• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Midwest Challenge! South Bend, IN, August 9th (Snex approved!)

KishSquared

Smash Master
$25, huh? Well, I suppose the money might make me play harder... So sure.
Yeah, rules sound good. I don't care about items, I'm fine with just leaving them on low the whole time. But sure, loser can pick if items will be on or off for the next match, but they stay on low no matter what, right?
And what are broken stages? Brinstar Depths and Pokefloats, since you can fall through on certain parts? Or just the cheap levels, like Hyrule Temple and Yoshi64? I'd say let's ban all four, and we're good. This is probably dumb of me to do this, since I have no idea how good you are, but it should be fun. C'ya then!

superpichu

Smash Journeyman
It's official

You wanna make that official, V? Because I'll hold you to that unless you tell me you're joking!
No joke. You can even put it in the first page with all the details; that should make it official.

Edit: This bonus is void should you decide not to allow modified controllers in the tournament. But since this tournament has the snex Seal of Approval, I'm assuming that they are allowed, so it shouldn't be a problem.

LazyNova

Smash Journeyman
Keefer, Bob, V, you guys wanna do a CWRU crew? I don't think Cleveland by itself is going to be big enough, and if the Columbus people make it Ohio is probably going to be too big to do as one crew.

KishPrime

King of the Ship of Fools
BRoomer
Well, while we do have the snex seal of approval, we are not using all of his rules. But, yes, modded controllers are allowed (especially since we are planning on modding a few ourselves...heh). And your bonus has officially been added to the front page. Actually, I added it before you confimed to lock you in. The bonuses are cumulative...hopefully I won't be giving my out-of-state bonus to Eddie, the nominal favorite if you go by snexus 2...

x1372

Smash Ace
yeah, I'm definitely in for a cwru crew... it'd be sweet, but I doubt I can drag chris (my teammate for the cwru tourney) into this from virginia... no. just asked him. stupid otakon. oh well, he hasn't played since may anyway. STILL IN NEED OF A TEAMMATE.

secondly, lazy and V, you cannot beat me and a good sheik. supernova and I proved that. I have your counter-stage... but then I'm sure in our practices you'll figure out some way to ruin that... or maybe you won't just pick FD as your final stage. in any event... hope me and whoever I partner with meet you in the winners bracket finals.

third, my offer still stands for the 5 dollar set against any sheik... apparently I've only got two potential takers so far, just wondering how many I can expect... oh and I mean to rearragne the stage order. FD really should be first... well, I'll work it out later. in any event, I want more sheik challengers... if it goes as expected I might be able to somewhat establish peach as a decent counter for sheik ^_^

anyway. may the best player win, and everyone else have enough excuses as to why they're really better.

Keefer_Blunt

Smash Apprentice
of course im in for the CWRU crew. we gots to stick together. bob, i am in need of a partner as well, i can play a mean shiek
( as you remember ) so if you want to team up, i wouldnt mind winning a team tournament with you. we could be CWRU team #2!... as for transportation is concerned, i am still not sure how i can make it to south bend. if anyone knows anything about getting a dayton guy up to indiana somehow i would appreciate it.
even though things look grim for me being there, i still guarantee my attendance just because i actually made it to chicago.
SeBaron = aol name if you have some info.

finally: pimp can you give me some backroom access? i mean, it is my birthday tomorrow.. cmon *in fox voice*

KishPrime

BRoomer
Guess what I learned this weekend? You don't have to double tap the stick to dash. Everyone proceed to shoot me now...I'm not sure how I never knew this since I've been playing smash for what, 6 years now? Of course, I spend so little time on the ground anyway playing as Kirby and Jiggly. Nevertheless, I am enjoying my new freedom. I always thought it was way too hard to switch directions...

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
... you're kidding, right? How did you think dash dancing was done then? It'd be nearly impossible to double tap it that fast.

x1372

Smash Ace
ok, so teaming with keefer... that means of the three people mentioning taking my challenge, two of them will be part of the "crew" I'm in...

as for us being cwru team 2, that was me and shakir at snexus... but I suppose that works here too. so for the third of 3 tournaments, I will be teamed with a random (presumably) sheik that I've never teamed with once before... well, let's see if it works this time.

as for dash dancing, bah. a few well-placed turnips ruins THAT stupid annoying strategy.

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
I'm not saying that I dash dance, Im just asking how did he think it would have been done with having to double tap the control stick.

and yes, a few turnips usually do tend to make someone stop doing it.

