• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mid Air Reversal

Drunken_Dragon

Smash Journeyman
i didnt see a topic for this, if there is one and i missed it close this please.

If you do an aerial dodoge the precise moment before you are hit by an opponent, it will reverse the attack.

Is there any more info on this in the famitsu scans? this sounds a good contribution to the air game.

maybe its power-guard esc?

or maybe it goes into a special animation, and characters hit back with a preset move? (like a mid-air alpha counter of sorts)

i wonder how strick the timing is..

sounds promising, any more info or thoughts?

lookatthatbaconsizzle

Smash Journeyman
i didnt see a topic for this, if there is one and i missed it close this please.

If you do an aerial dodoge the precise moment before you are hit by an opponent, it will reverse the attack.

Is there any more info on this in the famitsu scans? this sounds a good contribution to the air game.

maybe its power-guard esc?

or maybe it goes into a special animation, and characters hit back with a preset move? (like a mid-air alpha counter of sorts)

i wonder how strick the timing is..

sounds promising, any more info or thoughts?
Whatever it is, sounds awesome. More stuff like this will assure the owning of all my friends in Smash.

Puffin

Smash Apprentice
If they're going to make advanced techniques, why did they take out L-cancelling and replace it with completely stupid things like THIS?!?

I don't know what to think of Brawl.

kashikomarimashita

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I translated it literally. But I think by saying "reverse", the article just meant evade. So it should be just like the old Air dodge, only that you can follow it up with othere moves and jumps.

lookatthatbaconsizzle

Smash Journeyman
Maybe you can't counter a counter? Epic air clashes?
Ugh. that would not be fun. It would remind me of Soul Calibur's Breaking technique. or whatever that stupid block thing was that made opponents dazed for a second. GUARD BREAK. that's what it was. and it sucked.

Cobalt

Smash Journeyman
Ugh. that would not be fun. It would remind me of Soul Calibur's Breaking technique. or whatever that stupid block thing was that made opponents dazed for a second. GUARD BREAK. that's what it was. and it sucked.
You're thinking of Guard Impact

Anyway, I don't really know exactly what to make of this "reversal" thing, but as long as it's some effect separate from the usual dodge, it should be fun no matter what it is.

Kirby knight

Smash Lord
If they're going to make advanced techniques, why did they take out L-cancelling and replace it with completely stupid things like THIS?!?

I don't know what to think of Brawl.
Can you prove without a shadow of a doubt that Sakurai and his team took out L-canceling (Which to the best of my knowledge is still in; in some form) and wavedashing with purposeful intent? And it couldn't be a result of Brawl having different physics than Melee?

You don't even know how this technique can be incorporated into gameplay and yet you call it stupid? I think your the one being stupid.

-Knight

Jeff Highwind

Smash Ace
I was talking with PwnyRide about this, it's actually neat because it allows for more passive gameplay for people that are used to the "Geese Howard" style of counter-gameplay (PREEEDIKTABOL).

What gives me a shudder is the thought of someone having a air reversal that does a meteor spike. That would be wrong on so many levels.

kashikomarimashita

Smash Journeyman
HELLO..HELLO! I said I think I mistranslted it and that by saying "reverse" the article really meant evade. But I cant be certain. The wording they use for Smash is confusing. I even tried to cross reference the terms with the Dojo site, form the English to Japanese pages, but it didnt help. There is also a picute in the magazine and it just looks like Diddy evading Zelda's Aerial A.

PwnyRide

Smash Ace
New edgeguard technique with this reversal system. In particular against characters like Samus, Fox, Lucas, any any others recovery moves that make them more or less human weapons.

@ kashikomarima****a - (EDIT: <-- lol)

Diddy would want to evade it, her F air and B air attacks K.O in the early 60%'s :bee:

Also, i wonder how this works against projectiles :confused:

Drunken_Dragon

Smash Journeyman
not to bug you for more translations, but it didnt say anything else?

im just curious because even if it is just an airdodge that lets you attack immediately, that sounds awesome.

then it would be compariable to parrys in 3rd strike (well ones done in mid air). being able to make someones move whiff before doing an arial attack would be awesome. with good timing that would be a nice offensive or defensive option.

edit: IE: you could jump in and if your opponent gets predictable with an anti-airish smash you could time the dodge and get a free air attack, or maybe depending on if it changes their recovery a ground attack or a throw.

mk-ultra: haha, yeah i was on the phone while typing that. awful. :lol: >.> you mispelled guard though.

Jeff Highwind

Smash Ace
then it would be compariable to parrys in 3rd strike (well ones done in mid air). being able to make someones move whiff before doing an arial attack would be awesome. with good timing that would be a nice offensive or defensive option.

edit: IE: you could jump in and if your opponent gets predictable with an anti-airish smash you could time the dodge and get a free air attack, or maybe depending on if it changes their recovery a ground attack or a throw.
I was thinking kind of a hybrid of the Parry system(sf3)/K-Groove(CvS2) and Marth's Counterattack thingy. In my discussion with Pwny I mentioned that if this was true, everyone would basically have Marth's Tech; and if it reflects projectiles then Mario, Zelda and somewhat Fox have a extra skill.

But it's all speculation. I may be misinterpreting the data but it does seem the most plausable method.

Zek

Smash Ace
The fact that they even mentioned it implies there's something special about it. I'd say "If you do an aerial dodge before they hit you, you'll dodge the attack" sort of goes without saying.

PwnyRide

Smash Ace
I was thinking kind of a hybrid of the Parry system(sf3)/K-Groove(CvS2) and Marth's Counterattack thingy. In my discussion with Pwny I mentioned that if this was true, everyone would basically have Marth's Tech; and if it reflects projectiles then Mario, Zelda and somewhat Fox have a extra skill.

But it's all speculation. I may be misinterpreting the data but it does seem the most plausable method.
If so it may provide FULL cover from projectiles in the air for characters like Zelda and Fox.
Oh it keeps getting better and better :bee:

True Fool

Smash Ace
Ugh, the mention of Geese Howard. I was deficient against most Geese players, and even the Geese CPU :(

Drunken_Dragon

Smash Journeyman
im all for a mid-air only just defense.

i want to jump right at an fsmash from Dedede and perfect dodge it for a free combo.

has anyone checked if perfect guard was any different yet? i dont think i saw that, if it was.

i was thinking for items it would auto-catch them. projectiles seem to recover only slight better than melee (from my rough estimation) so even if it didnt reflect them , being able to dodge them and get a free hit would still be worth it.

maybe there is similar thing with spot dodging? also.. is there some type of indication when its done? (lol im just throwing these questions out, not expecting answers or anything)

Jeff Highwind

Smash Ace
Ugh, the mention of Geese Howard. I was deficient against most Geese players, and even the Geese CPU :(
Dont feel bad about the AI. I fought against a K-groove bot that just-defended all of the hits from Joe's SCREW YOU UPPER! Geese Players though, you just gotta bait their attacks then peck them with DP moves.

But I digress, I doubt if the air dodge tech hit does connect you have access to a free combo. It'll more than likely send your opponent flying while slowing your character down due to the force of impact. Physics can be a pain sometimes.

Drunken_Dragon

Smash Journeyman
yeah, what your saying makes me think its more like an alpha counter or a guard crash from jojo. (cept those are done from guarding.... kinda.)

i was implying it it just made their move whiff (like a 3s parry) and let you pick an air to throw. >.<

still.. either would be nice.

S2

Smash Lord
I can't help but think that while the idea of revearsals would be cool...

that this has to be a mistranslation. Somehow I get the feeling its trying to convey that if youd dodge correctly you can then counter-attack... but it sounds like its a parry.

Oh well, I hope I'm proven wrong.

Drunken_Dragon

Smash Journeyman
i agree s2. but then again.. a parry with a gaurenteed attack after might as well be a reversal lol. least you keep the versatility.

and im gone for the night.

Puffin

Smash Apprentice
Can you prove without a shadow of a doubt that Sakurai and his team took out L-canceling (Which to the best of my knowledge is still in; in some form) and wavedashing with purposeful intent? And it couldn't be a result of Brawl having different physics than Melee?

You don't even know how this technique can be incorporated into gameplay and yet you call it stupid? I think your the one being stupid.

-Knight
First of all, I didn't mention wavedashing. Second, I can prove that L-cancelling was intentionally taken out, as it was in the E4A demo but not the WHOBBY one.

kashikomarimashita

Smash Journeyman
not to bug you for more translations, but it didnt say anything else?

im just curious because even if it is just an airdodge that lets you attack immediately, that sounds awesome.

mk-ultra: haha, yeah i was on the phone while typing that. awful. :lol: >.> you mispelled guard though.
OK here is what the entire article from Famitsu says:

"When you are knocked from the stage, your opponent will surely come to finish you off. It is useful to use your air dodge here. Use it right before you are attacked and it will evade your opponents follow up. You can jump and attack after an air dodge, so you can recover and add in your own attack."

I scanned through the mag an didnt double check my original translations. But Ive figured it out now. Sorry for the mix up.

Dr Mario Kart

Smash Apprentice
A true auto-counter on a just frame air dodge sounds like a bad idea. This is because counters as we traditionally know them (like Marth or Peach) have a very high price for whiffing a counter.

If this is true and not a misunderstanding, you have almost no penalty for whiffing an auto-counter, because yuo STILL get the dodge afterwards, and you can act after dodges now, so you might get an opportunity for a manual counter anyway.

Also, that sets it up so that anyone can jump in place and immediately dodge into a counter, which really rubs me the wrong way if true.

PwnyRide

Smash Ace
OK here is what the entire article from Famitsu says:

"When you are knocked from the stage, your opponent will surely come to finish you off. It is useful to use your air dodge here. Use it right before you are attacked and it will evade your opponents follow up. You can jump and attack after an air dodge, so you can recover and add in your own attack."

I scanned through the mag an didnt double check my original translations. But Ive figured it out now. Sorry for the mix up.
Ah its no problem, at least it gave us something to discuss :laugh:
Besides at least you can translate, thats more than we can ever do!

Top Bottom