• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

micheal jackson link....moonwalking^_^

Dark Peach

Smash Cadet
I noe im not da onli person dat relize link moonwalks further den most(lookz like itz 2nd 2 falcon)but does any one use it in their game plan........i ve tried usin it off da edge n bair but it seems 2 be easier 2 just jump off and nair...i guess i wanna look fancy out there so im tryna find a way 2 use it in a match(lolz xD)watz ur opinion.....is there a way of use or shud i abandon all hope of beinng M.jackson wit link??

Skler

Smash Master
The moonwalk is useless. It goes farther then Falcon's but it is slower, so it has no real use. Moonwalk spinhog is a very nice way to get kills though.

Link226

Smash Ace
Links moonwalk is not useless. I have used it once in a blue effectively. I have seen Azen use it lovely a couple of times. But i really only used it as an edgeguard...its fun to be flashy lol.

Dark Peach

Smash Cadet
Skler, moonwalking isn't useless, it gives very nice speed and allows mindgames....and dark peach...spelling..lol..
lmao i noe.....but yea ive been usin it in a different way lately i do da moonwalk .....i moonwalk and dash rite away and repeat it kinda like foxtrot but link getz speed burst use speed change 4 a mind game immma put vid up of it so u cud understand fullly

Avenger7x

Smash Cadet
I personally think the moonwalk has its uses also. It can add another level to mindgames just as long as people don't spam it all over the place. Making it predictable will get you owned. I used to use it and use the dash attack to add reach to link when he's finishing up the moonwalk. Not to useful, but sometimes I could catch someone with it when they weren't expecting it. Usually oponents that were dashing in to hit me real quick.

And yeah, Dark Peach, I used to do that too with the dash/moonwalk/repeat... pretty cool looking but I think it sorta makes things predictable.

Skler

Smash Master
Nope, Link's actually takes him somewhere. Falcons is FASTER but doesn't take him as far. The reason Falcon can use his is because it's so **** fast (but it doesn't take him anywhere, unless he jumps out of it). Link's is slow and thereby pointless, but it goes somewhere.

Velox

Smash Ace
Its close to midnight and something evils lurking in the dark
Under the moonlight you see a sight that almost stops your heart
You try to scream but terror takes the sound before you make it
You start to freeze as horror looks you right between the eyes,

Skler

Smash Master
You guys think I'm talking about the distance falcon goes when he jumps out of his moonwalk. I'm not. I said "Link's goes farther then falcon's" that's on the ground, and true. Link's moonwalk sucks because it will only take him slowly backwards if he jumps out of it. It also lasts longer then CF's, taking him farther on the ground. Cf's is so short I'm pretty sure he loses distance or just breaks even when he does a moonwalk on the ground.

Link's moonwalk is worthless, if you use it you are putting yourself into a dashing animation while going nowhere, why would you ever want that? Dash dancing makes more sense because it gives you more control. I can think of 0 reasons to moonwalk when something else wouldn't be better.

Don't say Link's moonwalk gives him good speed, Link's dashing speed is terrible and thats the fastest any character's moonwalk can go (which is why CFs is so fast and good to jump out of).

Skler

Smash Master
To solve this sillyness once and for all I will call attention to Moonwalking, a Guide.

Note, the CF always shorthops after it. Why is this technique useful at all (CFs agree it still isn't something to rely on)? Because of how fast CF goes of course. Try SHing out of your moonwalk with Link and see how far you go. Not very. Also, look at how quickly CF builds speed in his moonwalk! It takes no time at all! Link takes a while to get to top speed in a moonwalk, and he is open the whole time (thank his crappy dash dance and slow jump).

The moonwalk is not practical, it is never used by good players in tournaments for a reason. It has been known and not used in tournaments, it is only a cool trick, not a useful technique.

I only use it if I'm far away from the opponent and decide I want to AMAZE them with my moonwalk spinhog.

Skler

Smash Master
Marth's over b is an attack, and it isn't even bad. I never even said the moonwalk was situational, it should not be used in any serious matches.

The CFs don't rely on the moonwalk because it's easily replaced by a more practical move that is easier to perform. Not because moonwalking is situational. I mean, why moonwalk to hit your opponent when you could simply dd into the attack? Why moonwalk to do an edgeguard if you could just jump out and use a more reliable kill move and still make it back (granted CF's bair is a pretty sick edgeguard, but so is the knee)? Also, CF's moonwalk is about 10,000 times better then Link's because it is fast and it still isn't needed.

Name a use of the moonwalk where a dashdance or wavedash into whatever you wanted to do would not have been better. Just to clarify, mindgames is not an acceptable answer.

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
Link's moonwalk is proof of his divine Jesus powers, though. My advice, never stop moonwalking and soon you will get the top tier descendant of Jesus Link.

Or you could just do something more practical but who wants to win matches anyways if you are playing Link. I made myself sad. :( :(

Deva

Smash Lord
Marth's over b is an attack, and it isn't even bad. I never even said the moonwalk was situational, it should not be used in any serious matches.

The CFs don't rely on the moonwalk because it's easily replaced by a more practical move that is easier to perform. Not because moonwalking is situational. I mean, why moonwalk to hit your opponent when you could simply dd into the attack? Why moonwalk to do an edgeguard if you could just jump out and use a more reliable kill move and still make it back (granted CF's bair is a pretty sick edgeguard, but so is the knee)? Also, CF's moonwalk is about 10,000 times better then Link's because it is fast and it still isn't needed.

Name a use of the moonwalk where a dashdance or wavedash into whatever you wanted to do would not have been better. Just to clarify, mindgames is not an acceptable answer.
There probably isn't a situation where moonwalking would be better, just different to mix things up. For example, if you see Fox recovering and decide to edge guard him with up-b, you ucan dash forward near the edge, wavedash back (Pulse walk) into an up-b mindgaming him into a spike, though note very situational and not recomended. If you wanted, though, you could also moonwalk into the up-b. It is slightly better, only because the moon walk is less obvious than the long crouch as Link wave dashes.

Skler

Smash Master
The moonwalk is still slower then DDing. Also, the DD is less predictable and lets you have more options then just the spin spike (you can do anything out of a DD), whereas the moonwalk limits your options.

On a side note, the spin spike isn't as useful as Links seem to think it is. It just doesn't work on spaceys who know their recovery options. They can get under it, sweetspot or try going over it. I sometimes throw it out for a chance at gimping but it's really a risk when you can get a pretty sure kill with nairs done off the stage or well timed ftilts.

Deva

Smash Lord
The moonwalk is still slower then DDing. Also, the DD is less predictable and lets you have more options then just the spin spike (you can do anything out of a DD), whereas the moonwalk limits your options.
Actually, that's only with character's that have the standing annimation between their dash dance, like Marth. I'm fairly certain the only thing Link can do out of a dash dance would be a dash attack unless you crouch cancel into an attack, which would still be slower. I'm not really supporting moonwalking here, I'm just saying it's not useless. Also, Link's dash dance is a poor example compared to pulse walking and moon walking for the situation you're referring to.

On a side note, the spin spike isn't as useful as Links seem to think it is. It just doesn't work on spaceys who know their recovery options. They can get under it, sweetspot or try going over it. I sometimes throw it out for a chance at gimping but it's really a risk when you can get a pretty sure kill with nairs done off the stage or well timed ftilts.
That's why I said it was very situational and not recomended.

Skler

Smash Master
Actually, that's only with character's that have the standing annimation between their dash dance, like Marth. I'm fairly certain the only thing Link can do out of a dash dance would be a dash attack unless you crouch cancel into an attack, which would still be slower.
All characters can pivot (Link players just don't do it because Link's DD is bad).

I'm not really supporting moonwalking here, I'm just saying it's not useless. Also, Link's dash dance is a poor example compared to pulse walking and moon walking for the situation you're referring to.
The DD is pretty bad, but it's always better then the moonwalk because it gives options. The DD is almost useless, but it can still replace the moonwalk in any situation where the moonwalk could be considered an option.

That's why I said it was very situational and not recomended.
Agreed, spin spike is too easy to avoid.

Deva

Smash Lord
All characters can pivot (Link players just don't do it because Link's DD is bad).
My bad, I was certain though that I read a sticky on dash dancing that stated only characters with the standing annimation like marth can pivot, perhaps I read wrong. I just haven't seen LInk's standing annimation. Whatever though. I'm not going to argue this. I'll take your word for it.

The DD is pretty bad, but it's always better then the moonwalk because it gives options. The DD is almost useless, but it can still replace the moonwalk in any situation where the moonwalk could be considered an option.
True, DD can replace moon walk in most cases, but in the one I'm referring to it still would be inferrior soley due to the purpose of mind games. If you DD, the fox can see that you're turning around and will avoid going over the ledge. If you moon walk, your still facing forward and don't crouch like in a wavedash so the fox would assume you are approaching guard the edge where really you would be further back set to spin spike. I believe I saw this in one of the Germ's combo vids a while back. anyways, I wouldn't use it. I just saw the post that you wanted a situation where moonwalking could replace dash dancing and that's the only one I could think of. Don't think too much on it. I don't really care for it's uses. Overall, moonwalking is pretty useless.

Agreed, spin spike is too easy to avoid.
Alright, the one thing every Link user can agree upon lol. Too good.

Lightshade

Smash Ace
True, DD can replace moon walk in most cases, but in the one I'm referring to it still would be inferrior soley due to the purpose of mind games. If you DD, the fox can see that you're turning around and will avoid going over the ledge. If you moon walk, your still facing forward and don't crouch like in a wavedash so the fox would assume you are approaching guard the edge where really you would be further back set to spin spike. I believe I saw this in one of the Germ's combo vids a while back. anyways, I wouldn't use it. I just saw the post that you wanted a situation where moonwalking could replace dash dancing and that's the only one I could think of. Don't think too much on it. I don't really care for it's uses. Overall, moonwalking is pretty useless.
Yes, I cannot find even one situation it is more useful than dashdancing.

Luigi Ka-master

Smash Lord

Umm...well this is easy, like THE prime example is...well, everything to do with the ledge. If I b-air a Fox at high percents on one side of FD, and he goes flying the other way, the quickest way for me to get to the ledge is by doing a moonwalk. Running to the ledge than shield-rolling to SH grab ledge is slower.

And CF's b-air has way more priority than the knee. That's a reason to moonwalk off the ledge instead of just jumping out with a knee.

Deva

Smash Lord
And Ka-master comes in for the kill. His word is law. There is no point in arguing any further no matter what your stance on the issue. His post has declared judgement on this discussion.

Skler

Smash Master
Umm...well this is easy, like THE prime example is...well, everything to do with the ledge. If I b-air a Fox at high percents on one side of FD, and he goes flying the other way, the quickest way for me to get to the ledge is by doing a moonwalk. Running to the ledge than shield-rolling to SH grab ledge is slower.

And CF's b-air has way more priority than the knee. That's a reason to moonwalk off the ledge instead of just jumping out with a knee.
That's all well and good, for CF. I was sort of looking for examples of Link using the moonwalk (I probably didn't actually say that in my question, but it's the Link boards so come on). Link will never have a situation where the moonwalk was the best thing to do, and rarely will a situation come up where it even makes sense to waste time doing a moonwalk.

I'm no master of CF, but isn't the moonwalk rarely used? Besides, his moonwalk is 10,000 times better then Link's (must be why he's higher on the tier list).

Skler

Smash Master
I said it's not reliable for Falcon, not useless (it's useless for Link). Watch Isai or G-reg and see how many times they use the moonwalk per match (like real uses, not dancing around after kills).

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
I said it's not reliable for Falcon, not useless (it's useless for Link). Watch Isai or G-reg and see how many times they use the moonwalk per match (like real uses, not dancing around after kills).
I was about to say. G-reg usses all the time to show off lol.

The only use I can see for moonwalk is if you want to edgeguard farther off the stage, you can use moonwalk to cover much larger distances than you would using a regular jump and still make it back to the stage. The technique is still pretty usless.

Edit: This is for Captain Falcon. Link can't even do that. :psycho:

Aesir

Smash Master
you know whats faster? running and nairing the mother ****er cause ya know nair has more proiorty then bair and is a better option.

Thats for CF though, nair > bair.

Luigi Ka-master

Smash Lord
thebluedeath1000 said:
well on any case, its not that important lol

lets let other topics rise to the top instead of keeping this one up, we've discussed it to death.

Wait wait, one more thing...lol

Aesir said:
you know whats faster? running and nairing the mother ****er cause ya know nair has more proiorty then bair and is a better option.
Umm, not really, the n-air sends the opponent a good 2 feet in front of you unless they have terrible DI. N-air is rarely a better option for long distance ledgegaurds with Falcon. [/falcon boards]

Deva

Smash Lord
Also, just to point out, Luigi Ka-Master has one of the best Falcon's in the Pacific Northwest. I think he knows what he's talking about. Also, I may be wrong, but it seems Aesir is referring to Link since you said "I nair falcons off the stage and they die. Ka Master's reffering to Falcon's bair, and yes, moonwalking into a bair is much better. I've seen it in action....it's crazy.

Top Bottom