KishPrime

BRoomer
Ironically enough I am the best dash-dancer of the Kishes. I actually figured that it just interrupted the animation, and that was why you could just push left and right. It's so EA-SY! HAPPY-GO-LUCKY! It's nice being free...

snex

Smash Master
you guys should post this at gamefaqs. theres a lot of scrubbage there recently that think they are good, and many of them are midwesterners.

LazyNova

Smash Journeyman
Pfft, forget gamefaqs. As much fun as it is to get free wins on bad players, there's a much higher chance that one of them will have a crappy scrub attitude and interfere with the positive atmosphere.

And if that was a reference to Yatta, you are officially a bad person.

So it looks like we got 20 people or so? That's a good size for a tournament in my opinion. Unfortunately, it looks like most all of them are going to be good, should make this an interesting tournament. And are V and I seriously the only people brining gamecubes? (other than the organizers I assume)

snex

Smash Master
i can bring my cube, and if the faqqers get out of hand ill just eject them from the premesis.

Keefer_Blunt

Smash Apprentice
we can come up with a better name if you'd like. i mean, this random shiek intends to take the team tourny. maybe something like ' your crew sucks' ? meh, what do you think

i hope i dont have to drive to s bend

KishPrime

BRoomer
Of course it was a reference to Yatta! Every college student should know that... Anyway, we now have 7 cubes lined up between the three in our house and Joshu's, plus snex, V, and LazyNova. I wouldn't mind having one or two more, but that should be enough.

LazyNova

Smash Journeyman
Well.... I have bad memories of Yatta. A certain former roommate of mine (who is also attending this tournament) went away to class a few times and left it blaring out our 7th floor window so loud that you could hear it at the bus stop like 600m away.

And three cubes in one house? Why not only have one and then have another system? I mean the best game (SSBM) is multiplayer anyways, so you can always share it. Or are 2+ of you away at college?

And despite not playing that much, I am getting some quality smash sessions in, and I'm regaining some of my confidence. If I can just get a hold of my tourney nerves... I'm so confident of my skills now, if I don't get first second or third, you can have my entry fee and give it to whoever does.

And because this is going to be smaller I assume we won't be seperating regions in the bracket? I don't care too much about all the Ohio people, although I would definitley prefer to play others, but I really hope I don't face V right away, we play a lot together, and it seems that most tourenys we enter we randomly get scheduled to face each other right away (although I think people have always agreed to move us when we've complained).

KishPrime

BRoomer
Yeah, Jeff bought one for college, Daniel bought one for home, and then our sister wanted one for her room since we're on the others so much...it's sad. I refuse to buy one for now just so we don't all own one. And yes, we are still trying to split up teammates and by region...as much as is possible. Andy...I'm hoping that is one of the lines in Yatta and not a sign that insanity has reached you.

Edit: By the way, if this tourney stays at around this size, I'm thinking about switching it up to a more snexus 1 style round-robin type of tourney, or perhaps a round-robin double-elimination, which would take some explaining. It would make us all play each other more, never a bad thing.

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
Prime I can bring my cube, but isn't there a lack of TV's? Are you, squred, and Cubed all going to bring a TV with your cube?

jv3x3

Smash Champion
i gots some new people for u guys to add to the list from g-faqs (they said for sure they will be there) "poppa , and 3 of my guyz wit, mac, gizzy". They are doing team 2

Also, the poppa guys wants $$$ matches with anyone from 10-20 dollars. Im already doing $25 with him and got first dibs, but if anyone else is interested email him at bside4599@cs.com

KishPrime

BRoomer
Wishing I was travelling to TG right now....

Yeah, so as far as TVs and VCRs go, we should have about 4 of each covered methinks. Anyone who can bring more...that'd be great. We should have a couple already available at the church I hope, but I'm not counting on it yet.

Kyari

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
KYRI#103
AAAAH!!

This is insane... The 9'th is sooooo open for me, and I've been waiting for something like this in Indiana for over 2.5 years now... Basically ever since I got the game, which would be on its release date. But South Bend is so far away... I live in Indianapolis area and I doubt that I could make the trip with my own means. This implies that I must rely on someone else... but who? Parents are lazy, and I don't have connections. My dad is my only hope... but we are a little bitter right now. If I can come, I have a Game Cube that I might be able to bring... if not, just expect the entry fee =( Don't count on my supplies, but I'll still try my best to make it.

LazyNova

Smash Journeyman
Originally posted by Keefer_Blunt
Ohio will own

That is all.
I don't know... now that I've reaquired counterstrike, the need to think about smash has really dropped off. But I suppose I'll still practice when people are available.

mmm... counterstrike... can't even remember what else I was going to say here.

Brahma

Smash Journeyman
I just moved to Muncie from the Bend but I think I could make it back for a tourney. I might be able to bring in 4-5 people too.

KishPrime

BRoomer
So close to buying a ticket to TG...yet so far...

This thing is getting decent sized after all. Has anyone heard from The Siege or younghark recently? Hmmmmm...if everyone who says they are bringing a crew are actually bringing one we'll be up to 40 some people. We'll just keep adding more I guess. Cool.

jv3x3

Smash Champion
Good work at TG midwest...

Also, i was wondering if any ohio people were coming from the northern part, like Toledo (sp?) area?

Edit: Also i gotta tourney suggest, y not make the quarter finals up best of 5 instead of best of 3. Makes for better makes among the better players.

Keefer_Blunt

Smash Apprentice
Where is Pimp

If Pimp cannot make it, someone needs to run over to burger king and get us a crown to present to the winner of the midwest tourny.

And speaking of winners, what chi town smashers are attending besides Snex?

Snex I would like to fight your marth again...

FlowinWater

Smash Champion
I find that interesting, I have a friend over their where this tourney is taking place, I guess I should tell him about it.

KishSquared

Smash Master
Please do! The more, the merrier, and the bigger the pot! This is gonna be awesome, I really believe it. We outta have plenty of time for friendlies before and after the tourney, and I think the crew tourney will add a twist. I can't wait to take out my revenge for Snexus 2!

Barogrei

Smash Apprentice
I could use a doubles partner. And by the way, I am a Chicago Smasher, well actually Westmont, but close enough.

KishPrime

BRoomer
Proposed Starting Time: 1:15 PM
So be there by 1:00 at the latest to sign up! Obviously if you are only doing 1v1s it won't matter until like 4 or so, though if you are coming late, let us know since we'll start drawing up 1v1s early probably.

KishSquared

Smash Master
You are free to show up at noon, though, for friendlies. We have the church all day, and we'll be there early, so feel free to come get some matches in beforehand!

Pacn99

Smash Cadet
Oh my... I am SO all over this! I've been dying to go to a tourney lately, and this is PERFECT. It's so close to me – only a 50 minute drive away, and I know South Bend, so finding it'll be a sinch! I'm so stoked! I can even bring my GameCube and television set, if you'd like. That's not a problem at all.

Man... I'm so freaking excited. I haven't been to a tourney in months. This'll give me a great chance to test out my Game & Watch. >:D

LazyNova

Smash Journeyman
lol... did he say G&W?

For some reason I haven't posted here nearly as much as I did in the Snexus 2 or Ohio tourney threads. Still coming. Man, in order to get here in time for friendlies, gonna have to get up absurdly early in the morning. Darn.

Should be lots of fun though. We thinking most peope will show up before for friendlies? Sounds like we're still working on final word from the columbus oh people.

KishPrime

BRoomer
Finally, a G&W. Anyway, great to have you pacn! The GC and TV would help a lot, and if you have a VCR that would help as well since we are going to try and tape all these. We are up to at least 20 firmly confirmed. Younghark, are you still out there? And Colombus crew, we're still hoping to see you guys up here (especially Smog...grrrr...). We should pull in a few stragglers as well. Oh, and if you get lost on the way, we will post the phone number to call at the start of the thread with the rest of the info!

Pacn99

Smash Cadet
Not that Game & Watch is my best character, it's just he's my favorite. I've been striving to be good with him ever since the game came out and I believe I've finally mastered him. If you don't believe me, we can challenge each other at the tourney just for fun. I may not win, but I assure you I'll give you a new perspective on the little 2-D guy.

I friend of mine has agreed to be my partner for the tourney, so I don't have to worry about that anymore. And I'm definitely bringing my own 'Cube and Television, but only a controller for myself and my friend. Not that I really have much else to offer. I have other controllers, but they're all really worn out from too much Smash. XD

And sure, I can bring my VCR. That's not a problem either. Do I need to provide tapes? I can buy some if you want 'em.

Oh, and is it alright if I show up at noon? It's been ages since I've last been to a tourney, and I want to get as much play in on this day as I possibly can.

Top Bottom