• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Midna v1.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wind Owl

Smash Lord
Midna

Download: 1.0

[COLLAPSE="Instructions"]I have written a batch installer and uninstaller to replace Zelda with Midna, for your convenience. However, if you wish to replace it manually, the .pac file is in the "files" directory of the .zip.

To use the installer:
  1. Extract the .zip to a folder.
  2. Run Setup.bat from the folder.
  3. Back up your old FitZelda when it prompts you, if you wish.
To uninstall, simply run Uninstall.bat.
[/COLLAPSE]
Preface
Having just beaten Twilight Princess for the first time this week (yes, I'm aware of how behind the times I am) I decided to create a moveset for Midna. She is a clone of Zelda. This project is still in its early stages. It has not been playtested with humans at all yet, and as such I am very open to suggestions. Please post yours if you have any.

Notes

Intended Playstyle
Midna is supposed to play like a much more combo-oriented Zelda. Most of her kill moves have been nerfed considerably, but she has gained a plethora of combo options, which you will see below. She still hits hard in terms of damage with her sweet-spotted "lightning" kicks, but they do not kill nearly as early.

Base and Intended Environment
Midna is based off of Zelda+ 6.0, and is intended to be played in a Brawl+ 6.0 environment. I currently have no intention of balancing her for vBrawl, but when Project M is released I will gladly tweak her for that purpose.

Model
It would seem that we're nearing a point where we can import models from other games into Brawl. When we have that capability, I'll import Midna in as a replacement for Zelda's model as soon as I can. In the meantime, I suggest you use a Midna-themed texture. I recommend this one.
Update: I have begun to research importing Midna's model. It will need to be converted to Brawl's MDL0 format from the Gamecubes BDL format (even for the Wii version of Twilight Princess). This will likely take a lot of time.

SFX
Her attack sounds are the same as Zelda's. I went through the Common Fighter sound test and really couldn't find any more suitable sounds to use. When we gain the ability to import custom SFX, I will look through Twilight Princess' SFX and import some more fitting ones (the 'darkness teleport' for Farore's Wind is a particularly fitting example that comes to mind). In the meantime, we're stuck with Zelda's.
As for voices, I definitely plan to replace Zelda's voice set with Midna's when it becomes possible.

GFX
Most of her attack effects now use the 'darkness' hit effect rather than Zelda's 'electricity' effect. In addition, I've replaced some of her attack animations with glowing dark balls or dark smoke. The purple tinge of Brawl's darkness animations, in all honesty, doesn't match the pitch black Twilight flavor of Midna's magic, but for now this is really all I can do.

Animations
Usmash (and to some extent, Fsmash) needs to be completely reworked, but I don't really feel like doing that yet. I'll get around to it eventually. The rest of the animations work farily well as Zelda's. Nair was altered (sped up and slowed down at certain points) to match its new hitboxes.

Down B
For now, I have only done Midna's humanoid Twili form. Eventually I plan on creating her Imp form and replacing Sheik with it, but that will take much more work than this one, and so is well down the road. I don't even want to start that project until we can import models. So, for now, Down B does nothing.

Balance
I do want her to be balanced. She is not intended as a joke character; I put far too much work into her for that. Again, she's meant to be played in Brawl+ 6.0, so she'll be balanced around that, but the suggestions I'm primarily looking for are those for balance.

Preliminary Opinion
Again, I've only played with her against computers so far. But based on that...
She's fun as hell. That said, she's probably way too good right now. She has so many combo, tech chase, and edge guard options that it's just ridiculous. At this point I need playtesting and the input of others to advance her moveset in any way. I would list problems that I think she has, but at this point it would just be speculation and could possibly sway otherwise unbiased opinions.​

Moveset

The following are changes from Brawl+ 6.0 Zelda. Anything not mentioned is very likely unchanged.

Jab
One hit instead of three. Same startup (frame 5), but because the active frames are much fewer (1 as opposed to about 6), IASA is 7 frames earlier at frame 16 (as opposed to 23). The knockback has been reduced from 120 to 20, and the base knockback is unchanged.
My intention with this move was to provide a fast, decent-ranged disjointed poke like Zelda's but exchange the defensive "get off of me" type properties for a more traditional reset-style jab. It can lead into Utilt or grab until very high percents.

Dash Attack
Basically, the inside and the outside hitboxes are directionally switched, and its killing potential is made non-existent. Like Zelda's, there are four hitboxes, one on the inside, one on the outside, and one in each position at a later time (frame 8 as opposed to 5). Damage is unchanged for all hitboxes.

Inside-Soon Hitbox
Sends forward (361°, or the Sakurai Angle™, if you prefer) instead of upward (90°). Base knockback is unchanged at 70, which is just enough to get them out of your space, but knockback growth was reduced from 70 to 20, causing this move to essentially never kill. This will. however, always force them to tech if it hits, even at 0%.

Outside-Soon Hitbox
Sends upward (90°) instead of forward (361°). Base knockback is changed from 50 to 70, and knockback growth is changed from 70 to 20. Like the other soon hitbox, this will never kill but will pop them up for a combo at later percents. Note that this hitbox is harder to space than the outside-late hitbox.

Inside-Late Hitbox
The only change to this hitbox is that it sends forward (361°) instead of upward (90°). Its weak knockback is the same. Please note that this hitbox will almost never hit, as it is almost always out-prioritized by the outside-late hitbox.

Outside-Late Hitbox
Like the others, the direction of this hitbox was switched, sending upward (90°) instead of forward (361°). The base knockback was changed from 70 to 20, and the knockback growth was changed from 70 to 50, again with the intention to never be able to kill but set up for other moves at earlier percents than the outside-soon hitbox.​

Forward Tilt
The inside weak hitbox and the 'tipper' were directionally switched. That is, the tipper now sends outward (361°) and the weak spot now sends up and back (110°). Knockback growth is the same (88) but base knockback on all hitboxes was halved from 50 to 25. Damage on all hitboxes was reduced by 20%. The end result is that move becomes somewhat useful for edge guarding and setting up a tech chase, but not very useful for aerial combos, and certainly not useful for killing (not that Zelda's often was).

Up Tilt
This is a staple move of Midna's. Instead of being a strong, slow move, its speed has been increased 50% and its base knockback has been reduced from 105 to 45, and its damage has been reduced from 13 to 8. In addition, instead of sending outward (70°), it sends inward (110°). This allows Midna to utilize the extremely useful hitbox of the move to combo at lower percents into many different moves. Its usefulness decays the higher they get, though, no longer setting up for much of anything at around 50%.

Down Tilt
Instead of sending downward (270°) like Zelda's (whose end effect was usually just keeping them there and setting up for a pseudo-tiltlock), this move sends at a slightly upward angle (30°), which is the same as Marth's down tilt (note, however, that the range is far less than that of Marth's). Its knockback growth was halved from 80 to 40, which means that it will not auto-gimp anyone that it hits off the stage.

Forward Smash
This move is now one hit instead of six. It starts up at frame 24 instead of 16. Its knockback growth is 84 and its base knockback is 30. The result is an attack that is difficult to land and will not kill nearly as early as Zelda's Fsmash.

Up Smash
Like Fsmash, this move is now only one hit as opposed to eleven. Its knockback growth is 85 and its base knockback is 50. Like Fsmash, this move is slower and kills much later than Zelda's.

Down Smash
This move sucks in (each hit sends at 160°) instead of out (each hit sent at 20°). The damage on each hit was halved (keep in mind that it will now usually hit twice for the same damage as one of Zelda's hits). The base knockbacks were doubled so that it would usually hit twice, but the base knockbacks were changed from 95 and 85 to 55 and 45.

Neutral Air
I'm not going to lie. This move is exactly the same as Marth's Nair, but with less range, less landing lag, and less damage (about 20% less, depending on which parts hit). It's two hits and sends straight forward (361°). Not much else can really be said, as I'm sure you're all familiar with Marth's Nair and how ridiculous it is.

Forward and Back Air
Knockback growth and damage of sweet spot hitboxes are reduced by 20%.

Up Air
This move now hits 5 times, and starts up frame 6 instead of 13 (however, the last hit doesn't hit until frame 22). The first four hits each deal 2 damage and mimic the physics of Zelda's Usmash weak hits, sucking the opponent in. However, because it's an aerial, you have to follow them in the air in order for all of the hits to connect. The final hit deals 5 damage, resulting in a possible total 13 damage (instead of 15). The base knockback of the final hit is 60 as opposed to Zelda's 30, and its knockback growth is the same, but since it only deals 5 damage it will always pop them back up (which can't be followed up very easily) and not kill until above 150%.

Down Air
Rather than affecting opponents only in the air, resulting in an instant death spike, this move now affects only opponents on the ground, creating difficult but rewarding tech chase and punishment setups, comboing into basically any move Midna wants at percents as high as 120%. Its hitboxes were altered to reflect Fair and Bair, that is, instead of a small hitbox the first active frame and then one large, weak hitbox the second active frame, both sweet and sour spots are active the first frame and then for the next three frames, only the sour spot is active. Basically, it works exactly the same as Fair and Bair. The damage of the sweet spot was upped from 16 to 20, and its angle remains the same (270°) but since opponents are grounded it will always send upwards. Since this move loses its functionality as a spike, and because it's quite difficult to land, the knockback growth was reduced from 90 to 50, resulting in setups that last even into the higher percents. The sour spot hitboxes are no longer a weak spike; they send upward (85°) instead of downward (275°), almost never resulting in a follow-up.

Throws
Throws are currently unchanged. I'm neither sure what to do with them (although I suppose reducing Bthrow knockback would be a start), nor how to alter them. Especially open to suggestions on this one.

Neutral B
Currently, this is unchanged. I honestly have no idea what to do with this move. Here are a few ideas I had, followed by why they're stupid.
My first instinct was to change the direction from sideways to upwards. However, due to the lag of the move, this would result in the equivalent of either a really crappy tilt or a really crappy smash. It wouldn't be useful for anything.
So then I thought, why not make it jump cancelable? Well, that's just silly, gimmicky, and broken. So, no.
Well, how about reducing the lag? Again, that would make for an extra tilt with invincibility in the beginning. Not really a good idea.
I also thought about tweaking the invincibility (either more or less? I don't know), or making the reflected projectiles deal more damage (x2 or something?), or making it absorb projectiles ala the psychic brats (but it's a mirror crystal, so that makes no sense, really). I'm quite at a loss when it comes to this move.

Up B
The following changes are planned, not implemented. Altering Up B is proving to be quite tricky. Perhaps someone better versed in PSA can help me out on this one (Eldiran? :bee:):
Reduce distance traveled by 40%, have the initial weak hit send downwards (weak spike) instead of upwards. Reduce start lag and end lag by roughly 1/3.

Side B
The distance traveled is halved. As a result, the damage is also roughly halved. Startup and end lag are reduced by 1/3 both on the ground and in the air. The result is a situational means to tack on damage to combos (or at higher percents combo into something else), limited edgeguarding, and greatly limited zoning.

Down B
As noted above, this is disabled for now.

Fen__

Smash Ace
Why is the download as an archived batch file? Just upload the .pac and .pcs.

Wind Owl

Smash Lord
Yeah. Like I mentioned in the OP, I plan on making Imp Midna her transformation, but she's a totally different character from anyone in Brawl (save maybe Olimar?) so it will take a lot of work to implement her. I don't even want to start on the PSA until I have a working model and animation set for her.

Alphatron

Smash Champion
I've been out of the PSA loop for a while, but I'm looking forward to seeing this. A Zelda clone sounds interesting.

Wind Owl

Smash Lord
Umm, the pac is in the OP. You can playtest her now; the only difference is you'll have to use a Midna texture as there is currently no model for her.

I need people to playtest her so I can balance her further ;_;

Wind Owl

Smash Lord
Have you tried playing her? She plays 100% differently.

Zelda is much more defensive--her high priority Fsmash and Usmash, as well as her jab, protect her and wall many characters, while Din's Fire eliminates Zelda's need to approach at all against a lot of the cast. Almost ALL of her moves kill--Fair, Bair, Dair, Uair, Dsmash, Fsmash, Usmash, Utilt, and Dash Attack--but she doesn't have very solid combo options.
Midna, on the other hand, cannot wall nearly as well due to her single hit Usmash, Fsmash, and jab. Her Dsmash, Uair, Dash attack, Utilt, and Dair will never kill. Din's Fire cannot pressure anyone, really, since it only goes about 10 feet in front of her. However, she gains solid combo options with Utilt, Nair, Din's Fire, Dair, and Dash Attack. Dash Attack and Ftilt lead to tech chases. Dash Attack, Nair, Dtilt, and Ftilt are all very useful for edgeguarding.

I thought about changing her physics around, by making her faster, but she's so good that that would make her a bit broken. Midna's body type is basically the same as Zelda's (she's a bit taller, I think) so major physics changes wouldn't even make sense.

This leaves the appearance issue, which I've stated many times that I'm working on, but if that's what's keeping you from considering them different, well... Not much I can do for now.

Like I've also stated, I'm very open to suggestions and would actually be glad to change her animations around or completely revamp her specials if need be.

Power Marshall

Smash Journeyman
Like I've also stated, I'm very open to suggestions and would actually be glad to change her animations around or completely revamp her specials if need be.
That would be a wise decision to make. Not concerning you though. But if you do not change around animations/moves and just add elements(Darkness) to most of her moves, it would not be a rather good PSA to make anyone believe it is not Zelda.

Though on one hand, I do like what you did with her UAir. But Sadly, I am not a fan of Darkness and too many Dark elements on many moves can be rather Weird.

Now for switching moves if you would kindly agree, here are my suggestions.

-Change her USmash animation(The one with hitboxes, lol) with her Utaunt one (Or Her Assist Trophy one) and just have one hitbox instead of multiple.
-Change her Fsmash with her STilt.

That is all I got right now. Hope all goes good.

Wind Owl

Smash Lord
That would be a wise decision to make. Not concerning you though. But if you do not change around animations/moves and just add elements(Darkness) to most of her moves, it would not be a rather good PSA to make anyone believe it is not Zelda.
Yeah, I agree. Making her different is important.

Though on one hand, I do like what you did with her UAir. But Sadly, I am not a fan of Darkness and too many Dark elements on many moves can be rather Weird.
I really only want Zelda's electric-effect moves to be dark effect on Midna (which is most of them). For Uair and Side B, though, I was thinking perhaps an Ice effect, but I'm not sure how to accomplish that, as the flags listed in the Big List thread don't seem to be correct. I noticed that your Baddally Yoshi's pummel is of the ice element; could you tell me how to do that?

Now for switching moves if you would kindly agree, here are my suggestions.

-Change her USmash animation(The one with hitboxes, lol) with her Utaunt one (Or Her Assist Trophy one) and just have one hitbox instead of multiple.
THIS IS AN AMAZING IDEA. I will get right on it.
-Change her Fsmash with her STilt.
This, I'm not so sure about. If I did that, what would I give her for Ftilt?

That is all I got right now. Hope all goes good.[/QUOTE]

Power Marshall

Smash Journeyman
The ice element is 4.
Ex- This is yoshi's Pummel(Grab Attack): 33830404
The bold is the number for the Ice element.

About the her new STilt, I am sure you could think of a move. ;)
If not, I probably could think of one.... I think I got one...

Change her STilt to DSmash and allow it so she only kicks once using the frame speed modifier to speed up the remaining frames after the first kick. Furthermore, during her first kick, have, maybe a electric GFX that would have a electric element to it. Though this is just an idea....

EDIT: Also, I am now following this PSA thread. It seems interesting to mii, being a Fan of Midna.
I can not wait, though for Imp Midna. I prefer Imp over True.

Akuma2120

Smash Ace
Can't wait for this, Midna is hot lol

I agree with more slight changes than major ones, I couldn't imagine her fighting that much differently than Zelda

Can you make her teleport the black squares?

Also, custom sounds are out now I think(I think there's a guide in the FAQ section) so you can get the right teleport sounds.

Wait, maybe we could change some of her moves, to make her combo a little better, like a mix between Zelda and Sheik

Ok I'm gonna list some switches for moves, just throwing out thoughts, hopefully these would help make her more combo prone rather than a defensive styled fighter:

-SideTilt = Sheik's side-tilt or Peach's
-DownTilt = Zamus' downtilt or Zelda's is fine too, maybe make it Zelda's animation with Sheik's dtilt properties
-Uptilt = Peach's uptilt with dark effects
-DownSmash = Peach's downsmash maybe
-Nair = Zamus' Fair
-DownAir = Peachs' without the floating, SHFF DownAir would be a good combo starter
-Upair = Peachs' or Zamus

These are just ideas for swaps, the properties could be differed for comboability like Nair having low KB so you can follow up with another attack

Special Attacks could be a little different, well DownB should be different, don't wanna be transforming into Sheik lol, so I'll try to think of something for a donwB move

Wind Owl

Smash Lord
Can't wait for this, Midna is hot lol
I agree. :bee:

I agree with more slight changes than major ones, I couldn't imagine her fighting that much differently than Zelda
Yeah, they're very similar.

Can you make her teleport the black squares?
That's definitely the plan, but it's hard.

Also, custom sounds are out now I think(I think there's a guide in the FAQ section) so you can get the right teleport sounds.
Really? I'll look into that.

Wait, maybe we could change some of her moves, to make her combo a little better, like a mix between Zelda and Sheik

Ok I'm gonna list some switches for moves, just throwing out thoughts, hopefully these would help make her more combo prone rather than a defensive styled fighter:

[COLLAPSE=A Bunch of Suggestions]-SideTilt = Sheik's side-tilt or Peach's
-DownTilt = Zamus' downtilt or Zelda's is fine too, maybe make it Zelda's animation with Sheik's dtilt properties
-Uptilt = Peach's uptilt with dark effects
-DownSmash = Peach's downsmash maybe
-Nair = Zamus' Fair
-DownAir = Peachs' without the floating, SHFF DownAir would be a good combo starter
-Upair = Peachs' or Zamus[/COLLAPSE]

These are just ideas for swaps, the properties could be differed for comboability like Nair having low KB so you can follow up with another attack
I don't mean to shoot you down, but the way she's designed right now she has TONS of offensive options. Have you tried her out yet?
I won't go into detail about each move since I did that at great lengths in the OP, but you should check out her
  • Dair
  • Nair
  • Utilt
  • Dash Attack
  • Side B
  • Jab
  • Uair
These moves all combo quite well, and her Ftilt and Dtilt are good for edgeguarding.

Special Attacks could be a little different, well DownB should be different, don't wanna be transforming into Sheik lol, so I'll try to think of something for a donwB move
As I also mentioned in the OP, her Down B currently does nothing (well, actually it just triggers the animation for the end of Zelda's Down B when she appears) but will eventually transform into Imp Midna. As for Side B and Neutral B, I still don't really know what to do with them. I'm thinking about the illusion suggestion from Slashy for Neutral B, but still not really sure what it should do. Up B will be a nerfed Farore's Wind with less lag, once I figure out how to manipulate it properly.

Power Marshall

Smash Journeyman
Actually, I have an idea for a move.

How about the red force field Trigger Imp Midna did when on Wolf Link's back? The one where she uses her Hair-Hand and sticks it up vertically, and then on the ground is this red Surrounding circle that locks on multiple enemies. I bet Midna Imp and Midna True are not that really different, and since we only saw more to less of Midna Imp's moves, and not really that much of Midna True's moves, but it should still fit.

Wind Owl

Smash Lord
Hmm... Twili Midna distincly lacks her hairhand, so I think that particular ability should be confined to her Imp form. I know we didn't see much of Twili Midna, but it's conceivable that she still has most of her abilities (teleporting, shapeshifting, throwing dark energy at people). I do want her neutral B (and perhaps side B) to be unique to Midna, but I don't really think that fits.

There's also the fact that for that move, Wolf Link was doing most of the work.

God of Humility

Smash Journeyman
Yay Midna!! She was made TP a much deeper game by developping her character. I'll try it later.

I don't think she needs her imp form. Think about it, what can her imp form do that her true form can't. I would assume all powers she demonstrates as an imp came directly from her normal form. Her imp form is a complete downgrade imposed to her by Zant. Why would it give her additional abilities?

Plus, doing a imp form is going to take a lot of work and time.

Anyway, I suggest changing most animations simply so as not to make a Zelda clone. At least, her specials should be completely different. I would suggest some kind of twilight counter, illusions and such. Bringing back the black squares is a must.

Power Marshall

Smash Journeyman
Hmm... Twili Midna distincly lacks her hairhand, so I think that particular ability should be confined to her Imp form. I know we didn't see much of Twili Midna, but it's conceivable that she still has most of her abilities (teleporting, shapeshifting, throwing dark energy at people). I do want her neutral B (and perhaps side B) to be unique to Midna, but I don't really think that fits.

There's also the fact that for that move, Wolf Link was doing most of the work.
Seems reasonable. I did, in fact, think about it; and yes, Wolf Link did the attacking, heh.

hmm... at least it was a suggestion but I do see how it would not work as well as I thought.

Wind Owl

Smash Lord
I don't think she needs her imp form. Think about it, what can her imp form do that her true form can't. I would assume all powers she demonstrates as an imp came directly from her normal form. Her imp form is a complete downgrade imposed to her by Zant. Why would it give her additional abilities?
Well, on the one hand she does seem limited, but on the other she gains freaky hairhand powers. I was thinking of making her play a little like Olimar (certainly nothing like a clone) in that she's a small character with ridiculous grab range and other disjointed hitboxes (her hairhand). My basic idea was that Twili Midna could combo and Imp Midna would be more powerful but less able to rack up damage--essentially the reverse of Zelda/Sheik.

Plus, doing a imp form is going to take a lot of work and time.
Very true, which is why I'm not spending too much time thinking about it yet.

Anyway, I suggest changing most animations simply so as not to make a Zelda clone.
Yeah, at the very least I plan on making her Fsmash and Usmash completely different (still working on Power Marshall's Usmash idea). Her jab, I plan on making an animation in which she just pokes with her finger and the dark magic comes out, as opposed to Zelda's open hand animation. For her Ftilt, I was thinking sort of a roundhouse kick with dark magic at the tip.

Really, I'm just not sure how worth it working on animations is without her model, but I'm starting to think it can't hurt.

At least, her specials should be completely different. I would suggest some kind of twilight counter, illusions and such.
OMG, that's a great idea! I'll make her neutral B like Lucario's down B, except... not crappy, and more twilighty. Nice.
Bringing back the black squares is a must.
Hellz, yeah. But, again, it's hard. I might even have to make my own model and then... insert it into Zelda's PAC without replacing anything (well actually, Uair is its own model, so maybe I could use that space). It's also this crazy particle effect that I'm not even sure how to replicate, so... Yeah. Might not happen for a while, but I want it as much as you do.

Hmm... at least it was a suggestion but I do see how it would not work as well as I thought.
Yep. Every suggestion is helpful, even if it doesn't make it in. Thanks ;)

So this is not Imp midna? Because I think that would be a much more interesting character :l.
:mad:
RAWRRRRRRRGGGHHHHHH
Down B
For now, I have only done Midna's humanoid Twili form. Eventually I plan on creating her Imp form and replacing Sheik with it, but that will take much more work than this one, and so is well down the road. I don't even want to start that project until we can import models. So, for now, Down B does nothing.

God of Humility

Smash Journeyman
Well, I tried her, and I must say, I still feel like playing Zelda. I see the numerous differences, but I didn't notice anything making her unique enough. I suggest you aim to luigify her much more. Her fair and bair are too similar to Zelda's, as well as the dair. Dsmash is really good like it is, and uair is simply awesome. It might need some tweaking though.

If you want to luigify her, you should alter everything meaningful. I mean, the physics are a must. I think making her faster in general and falling faster would help her. Her grab game should be completely changed as well. Make her grab faster to differentiate from Zelda's sluggish grab.

I always thought Midna should have a very weird and unique playstyle. I mean things that no one else has. It doesn't need much originality, it just needs to break the rules a bit. Things like a fthrow sending backwards or uair spiking. Attacks having weird angles is something I imagined. Or one of her grab could throw and regrab the opponent (only works once to negate chain grabs). I really think Midna should have a strong sense of unique weirdness to her. That was how I pictured her in TP.

And I'm sure you already have it in mind, but you should change the sound effects, it is one of the main things that make her feel like Zelda.

And I don't really like the overuse of the darkness element. It never ever appeared in a Zelda game, much less on Midna. May I mention Twili magic is not the same as darkness magic. (Unfortunately, I know there is no element that fit better)

You did a good job on this PSA and I hope to see it evolve until its perfect.

Wind Owl

Smash Lord
Well, I tried her, and I must say, I still feel like playing Zelda. I see the numerous differences, but I didn't notice anything making her unique enough. I suggest you aim to luigify her much more. Her fair and bair are too similar to Zelda's, as well as the dair.
Well, if you're talking about animations, I am working on that. If you mean actual hitboxes and whatnot, you're going to have to be more specific.
For Fair and Bair, I don't want to give her a weak move like most other F/Bairs. Their damage is nerfed (actually, if you'll notice, her Dair and her F/Bair are switched in terms of damage with Zelda's), and so is their base knockback. I want them to still require precision but be less powerful than Zelda's. Originally, they had less knockback but sent at 359° instead of 361°, but after a bit of testing I declared it to be flat-out broken, killing at ridiculously low percents even from the middle of the stage. I'm open to suggestions, but I sort of like how they are now.

As for Dair, I just can't agree--her Dair couldn't be more different. It's the only move in the game that will ONLY spike on-stage, much like Zelda's is the ONLY spike that only works off-stage. I adjusted its knockback so that it would combo at any non-ridiculous percent, and I adjusted how the hitboxes work to accomodate hitting grounded opponents better.

Dsmash is really good like it is, and uair is simply awesome. It might need some tweaking though.
Yeah, it might be a little too fast. Needs playtesting.

If you want to luigify her, you should alter everything meaningful. I mean, the physics are a must. I think making her faster in general and falling faster would help her.
You're right. Physics changes are literally the next thing I'm working on.

Her grab game should be completely changed as well. Make her grab faster to differentiate from Zelda's sluggish grab.
This is a good idea. I have to read up on altering throws, but once I do I'll mess around with throw ideas. Faster grab is a great idea.

I always thought Midna should have a very weird and unique playstyle. I mean things that no one else has. It doesn't need much originality, it just needs to break the rules a bit.
Dair doesn't count? :(
Things like a fthrow sending backwards or uair spiking.
Funny thing; I actually did think of Uair spiking. It would even look OK with the animation since who knows WHAT that smoke is really doing. It would work like Zamus' Up B. I'll try that out and see how it feels.

Attacks having weird angles is something I imagined.
Umm, I did make her attacks have some weird angles. Utilt especially comes to mind, as well as dash attack. Utilt is a circular motion but it actually pulls towards her. Kind of freaky.
Also, see above about her F/Bair. I guess I could make them send at 179° instead of 361°, and that would indeed be freaky, but maybe too freaky. We'll see.

Or one of her grab could throw and regrab the opponent (only works once to negate chain grabs).
Hmm... Not sure what to think of this idea but I'll keep it in mind when I start on her throws.

I really think Midna should have a strong sense of unique weirdness to her. That was how I pictured her in TP.
Yeah, you're right.

And I'm sure you already have it in mind, but you should change the sound effects, it is one of the main things that make her feel like Zelda.
You're right. Also on my to-do list; her attacks really shouldn't sound ANYTHING like Zelda's, but that electric effect is the only thing in Brawl that even remotely fits. Also, lightning kick "POW-SHHHHHH" is pretty awesome. :(

And I don't really like the overuse of the darkness element. It never ever appeared in a Zelda game, much less on Midna. May I mention Twili magic is not the same as darkness magic. (Unfortunately, I know there is no element that fit better)
Well... Yeah. In the TP universe, Light and Twilight are 'two sides of the same coin,' and Darkness is an evil combination of the two. Twilight isn't purple at all. But, like... It can't be electric, ice, fire, normal, and aura makes even less sense than darkness. So, what can you do. Maybe I'll figure out how to make a pitch-black, square-spewing effect, but I haven't heard anything about custom hit effects, so frankly, I doubt it.

You did a good job on this PSA and I hope to see it evolve until its perfect.
Thanks, and me too :bee:

Power Marshall

Smash Journeyman
hmm... here are more random (but obviously connected to Midna True) move suggestions.

Nair- If you have nothing in this spot, I would suggest: *Dark Sphere* Basically it is Zelda's Screw attack Animation but with an added Dark GFX. Also it probably should be human size, covering most of her body.

Fair- Sheiks Fair: *Dark cut* All she does is cut the air, but following her hand is Darkness. Plus, this should have multiple hits.

Dair- same animation. but has two dark GFX like-spheres that will go down, The 2nd GFX, being the farthest down.

That is all I have now.

Akuma2120

Smash Ace
I don't mean to shoot you down, but the way she's designed right now she has TONS of offensive options. Have you tried her out yet?
I won't go into detail about each move since I did that at great lengths in the OP, but you should check out her
  • Dair
  • Nair
  • Utilt
  • Dash Attack
  • Side B
  • Jab
  • Uair
These moves all combo quite well, and her Ftilt and Dtilt are good for edgeguarding.

As I also mentioned in the OP, her Down B currently does nothing (well, actually it just triggers the animation for the end of Zelda's Down B when she appears) but will eventually transform into Imp Midna. As for Side B and Neutral B, I still don't really know what to do with them. I'm thinking about the illusion suggestion from Slashy for Neutral B, but still not really sure what it should do. Up B will be a nerfed Farore's Wind with less lag, once I figure out how to manipulate it properly.
Oh.... I didn't know a beta was out :laugh: I just got hyped and went straight to ideas, I'm watching the super bowl now but I'll try her out tonight hopefully.

Yea don't worry, I was just tossing random ideas, no biggy.

Maybe side B could be the same as Zelda's, except it's a little bigger, dark energy like the red energy ball zant uses in this video(@ 1:42 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSv5_HEZYUo) and if it touches an opponent the get hurt, so there's hitboxes on it while you control it's movement, maybe make it slower, allow it to be interrupted if it hits an enemy for combo follow up or just allow it to be interrupted any time and the energy ball would keep going in the direction it was pointed, and have the energy disippate as it keeps going

I was gonna say down B could be a parry, it's like a counter, except there's less of a time frame to have it work, but you can throw out any attack after... although you can do that on a perfect shield I think

Neutral B, eh can't think of much right now, sorry I'll try to think of something

Did you change her dash attack? If not try Zamus', and have the knockback similar to Link's dash attack for comboability, just a though

Slashy

Smash Lord
My illusion idea was an interesting move, it was essentially a move that does no damage and within its own nature is far more effective against human players.

This move paints the fourth wall and serves as a way to distract the player.

The move takes a while to charge and does 1 of 2 different options.

-Reverses the screen (like Spear Pillar)

-Darkens the screen greatly

Batandy

Smash Apprentice
The imp form could use his hair-hand to make big combos,teleport with the use of portals
and become invincible for a few of seconds in a shadow form.

leafbarrett

Smash Lord
First suggestion: Scrap the throws entirely. Replace them with some faster throw animations/hitboxes.
Second suggestion: Fix the rest of the magic graphics, replacing them with darkness.
Third suggestion: What did you do to the dair? D:

Wind Owl

Smash Lord
First suggestion: Scrap the throws entirely. Replace them with some faster throw animations/hitboxes.
Yep, I've been planning grab and throw animations in my head :bee:
Second suggestion: Fix the rest of the magic graphics, replacing them with darkness.
If you mean her Usmash and Fsmash, I am working on that as well, but unlike the tilts and whatnot, they're their own polygons so it will be hard to find a replacement.
Third suggestion: What did you do to the dair? D:
I made it awesome, I will have you know. It spikes on the ground (not in the air) dealing 20% and comboing into a lot of moves at a lot of percents.

leafbarrett

Smash Lord
Yep, I've been planning grab and throw animations in my head :bee:

If you mean her Usmash and Fsmash, I am working on that as well, but unlike the tilts and whatnot, they're their own polygons so it will be hard to find a replacement.

I made it awesome, I will have you know. It spikes on the ground (not in the air) dealing 20% and comboing into a lot of moves at a lot of percents.
If you need help scaling animations, I'd be happy to help~ :3

? The graphics, you mean?

Then she must hate me, because even though I have gotten it to ground-spike, it's done me no good at all, and I can't do it when I'm trying to ;-;

Wind Owl

Smash Lord
OK, I'll let you know if I need help <3

Yeah, the graphics.

Yeah, it's supposed to be difficult but rewarding. She can do broken things like, on Mario at 5%: Dair, reverse Utilt, Nair, Nair, Fair for something like 60%.
I had had the hitbox on Dair much larger, but I want it to take skill to connect with. Most dairs are very easy to hit but lose their comboability at around 50% or so and none do as much as 20%.

Jackie Moto

Smash Rookie
I think that if you use 3DS Max could you not convert the Midna 3D file into a 3DS file, the use DasDonkey to convert it to the Brawl format? I mean I'm not truly sure but I would think it would be worth looking into. Right now you can export and import vertices with this method but I'm not sure about replacing a whole character this way. I guess you would have to import the Midna model and make as many vertices with her as Zelda has. Then going in and replacing them....

Oh and here is a list that is correct with effects... It's the only correct one I know of.... All though it doesn't have all of the effects it's missing a lot.
00 Hit
01 ?
02 Slash
03 Electric
04 Ice
05 Flame
06 Coin
07 Cape
08 Slip
09 Sleep
0A ?
0B Impale
0C Stun
0E Flower
0F ? (gives hitstun to some moves that don't normally have any)
10 ?
11 Slash 2
12 Hit 2
13 Darkness
14 Stun
15 Aura
16 Impale 2
17 Down
18 No Flinch

Higure Hokousha

Smash Rookie
The default graphics are in the common3.pac, you could replace one of the lesser used graphics and offer the common3.pac as an optional download. As another option, you could replace her up-B graphic with a black version(or perhaps the classic Twilight pattern) or the black squares.

The black squares can be found in the Imp Midna trophy(they don't appear in brawlbox however), and might be accessible by removing the actual Midna polygons, and then transferring over the Model and Textures to Common3.pac or Zelda.pac as an effect. To create the illusion of animation, you could create multiple copies of the effect(looping), while adding a random rotation of up to 649 degrees horizontally(I don't remember the squares(or rectangles, I can't remember) ever being at any angle except for straight up and down). You might also be able to replace the existing animations for the old effect with new ones for the squares.

As a suggestion for Neutral-B, you could give it a charging effect, with it charging whenever it strikes a projectile or opponent. When fully charged the normal subaction would be replaced by some other kind of potent effect (temporary super armor, healing, a large scale attack, etc.).

If you want to stick with an illusion idea as previously suggested, then you might consider a large number of 'attacks' appearing randomly throughout the screen. Most would just be harmless graphics(random rotation and offset for a looping graphic effect), while one would be damaging(a hitbox and graphic created at one of several randomly selected locations). This would have a minimal chance of impact, but would be excellent for confusing the opponent.

Of course, this is all up to you, I just thought I'd present some ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom