• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Midwest TOs Unite To Ban Metaknight

Status
Not open for further replies.

dguy6789

Smash Lord
I watched 6 hours of D3 matches to learn ROB vs. D3 and wrecked the Dedede that gave me trouble the tournament prior.

That's light compared to how much time I spent researching Metaknight. I have literally played every character in this game and searched through every board attempting to find SOMETHING that works against MK, and there is nothing.
You ever consider that maybe, just maybe it's a bad matchup?

Blood_Hawk

Smash Lord
This is seriously ridiculous scrub mentality. Let's ban something, not because it is game breaking, but because we don't like it. Sound awesome to me.

Yun wreaks havoc in 3rd Stike and he isn't banned. Fox was considered to have no counter back in Melee days and he wasn't banned. I just don't see the point of banning a character that is good but not unbeatable.

The only time I would agree is, like I said, it takes a ditto to defeat a MK. If he becomes an O. Sagat.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
This is seriously ridiculous scrub mentality. Let's ban something, not because it is game breaking, but because we don't like it. Sound awesome to me.

Yun wreaks havoc in 3rd Stike and he isn't banned. Fox was considered to have no counter back in Melee days and he wasn't banned. I just don't see the point of banning a character that is good but not unbeatable.

The only time I would agree is, like I said, it takes a ditto to defeat a MK. If he becomes an O. Sagat.
Aren't we already there? Sure, you won't find that in the midwest because we're only recently having anyone pick up MK... and none of them because they like him. I picked up MK and do fine with him without practicing at all; that's crazy when compared to how much actual effort I put into ROB.

You say that if the MW bans MK, we'd be unprepared to travel to other regions. I say why the hell would I want to travel if they don't have MK banned?

(btw, Chun wins in 3S and Fox didn't have actual counters but he had a few bad stages and he had several characters wrecking as hard as he did, plus he had natural weaknesses)

Nurotasama

Smash Journeyman
So what MK is ****** MW so hard out there that they are being forced to ban him in an entire region and risk having all of their players be completely demolished in anything national or in another region?

Seems pretty scrubby banning a character just because some people don't like that he's both good and popular elsewhere.

Mars-

Smash Champion
Rob Metaknight.

MK has won maybe two tournaments in Florida history. There are several characters that do just fine vs Metaknight, banning him is ********.
I beleive the part that flaws this arguement is when you say florida. It's just like when people win tournys in texas and think they are hot ****.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
The best part about all this is that the Midwest is one of the last regions that should worry about Meta Knight, but here we are trying to be leaders in something silly... like lots of legal stage counterpicks.

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
Well, a TO can technically run with any rules they want, the only thing you can really do is share your opinion, and not go to a tourney with silly rules if the rules remain bad.

It just plain doesn't make sense for our region. MK rarely even breaks into the top 3 in the midwest, at least from what I've seen.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I think you're thinking a bit too locally. We're not the only region that has TOs wanting to ban MK... and the louder we are, the better it gets :D

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
a serious push to ban mk is going to have to start on the east coast. no one will care if the midwest bans him.

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
No, but those that are currently having MK banned are in the minority, by a pretty large margin. Why would we want to change our ruleset to conform to a minority?

Epok

Smash Ace
hhhmmmmmm I dont know if i will yet. I havent had a good turn out for a toruney in 6 months over here in Grand Rapids and I dunno if banning MK will really hep me in any way. I will be doing a brawl tournamnet most likely in January so maybe my mind will be made up by then. If more people were inclined to come to GR I might ban him. We'll see.

dguy6789

Smash Lord
I beleive the part that flaws this arguement is when you say florida. It's just like when people win tournys in texas and think they are hot ****.
Are you kidding yourself? Florida has superior players to every single region except the east.

complexity1234

Smash Apprentice
lol scrub mentality is right. MK can be beaten. Hes no way near compared to akuma. Akuma is the ONLY character ever to be banned really. And King DEDEDE's NEVER ENDING chain grabs and infinities on 5 characters are way more overpowered and lame... Just because of D3, 5 characters are basically unviable in tournaments. He's way more ban worthy.

Banning him just by yourselves is worse also because character metagames actually stop vs the MK matchup and are at a standstill. While everyone else is gonna pass you up.
Just so you guys know everyone is laughing at you.
That.

~Shin~

Smash Apprentice
I don't think that the original poster really understands the tournament base of this game. I've been through 64, Melee, and a part of Brawl, and I have to say, our tourney base is VERY forgiving.
This game is stupidly broken ... If you look hard enough, you will see sh*t that shouldn't be there. That doesn't make it special either because EVERY fighting game in the WORLD is like Smash Brothers 64/Melee/Brawl. There is something wrong with every fighting game.

We don't ban characters, we never have, we never will. If you can't stand a character, go join another tournament base because we have tougher skin than other tournament bases.

I really F'ing hate this game sometimes. I get upset about tiers, and about people taking advantage of 'whats best' all the time and not wanting to have that beautiful 'fair battle' that I've always loved in my heart.
But I'm not going to lift a ban hammer on a character.

If the game is BAD enough to ban a character, you shouldn't be playing it in the first place.
Go find something that gets updates like WoW, I play that every now and again, atleast the broken sh*t gets fixed.
sure they add more and more and have to keep fixing it, but, its the most balanced game I've played.

Vayseth

Smash Master
Honestly, I hope we don't have to ban metaknight. I want to keep him in. However, when you ban a character we run into problems like making other characters unchecked and therefore unbalanced.

Note what is happening here, in this thread...

~Shin~

Smash Apprentice
Hey, didn't want to come off as a meanie either. Its just, I've known this tourney base for a while. We really don't like banning characters (last time I checked)

I know how you feel, honestly, my friends would tell you I do.

Just ... yea, we don't ban characters, its not the way to improve the game.
The game needs more than an anti-tripping patch for it to be a balanced fighting game.

Hell, Ganondorf is my fav, but he's a slow panda now, I don't think they intended him to suck like he does, but they did intend him to be slow.
I was going to quit over Ganon, but realized they made him slow on purpose (because he's OMG old man ganny) so I switched to a faster character because I like speed more. I'm happier where I am at.
I can't do crap about Meta.
But I don't wan't to get angry at 'one' thing and have that be the thing I target. Theres too much in the game for you to target one thing.

Target inifinites, target each characters broken sh*t, aspects of the game that infuriate people, rather than just one character.
Taking Meta off will just mean the next person gets angry at the next broken thing.

I duno, I'm glad your motivated enough to take action, but, we don't ban characters.

Whatever happends though, I hope everything works out for the sake of fun.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Session Start (SCOTU42: pacmanvay): Tue Oct 14 15:40:57 2008
[15:40] pacmanvay: (Link: http://www.smashboards.com/showthre...//www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=199362
[15:40] *** Auto-response sent to pacmanvay: I am currently away from the computer.
[15:40] pacmanvay: Please consider banning metaknight
[15:41] pacmanvay: I would greatly appreciate it
[15:55] *** "pacmanvay" signed off at Tue Oct 14 15:55:43 2008.
Session Close (pacmanvay): Tue Oct 14 17:04:35 2008

Session Start (SCOTU42: pacmanvay): Wed Oct 15 01:06:38 2008
[01:06] pacmanvay: Oh
[01:06] pacmanvay: I wanted to point out
[01:06] pacmanvay: My thread on banning meta
[01:06] pacmanvay: Was a troll thread
[01:06] pacmanvay: I made it to start an argument
[01:10] SCOTU42: ಠ_ಠ
[01:10] SCOTU42: words cannot describe that face.'
[01:12] pacmanvay: Yeah
[01:12] pacmanvay: I just edited the OP to say "this was a joke"
[01:12] pacmanvay: And I'll see how long it takes people to notice
[01:12] SCOTU42: why
[01:12] SCOTU42: why alex why
[01:14] pacmanvay: Why?
[01:14] pacmanvay: For the lulz

I don't get it.

Vayseth

Smash Master
Awww, Dan, you had to ruin it?

Okay, okay, listen:

I think that both sides have their merits to the argument. But, it is 100% foolish to actually ban a character right now. I said in a post in the big michigan topic that 1. I hate when people try to change this game and 2. people have learned how to play against metaknight, the best players just happen to be playing metaknight (which is why he's placing everywhere) and we'd never be able to show our faces to EVO if we did this.

Now, no offense to anyone, but I don't feel like banning Metaknight is a good choice. Sorry for leading you all on, but I did it mainly to see who was on what side of this debate, and it seems like everyone is against this. It was just my little social experiment to prove to a lot of people that this banning of metaknight has a lot less people behind it than some like to think it does. I'm sure we can get around to banning him in the future, but right now, I don't see the point.

But seriously guys, the car metaphor was TOO GOOD.

And any mod can close this thread now. Dan ruined it =(

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I'd say something but I might end up offending Overswarm if I said it.

And there was that one saying about not saying anything at all if I have nothing nice to say.

So uh... I've already said too much.

Nice photo Aura.

nightelf56

Smash Cadet
I think you're thinking a bit too locally. We're not the only region that has TOs wanting to ban MK... and the louder we are, the better it gets :D
Well, DUH.

He going to speak locally. It's on the Midwest board. The topic involves the Midwest.

Wafles

Smash Lord
I'd be tempted to ban MK dittos instead. God those are so boring.

IE: Two people both want to use MK? Solution: No one can!

But that's just because I dislike dittos in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom