• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Midnight paper done and Omg I think I'm gunna be sick...

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
I just finished a Communications paper before midnight (11:59 PM to be exact) since my professor allows us one midnight immunity, she doesnt allow any papers after deadline except for this one time and I totally !@#$ing blew it my paper is horrible... and my references/citations aren't listed at all hardly in the paper, I didn't even make a correct header page it just looks plain awful.. I feel like I'm sick for the amount of caffene I drank today to keep up but I've been sick as hell. I can't believe how big of a failure I am...

I didn't even finish "five" pages, and my topic was about how cell phones/mobile devices can cause vision problems and I try to persuade my audience to take notice and take precautions like not using it (it being a tablet pc or mobile device like a phone or 3DS or some !@#$) for more than 30-40 minutes and not taking a break. The most interestng part was about 3D screens being difficult for your eyes to adjust and can cause you some problems like nausea and eyestrain/pain but... I mean I didn't have time to finish explaining any of it, and I barely had time to research any of it...

Here's my !@#$ty submission if anyone wants to look, it's a mess and I think I won't get any higher than a 50 on this omg...-_-; Submission requirements - 5-7 pages, with 5 written sources, at least 3 journal articles, omfg I hate my life right now...

[collapse="You really wanna read this crap?"]

Introduction

We are in an age that is constantly surfing the web, watching videos, instant messaging or texting friends and family, playing games, reading books, and using applications, all on our tablets, smart phones, feature phones, and media players. People of this age must focus on taking a couple precautionary measures to protect their vision when buying or using mobile devices. Some vision problems are created by less-ergonomic designs and improper use of existing and new mobile device technology. In this paper I show that our usage of and the type of mobile devices we use can be important contributors to vision problems. I then go over how we can lower our risks for vision problems involved with mobile devices.
Vision Problems Associated with Mobile Devices
There are a few issues with mobile devices that may cause problems for our vision, including general discomfort (headaches, nausea), eyestrain, blurry vision, or dryness of the eyes. Everyone should know that staring at their smart phone or tablet for too long can cause you eye strain and headaches. However, the reasons why it may be painful to spend a certain amount of time on different devices varies, depending on how you use your phone or device, or what kind it is.
Habits
Many people do not use their cell phone or mobile device in a way that would be deemed healthy in the first place. We stare at our mobile phones or devices for anywhere between two to five minutes, to 20 to 40 minutes, to even more than an hour at a time. Any amount of extra time spent looking at a screen illuminated by a backlight such as a LCD can cause discomfort or pain in our eyes (Hoffman, 2011). Continual use of the mobile device, whether it is a tablet PC or a blackberry phone, for such long periods of time ends up hurting your eyes from staring into the light display used to illuminate your device The way we hold our device also comes into effect, which leads into the next point on screen size.
Screen size
For reference, a normal cell phone's screen is about 2.5 inches wide and 3.3 inches long, varying in resolutions with the average being 240 pixel by 320 pixels (mobiforge, cartoonized). It can be very uncomfortable at almost any viewing angle for your eyes to adjust to the small static imagery on a 2D display. Since the screens are so small, users tend to hold their devices much closer to their eyes then reading materials. Users that stare at these small screens for so long will experience eye strain and headaches. The small text that you read from a device with this typical screen size can also put strain on your eyes. Some methods have been used to make elements or text stand out better on mobile devices, perhaps even increasing the viewing experience. That leads into my next point about 3D imagery.
3D screens
A great issue that is arising from newer technology is stereoscopic imagery, or 3D-imaging. It involves taking two offset pictures of the same scene or object and showing them separately to the left and right eyes. 3D screens have now been implemented on new mobile devices such as as the LG Optimus 3D (a new Android smartphone) and the Nintendo 3DS (a dual-screen portable gaming device).
Stereoscopic displays can create even more strain on your eyes from having to focus on two images, in order to provide vergence–accommodation. In vergence, the brain must converge both eyes, in order for them to be pointed to the area or object of focus. The eyes then accommodate when the brain tells the lenses within each eye to focus; this sharpens the picture retained in the retinas. According to Dr. Martin Banks, professor of optometry and vision science at University of California, if either of these functions fail, various symptoms occur. For a failure of convergence, you will see double. For a failure of accommodation, your vision is blurred.
Take all of these limitations of stereoscopic imagery and put them into a small or mobile device, and you can see that it has just as much problems as watching a 3D movie on a theater screen. Where one's eyes move to see all the different characters or events on a large screen, misalignment can occur for the stereo imagery, causing a distorted image. For a palm-sized device using a 3D screen, you're pinning your eyes down on it far too close, which ends up with you receiving a blurry or unfocused image.
Now that I have told you some of the main issues of mobile devices that cause vision problems, I will explain some areas that could help mobile device users lower their risk of having the complications I outlined above.
Lowering the Risk of Vision Problems
There are at least three things that can be done to lower the risk of vision problems when using mobile devices. Changing your habits, adjusting the settings on your mobile device, and using alternative mobile devices or features all can help avoid problems with your vision when using a mobile device of any nature.
Changing habits
Most of the vision problems associated with using mobile devices on a daily basis can be solved with a few key changes of habit. Other issues require commitment to limitation or abstinence altogether, depending on what risks you hold in using specific mobile devices. In general however, if a person implements these key changes or reinforcements in their schedule using their mobile device, it can help alleviate some discomfort or vision problems.
One should limit the amount of time they spend looking at a portable device's screen. Whether it is your laptop, iPhone, tablet PC, or even Kindle, it's important to take breaks. The recommended times to take a break for a computer has long been a 15 minute break every one to two hours. For smaller devices, it is probably better to not spend more than 20 to 30 minutes staring at the screen.
Settings
Some mobile devices like pocket PCs or smart phones come with settings that allow you to change the font size and element size. With such a small screen size, utilizing these features only make sense, as they can help increase the efficiency at which your eyes can view material, and allow for less strain. The larger the objects, the less close you have to hold the device to your face. Adjusting the brightness and contrast on a device can also help ease tension felt from looking at material on screen for too long, due to the intensity or contrast of the back-light display against your environment. Adjusting it to fit the environment you're in can prove more comfortable. If your device doesn't come with these settings, you could invest in a new device that does have these features and suits your needs, which moves us onto my final point.
Alternative Devices
Anyone who is in the market for a new mobile device can research the different features a device offers such as 3D, or just how ergonomic-friendly it is, and decide whether the device overall provides either a positive or negative viewing experience in terms of vision health. This is most important to parents who have young children. Because a child is still developing, allowing him or her to use devices with 3D imagery without first becoming informed on the different risks involved could prove hazardous to the child's future development and abilities. This, among other factors concerning ergonomics and safety for vision should be taken into consideration.
If a device has a 3D display, one should make sure that the 3D effect can adjusted or turned off. If you can not turn the 3D display down or off at all, then it is recommended to only use it for a small amount of time and take a break.

Conclusion
I have gone over three main issues with mobile phones and devices that cause vision problems, and three solutions on how people should approach these problems. Amongst these issues include those associated with people's everyday use of their mobile devices, the screen size or design of a mobile phone device, and newer technology that causes problems, specifically stereoscopic imagery (3D screens). The three solutions I suggested in respect to these issues were to change the habitual use of mobile devices with breaks, adjust the settings on a device, and seek alternative devices in regards t stereoscopic imagery. Vision problems related to mobile device usage should always be preventable by following these suggestions.

References
Hoffman, D., Girshick, A., Akeley, K., & Banks, M. (2008). Vergence-accommodation conflicts hinder visual performance and cause visual fatigue. Journal of Vision, 8 (3):33, 1-30.
Lee, E., Park, K., Whang, M., & Min, K. (2009). Vergence-accommodation conflicts hinder visual performance and cause visual fatigue. International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics, 39, 786- 806.
Hoffman, D., Girshick, A., Akeley, K., & Banks, M. (2011). The zone of comfort: Predicting visual discomfort with stereo displays. Journal of Vision, 11(8):11, 1-29.
Tribley, J., McClain, S., Karbasi, A., & Kaldenberg, J. (2011). Tips for computer vision syndrome relief and prevention.
Chun, J., Han, H., Im, H., & Park, Y. (2011). A method for searching photos on a mobile phone by using the fisheye. International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics, 41, 280-288.

[/collapse]

Wow I can't even copy-paste correctly wtf is wrong with me.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Ah I did the same thing with my Communications Essay (on the history and impact of television, and it's future in a world of mass medias).

Except I started the day it was due, and I was finished with it 5 hours in advance. :troll:

Edit:
@ TL?
Epic quote is epic! :laugh:

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
I don't need sympathy, I need a new brain.

(sigh) At least she will grade it at all, even if it doesn't fill the immediate requirements.

Also, I did get decent grades on my past few papers, but I'm worried because my group assignment is gunna suck with the slackers on my team, everyone is so freakin' busy and won't meet to discuss our topic.

And btw, I can't drop this class, I'd have less than full time credit hours AND it's required so it's whatever I can do between now and the rest of the semester. If only I didn't have Statistics, Systems Programming, and Earth Science right along with this BS. :c

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Drop the class.
Man, this got me.

Hope all gets better for you, Krys. Seems like quite the caseload. I tend to procrastinate on a lot of my assignments, so I apprehend the gist of your situation. Can't really contemplate even personal remedy, however, along with the fact that you're in college(?), and I'm a junior in high school.
:pinkiepie:

El Nino

BRoomer
BRoomer
Well, no use beating yourself up over something that's already done. Just get your sleep and prepare for the next one.

Some general advice on grammar. Your first sentence contains a common mistake and is kind of awkward to read. An "age" technically cannot "constantly surf the web." It might have worked better as: "People in this age are constantly surfing the web..."

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
If you're unhappy with your essay, pull another all-nighter and redo it. Re-submit it to your professor and see what happens. Your grade can't get worse from your original submission if the professor decides to reject the second attempt and at least you can feel a bit more satisfied having attempted to rectify what you believe is a poorly written paper.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Yeah, don't push yourself to hard. I can only personally handle about 12 units and still pass with flying colors (and I'm not ashamed of my limits), whereas some of my other friends can handle up to 15. My girlfriend once even took 21 units, which I don't think is legal (she just about diedED).

I took about 15 units my first semester and almost diedED too before I realized I couldn't handle that much school work in several different subjects. I took Humanities (which had several projects), some super advanced psychology class based on issues of culture (which had a lot of work but I was strangely a natural at), some math class (that confused me), California History (I had a teacher that didn't teach it), some space science class, American History to the Reconstruction, and the history of Literature or something like that (which had a crap ton of reading).

That was like hell. In one of my classes the teacher got fired for having an affair with one of her student assists (which actually ended out being not true, and she got compensated), and it was promised to us our final project was cancelled. What happened? They uncanceled it 72 hours before it was due, and I had to study for 7 finals, put the finishing touches on 4 final projects/essays/other crap, and now one new 10 page final project on what the future is of the issue of "culture clashing." I didn't sleep for 4 days, and when I was done, I went straight to sleep. I literally slept for a day. I went to sleep at about 5 PM one day, woke up at about the same time the next day. But you know what? Life goes on. At least I wasn't a low-class factory worker in the 19th century separated from my family, working 22 hour workdays, earning a few cents an hour, and being called a lazy, incompetent fool by those who did barely one hundredth the work those poor souls did. :urg:

I just did best to get through that semester. If I made a mistake, I didn't beat myself up. Instead, I tried to correct it, tried to learn from it, and moved on. I tried my absolute hardest, I stayed focused, and I made sure I was on top of my assignments. I had to have a little notebook to keep me organized (since my sophomore year of high school), which I still use today.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
"Get through the thorny bushes, reach to the light!
Once you get out, there be a sun's bright.
Ah! The smell of a better life!"

Get your work over and done with.
You'll feel relieved after giving your teacher one good assignment.

I hope you'll be okay.

Top Bottom