center
333 South Franklin St
Tampa, FL 33602 (map)

Tournaments Available
Tatsunoko vs Capcom (Wii) - Fri 6:00pm
Super Smash Bros Melee/Brawl (Gamecube/Wii) - Sat 1:00pm
Tekken 6 (Xbox 360) - Sat 1:00pm
Super Street Fighter IV (Xbox 360) - Sat 3:00pm
DDR Extreme - Qualifying/Sat 1:00pm, Competition/Sat 2:30pm

BRING YOUR OWN CONTROLLER!

Visit the following website for Rules, Registration, Schedule and Prize information:
Storm Gaming League

-----

Tournament Hosts:

Super Street Fighter IV - Joshua Campbell, Christopher Austin
Super Smash Bros Melee/Brawl - Jon Anger
Tekken 6 - Joshua Campbell, Christopher Austin
Tatsunoko vs Capcom - Joshua Campbell, Christopher Austin
DDR Extreme - Ryan Beckman

-----

Equipment Needed:
(Specify Unlocks, Cords, etc)

Huge thanks to EXPCON for supplying monitors and Xbox 360s for the event. Check out their Video Game/Anime Convention located in St Augustine, FL in October 2010 at the following site: EXP Con

TV - EXPCON, Tyger (2)
Wii - Tyger
Gamecube - Tyger
360 - Tyger
SSF4 - Tyger
TKN6 - Tyger
TVC -
Brawl - Tyger
Melee - Tyger

-----

Registered Attendees:
You can register at Registration at Storm Gaming League

Super Street Fighter 4
Chris Austin

Super Smash Bros Brawl/Melee

Tekken 6

Tatsunoko vs Capcom

DDR Extreme

yummynbeefy

Smash Champion
whoa ddrextreme and melee are at the same time

god thats like choosing between banana ice cream and peanut butter ice cream oh both are so good :D

i guess ddr extreme it is cuz ddr tournaments NEVER happen anymore

Tyger

Smash Apprentice
Sorry guys. I don't get on Smashboards much. Bad habit of mine.

yummynbeefy, you can enter both!

This event is DEFINITELY STILL HAPPENING!

There's a quick change. TvC will be on Saturday as well. I will have signup sheets prepared for Friday. Hope some of you guys can bring some setups with ya! I'll cut the venue fee in half. :)

Takao9411

Smash Apprentice
If I was going to buy a pass for the whole Metrocon, would I still get a discount for bringing a set up?

Tyger

Smash Apprentice
If you already have a pass, I can't discount anything else. We don't want to take away from the cash pot.

Just consider it a benefit in getting the tournament completed quicker if you bring your setups.

Please spread the word so we can have an awesome turnout. :)

Thanks guys!

yummynbeefy

Smash Champion
BTW BIG NEWS ABOUT THIS
if you need housing i can definately house you instead of the hotel rooms if you wish

i can house you for free and i may even be able to get you breakfast for free

also

if you wanna practice for this then why dont you come down to my smashfest the day before metrocon

doors open @ 2 for my fest

10109 whisper pointe dr. Tampa FL 33647

hope to see everyone there

Takao9411

Smash Apprentice
wait do i need to purchase a ticket in order to go to this?
You either buy a Metrocon entrance ticket-thingie ($30)
or pay for just Smashing ($10 I think?)

I normally bring a set up to everything I go to, but this weekend is just too hectic for me to bother. ):

Tyger

Smash Apprentice
Once again, if you don't have a Metrocon pass, it's a $10 venue fee. And $10 per tournament. We have Melee and Brawl.

Last call! We need your setups! I have 40 people signed up so far! Bring a setup and get $5 off your venue fee (if you are paying it).

Appreciate your assistance. Starts at 1pm today!

Top Bottom