• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Minecraft

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I think I might do an LP of a hardcore map since there's a serious objective now.

Seikend

Smash Journeyman
Is there a way to have both V1.7.3 and the latest version on the same computer?

The only thing I could think of is saving a backup for both of the Application Data Folders for both versions and switching to the one I want at any given time but I'm not sure if that'll work.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
In theory that should work. The only other way to do it would be to somehow get inside to source code and editing it yourself to tell it to go to folder X for version Y.

John2k4

The End of an Era
Yeah, pretty much.
I'll look into writing a simple batch file that you can place anywhere on the computer, and have it change your versoin by renaming jars... :)

:phone:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
There is some site that legally has access to all the .jar files you can download.

However, I'm not sure what it is.

Patinator

Smash Champion
Y'know... I kinda wish they'd make it so on Peaceful mode you don't take damage. That way, you'd have the whole not-worrying-about-dying thing on Creative mode, but you'd still have to gather the resources to build things, something I enjoy about Survival. I almost always play on peaceful mode on my survival maps. Obviously, being able to switch between classic and survival would not work very well, so making the player invincible on peaceful mode would be nice. Actually, that's how Total Miner: Forge is, which is, well, one of several Minecraft rip-offs on XBL...

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
pre 1.9 v. 3 was released today

Interesting things: Potion making, baby animals, enchanting which currently just makes things glow, mysterious "Portal-like" structures that spawn in strongholds that currently do nothing
Notch confirmed the portals lead to the "Ender" dimension were the endermen and ender dragons live

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Wait. Is there going to be a third realm synonymous with the Nether and the Overworld?

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Wait. Is there going to be a third realm synonymous with the Nether and the Overworld?
The "Sky World", which apparently is being remade into an enderman theme.

It's existed in the code, since 1.8 at least (Maybe 1.7) but never used.

(No, not the Aether mod, the sky world)

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

The Ender Realm

Keep in mind that dragon hasn't been skinned yet

BTW, spoilers!

D

Deleted member

pre 1.9 v. 3 was released today

Interesting things: Potion making, baby animals, enchanting which currently just makes things glow, mysterious "Portal-like" structures that spawn in strongholds that currently do nothing
Notch confirmed the portals lead to the "Ender" dimension were the endermen and ender dragons live
they're actually going to keep doing this? having buggy "official" (that barely pass alpha standard, let alone being beta) releases was bad enough but now it seems they want everyone to run nightly builds or something.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Would have been cool if they incorporated the aether mod in there somehow.

And anyway, I hope all these additions don't mess up what minecraft is at its core. That and I hope it doesn't make it so my computer can't handle it no more. :I

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Would have been cool if they incorporated the aether mod in there somehow.

And anyway, I hope all these additions don't mess up what minecraft is at its core. That and I hope it doesn't make it so my computer can't handle it no more. :I
Yeah, that's what I'm worried / hoping against.

Patinator

Smash Champion
Y'know... I don't know if Notch being so open about everything is good. Seems to me it's kinda like with Lionhead and Fable, he mentions something and it gets forgotten while he's making... stuff like a world of Enderdudes.

(not complaining, it's cool!)

But imagine how surprised people'd be if he'd kept that secret, then 1.9 or 1.10 or whatever rolls around and BEWM...

Meh.

...*is still impatiently waiting for lanterns*

John2k4

The End of an Era
I think 1.9 will be the last release before Minecraft's official release at Minecon in November.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
I hope Notch releases a 1.10 so I can see people say "hurr but 1.10 is the same as 1.1"

Patinator

Smash Champion
Well, from a literal, numerical point of view, it is :p Since 0's at the end of a number after a decimal are, well, gotten rid of, 1.10 means 1.1... but in programming and program version terms, things are different~ It's no reason to make fun of people anyway. :<

Anyway, all this new stuff looks good. I just hope Notch runs out of ideas so he can fix the small stuff, like pickaxes being used on wooden slabs...

I love Minecraft.

RuNNing Riot

Smash Lord
Well, from a literal, numerical point of view, it is :p Since 0's at the end of a number after a decimal are, well, gotten rid of, 1.10 means 1.1... but in programming and program version terms, things are different~ It's no reason to make fun of people. :<
I thought you didn't get decimal points when talking in binary anyway. :(

And yeah, I'd rather Notch made these fixes of lots of little things rather than put out these huge changes which could well only make the game even buggier/more nonsensical.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
I dunno if I like minecraft that much anymore. There's just so much stuff getting made, I'm not sure if I'm liking how complex it's getting. I really don't feel like going in survival and then stumbling into a stronghold and get lost in there forever leaving behind the stuff I have built above ground and then dying eventually, losing all the loot I had when I explored in there, and starting all over again

Minecraft is becoming too complex for my tastes. Besides, there's other better stuff that they still haven't gotten to making they told us they'd make

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Right now, critics say minecraft is "Fun, but not a good game"

They say that because there is no storyline or objective.

Notch is trying to add some kind of progression before it's "Released" to "Make it feel like a game"

D

Deleted member

who cares what the critics say when you're selling millions?

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Mojang should. He's sold millions and the game isn't even done yet. Good critic reviews are what get future buyers. It doesn't matter if lots of people like it now, if IGN and the like don't like it, they'll lose a lot of sales.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Right now, critics say minecraft is "Fun, but not a good game"

They say that because there is no storyline or objective.

Notch is trying to add some kind of progression before it's "Released" to "Make it feel like a game"
Who cares what the critics say?

Although the only "progression" problem I found was funny was that the easiest way to kill spiders was via bow & arrow since spiders are large. But to get the string for the arrows, you need to...kill...spiders...

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Mojang should. He's sold millions and the game isn't even done yet. Good critic reviews are what get future buyers. It doesn't matter if lots of people like it now, if IGN and the like don't like it, they'll lose a lot of sales.
You say this as if people haven't already decided whether or not they want Minecraft.

Haha, but that can't be it. Surely you mean something else.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
There's always going to be people who haven't decided on the game yet. And those people will look at reviews.

Top Bottom