• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Mewtwo Q&A Thread (Check Here)

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
Yes, you should be able to fight Mewtwos. It's what a lot of us have been doing, For Glory is populated by the hype of Mewtwo
Guess I'm sacrificing the ability to PKHeX pokemon soon D:

BUT F**K YES!!

StarGalaxy777

Smash Apprentice
NNID
StarGalaxy
Question of my day: Is it too soon to ask whats Mewtwo's general gameplan or playstyle he functions in this iteration of Smash I feel like I havent found a concrete way of playing him so I wanted to get everyone elses thoughts on the matter it just seems like everyone I face just does thier own thing almost like then Smash 4 was on release day....again too soon to ask?

DrRek

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dr.Rek
3DS FC
0318-9137-4424
Question of my day: Is it too soon to ask whats Mewtwo's general gameplan or playstyle he functions in this iteration of Smash I feel like I havent found a concrete way of playing him so I wanted to get everyone elses thoughts on the matter it just seems like everyone I face just does thier own thing almost like then Smash 4 was on release day....again too soon to ask?
Since M2 is so light it's probably not a great idea to play him overly aggressive, because he can get KOed so early. I'd say spacing with Bair/Fair is a good idea because of the ridiculous reach and power those moves have.
It's probably too early to have a set game plan as of now, and since everyone will play differently regardless. But defenders advantage is something to keep in mind for every character.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
Is there a thread that compares Mewtwo in 4 to Melee Mewtwo? I wanna take a look at it and I want to read people's thoughts because I sure as hell cannot trust the wiki this early into his return to Smash.

Maple42

Smash Apprentice
My friend and I have very differing views on how to play Mewtwo; he thinks we should play as aggressively as possible - pressure at all times by using NAir, FAir, and Shadow Ball's unblockable punishing nature. I think he's more of a defensive character, played like Shulk, where you use your range (Up tilt, forward tilt, down tilt, Shadow Ball) to play semi-aggressively, combined with the projectile to create frame traps. What do you guys think?

(Also, if my friend sees this, I apologize if I accidentally misrepresent your argument : p)

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211

InBOUNDHD

Smash Cadet
So it seems mewtwo is good on stages that have less platforms. Idk this is just my opinion.

W1sh3dG4m3r86

Smash Rookie
NNID
W1sh3dG4m3r86
3DS FC
0473-7807-2083
So even if I don't have the DLC code for Mewtwo, would I still have a chance to be able to fight a Mewtwo on For Glory once I update to the next patch? Preferabbly the 3DS version?
yes haven't you played the latest COD? if you haven't, you can battle people with all this different DLC equipment.

adom4

Smash Lord
NNID
adom15510
3DS FC
3179-6434-6692
F-smash & D-smash look kinda pointless together, are there any advantages using one over the other?

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
Just wondering about Disable setups. At the minute, the best luck I've had is a running following up with it from an uncharged Shadow Ball. I know the move itself is pretty unreliable, but I find it to be a good kill confirm and damage building tool, so I throw it out often as a mix-up since it keeps people on their toes.

F-smash & D-smash look kinda pointless together, are there any advantages using one over the other?
F-Smash is stronger IIRC. But for definate, D-smash has better ledgeguarding properties.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
F-Smash is stronger IIRC. But for definate, D-smash has better ledgeguarding properties.

Also, Down-Smash is a 45 degree angle so it can kill from the top early if you're on a platform. Then again why wouldn't you use the stronger and easier to land U-Smash to kill from the top? D-Smash can hit opponents hanguing on the edge or reaching for the edge.

winner133

Smash Cadet
NNID
winner133
3DS FC
1161-0198-4190
Anybody know how to deal with confusion when a mewtwo does it?

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Anybody know how to deal with confusion when a mewtwo does it?
DI into Mewtwo and F-Air, it hits him before he can perform any attack. I think the only option that can beat it by the other Mewtwo is shielding, and you can double jump after the F-Air to avoid any shield grab or SH aerial follow up. Basically DIng into the opponento into F-Air into double jump is 100% safe.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
So I have a few questions:

1: How was Mewtwo buffed?
2: How was Mewtwo nerfed?
3: Is Mewtwo's tail disjointed?

RoachCake

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RoachCake
3DS FC
2621-3061-7090
Wasn't sure whether to ask this in the social thread or this thread so I'll just ask it here.

When do you think it would be a good time to start watching this character board, cause it seems to me like right now there's nothing but spam threads being made, and I don't want to be notified of stuff that's not going to help contribute to Mewtwo's metagame growth.

I was planning on sharing my future findings (If they haven't already been discovered) for Mewtwo on this board, and I'm thinking about not doing so if it's just going to be buried by a bunch of spam.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Wasn't sure whether to ask this in the social thread or this thread so I'll just ask it here.

When do you think it would be a good time to start watching this character board, cause it seems to me like right now there's nothing but spam threads being made, and I don't want to be notified of stuff that's not going to help contribute to Mewtwo's metagame growth.

I was planning on sharing my future findings (If they haven't already been discovered) for Mewtwo on this board, and I'm thinking about not doing so if it's just going to be buried by a bunch of spam.
I'd say 2-3 weeks after initial release but there's going to be new members once Mewtwo gets released to non CN members, so probably 2-3 weeks from that date which is in 1 week. I'd say give it a whole month before the spam dies out.

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
If you use Confusion on the ground against an opponent who's burned their second jump and before their feet visibly touch the ground, does it restore their second jump? In other words, does it count as them having "landed" or are they still "airborne?"

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
If you use Confusion on the ground against an opponent who's burned their second jump and before their feet visibly touch the ground, does it restore their second jump? In other words, does it count as them having "landed" or are they still "airborne?"
Honestly I don't know it as an 100% fact but at least CPU's do not jump again if you confuse them at the edge of the stage in the same way. I've gimped CPU Little Mac's by doing side-B into down-B and they don't rejump but maybe that's just the CPU programming that doesn't account for that.

VeteranUnderdog

Smash Rookie
NNID
VeteranUnderdog
3DS FC
3110-7027-9609
As much as ive been trying to have mewtwo as one of my secondaries, the most inconsistant thing i notice about his moves are his usmash. It does not hit small characters on the ground whatsoever, but the final hit seems to have an increased horizontal range or something. Is mewtwo just buggy or is the usmash working as intended?

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
As much as ive been trying to have mewtwo as one of my secondaries, the most inconsistant thing i notice about his moves are his usmash. It does not hit small characters on the ground whatsoever, but the final hit seems to have an increased horizontal range or something. Is mewtwo just buggy or is the usmash working as intended?
You mean vertical hitbox. Yes, it's intended for the last hitbox to be Mewtwo's whole body. Why they allowed the move to miss small characters is beyond me, but the move makes up for it in many other ways.

Spirst

Can I still get the glitch moves in 1.0.7? Or can I downgrade my Smash bros? :(
The glitch for using the customs has been patched out. As for downgrading, I know you can do so on 3DS (not sure about Wii U) but I'm not certain how since I've never looked into it.

QUACK DER BRUCHTPILOT

Smash Rookie
The glitch for using the customs has been patched out. As for downgrading, I know you can do so on 3DS (not sure about Wii U) but I'm not certain how since I've never looked into it.
oh ****, thought I could glitch 9.0 classic mode with it.

thanks anyway

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Has anyone found some real combos with Mewtwo. All I've got in training mode was Dtilt > Utilt and double Utilt, and even though it registers Confusion followups as true combos I know its fake. Anything else I try, opponents just get out of it wth ease.

Spirst

Just want to point out that Jab 1 does not truly lead into a footstool. Or at least, I hadn't been able to do it on 1/4 (Hold L) before the opposing player can shield. It's still a good mixup to have if you can pull it off quickly but it's not a true followup.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Just want to point out that Jab 1 does not truly lead into a footstool. Or at least, I hadn't been able to do it on 1/4 (Hold L) before the opposing player can shield. It's still a good mixup to have if you can pull it off quickly but it's not a true followup.
Yea I can't get it off either, but I also can't quite get it as they do on the video, it looks so fast. Are you able to do it like in the video?

Spirst

Yea I can't get it off either, but I also can't quite get it as they do on the video, it looks so fast. Are you able to do it like in the video?
Yeah, I can do it like it is in the video. Timing is tight but very much manageable after a few tries. Hardest part is getting the DJC Disable correctly.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Yeah, I can do it like it is in the video. Timing is tight but very much manageable after a few tries. Hardest part is getting the DJC Disable correctly.
Meh I've been doing the "grounded" DJC Disables for a while now. Also been trying to get disable more into my game lately, I feel like it might have lots of uses.

I am about 6 hours away from being able to actually play Mewtwo, although I have to sleep too so make that like 16 hours.

Last edited:

Drippy

Smash Ace
Not a Mewtwo player but how do you break out of Confusion? My friends occasionally get off a random Confuse on me sometimes and I can't seem to mash out of it fast enough and they usually get a free-smash. Is there like a percentage chart where it tells you when you can mash out of it before you have enough time to hit, I mean obviously at high percents I probably won't break out of it.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Not a Mewtwo player but how do you break out of Confusion? My friends occasionally get off a random Confuse on me sometimes and I can't seem to mash out of it fast enough and they usually get a free-smash. Is there like a percentage chart where it tells you when you can mash out of it before you have enough time to hit, I mean obviously at high percents I probably won't break out of it.
That's Disable, Confusion is his other special.

As for mashing out of it, Disable was buffed greatly in this game, even at 0% if Mewtwo buffers an uncharged Smash right after the Disable it will hit no matter how fast you can mash out of it. Basically the more % you have the more your friend can charge his smash, but the smash is going to hit whether you mash out or not unless your friend messes up.

As for how to avoid the attack, Disable is actually quite hard to land.

It's a projectile that can be reflected or ducked under with ease. It doesn't stun you when you're in the air or facing backwards. Basically you have to be in front of Mewtwo, looking at him and not jumping, ducking or shielding. It's quite hard to land Disable for the Mewtwo unless you carelessly throw a lot of laggy moves out and whiff them, if this is the case then you should start learning how to play more safely and strategically.

Last edited:

Drippy

Smash Ace
That's Disable, Confusion is his other special.

As for mashing out of it, Disable was buffed greatly in this game, even at 0% if Mewtwo buffers an uncharged Smash right after the Disable it will hit no matter how fast you can mash out of it. Basically the more % you have the more your friend can charge his smash, but the smash is going to hit whether you mash out or not unless your friend messes up.

As for how to avoid the attack, Disable is actually quite hard to land.

It's a projectile that can be reflected or ducked under with ease. It doesn't stun you when you're in the air or facing backwards. Basically you have to be in front of Mewtwo, looking at him and not jumping, ducking or shielding. It's quite hard to land Disable for the Mewtwo unless you carelessly throw a lot of laggy moves out and whiff them, if this is the case then you should start learning how to play more safely and strategically.
Oh my bad, thanks for the clarification and I guess at least I know now that it's impossible to break out of but I guess that is the reward for a rather high risk move I suppose. I actually have noticed while playing with my friends before that they have casted it on me while I was shielding, facing the other way, or in the air and nothing happened so it's definitely not a overpowered move at all. I do think it's just a fault in my play-style and I'm probably just being to predictable so I'll work on it, thank you for the assistance. :^)

Centicerise

Smash Cadet
NNID
harubanana732
Is it just me or can you not b reverse disable (down b) in the air?

Top Bottom