• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mindgames...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LibertyD

Smash Rookie
Ugh. This is seemigly a n00bish question to ask. I've mained Snake for a while, and actually one of the higher Snakes in my area, but latley, I feel as if I'm lacking possibly mindgames(?). I constantly place aroud 9th all the time, out of 60-70 ppl, which is bothering me quite a bit. The tops consist of Snakes mostly and they just seem to outsmart me, by the way they play. How do you play, and how is it effective? I'm more of a physical Snake with avg. use of Gernades, but I don't feel I use them right. A better question to ask is how to play Snake the most EFFECTIVE way possible, and a way to maximize his potential?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated ^_^

FrozenFire13

Smash Ace
Oh geez. There are so many different tactics and strategies, that I don't have time (really I don't, I'm sitting in class right now) to go into depth. All I can suggest right now is strategy. Snake hits hard, sure, but his potential lies within his ability to control the stage. Use his moves to restrict the opponents options and damage them with their own mistakes, if that makes sense. Rushing in and just swinging isn't the best option.

-Ran

Smash Master
Mind games:

1. Giving your opponent a different 'look' when they are expecting a specific reaction.
example -> Rather than doing an F-tilt, or U-Tilt, you do a Down-Tilt to refresh the move queue.
2. Conditioning your opponent to react to a stimulus the same way so you can take advantage of it later.
example -> Every time your opponent is recovering off stage, you edge hog. They then assume that they need to recover high every time and that you are passive. This then sets up an easy Bair/Fair/Nair/u-tilt later in the game when you need to finish them.
3. Repetitive Move use to frustrate.
example -> Every time your opponent attacks, you grenade counter. Their approach slows down, and you are able to exploit.
4. Tech chases.
Example -> Down throw. If you can get it to where you can predict your opponent for six throws, you're going to destroy their mentality.
5. False approaches.
Example -> You cautiously move forwards towards your opponent. Prior to entering F-Tilt range, you instead dash the other way into a mortar slide. If the opponent chases, they'll be hit.
6. Prediction of defense.
Example -> Your opponent constantly spot dodges your attacks. Instead of doing an F-tilt, you go into a Dash grab, or a slightly charged F-Smash.
7. False Traps.
Example -> Placing a C4 at the middle of the stage that you have no intention of detonating every time you can. Eventually, you detonate it when they are ontop of it after they ignore it completely.

I could go on, but I'm at work.

In competitive gaming, I tend to go with the rule of three. I can assume that after doing a move three times, that my opponent is going to have come up with a suitable counter measure or will change their behavior to cope with what I've done.
First use -> Observation.
Second use -> Pattern found.
Third use -> Change of behavior/counter found.
Most of my mind games are based off of this, and it does wonders. I then even use the 'three count' as a mind game, since I'm forcing them through their progression to a counter/change of behavior.

I iHAX I

Smash Rookie
even though this sounds like it would never work, trust me it works.

A small mind game i use on ppl is i walk around instead of run. I no it seems stupid but iono what it is but it seems to trip ppl out or trick them or something but it works! lol

-Ran

Smash Master
even though this sounds like it would never work, trust me it works.

A small mind game i use on ppl is i walk around instead of run. I no it seems stupid but iono what it is but it seems to trip ppl out or trick them or something but it works! lol
As Snake, you should almost always be walking to approach make use of your tilts.

superglucose

Smash Apprentice
Seconded, Ran. I'd say the only real exception to the 'always walk' rule of thumb is if you are retreating or going for a dash attack/mortar slide/hyphen smash.

Speaking of which, there's a mindgame I personally find effective: hyphen smash instead of mortar slide.

ZSnake

Smash Cadet
Really good question liberty D, And amazing answers Ran Iji, i needed help on the same thing also for some reason, cause i dont do my best when i should at times, If theres more you can say Ran Iji, Please go on, cause im trying to get even better with snake everyday and improve to my fullest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom