• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MI progress and summer events

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Well, it's been almost a year since I hosted my very first tourney, and we've come a hell of a long way since Rob's House 1. That tourney got a grand total of 18 entrants, didn't produce enough teams for a bracket to be made, was almost entirely ran by BigD, and I didn't even post a results thread... lol.

Fast forward to March 2011, now we're getting 64 Melee entrants with almost half of them coming from out-of-state, including Teczero, Kels, and Tink. I knew MI could be a Smash hotspot with the proper initiative and organization, but that is ridiculous, simply ridiculous. Good stuff everyone.

Pretty much everything associated with MI Melee in the past six months has been 100% hard competition, and I realized we've kinda lost touch on the fun that comes with locals and smashfests. GSS was exhausting... I'll never put that much effort again into TOing/housing/recording/including Brawl. But of course I'm still willing to host if people are still willing to attend. I'm thinking that for this summer, why not go back to our local roots and have events where we just chill and Smash and maybe even have time to do crews or a side tourney for once. We've been so caught up in the hype from the last couple epic regionals that we've forgotten how much we can still learn and improve from playing each other.

Things are flexible right now, so here a few questions for MI Melee:

1) Do people even want summer tourneys? I'm just gonna be working all summer here in Ann Arbor, so any tourneys that I host will happen here. I know most of UM won't be in town, so it looks like almost everyone will have to drive here.
2) If yes, when should the events take place and how often? I'm more interested in which weekends we should avoid rather than which ones are good. And I'm thinking maybe one event per month... yes, no, maybe?
3) What do you think of slightly downsized tourneys? Essentially I kinda want to trade super-competitive turnouts (SWEET IV, GSS) for more relaxed and fun locals (Rob's House, SWEET I) to further develop the Melee community here.
4) Is anyone else planning Melee tourneys elsewhere? I'll definitely support any other events that happen because I feel bad that people like West MI have to drive 2.5 hours every time to get to Ann Arbor. Let me know, I'm all for making things easier.
5) If you have any other feedback from the last two tourneys (Who's Got Salt and Good **** Stratford) I'd appreciate it. Whatever topic you can think of and want to discuss... venue, seeding, schedule, format, ruleset, you name it, fire away.

Looking forward to more MI Melee.

- Rob

Hot_ArmS

Smash Hero
yooo ill be living on campus during the summer too

DEFINITELY need some smash

i mean i dont have hw or studying to do

the possibilities are endless

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
yooo ill be living on campus during the summer too

DEFINITELY need some smash

i mean i dont have hw or studying to do

the possibilities are endless
But... you living on campus this summer doesn't actually matter, lol.

It's funny, cause Ann Arbor during the summer is comprised of the most hilarious and wildly different Smashers ever.

Typical Ann Arbor summer smashfest:
Juggleguy - organizes event and tells everyone to come
Hot ArmS - says he'll show up but somehow always finds a way to not show up
SCOTU - says he'll show up but ends up playing Starcraft instead
Gio - says he'll show up but ends up sleeping in instead
Lain - says he'll show up but ends up smoking weed instead

Kail

Smash Lord
1) I always want tourneys. If I could afford them I'd be out in AA and Chicago every week trying to play and enter in everything I could.

2) Monthlies are probably the best. The only weekends I can even suggest to avoid is the 4th of July weekend.

3) I agree we should probably take it slow for a few months. I know there are players who want to play more but get caught up in tournament matches, watching grand finals, or even those who just watch because they are too nervous for nexties.

4) I'm still trying to get a hold of Ep0k to see if he's going to host some up in the Grand Rapids area. The only issue we've had in the past is the lack of interest from out side of Grand Rapids. But if he gets the support I'm sure he would be down for hosting something this summer.

If you're wanting to develop the community I strongly suggest doing some side tournaments that have like a one dollar buy in. Things like that can really have a fun atmosphere and are great to learn the game.

After talking about it with Velynn for like... 2 minutes. We suggest doing a "random" teams tournament. That way people get more practice with a wider range of players.

Velynn

Smash Journeyman
I'd drop out of teams if I had to partner with Hot Arms. Or at least make it people we don't usually or have never teamed with. Juggle+ Vel or Kail + Moose or Shady + Duck for example.

Also: Pokeballs on very high

Aceplayer

Smash Journeyman
I like anything that involves me playing good people.

Big tourneys and small tourneys alike.

Moooose

Smash Champion
also i want to team with juggleguy/kail at some point

i completely support tourneys for the summer.
small ones sound fine to me, we don't need chicago comin erry ****in time haha

bliu12

Smash Apprentice
i think ill be in AA for like 2 or 3 days this summer sometime near the end of june. ill be helping my sister move in cuz shes doing her residency in AA for pharmacy. i dont i can make it to a tournament, but im pretty sure my family will let me visit some people so id like to play some smash

DarkLouis331

Smash Lord
I have been advertising your tourneys to the people I smash with regularly, and they have come out to some even though I couldn't, so I'm sure they'd be interested. I will plan come to tourneys over the summer as long as my car is running fine and I don't work on Saturday evenings. D;

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
1) I always want tourneys. If I could afford them I'd be out in AA and Chicago every week trying to play and enter in everything I could.

2) Monthlies are probably the best. The only weekends I can even suggest to avoid is the 4th of July weekend.

3) I agree we should probably take it slow for a few months. I know there are players who want to play more but get caught up in tournament matches, watching grand finals, or even those who just watch because they are too nervous for nexties.

4) I'm still trying to get a hold of Ep0k to see if he's going to host some up in the Grand Rapids area. The only issue we've had in the past is the lack of interest from out side of Grand Rapids. But if he gets the support I'm sure he would be down for hosting something this summer.

If you're wanting to develop the community I strongly suggest doing some side tournaments that have like a one dollar buy in. Things like that can really have a fun atmosphere and are great to learn the game.

After talking about it with Velynn for like... 2 minutes. We suggest doing a "random" teams tournament. That way people get more practice with a wider range of players.
Sounds good, let me know asap how Russ is doing with organizing a Shoulda Tech'd It, or else he might eventually have to schedule around us. Random teams sounds awesome, how exactly does it work? New random teammate each round?

we should have a smashfest genesis weekend
Genesis won't even have a livestream because apparently the tourney organizers think the lack of a livestream will somehow boost in-person attendance, lol. So it's pointless.

Pokeballs on very high
Er... yeah, about that...

I like anything that involves me playing good people.

Big tourneys and small tourneys alike.
I like the attitude. Hope to see you at all these events, Chris, are you in AA for the whole summer?

Marvel and you've got me interested.
Notice how the thread title is Melee: MI progress and summer events, not Melee & Marvel: MI progress and summer events

yo rob im in aa this summer so... ****

also i want to team with juggleguy/kail at some point

i completely support tourneys for the summer.
small ones sound fine to me, we don't need chicago comin erry ****in time haha
Sounds good, are you in AA the whole summer or are you going places for a few weekends? That's why I was interested in what weekends we should avoid. And we're definitely teaming for at least one of these bad boys.

i think ill be in AA for like 2 or 3 days this summer sometime near the end of june. ill be helping my sister move in cuz shes doing her residency in AA for pharmacy. i dont i can make it to a tournament, but im pretty sure my family will let me visit some people so id like to play some smash
Whoa, what if we could put together an event that coincides with your brief stay in AA... that'd be awesome. We haven't decided on any tourney weekends yet, so now is the time to request one, Brian!!

I have been advertising your tourneys to the people I smash with regularly, and they have come out to some even though I couldn't, so I'm sure they'd be interested. I will plan come to tourneys over the summer as long as my car is running fine and I don't work on Saturday evenings. D;
Thanks a lot for the advertisements, we all appreciate new faces. I'm up for driving down to Toledo once or twice, too, if you can get something organized.

Perhaps yes...I miss making it out of pools.
Pools were rough as hell for the regionals... I miss whooping that Pikachu's *** in bracket!

Kail

Smash Lord
For random teams. I would probably just do a full round robin tournament (which shouldn't be too bad since we aren't expecting as big a turn out). Selecting could either be completely random or do a round robin tournament before hand of everyone. Then top eight draw from a hat with the bottom eight in it sort of thing. I would also suggest a mulligan sort of rule where people can veto a team if they've teamed recently and they want to team with new people.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Interesting.

So I guess these are the ideas so far for side tourneys:

Random Teams *
Random Characters
Blind Opponent (two signal-split TVs with a curtain between them) *
Iron Man *
Low Tier
Classic Crew Battle *
Pokeballs on Very High
Mario Kart
Halo Reach
MvC 3
Brawl
Smash 64

I put a * over the ones that I personally really want to happen.

The big question is, should we have to skip doubles or singles to make time for some of these side events? Or is MI as a whole finally experienced enough to plow through a tourney on time without babysitting by Juggleguy? ;)

Trespayne

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Trespayne
Kail, we need something in the Grand Rapids area...I can still get my old crew together (6-8) and have found a couple new ones that want to get into competitive smash. That's at least 10 right there, and Epok can do whatever epok does. Let's make it happen.

Kail

Smash Lord
We should definitely get a smashfest in soon then. Do you have a place we could play? If not I'm sure Grand Lan will have no issue letting us play there.

I would host buy my apartment isn't really big enough for more then 4 people.

Oh, and you mean Melee right?

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium