• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Metroid: Other M

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Personally, I think Samus' actress gets better as you progress in the game. I don't know if that's deliberate or it was the actress becoming more familiar with the character.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
It never bothered me. Tidus from FFX was bad, shes pretty alright in my book.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I never got to play much of FFX (got all the way to getting Wakka in my party), but I'm willing to bet that the laughing there was meant to be performed like that. I mean, they laugh perfectly normal at the end.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Point is, FFX had terrible voice acting. Like terrible terrible. Great game, though. OtherM really isn't that bad, and compared to some really bad ones, it's actually great. I dunno though, I like Samus' voice. Just didn't know she had a freckle/mole on her chin

Also, the controls being refined, once I wiped down my sensor bar, it worked fine for me. I'd love more games like this so much...

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
^ True. though I'm a fan of D-padding it up XD. I'm a hardcore dinosaur gamer.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
Nah no way. I was actually a huge fan of the control decision... made things quite a bit more intense for me at least.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Alright so....

I got to "The Scene". By that I mean, "Samus freaks out over Ridley" Here is what I have to say:

1) She did seem kind of scared in MP1
2) In MP3 she was more worried over Dark Samus, I believe
3) In SM she WATCHED HIM DIE for the first time, and saw him turn to dust.
4) Adam being there probably re-awoke memories of the past and what not.

All that said, seeing him again ontop of all that was going through her head probably caused her to finally have some sort of a breakdown. It happens. Honestly, for Nintendo, Metroid is a good storyline. It fits so much better than Zelda or Mario ever will. And Other-M defiantly ties up the loose ends to how fusion happened and what not.

Also, I'd like to add for the story to exist, not every game can be isolated. MP3/Other M was a little necessary, and I didn't mind it. Actually, I'd love to see Team Ninja make more Metroid games. (Maybe redo the older ones?) My only complaints are:

- No pixel hunting. Please.
- Not so linear. This game didn't have to be linear, and if they did MetroidNES or Super Metroid, it definitely doesn't need to be linear.
- Option to skip cutscenes

That's really it. I'm feeling a 8.5 like Gamespot said. Those things really held it back, but it was still/is a great game to get. It definitely doesn't deserve all the hate it's getting, either. And for the record, this isn't really an easy Metroid either. It and Prime 1 rival in difficulty to me.

Just my 2 cents~ (Oh and, I like Samus' voice, so meh!)

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
also other m is a helllla easy game :/ spam of sense dodge breaks this game, and the fact that you can snipe a lot of enemies from great distance with missles and they can never touch you. hard mode was a walk in the park for me

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Eh. It's okay. To me it goes:

(In Difficulty) Metroid Prime > Metroid Prime 3 (both hypermode of course) > Echoes (Hypermode) > Other M (hard) > Metroid/Super Metroid > Fusion.

Fusion was so easy to me. Sense dodge does make other m pretty easy, but the sidescrollers were always easier to me. Except the MB fight in SM. Ugh.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
I always thought the Prime series games were easier than the side scrollers, personally...

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
O.o Really? I found Metroid Prime a lot harder than MB. Then again, I play old old games more than new, so maybe that's why <.<

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
MB wasn't that much of a pain, IMO. By that time you're so powered up and experienced that it kinda dulls the challenge.
coughPhantooncough

The Primes on Hard mode are usually still hard, even if you're a seasoned player. (Boost Guardian for the original MP2, Meta Ridley in MPT, doing a "Hyper-modeless" run in MP3, etc.) On the other hand, could just be your opinions, or you could just be better at one.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
This game is getting ALOT of hate apparently. Everyone comparing it to Prime and SM, though. Yes this game has flaws but...god... O_o.

I'd say Prime/SM> P2/P3 > Otherm/Fusion (Metroid/II go..where idk)

Fusion being the lowest is still an amazing game, just not the best. I don't know, personally I like Other M a lot, and if Team Ninja fixed all the problems and loading times and invisible walls, they could make a great game.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
I only noticed the loading times like... twice. It seemed fine to me.

Yeah, this game was probably less "fun" than the Prime series and such, but I still think it's a great game. However, I don't think it is quite "game of the year" material.

:069:

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
^ No, and I think Nintendo knew that (to some extent)

To me (to me) it seems like Metroid may have been rushed due to all the other releases. Since the Prime Trilogy gave the series it's 15 minutes of fame, I'm willing to bet Zelda/Mario/Black and White are getting a lot more attention.

Also, the loading time happened to me quite a bit. Hmmm?

Phantom7

Banned via Warnings
I've had it happen while opening doors, but only very occasionally. I never found it to be a problem.

This may be a bit of a spoiler as far as plot goes, so I suggest only discuss this if you have completed the game:
Is it a coincidence that in the title "Other M", after moving the M before the word "Other", it will spell "Mother"? I believe this is possible due to the fact that MB is Mother Brain revived in human form.

UncleSam

Smash Master
This may be a bit of a spoiler as far as plot goes, so I suggest only discuss this if you have completed the game:
Is it a coincidence that in the title "Other M", after moving the M before the word "Other", it will spell "Mother"? I believe this is possible due to the fact that MB is Mother Brain revived in human form.
I had the same feeling, or that the metroids see her as their mother, but basically the same concept.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I just attempted to watch Other M. The gameplay doesn't flow terribly well with the cutscenes, mostly in terms of bosses since the gameplay is cut up like it would be in a trailer. Overall, though, it was pretty enjoyable...right up until Chapter 24 when Samus walked into a doorway and sat there not doing anything for 5 minutes before I got tired of waiting for her and just exited.

I tried going into the cutscene separately and it still happened, so I'm not sure if it's my disk (too lazy to clean it and try again), my Wii, or just a glitch. I'm a little irked about being cut off about 10 minutes from the end, though.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Yeah...at about 12:30 in this video, where Samus keeps running, my game has her stop and just stand there.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
^ It's good to view cutscenes, as they are great quality, and Samus is ...beautiful. But as a movie? Meh...

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
^ It's good to view cutscenes, as they are great quality, and Samus is ...beautiful. But as a movie? Meh...
I don't know, I think it's a cool concept. If it has a fleshed-out plot and all, I don't see why it's so odd to watch it as a movie.

Top Bottom