• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Midstate Massacre 5 - 100+ Unique Entrants - Charlotte, NC

v4extreme

Smash Journeyman

All brackets, including Melee singles bracket pools, can be found at http://MSM5.challonge.com. As always I'd like to thank everyone for coming. There are still a lot of ways we need to improve the series, and I appreciate people cooperating with the long wait times and delayed schedule. I hope everyone enjoyed themselves for the most part. I have a lot of people to thank so I'll be making a full shoutouts post later, for now I just wanted to get the results up.

Melee Singles (81 Entrants)
[event=nobracket]5495[/event]

Melee Doubles (19 Teams)
MSM5 Melee Doubles
Rank
Player
Characters
User
1st
KDG|Stingers + Tah.
2nd
$mike + NEG SnS|Dark Hart
3rd
mute city + Ali
4th
Le Fou + Bl@ck Chris
5th
Purple + SlipnSlide
5th
Karma + Sprankles
7th
JELLY + Gato
7th
Banjo + Cloudsquall
9th
Quasar + Cloud
9th
GoHahn + QCK | Rice

Project M (61 Entrants)
[event=nobracket]5496[/event]

stingers

Smash Obsessed
Hopefully melee bracket is seeded next time instead of all top seeds out of pools being equal, but besides that this tournament was very well run + a lot of fun. Good stuff to all of the UNCC guys who put on a good show for us this weekend :bee:

v4extreme

Smash Journeyman
THANKS
Nick Ewing of UNCC's esports/LoL club for helping with a lot of the event planning and coordinating the sponsorship with Save Point so we could give out free swag. Also for jumping in to help manage the PM bracket.

Thomas (macaroni), Dylan (pickle), and Locke for being on TO staff. Thomas helped with check in and making changes to the event before they started (putting door registrants in, taking no shows out, etc). Dylan ran PM mostly by himself. Besides running two singles pools, Locke helped a lot the day before with seeding and pool creation. I'm always impressed with how great his memory is for player knowledge which helps a lot for separating people by region.

Pool captains: Dark Hart, Oso, Quasar, GCS, Purple, BLMB. You guys had a responsibility unexpectedly dropped on you and all did a fantastic job. Couldn't have done it without the help.

Dark Hart, Chi, and $mike helped me with logistics for Melee a lot the day before and were the reason I was prepared to run bracket pools. Without that preparation the crossover between Melee and PM would have been even harder to manage and things may have gone much worse.

Jelly, Sharkz, and Karma for seeding the preregistered PM players the day before. I'm (obviously) not qualified to seed PM and they jumped in and handled it which was great.
****The PM seeding error was NOT these people's fault. Izzy registered at the door and I didn't get anyone to check over the seeds after adding door registrants.

REFLECTIONS
Obviously the biggest problem was PM, both the seeding and lateness/long wait times. Melee ran about an hour late and had some unreasonable wait times as well, but PM was far worse. I no longer wish to run Melee and PM at the same event. I think doing so is hindering the potential of the series and separating them would allow us to create a better experience for attendees. Tentatively I'm planning to run an event for PM doubles and singles and another event for Melee doubles and singles next semester. I'd like to get some of the Charlotte PM community involved in organizing the PM event. There have never been any real members of the PM community on MSM staff which is what lead to the seeding error here. I'd like to apologize to Izzy and anyone who had to play him too early in bracket, as well as to the mid tier players who could have been seeded more accurately.

Bummed that Brickman had to DQ himself before being eliminated because Melee was about an hour behind schedule, apologies to him as well.

We lost a lot of time getting the changes people made at the door (adding/dropping games) into challonge accurately. I'll be planning a more streamlined process for that at future events.

Stream situation was obviously far less than ideal. That falls in large part on me for PM not running as scheduled. I'll be mindful about improving the stream in the future.

SHOUTOUTS
Anyone who repped the shirt.

Everyone who was a good sport about things running late, I appreciate you guys making the best of it.

Skywalker, GCS, mute city, and Sprankles for making top 16 wooooo go Charlotte! Plus Sprankles beat yet another PRd player Kreygasm.

Pineapple for being the most fun person to photograph.

Asheville crew (Banjo, Squee, Dembo, tenbutts, cloudsquall, QueTPie, others?) for coming out and doing well, good to see you guys. GG cloudsquall for top 8.

The little kids omg

ANTI SHOUTOUTS
UPS for the event badges not arriving on time (yeah, we were supposed to have those).

UNCC SGA bureaucracy for no free food.

People who preregistered and didn't show up without canceling. I'll do a better job of making sure you guys know that's what I expect next time haha.

DtJ SmithZzz

Happy Birthday Kjell
izzy tried to get it checked with Daniel but it didn't work out I heard. I registered at the door & still got a seeding of 6.

Last edited:

Glish

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Wav_Glish
3DS FC
1418-7649-4416
Wish I could have stayed and didn't have to forfeit and receive 13th place. Ah well, doesn't really matter too much to me. I had fun, so that counts. Next time I'll cut out plans way ahead of time, and make sure I make top 8.

Also, hire me to stream! I actually lent all my recording tools to FZG so their quality could be 10x better than what it usually is.

Sadface

Smash Apprentice
If anyone found a white controller with a small tear in the top right of the control stick its mine and I'd like it back.

Top Bottom