• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Miracle Of Light - Palutena in SSB4 (Featuring Cereza from Bayonetta-series)

TsuKiyoMe

Smash Journeyman
Saw that someone posted a "Chain Grab" for Sheik on Facebook.

It's done by doing Down Throw, Up Air, Fast Fall, landing, and then grabbing them once the momentum carries them downwards. Granted, this isn't a true "chain grab" as opponents can get out of it by DI'ing out of it. Still, it's a nifty reset/gimmick.

Made me wonder if this holds true for Palutena since her NAir and Up Air function relatively the same. . . and not surprisingly on the first time I attempt it, it works.

So you basically have these options:

• Down Throw into Nair
  • Down Throw into Nair, Fast Fall, Grab
  • Down Throw into Nair, Fast Fall, Jab - FSmash or Up Smash

I can't guarantee they'll always work but just having that knowledge that you can use this as a mixup/reset is pretty cool. People expect you to just NAir and be done with it the whole match and then you fast fall it into a kill setup is pretty brutal.

Edit: I used NAir in my (super brief, like 2 minutes) testing. The landing frames from Up Air makes me think it doesn't work so I didn't try it but in theory it might.

Edit 2: Other fun thing I've been working on is gimmicks with Lightweight.

If you pop LW then turn around, then turn around again, Palutena will slide. If you do slight tilts of the joystick back and forth Palutena will keep spinning and slide across the stage at a very high speed while maintaining a neutral stance that you can perform any action out of. I don't know how useful this is but I wanna mess around with it.

Last edited:

rpgcaster

Smash Apprentice
I'm starting to feel a little disheartened. I picked up Dedede as a secondary a week ago and it already feels like my Dedede is better than my Palutena... it's just so much more of a struggle to win with Palu. Nothing's going to make me stop playing her but, it's just a little disheartening losing the same matchups again and again with the feeling of not improving a bit.

That being said, TsuKiyoMe's recent post interests, I might try this~

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
Palu's Upair has spike hitboxes, it's weird. Also, Upsmash to punish get ups is soo good, I've gotten so many kills off it. Palu is about footsies and more so than a lot of characters because she doesn't have a lot of spacing moves she can throw out safely. Fair/Bair/Jab/Shield are good in neutral, but that's not very many options yet they are still solid enough. I think fast characters beat Palu though w/out customs.

Dtilt is amazing vs Kirby! It might be good vs all short characters. The hit box is perfect for them and stops approaches. I've noticed the auto-reticle is good vs Kirby too because he doesn't have a lot of space to avoid it.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
Saw that someone posted a "Chain Grab" for Sheik on Facebook.

It's done by doing Down Throw, Up Air, Fast Fall, landing, and then grabbing them once the momentum carries them downwards. Granted, this isn't a true "chain grab" as opponents can get out of it by DI'ing out of it. Still, it's a nifty reset/gimmick.

Made me wonder if this holds true for Palutena since her NAir and Up Air function relatively the same. . . and not surprisingly on the first time I attempt it, it works.

So you basically have these options:

• Down Throw into Nair
  • Down Throw into Nair, Fast Fall, Grab
  • Down Throw into Nair, Fast Fall, Jab - FSmash or Up Smash

I can't guarantee they'll always work but just having that knowledge that you can use this as a mixup/reset is pretty cool. People expect you to just NAir and be done with it the whole match and then you fast fall it into a kill setup is pretty brutal.

Edit: I used NAir in my (super brief, like 2 minutes) testing. The landing frames from Up Air makes me think it doesn't work so I didn't try it but in theory it might.

Edit 2: Other fun thing I've been working on is gimmicks with Lightweight.

If you pop LW then turn around, then turn around again, Palutena will slide. If you do slight tilts of the joystick back and forth Palutena will keep spinning and slide across the stage at a very high speed while maintaining a neutral stance that you can perform any action out of. I don't know how useful this is but I wanna mess around with it.
I've been doing this for a while now. It doesn't work. They can jump out of it easily. Or even roll. Or jab. Or d-tilt. The only way this will work is if they try to dodge out of the combo. If they jump in and towards you they footstool you. The combo isn't guaranteed but it is good for racking up percent and making a string. But only if the other person has no idea what they're doing.

You can also get another grab with a shorthop f-air>jab. You can get creative with it but it won't last. They'll find a way out.

Its fun to get long strings on heavies but Falcon can jab out of it. Bowser can d-tilt out of it. Idk what other attacks people can do. I'm not saying to abandon this but don't rely on it since its easily punishable.

Also DI can kill it too. You could f-air>jab if they go too far for a nair. But it still isn't guaranteed.

Last edited:

TsuKiyoMe

Smash Journeyman
I've been doing this for a while now. It doesn't work. They can jump out of it easily. Or even roll. Or jab. Or d-tilt. The only way this will work is if they try to dodge out of the combo. If they jump in and towards you they footstool you. The combo isn't guaranteed but it is good for racking up percent and making a string. But only if the other person has no idea what they're doing.

You can also get another grab with a shorthop f-air>jab. You can get creative with it but it won't last. They'll find a way out.

Its fun to get long strings on heavies but Falcon can jab out of it. Bowser can d-tilt out of it. Idk what other attacks people can do. I'm not saying to abandon this but don't rely on it since its easily punishable.

Also DI can kill it too. You could f-air>jab if they go too far for a nair. But it still isn't guaranteed.
That's why I said "Reset/Gimmick" . . .

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
So I'm sure this has been covered already, but I'mma ask again anyway.

What's the purpose of Heavenly Light again? Is it just there to inflict minor chip damage and act as a cheap kill-snatcher in timed matches? Likewise, is Super Speed useful for anything beyond just barreling through people? I'm thinking of changing my moveset around a bit, but I can't really decide if I should try something new or stick with Autoreticle / Lightweight for spacing / approaching.

Any help would be much appreciated. I'm really enjoying her variety and I'd like to see if there's anything more I can glean from her whilst I'm training with her.

Thanks again and take care y'aaaall~

| Big D |

Smash Master
Won a tourney yesterday with Palutena :)

I played her a lot without custom moves but then before the tourney I tried them out and omg she becomes a beast.

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
On the subject of Heavenly Light:

It's bad.

Move on.
It's really fun to use in team battles if your teammate can protect you / keep opponents in the zone : P

Guys, I'm registered for a tournament called Fight Pitt that's Nov. 1st, and of course I'm using Palutena. but gosh i'm really nervous

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Won a tourney yesterday with Palutena :)

I played her a lot without custom moves but then before the tourney I tried them out and omg she becomes a beast.
We are proud of ya, and so is Palutena. :p
I still gotta do dittos around here in the daytime or something, and such, but I've been slacking so much lately.

TsuKiyoMe

Smash Journeyman
1.03 is out and apparently a bunch of balance changes were issued... yet Nintendo provides no patch notes.

What the heck? Anyone know anything? Otherwise I'll get to it as soon as I hit my lunch break.

All I know so far from Twitter is that Metaknight's throws got buffed in terms of damage.

overgamer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5026-4413-8581
Palutena Tilts are definitively much faster. Also I'm not sure, but dashing speed looks sightly increased.
Bair seems to have less landing lag. Thoses things needs further testing.

Last edited:

TsuKiyoMe

Smash Journeyman
Ok I snuck away from my desk for 5 minutes. Here's what I found:

• DTilt appears to recover a few frames faster. Other tilts seem unchanged
  • All Uncharged Smashes do 2% more damage except FSmash which does 3% more damage.
  • Throw seem to do 1% more damage except for Down Throw.
  • NAir and Up Air seem to do 2% more damage if they all connect.
  • Down Air seems to recover about the same or slightly faster. I can't tell.
  • Down Air has a strange property now if it hits grounded opponents. Instead of causing them to ground bounce, it now sends them backwards allowing you to land a Back Air or Dash Attack at low/mid percents.
  • Rocket Jump now does base 13% damage (Up from 10%). Now kills Donkey Kong at 115% raw (previously 165%...)
  • Explosive Flame recovers a few frames faster
Edit: I was unaware that there were Sweet Spot percent differences on moves. This is what I perceived as a change on her moves when in actuality this isn't the case.

Perceived percent changes on throws are cause of fractional damage.

Testing on 1/4th speed shows no frame data improvement.

Well, now I look stupid lol

RIP.

Last edited:

TsuKiyoMe

Smash Journeyman
hmm, I'm kinda skeptical though given the amount of things people have already said that are false
Be skeptical, even of what I post. What I posted is what I found in 5 minutes and I have to eyeball it.

For percents, I compared it to what I hate written down in a notepad from months ago.

I'll be testing with Juice Doom/Max Ketchum around noon when I can take a lunch break.

Last edited:

JoeInky

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JoeInky
3DS FC
4596-9442-7695
Did some testing on request of someone who directed me to that post, based on testing using two different 3DS', one updated and one not using the hold L for 1/4 speed to test duration of things.

-DTilt is exactly the same
-Uncharged smash attacks all have the exact same amount of damage
-Throws all do the same amount of damage as before
-Nair and Uair damage is unchanged
-Dair is unchanged
-Rocket Jump does 12% damage (still) and does not kill DK at 115% in either version
-Explosive flame has the exact same recovery time

Also her tilts are not much faster, stop getting placebo'd people!

Last edited:

TsuKiyoMe

Smash Journeyman
I can buy recovery times as I said, I eyeballed them in. You can't be perfect with those.

The others though, I'll do more testing when I get the chance. I used the percents posted here/what I had saved in a notepad vs. what I got on screen.

I definitely got a 115% kill with Rocket Jump though. I don't know how you explain that.

Last edited:

JoeInky

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JoeInky
3DS FC
4596-9442-7695
I can buy recovery times as I said, I eyeballed them in. You can't be perfect with those.

The others though, I'll do more testing when I get the chance. I used the percents posted here/what I had saved in a notepad vs. what I got on screen.

I definitely got a 115% kill with Rocket Jump though. I don't know how you explain that.
Rocket Jump can't kill Donkey Kong from the center of Battlefield until ~165%, in both versions. There's no changes.

Nabbitnator

Smash Ace
NNID
Nabbitz
Her tilts are not omg faster but it does look like they recover a little quicker now.

TsuKiyoMe

Smash Journeyman
Ok just snuck away again to test with JuiceDoom. to test some more things.

Apparently I was in the wrong and JoeInky is correct.

The reason why I thought these were changes is because I wasn't aware of Sweet/Sour spots on her moves (I was aware on Smashes but not the percents. I thought the percents recorded were Sweet when actuality they are Sour).

So yeah... sorry for getting everyone all excited. I should've done more testing before I jumped the gun here. As for the DK thing... I have no real explanation for that. I was able to get 125% on the center of FD trying again.

The best you can argue is moves might recover a few frames faster.

Bleh. I'm disappointed now.

Last edited:

Nabbitnator

Smash Ace
NNID
Nabbitz

The reason why I thought these were changes is because I wasn't aware of Sweet/Sour spots on her moves (I was aware on Smashes but not the percents. I thought the percents recorded were Sweet/Sour).

So yeah... sorry for getting everyone all excited.

The only thing that might be changed is the frames on her tilts. Just about everything else seems the same.

overgamer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5026-4413-8581

The reason why I thought these were changes is because I wasn't aware of Sweet/Sour spots on her moves (I was aware on Smashes but not the percents. I thought the percents recorded were Sweet/Sour).

So yeah... sorry for getting everyone all excited.

I think you're right... no changes in damage. =(
I though tilts were faster too, but after running both version at 1/4 speed, they both finished at the same time so... no speed improvements.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
This update is a lie. I was hoping it'd make Palutena more of a threat. And I fear my circle pad is already messing me up. I'll probably not play as much til the Wii U comes out. Even then I gotta get a Wii U. D:

I also gotta train Pit one day ever since that codec things happened, and I don't wanna give up on him. I need my inspiration back.

Last edited:

JoeInky

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JoeInky
3DS FC
4596-9442-7695
I don't think anyone should be expecting any changes to characters in any 1.0.x update, if anything like that ever happens, the game will go to 1.1.0

TsuKiyoMe

Smash Journeyman
I don't think anyone should be expecting any changes to characters in any 1.0.x update, if anything like that ever happens, the game will go to 1.1.0
True. Twitter is a giant s*** storm at the moment. There's so many "changes" flying by my log I can't tell what is real and what isn't. I'm kinda ashamed to be adding something that was effectively not true also. Sorry.

Last edited:

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Add Luigi to the hatred list. Stupid obnoxious character anyways, same with Mario, but I mentioned him already.
EDIT: Bringing up Ness and his own annoyance again. These stupidly obnoxious For Glory players get on my nerves way too much.

Last edited:

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
1.03 is out and apparently a bunch of balance changes were issued... yet Nintendo provides no patch notes.

What the heck? Anyone know anything? Otherwise I'll get to it as soon as I hit my lunch break.

All I know so far from Twitter is that Metaknight's throws got buffed in terms of damage.
I'm pretty sure the only balance things they have done would be to Lil Mac because of all the casual complaints. I will go and test Palu though. Congratz for winning Big D! What were your matchups like?

Last edited:

Regi_King

Smash Rookie
NNID
RegiShikimi
I just did a side by side comparison of Palutena with my sister's 3DS which is still in v1.0.2 in 1/4x speed in training mode.

There is no change at all.

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
Ok, just got back from some testing, and Palutena is pretty much the same.

I did however tested out Mario......and he feels......a bit.....buffed. I don't know if it's just me or not, but Mario's Up tilt seems to have a longer stun to it. It also seems to have this sharp knock up too. Me likey. :p

Last edited:

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Hey guys. Placebo effect aside. I think Palutena's dtilt has a lot less lag now. I'm not 100% sure as I never used her dtilt that much, but it feels much safer now. Can anyone confirm?

The ftilt may or may not have its lag reduced a frame or two, her smashes seem to have the same strength and speed. Utilt feels the same, maybe slightly faster at best.

GMaster171

Smash Ace
First time posting here, just started playing Palutena last weekend

quick question, would anyone want a more in depth guide/overview on that speed storing technique? Theres actually a lot to it and it can set up some super early kills.

Top Bottom